ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Animal House is on right now.

duckcock2.0.0

Sep 16, 2020
It is on Showtime right now, from 1:30am - 3:30am. This will be the third time I've watched this movie in its entirety, and I just don't see why it's funny.

I want to like it, I really do. I also want to like Chinese food and coffee, but I just can't.

Reactions: Falcon2323
A movie with funny parts for sure, but not the whole thing. Comedy was different back then. Movies/TV was rather tame back then. This movie went beyond the normal for it's time.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It’s the incredible volume of “one liners “, and the satire focused conventional college fraternities sororities the dean, and the timing it was made. Think Stripes.

there’s been many other National Lampoon productions some funny, some just plain dumb. This kinda started the journey. You also have several movies where actors started on Saturday Night Live and starred in hilarious films.

Low brow male humor. Still considered one of the great comedies. Outside of Caddyshack(also by Harold Ramis) probably the most quoted lines by guys.
Counter culture masterpiece. One of my favorites. Have it on DVD.

It was not a big hit with women. In fact I know of none that liked it.
I'll leave that right there.

Reactions: rogue cock
Low brow male humor. Still considered one of the great comedies. Outside of Caddyshack(also by Harold Ramis) probably the most quoted lines by guys.
Counter culture masterpiece. One of my favorites. Have it on DVD.

It was not a big hit with women. In fact I know of none that liked it.
I'll leave that right there.
I love Animal House.
~Signed, USC Sorority Chick

Last edited:
I used to think a lot of those movies were hilarious (Caddyshack, etc). I go back and watch them now and they barely elicit a chuckle. Not sure if it's the terrible acting or what.

It's kind of like going back and watching Superman and seeing all the super cheesy special effects that I thought were utterly mind-blowing at the time (though I still like Superman).

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Much different than today’s movies. No fast cars, nobody got killed, no interracial couples, no gay couples, women not equals, stereotype for blacks as pot smoking thugs, fraternity stereotype. Just a politically incorrect movie. A childish movie. But funny anyway.

Reactions: SCexpat38
It's all opinion. No right or wrong. My wife and I both love Animal House. And Caddyshack. And Stripes. OTOH, we couldn't find anything funny about Dr Strangelove or The Graduate. Recently watched Murder by Death again. Great movie! Tried to watch Clue last year. Couldn't get past 5 minutes it was so bad. To each his/her own. Find someone who enjoys the same films as you and ask them for advice on what to watch next. Odds are you'll enjoy movies a whole lot more.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
A movie with funny parts for sure, but not the whole thing. Comedy was different back then. Movies/TV was rather tame back then. This movie went beyond the normal for it's time.

That's it in a nut shell. You can't judge the film looking back through 2021 lens. It was the funnies movie I had ever seen up until that time. Plus, I thought the film did an excellent job depicting college life in that time period.

Frat boys haven't changed all that much.
I don't know...I don't remember too many guys dying of alcohol poisoning and hazing. I think maybe that when I was in school the drinking age was 18 so we were already drinking since 16...we were use to the alcohol. Heck, most of the frats have been kicked off campus at my school.

I don't know...I don't remember too many guys dying of alcohol poisoning and hazing. I think maybe that when I was in school the drinking age was 18 so we were already drinking since 16...we were use to the alcohol. Heck, most of the frats have been kicked off campus at my school.
There are many other areas in which they have not changed.

I thought the gross out genre was funny when I was younger. Doesn't resonate with me now.

That's it in a nut shell. You can't judge the film looking back through 2021 lens. It was the funnies movie I had ever seen up until that time. Plus, I thought the film did an excellent job depicting college life in that time period.

It came out my senior year of high school. And, it was probably the single-biggest reason I decided to give college a try.
I wish I was lying.

I watched it for the first time on VHS when I was a teenager, which is probably the best time to watch it. Up until I was about 20, I basically thought it was the funniest movie I had ever seen. As I've gotten older, I'd say I like it a good bit less. I'll still watch it, but it is pretty problematic in the way it treats women and minorities. The "primitive cultures" scene is particularly cringeworthy. Call me a snowflake, I don't care.

That said, there are some hilarious moments in that movie that hold up. Some of the best parts are the subtle throwaway lines. Belushi is at his best, though he's not everyone's cup of tea. The music is fantastic. In its own way, it captures a specific period in history which is interesting to visit. Ultimately, I won't fault someone for thinking it's the funniest movie ever, but I won't fault someone who just doesn't like it either.

It's all opinion. No right or wrong. My wife and I both love Animal House. And Caddyshack. And Stripes. OTOH, we couldn't find anything funny about Dr Strangelove or The Graduate. Recently watched Murder by Death again. Great movie! Tried to watch Clue last year. Couldn't get past 5 minutes it was so bad. To each his/her own.

I love pretty much all of these movies (haven't seen Murder by Death yet). Stripes is underrated. Dr. Strangelove and The Graduate aren't really supposed to be hilarious romps, so if you go into those movies expecting to see another Animal House, you will be disappointed. There aren't a ton of scenes in those movies that are rolling on the floor funny. They're much more subtle movies, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, to be true.

I love pretty much all of these movies (haven't seen Murder by Death yet). Stripes is underrated. Dr. Strangelove and The Graduate aren't really supposed to be hilarious romps, so if you go into those movies expecting to see another Animal House, you will be disappointed. There aren't a ton of scenes in those movies that are rolling on the floor funny. They're much more subtle movies, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, to be true.

I loved The Graduate it was a great movie for it's time, I didn't care for Dr. Strangelove.

Meh, frat life has been gutted by p.c. culture. Can't do half the fun stuff we used to do.

Can we "Dance with Your Women"
"Otis, My Man"

Read an article on Otis a while back - formed a career around this movie and music.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT