ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Any Watch Enthusiasts?

Planning to buy my first "luxury" watch. Anybody got suggestions - good or bad. Experiences?

Guess you better define “luxury”. What $$$ amount we talkin’ here? I have two Tags and love them with my eye on a third. Also a Tudor.

Thanks! GO COCKS! BEAT UNC!

Guess you better define “luxury”. What $$$ amount we talkin’ here? I have two Tags and love them with my eye on a third. Also a Tudor.

Last edited:
I have a small collection including two Tag's, a Hamilton and a Tissot, all Swiss made. You can get a great Hamilton, which like one of my Tag's is automatic, that is, it does not use a battery to keep the watch running. Automatics are the better grade watches, even though they don't keep time as well as a quartz. All of the big names feature an automatic watch ranging in price from say $750.00 tp $75,000.00. One of my Tag's and a Tissot are quartz, and to tell you the truth, I just don't wear them unless I am fishing are hunting. My auto's, a Tag Aquaracer and a Hamilton Viewmatic, get the most wear. The appeal is the mechanical watch itself. Check out Watch You Seek on line. Just get an automatic and give it to your grandchild. By the way, Omega, Tissot and Hamilton are all under the Swatch Group of watches. They all share similar Swiss made movements. It gets real technical after that. Make sure that you get a USA warranty.

Last edited:
I'd pass unless it has a USA warranty. That is if I were buying an automatic watch as opposed to quartz.

I’m old and old fashioned too. I’m leery of investing in something like that over the internet. I prefer to deal with a reputable jeweler/dealer that I have built a relationship with over time. You may pay more in the front end but over time it will pay off if you negotiate the price. Also, once you get the bug, more than likely, this won’t be your only luxury watch.

I personally enjoy my Seiko Kinetic. No battery. Have had no issues in the 5 years I have owned this one or the previous one I owned for 3 years before losing that one.

There’s not a lot of things in this world you will buy and still be satisfied 8 years later. I’d say the Seiko Kinetic watch was the best purchase I’ve made.

Reactions: woodruffcock
Go to 47th in Manhattan otherwise known as Diamond and Jewelry Way. Check out a dealer called Renaissance Gems . They deal in mostly used Rolex watches. Reconditioned and authenticated. You can go up to the official Rolex US offices about 6 blocks away and they will authenticate for free. You can get the full gamut of Rollie watches at very reasonable prices. Have been dealing with them since 1991.

Reactions: woodruffcock
I realize this is a different conversation than just a regular old watch for knowing the time but..... I just don't get the point in a watch. There is a clock everywhere now.

You are correct. Watches today are more of a fashion statement than anything else. Just like a pair of shoes, neck tie, belt. It’s an accessory to your wardrobe. I own ~20 watches in a wide price range and enjoy choosing which one to wear every day! Being retired I’ve got a lot of time on my hands (haha) and it’s one of my vices!

Reactions: Cybercock
Just get the Speedmaster Pro and enjoy it for the rest of your life. That would be a fabulous watch from a great company. Make sure you buy it at an authorized dealer. Remember, the first cost is the least cost!

The first thing I grab during a spat or breakup is my watch case. Now, I don't go high end like Tag/Rolex etc (although I can) .... I like the Citizen echo watches, and really like large bezel Bulovas (these are $500-800 range). Semi Affordable, reliable, and distinctive pieces. If I'm on a job site, normally people around me start quietly upgrading their timepieces....just sayin' !

Last edited:
My friend gave me an Orient for my birthday. Like it more and more as I wear it.
It's an offshoot of Seiko. Always had quartz, but liking and learning more about automatic.

My friend gave me an Orient for my birthday. Like it more and more as I wear it.
It's an offshoot of Seiko. Always had quartz, but liking and learning more about automatic.

Also invest in a good automatic watch winder. I have a Wolf brand. Beautiful and quiet. That you can buy on line and save a ton. Got mine through Hayneedle.

Now you broke the code, thanks. Once you get an automatic you can't go back. Listen to yourself and get that Omega that you want. Most people that post on this site don't have a clue and are always trying to steer people to the cheap. I have been where you are, just do it and enjoy it. I can attest that you will be a happy man.

Now you broke the code, thanks. Once you get an automatic you can't go back. Listen to yourself and get that Omega that you want. Most people that post on this site don't have a clue and are always trying to steer people to the cheap. I have been where you are, just do it and enjoy it. I can attest that you will be a happy man.

Thanks gun

Reactions: cockgun
You are correct. Watches today are more of a fashion statement than anything else. Just like a pair of shoes, neck tie, belt. It’s an accessory to your wardrobe. I own ~20 watches in a wide price range and enjoy choosing which one to wear every day! Being retired I’ve got a lot of time on my hands (haha) and it’s one of my vices!

Come to think of it, neck ties are pretty worthless items from a practical standpoint.
I would argue that belts and shoes do serve a purpose however

I'm not a watch enthusiast, but can you really go wrong with a Rolex? I'm sure there are plenty of nice watches out there, some of which may actually be better and more expensive than a Rolex, but among the general population, isn't it widely viewed as a standard-bearer among expensive watches?

Franck Muller watches. As good as Patek Phillipe at a fifth of the price. Rolex is the watch of the people that don't know luxury watches.

I realize this is a different conversation than just a regular old watch for knowing the time but..... I just don't get the point in a watch. There is a clock everywhere now.

Same here. I'm 55 and have never worn a watch. My phone tells me it's 5:54 AM as I type this.

Reactions: Cybercock
I wouldn't consider myself a watch enthusiast, although I do have a Tissot and a Movado.
When I go scuba diving I wear a 60.00 Casio, waterproof, I can set alarms for a safety stop and will illuminate in some darker areas. I learned by observation that the more expensive dive watch you have greatly increases the odds that either a) an air tank will come crashing down on it or b) it will somehow slip off as you watch drop until you can't see it anymore.

Planning to buy my first "luxury" watch. Anybody got suggestions - good or bad. Experiences?

Thanks! GO COCKS! BEAT UNC!
I’d have to ask you, what your hobbies are? Then ask if you want a watch they you never take off and the way you dress? IE, causal ? Business attire etc..

I’d have to ask you, what your hobbies are? Then ask if you want a watch they you never take off and the way you dress? IE, causal ? Business attire etc..

The beauty of the watch he is considering, an Omega Speedmaster Pro, which has a lot of history behind it, is the fact that it can be worn with anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT