ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Midlands Golf Course for Beginners?

northwoods golf course is not bad at all for the beginner. the back nine is a little more difficult but still isn't too bad. located near i-20 and farrow rd.

Does anyone have any current information on Persimmon Hill near Saluda? And what about Indian River, the course with the large, undulating greens near the Columbia Airport? It used to be a good place to play. I'm talking about the 90s, now.

Does anyone have any current information on Persimmon Hill near Saluda? And what about Indian River, the course with the large, undulating greens near the Columbia Airport? It used to be a good place to play. I'm talking about the 90s, now.
oh yes persimmon hill was fun back in those days, haven't heard anything about persimmon for awhile.

Was a pretty nice course, enjoyed the layout. One of our group called up one day and they said they had lost 4 greens but you could play the rest. It didn't sound too good. That was months ago.

Was a pretty nice course, enjoyed the layout. One of our group called up one day and they said they had lost 4 greens but you could play the rest. It didn't sound too good. That was months ago.
Which course are you talking about, now? Indian River or Persimmon Hill?

The way you described the hole,that sounds like that uphill par 3 with a 2 tier green.the 3rd or 4 th hole.
Well yes the par 3 is more like a triple tiered green now. The par 5 back toward the road has the green that was tore up. That hole has two separate greens that have about 10-15 yards between them. The back green is where the yardage markers are meant for.
I used to love playing Indian River maybe over a decade ago. When their GM passed away in 2009 or so, they have really struggled to have anything presentable. That course is a goat track right now. They have no practice putting green. In fact at one point they had two practice holes with pins on the back of the 18 th green. We had to wait for 2 people to clear from practicing so we could hit our approach shots. They can’t make up their mind which side is the front as they have alternated it a few times. Hole 6 is nothing but sand. Crazy part is they have torn down a bunch of trees on the right of hole 3 and the left side between 4 is entirely clear as they are going to be building houses it seems. I’ve always held out hope for that course but don’t think anything will change until the owner sells.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
The best bet is the driving range. The putting green is the best place for the beginner. Learning to have some success putting first is better than trying to learn to hit the ball with thirteen other clubs, this according to many teaching pros. Getting young players some help is the best way to get them started. They can learn to do some things correctly before developing so many poor habits.

Reactions: uscg1984
Well yes the par 3 is more like a triple tiered green now. The par 5 back toward the road has the green that was tore up. That hole has two separate greens that have about 10-15 yards between them. The back green is where the yardage markers are meant for.
I used to love playing Indian River maybe over a decade ago. When their GM passed away in 2009 or so, they have really struggled to have anything presentable. That course is a goat track right now. They have no practice putting green. In fact at one point they had two practice holes with pins on the back of the 18 th green. We had to wait for 2 people to clear from practicing so we could hit our approach shots. They can’t make up their mind which side is the front as they have alternated it a few times. Hole 6 is nothing but sand. Crazy part is they have torn down a bunch of trees on the right of hole 3 and the left side between 4 is entirely clear as they are going to be building houses it seems. I’ve always held out hope for that course but don’t think anything will change until the owner sells.
Sad to see that report but I appreciate the information.

That's disappointing to hear about Indian River. When I was in Columbia in the mid 90s, that was one of my favorite courses.

The best bet is the driving range. The putting green is the best place for the beginner. Learning to have some success putting first is better than trying to learn to hit the ball with thirteen other clubs, this according to many teaching pros. Getting young players some help is the best way to get them started. They can learn to do some things correctly before developing so many poor habits.
Oh, yes, he's had lessons and makes regular visits to the range and the practice green. He's played 9 holes at a couple of goat-track courses out here that are just now emerging from winter conditions, but now its time to put it all together and have some fun on a "real" course.

Reactions: F-86F
Charwood, years back had 3 different 9 hole courses which were kind of average. They did away with one 9 and now a good little 18 hole course. Greens were good and they use a good many waste areas to give the course a better look. I enjoy playing there.

Charwood, years back had 3 different 9 hole courses which were kind of average. They did away with one 9 and now a good little 18 hole course. Greens were good and they use a good many waste areas to give the course a better look. I enjoy playing there.
I enjoyed playing the “white” course more than the blue or red.atleast they got a few of them in the 18.To me it made you hit golf shots instead of just hitting it down the fairway.

I remember Crickentree. Although I never played there, people from the Lancaster area used to go down there and play. It is certainly possible I confused the situations. I do remember hearing about some hard times at LinRick, as it is spelled. Since the Recession of 2008, so many have closed or gone through great travail that I could easily get a couple of them confused. Thanks for jogging my memory.
Just didn’t think it could be Linrick, it’s been run by Richland county forever, i wouldn’t think it could ever have had any financial trouble!

We had to stop playing at the Trail. The greens got terrible and there is rocks and weeds in the so called sand traps. It has a pretty good lay out. It just needs some attention.
I call it "Gravel Trail". The very first time I played there, I took a nice chunk out of my 9 iron from hitting a rock....IN THE FAIRWAY! Now, that was in its early, early days, but still.
I've played it a few times since. It's usually in rough shape; especially in the winter.

I really, really, really hated to see Coopers Creek sold and "repurposed". 😫 That was a fun course - always ate my lunch - but a fun course.

There was another fun little public course down I-20 toward Aiken - off of exit 22 - Bogeyville. Sadly, it's long-since closed down too.

It's interesting to look those courses up on Google Earth.... sad but interesting.

Sorry for the tanget OP. 😉

I think any of the courses would be ok, just move him up to the ladies/old farts/ high handicap tees. He’ll be fine

If anybody goes to linrick for the 1st time,I recommend before you tee off on a hole ride up to see where you want to hit it.some blind tee shots if I remember correctly.A friend took me there a few years ago and told me where I should hit it.needless to say,it didn’t turn out like I planned.he didn’t tell me all the dangers over the hill I couldn’t see.

Reactions: CarolinaCocky83
If anybody goes to linrick for the 1st time,I recommend before you tee off on a hole ride up to see where you want to hit it.some blind tee shots if I remember correctly.A friend took me there a few years ago and told me where I should hit it.needless to say,it didn’t turn out like I planned.he didn’t tell me all the dangers over the hill I couldn’t see.

#3!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tankernav
Are you kidding me? Starters the course isn’t overly easy and secondly several members there are as rude as possible to people they don’t know. Not all but I have crossed paths with several and it has been following my daughter around in a scjga tournament. They fussed about the kids being in their way. DO NOT go there as a beginner

Interesting. I've always wanted to play MidCarolina just because I passed it on the way to Will B every Saturday, but have always heard they have a lot of rude members so I never made the tee time.

Interesting. I've always wanted to play MidCarolina just because I passed it on the way to Will B every Saturday, but have always heard they have a lot of rude members so I never made the tee time.

Come on by. I'm a member there and let me tell you--its full of fine, friendly people. Besides, I'm not sure how you could distinguish members from non-members since it is semi-private.

Reactions: Bazurke
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned GoldenHills in Lexington.haven’t played it since they redid the greens a few years ago.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned GoldenHills in Lexington.haven’t played it since they redid the greens a few years ago.
I’ve never played there, but I can seriously see myself bouncing a golf ball or two down 378! 🤣

I’ve never played there, but I can seriously see myself bouncing a golf ball or two down 378! 🤣
That would not be a good course for beginners. Some holes are tough and longer. #10 always got me. The course is usually in good shape.

That would not be a good course for beginners. Some holes are tough and longer. #10 always got me. The course is usually in good shape.
Lol 10 is a something else.Hole 1 isn’t for the faint at heart either,there is glass to be broken left or right.I have seen a ball or 2 next to the curb while waiting at the light.lol.

Sorry to hijack the thread op, but what kind of shape is Oakhills in, if anyone has played it recently?

I can't resist the urge to talk about golf or any aspect of it. I used to enjoy that course but I remember a lot of rocks on the property.
Myself King, although I have had a hard time getting my season started this year! Waste of some good pretty weather!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT