ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Movies From the 80’s

Christmas Vacation

Christmas_Vacation.jpg

Last edited:
I grew up in the 80s. So many great memories. Too many great songs and movies to choose from. I was listening to 80s music this morning in fact.

Some great movies:
The Goonies
Empire strikes back
Return of the Jedi
Aliens
Romancing the Stone
Fletch/Fletch 2
Die Hard
Schwarzenegger movies
Karate Kid
The Burbs
War Games
Short Circuit
Three Amigos
National Lampoons vacation
Adventures in Babysitting
Top Gun
Blade Runner
First Blood
Rocky 3/4
Lethal Weapon
Back to the Future
Indiana Jones movies

No “Scarface” ??? That was the only other one I thought deserved listing . Was “Coming to America” 80s or 90s???

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
"Hoosiers" !!

I love 80’s movies, especially the comedies. They were just creative scripts that didn’t have to be so raunchy to get a laugh.

I love Revenge of the Nerds (ok so this one is kind of raunchy) and, believe it or not, just watched The Breakfast Club for the first time recently. Never expected it to be so dramatic near the end.

What are some other 80’s classics?

No “Scarface” ??? That was the only other one I thought deserved listing . Was “Coming to America” 80s or 90s???
Good call. Think I was six when it came out so I didn't catch it until well after the 80s. Like I said, there were too many great movies to name them all. Think Coming to America was late 80s. Another good one.

Lots of great ones listed. The motion picture business has changed so much since the 80s. I miss the way the huge hits of the 80s DOMINATED the box office for an entire summer or even longer. A movie like ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark would hit #1, stay there for 5 or 6 weeks, give up that spot to a new movie for a couple of weeks, and then GO BACK to the #1 spot for another month or so. That's unheard of today. And they would continue to rank in the top 5 for months. As a kid growing up in the 80s, I can still date-stamp my memories of the summers based on the popular movies that were playing at the time. That was before endless cable channels (remember when HBO was one channel?), Netflix, and international release dates that create incentives for the studios to pull a movie from circulation the moment it's popularity wanes so they can rush it along to the next stage of revenue generation. Even blockbusters today may leave your locality within a month of its opening day.

Reactions: ClemDent
From a comedy perspective, "Vacation" w/ Chevy was solid as was "Coming to America" w/ Eddie Murphy and, of course, CaddyShack.

On a completely different topic ; who was your 80s Celebrity crush ?? Mine were Heather Thomas from “Fall Guy” and Belinda Carlisle from the GoGo’s . And the chick in the WhiteSnake Videos !! Haha .

Don’t believe I’ve seen Weird Science or Teenwolf yet. Just shows you how deep the 80s bench is.

Seriously though, tons of classic movies and music. They seemed to be a bigger part of the culture at large too. Things seem more fragmented now.

Reactions: Carolina4
Fatal Attraction
the Terminator
Indiana Jones and the lost Ark
the Empire strikes back
die Hard

Great seeing these movies listed. Amazing how many great films came out in that decade that are still entertaining to watch. Impossible to pick a few favorites for me.

Too many to name,

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Back to the Future
The Natural
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Raiders of the Lost Ark
When Harry Met Sally
A Christmas Story
Risky Business
Big
Weird Science (of only Kelly LeBrook)
Beverly Hills Cop
Airplane!
The Princess Bride
I liked The Natural so much I actually read the book. I much prefer the movie ending compared to the books.
Also, Field of Dreams. Still gets me choked up when he turns around and realizes it’s his Dad.

A few more I haven't seen mentioned....

Raising Arizona
The Blues Brothers
St. Elmo's Fire
Grosse Point Blank
Weird Science
The Adventure of Buckaroo Bonzai
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Desperately Seeking Susan
Wall Street

Plus....all the great, gory 80's horror movies.

Reactions: sclawman77
A few more I haven't seen mentioned....

Raising Arizona
The Blues Brothers
St. Elmo's Fire
Grosse Point Blank
Weird Science
The Adventure of Buckaroo Bonzai
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Desperately Seeking Susan
Wall Street

Plus....all the great, gory 80's horror movies.
Raising Arizona. Classic. I bought that dvd years ago. Hilarious.

Last edited:
Raising Arizona is one of my favorites. While a good movie, Gross Pointe Blank missed the 80s by quite a few years.

As for 80s celebrity crushes:

Molly-Ringwald-i-The-Breakfast-Club-640x480.jpg
heathers-2018-920x584.jpg
1380717658000-LMDE-REV-STIL0501.jpg

Raising Arizona is one of my favorites. While a good movie, Gross Pointe Blank missed the 80s by quite a few years.

As for 80s celebrity crushes:

Molly-Ringwald-i-The-Breakfast-Club-640x480.jpg
heathers-2018-920x584.jpg
1380717658000-LMDE-REV-STIL0501.jpg
It did miss the 80's didn't it....dang, I thought it was one of the "Brat Pack" movies.

I think I got it and "Less Than Zero" confused as far as being a Brat Pack movie....and, of course, from the 80's.

A few fave ‘Cult Classics’ from the 80s:
The Pope of Greenwich Village
Repo Man
(This is) Spinal Tap
The Sure Thing
Escape From New York &
The Thing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT