ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the golfers

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
Once upon a time I had a badass job. I wined and dined potential clients all over the country and internationally. I played A LOT of golf at some very famous courses from Scotland to California and everywhere in between. As I did, and as I met people I’d hear about hidden gems that weren’t so prestigious or famous. I found in the end the less prestigious were usually my favorites.

1- Your favorite course you’ve ever played in the world?

2- Your favorite course in SC?

For me, number 1 is a course called Crail in Scotland. I’m not sure if it’s the fact they’ve played golf there since 1796 or that you must have a caddy and that caddy is an old grumpy Scot who is a member (members must volunteer to caddy for guests, at least when I was there). I remember on a particular par 3 my caddy said “you want a properly struck 7 iron.” I hit the 7 and came up short. I said “6 was the club”. He said “no, a properly struck 7”

In SC there are many in the running, but it’s gotta be Palmetto in Aiken. That place oozes history and no frills, but it’s Allistar McKenzie magic.

Honorable mention would be the old University Club in Blythewood. Loved that place! Got to play with Lou Holtz and Sterling Sharp once. Sterling drove the first green on Garnet and Lou talked shit to everyone on every hole. Also volunteered for the 1998 Monday After The Masters and saw John Daly hit a putter 145 yards on a par 3. Can’t remember which 9 it was, Gold maybe?

Golf has endless good stories, what are yours?

Last edited:
My favorite course I’ve played outside of SC were the Palm and Magnolia at Disney. Maybe it’s just the fun of playing along while seeing the monorails go by but those are great courses and always well maintained.

In SC while it has been years since I played it I always enjoyed the Patriots Point course in Mt Pleasant. There are some amazing views as you play and the harbor breeze is always nice. I’ve never played another course where I’ve seen dolphins while playing.

Reactions: Holy City Cock
Played in Scotland about every 3 months pre-covid on my way to mainland Europe. Highlands golf is my favorite and Royal Dornoch is often rated higher than St Andrews in polls but very remote. Other favorite is an obscure course on the Moray Firth called Fortrose and Rosemarkie Golf Club. Two lines from caddies there I always remember. Bad tee shot at Dornoch, caddie said "we'll be finding Hilary Clinton's emails before we find that ball laddie" . Second one I had to think about after a really bad putt and didn't lose my turn at Fortrose, caddie says a couple of times "dead sheep" and just I didn't get it. Then he says "Still Ewe (you)". Looking forward to going back when Europe opens.

There are some courses I'd like to play that I probably won't ever see much less play.

I'm a fan of Moss Creek Plantation in Bluffton. I haven't played it in 30 years, but it was a beautiful layout and immaculately kept.

The Links at Stono Ferry is a nice golf course, but again, I have not played there since the 90s.

The Surf Club and Tidewater are two of my favorites in and around Myrtle Beach.

Back in the 80s I played a course that overlooked the Tampa Bay on the very south tip of St. Petersburg just before the bridge to Bradenton called Isla del Sol. I was by myself and driving by and loved the layout. It was $50 back then. I was playing so badly that I lost every ball I had in my bag. I found a couple of balls and finished 9 holes and left. I don't think I played golf again that year.

Played in Scotland about every 3 months pre-covid on my way to mainland Europe. Highlands golf is my favorite and Royal Dornoch is often rated higher than St Andrews in polls but very remote...
Royal Dornuch is legendary, and due to the remoteness you mentioned, almost mystical. I would love to go there.

Reactions: drosesc
Favorite overall would have to be Muirfield Village. Never have played outside of eastern US. Had an opportunity to play Bethpage and didn't...still want to play it.

In South Carolina it would have to be either Ocean Course at Kiawah Island or Belfair in Bluffton.

There are some courses I'd like to play that I probably won't ever see much less play.

I'm a fan of Moss Creek Plantation in Bluffton. I haven't played it in 30 years, but it was a beautiful layout and immaculately kept.

The Links at Stono Ferry is a nice golf course, but again, I have not played there since the 90s.

The Surf Club and Tidewater are two of my favorites in and around Myrtle Beach.

Back in the 80s I played a course that overlooked the Tampa Bay on the very south tip of St. Petersburg just before the bridge to Bradenton called Isla del Sol. I was by myself and driving by and loved the layout. It was $50 back then. I was playing so badly that I lost every ball I had in my bag. I found a couple of balls and finished 9 holes and left. I don't think I played golf again that year.
Never had the chance to play Miss Creek. Always wanted to.

100% agree on Surf Club. Great track.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
👍 to The Surf Club and Tidewater.. The Surf was our home course in HS.

My favorite is probably Torrey Pines

In SC it use to be Glen Dornoch (Public) before they let it go down hill, hardest 3 finishing holes anywhere - (Private) has to be Succession Golf Club

Last edited:
My favorite course I’ve played outside of SC were the Palm and Magnolia at Disney. Maybe it’s just the fun of playing along while seeing the monorails go by but those are great courses and always well maintained.

In SC while it has been years since I played it I always enjoyed the Patriots Point course in Mt Pleasant. There are some amazing views as you play and the harbor breeze is always nice. I’ve never played another course where I’ve seen dolphins while playing.
I played Valhalla several years after the Ryder Cup and my group was the only one on the course...the Friday before the Derby too...I was shocked...great course. Derby was fun too!
Mountain Top in NC is my favorite though...the experience at Sage is phenomenal but the course to me was ok.

Reactions: Dizzy01

In SC it use to be Glen Dornoch (Public) before they let it go down hill, hardest 3 finishing holes anywhere - (Private) has to be Succession Golf Club
Secession is just cool.

Reactions: rogue cock
I played Valhalla several years after the Ryder Cup and my group was the only one on the course...the Friday before the Derby too...I was shocked...great course. Derby was fun too!
Mountain Top in NC is my favorite though...the experience at Sage is phenomenal but the course to me was ok.
Sage is amazing. More impressive though is Weldon Wyatt knowing everyone’s name a year after meeting you just once. Also the night course is pretty freaking fun.

My buddies and I played Bay Hill a few years ago and the most fun was going to the locker room where there is a bar and the bartender had been there a long time and told us some great stories about Arnold. We were hoping to run into the King but didn’t. BTW... Bartender said Phil was the best tipper of any of the players.

I love to play but don’t really have a group of guys to go with. Add to that my love for bass fishing and the boat in the garage and my golfing desire takes a back seat.

El Conquistador in Puerto Rico. Very underrated. In SC, there was a great little track in Barnwell-Sweetwater. Haven't played it in years. Does anyone know the status of it now?

Pinehurst #2 is my fave, the memories of Payne Stewart roam the fairways. #8 is amazing, a lot of the locals prefer it over #2.

As far as SC, I love all of the Kiawah courses, Gary’s Cougar Point is underrated.

I’ve actually ran in to Dan Marino a couple times at Kiawah. He loves the Ocean Course.

Last edited:
Overall:
1) Pine Valley
2) Pebble Beach
3) Muirfield Village
4) Sheep Ranch
5) Cabo Del Sol (Ocean)
6) Pasatiempo
8) TPC Sawgrass
8) Caves Valley
9) Spyglass Hill
10) Atlanta Athletic Club

SC:
1) Kiawah Ocean Course
2) Sage Valley
3) Harbor Town

I haven't traveled as widely as some of y'all and my golf clubs have traveled even less. I envy some of the golfing experiences I have been reading about. About the best I can offer up is Champions Retreat in Evans, Ga., Outside of Augusta. Three nines, one each designed by Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player; truly luxurious accomodations in the form of cabins and golf chalets, all loaded with amenities; and marvelous food at the grill house. The golf courses are both diverse and very well conditioned. It's not an exotic experience but it is a total experience.

Overall:
1) Pine Valley
2) Pebble Beach
3) Muirfield Village
4) Sheep Ranch
5) Cabo Del Sol (Ocean)
6) Pasatiempo
8) TPC Sawgrass
8) Caves Valley
9) Spyglass Hill
10) Atlanta Athletic Club

SC:
1) Kiawah Ocean Course
2) Sage Valley
3) Harbor Town

That’s an impressive list brother, wish mine was that good.

I haven't played nearly as many courses as some of y'all and none that would be considered legendary courses. But, for me, the Cliffs at Glassy was probably my favorite. My golf game is so bad, I need some gorgeous scenery to improve the experience.
Once smoked something illegal on that course and the view from that par 3 overlooking the valley was a rather intense kind of beautiful.

Pinehurst #2 is my fave, the memories of Payne Stewart roam the fairways. #8 is amazing, a lot of the locals prefer it over #2.

As far as SC, I love all of the Kiawah courses, Gary’s Cougar Point is underrated.

I’ve actually ran in to Dan Marino a couple times at Kiawah. He loves the Ocean Course.
I’ve played the renovated #2 but not the version Payne won in. I act liked Pine Needles more.

Marino is a customer of ours. Never met him though, sends his assistant. Apparently he has a 12 bedroom house (per the assistant).

I haven't traveled as widely as some of y'all and my golf clubs have traveled even less. I envy some of the golfing experiences I have been reading about. About the best I can offer up is Champions Retreat in Evans, Ga., Outside of Augusta. Three nines, one each designed by Palmer, Nicklaus, and Player; truly luxurious accomodations in the form of cabins and golf chalets, all loaded with amenities; and marvelous food at the grill house. The golf courses are both diverse and very well conditioned. It's not an exotic experience but it is a total experience.
Champions is a great track. Got to play it and Augusta Country Club together. Augusta CC would be badass if everyone didn’t peer over the fence on the 11th hole that overlooks Augusta National next door.

Reactions: king ward
That’s an impressive list brother, wish mine was that good.
Yeah, I got two invites to Augusta but could not make either. Each was be here in the morning and I was working out of the country both times. Pine Valley invite was like a unicorn in a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. Kudos to that list.

Reactions: JamesRob

Used to play Patriots a couple of times a week 30/35 years ago and it was really nice. I played it for the first time since then about 6 months ago and I would rate it just above a bad muni. Could not believe it! I understand it is undergoing some radical refurbishment at the moment. Will be interesting to see the results....

I believe you mean The Secession Golf Club in Beaufort.

In Pawleys Island, Caledonia and The Reserve Club (Private) are great courses. True Blue is good but not great.

When I lived in Mt. Pleasant years ago PP was out go to course. Number 17 par 3 was about 110 yards right on the water. Depending on the wind I either hit a sand wedge or a 7 iron...brutal hole.

I played the Golden Horseshoe in Williamsburg VA that was both beautiful and dangerous at the same time. TPC in Kissimmee was up there as well. I played at Jack Nicklaus design course in Cancun that was spectacular. Locally either the Ocean Course or Chanticleer course here in Greenville.

Reactions: uscg1984
Used to play Patriots a couple of times a week 30/35 years ago and it was really nice. I played it for the first time since then about 6 months ago and I would rate it just above a bad muni. Could not believe it! I understand it is undergoing some radical refurbishment at the moment. Will be interesting to see the results....
I haven’t played there for a couple years. Hope they get it back to the former state at least. It’s too nice a location and atmosphere to just go to waste.

Outside SC: Tobacco Road in NC. This course is just different

Inside SC: Bulls Bay. Only played once, but it was fun.

Bucket list in SC: Ocean Course, Yeamans Hall (Just for the exclusivity)

When I lived in Mt. Pleasant years ago PP was out go to course. Number 17 par 3 was about 110 yards right on the water. Depending on the wind I either hit a sand wedge or a 7 iron...brutal hole.
I played PP a lot right after it opened. I used to play Charleston National too. I have not even seen either of those courses in 25 years.

I played PP a lot right after it opened. I used to play Charleston National too. I have not even seen either of those courses in 25 years.
Me either...did play Charleston National right when it opened in the late 80's. I also enjoyed the Links at Stono Ferry course in Hollywood. Had my best round ever there.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT