ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Best" SC BBQ Restaurant

Bridges BBQ 2000 E Dixon Blvd, Shelby, NC 28150

If it's the one on the by-pass before you get to I-85 I've eaten there a number of years back. It is good BBQ but they act like they are doing you a favor to allow one to patronize their establishment.

Reactions: cadcock
When foodies eat at Shealy's it's not for the BBQ. Their Que and hash is an afterthought on the best southern buffet in the country. Green beans, corn, greens and all their veggies are top notch and seasoned to perfection. The vegetable soup I've bought and taken home by the gallon. Catfish stew, liver nips, pulley bones, and chicken livers are unbelieveable. No wonder several of our Presidents have eaten there when visiting SC.

I once served on a Lexington County jury and when we were held over they asked where we'd like to eat. Shealy's was the easiest verdict that day so they bused us to Leesville.

Reactions: jroller
Many years ago, there was a place on HWY 1 north of Camden called Debruhl's. It's where I learned as a young boy what real barbecue tastes like.

Last edited:
Florence County BBQ is special. The rest of the state still hasn't discovered Pee Dee liver hash over rice with red gravy.

I grew up in Cheraw, but moved away after high school to go to CofC. Swear I have no recollection of red gravy, but I do enjoy a liver hash. Hannah Raskin, the food editor at the Post and Courier, asked me about red gravy recently, but I didn't have much to share. Had to do some research to share what I did. Describe red gravy for folks like me who aren't well schooled in it. TIA.

Many years ago, there was a place on HWY 1 north of Camden called Debruhl's. It's where I learned as a young boy what real barbecue tastes like.

Never ate at Debruhl's but it is a name I am familiar with. My folks are from Camden and that's what we named our youngest son. Both sets of grandparents lived on Sarsfield Ave. My mom's dad owned the block plant and my dad's father moved there from VA to come to the "new" (at the time) Dupont. A lot of fond memories for me there.

Reactions: king ward
The only place I've had liver hash and rice with red gravy was at Rogers in Florence. It's usually found near the liver hash and you have to make an effort to find it. It's got a nice spicy kick and is served warm. It may contain a bit of ketchup and vinegar but it's thin and nothing like pasta sauce.

Pot Smokers in the Vista may soon meet the same fate as it's next-door neighbor, The Flying Saucer. Lunch traffic is down and it's not competitive with the old established Q joints around town. It's a different style than what we're used to.

Like Pot Smokers, Southern Belly has resorted to Groupon sales to increase business and that's not a good sign.
God willing, The Pot Smoker will survive. I eat there at least once a week. Most of the time, it’s pretty busy.

I've heard good things about Bridge's in Shelby...are they still open? We go to Charlotte some, and we take 64 off I26 in Tryon and go thru Forest CIty/Shelby....If it's still open, i'll make it a point to stop by...I only love tomato based BBQ (upstate BBQ)....never cared for all the other...
Both Red Bridges and Alston Bridges are open. Both are good but I think Red is better. Red is on 74, Alston is more in town.

If you order a chili dog at Alston it will not have a hot dog in it. Just Chili.

I have eaten at Hog Heaven twice, one was a quick stop by for takeout, the other was a sitdown. The BBQ is good, but we'll have to agree to disagree on it vs the other two.

The Southern Belly has very tempting photos. I think their sandwiches look amazing and I like their twist on BBQ, but still haven't been there. Bucket list.

McCabe's in Manning is who you likely mean, though there are others there. I would put McCabe's in the category of elite SC BBQ.

For me, Shealy's is a great buffet that also serves BBQ. Unfortunately, we lost Jackie Hite and his restaurant soon followed. If I were in Batesburg-Leesville, I would have picked Jackie's over Shealy's, given the choice.

I'm going to be honest. When it comes to Maurice's, I have been and been completely impressed, and I have been and been disappointed. What I do respect is that they supply all those restaurants with wood-cooked BBQ and at that scale, that is impressive.

Thanks for the recommendation. There is a place that was open in both Atlanta and Savannah and BOTH restaurants ended up burning down. B's Cracklin' BBQ is owned by Bryan Furman, who grew up in Cassatt. Think he has a new place somewhere in the Atlanta area. It is another on my Bucket List.

McCabes...elite, as said above. Cannon's is a lost treasure. Mustard Seed is really good, but I went on a non-BBQ day. Think they only have BBQ on Thurs-Sat or something like that.

Great story! Never been to Sikes, but definitely have heard of it.

Country Cousins reopened in Olanta a few years ago. Run by the son of the original owners who still uses their recipes. I know people dismiss Hudson's Smokehouse but the two times I have been, I thought they were really good.

One of the most respected BBQ spots in SC, Carolina Bar-B-Que.

Tell me more...

I touched on Farm Boy's and Shealy's in this quick update. Don't remember what I said, but as I recall, I thought they were ok, not great, with good sides and poor desserts. Shealy's I have already touched on above.

Smoky Dreams continually gets good feedback when I post these kinds of questions. Need to get up there, too!

Shuler's BBQ...yes, we loved it, too.

Yep, that is the Dukes in Walterboro. I think it is the best of the Dukes we have tried.

That's a definite no. Sweatman's Bar-B-Que is still whole hogs over wood embers. Longtime pitmaster Douglas Oliver recently passed away. Maybe that has something to do with it. We loved our visits to Sweatman's even those post-Oliver.

Agreed. Still there...still good.

Second mention of Mike and Jeff's I've seen in my posts on this topic.

Bucky's, I have a lot of respect for as well. Owner Wayne Preston really seems to be a great guy.
Mustard Seed has BBQ every day, but only on the buffet on Thursday through Saturday I think. Been able to get a $4 sandwich or by the lb. every time I have stopped. The sandwich is loaded. Mustard or Vinegar. Spicy sauces.

Around 50 years ago, on Sumter Hwy, in Eastover, in the middle of no place, there was a hole-in-the-wall called Sikes. Probably an old converted garage/gas station, painted all white, inside and out. Their BBQ Plate was Hash over white rice, BBQ (sliced or minced, mine was always the sliced) Sweet Tea in big, clear, solo cups and 2 slices of white bread in a little bag. Two sons behind the counter filling plates and slinging hash. Bubba, toting in fresh trays of Hash & Q and Mama Sikes working the room with a smile, a little conversation and sweet tea refills. Always a "Hi! Y'all, how ya been?"

Either every single Friday or Saturday night, this boy would drive from Old Chapin Rd in Lexington, to Eastover for a little bit of heaven on a cardboard plate.
My parents would stop here on the way home from the beach back in the day. So good.

I grew up in Gaffney and the rare times we went out to eat, Dad would drive us to Shelby to Bridges BBQ. Still a favorite. Now I live in Greenville the best BBQ is:
1. Bobby’s in Fountain Inn (2nd best brisket)
2. Smoky Dreams (they have the best Brisket) really good mustard sauce
3. Bucky’s (ask for the spicy vinegar behind the counter)

Bobby's in Fountain Inn - Love the smoked turkey and sides. Brisket is good as well. Sides are great.
Bucky's - "Spicy vinegar behind the counter" get it ever time!

Reactions: cadcock and jroller
The only place I've had liver hash and rice with red gravy was at Rogers in Florence. It's usually found near the liver hash and you have to make an effort to find it. It's got a nice spicy kick and is served warm. It may contain a bit of ketchup and vinegar but it's thin and nothing like pasta sauce.

In our review of Shuler's, I wrote about it, thinking it was a BBQ sauce. Only after Raskin asked me about red gravy a few months ago did I realize that's what it actually was.

Mustard Seed has BBQ every day, but only on the buffet on Thursday through Saturday I think. Been able to get a $4 sandwich or by the lb. every time I have stopped. The sandwich is loaded. Mustard or Vinegar. Spicy sauces.

I had no idea, or I would have gotten the BBQ. Oh, well...guess I have to go back now!

Charleston BBQ:

Might be a bit pricey compared to some of the others mentioned...

If buffets are your thing, these may not be your best options.

https://charleston.eater.com/maps/best-barbecue-charleston-restaurants

On the SC BBQ map on our site, you can filter your search results to show you restaurants in your area that serve specific things. For instance, it will show you all the places that serve hash around you, or mustard sauce, etc. Really need to add a buffet filter option to it. (Note to self)

coopers crossroads is about 15 miles from andrews very good Q

I think Cooper's is awesome in every way. Like stepping back in time. I lived in Georgetown for 4+ years and traveled 521 to Camden to visit relatives all the time. Never once stopped in though we loved the old-timey look of the place. Years later we made a point of going when my youngest was playing in a baseball tournament in the area. Old-school in every sense. Got our sandwiches with some Blenheim ginger ale and a couple of to-go containers for later. As we wrote in the review, great stuff!

Reactions: king ward
Around 50 years ago, on Sumter Hwy, in Eastover, in the middle of no place, there was a hole-in-the-wall called Sikes. Probably an old converted garage/gas station, painted all white, inside and out. Their BBQ Plate was Hash over white rice, BBQ (sliced or minced, mine was always the sliced) Sweet Tea in big, clear, solo cups and 2 slices of white bread in a little bag. Two sons behind the counter filling plates and slinging hash. Bubba, toting in fresh trays of Hash & Q and Mama Sikes working the room with a smile, a little conversation and sweet tea refills. Always a "Hi! Y'all, how ya been?"

Either every single Friday or Saturday night, this boy would drive from Old Chapin Rd in Lexington, to Eastover for a little bit of heaven on a cardboard plate.
Many, many trips to Sikes while growing up in Sumter for Friday night and Saturday afternoon meals with the grandparents from Cayce who would drive far and wide for good eats. Man, I miss them.

Later, my high school sweetheart and I would drive over for date nights- been married for 23 to that same girl. We moved to Florence years later and gotta give props to the old Country Cousins in Scranton. The best BBQ is worth a little ride.

In our review of Shuler's, I wrote about it, thinking it was a BBQ sauce. Only after Raskin asked me about red gravy a few months ago did I realize that's what it actually was.

I had no idea, or I would have gotten the BBQ. Oh, well...guess I have to go back now!

On the SC BBQ map on our site, you can filter your search results to show you restaurants in your area that serve specific things. For instance, it will show you all the places that serve hash around you, or mustard sauce, etc. Really need to add a buffet filter option to it. (Note to self)

I think Cooper's is awesome in every way. Like stepping back in time. I lived in Georgetown for 4+ years and traveled 521 to Camden to visit relatives all the time. Never once stopped in though we loved the old-timey look of the place. Years later we made a point of going when my youngest was playing in a baseball tournament in the area. Old-school in every sense. Got our sandwiches with some Blenheim ginger ale and a couple of to-go containers for later. As we wrote in the review, great stuff!
That's just a wonderful, informative post. Having once lived in Georgetown, and having occasionally traveled 521 back and forth down there - not much recently - I've certainly passed Cooper's without knowing the significance of it. I won't make that mistake again.

Sikes closed around 1990, it was definitely one of the best.

Reactions: ElcidCock97
Mustard on BBQ is a sin and one of the few things I don't miss about Columbia. The answer to this question is the original Scott's BBQ in Hemingway. It is by far the best imo, with any variation of Brown's (Kingstree), Schoolhouse (Scranton), Country Cousin's (old one by the cotton gin and Allison's gas station was great) and McCabe's rounding out the top 5. The fact is, the Pee Dee pepper vinegar style is the best this state has to offer.

Last edited:

It’s called Margeret’s now and they serve up a damn good breakfast!

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail

I don't want to get too far off of barbecue, but do you or anyone else familiar with the Sumter area remember - this goes back to the 1960s - a truck stop near Sumter that had a nice eating place that served outstanding steaks - a place called Frank's?

Have not ready every post, but I assume just about every BBQ restaurant in SC has been mentioned by about now.

That's just a wonderful, informative post. Having once lived in Georgetown, and having occasionally traveled 521 back and forth down there - not much recently - I've certainly passed Cooper's without knowing the significance of it. I won't make that mistake again.

Thanks! Man, it is a step back in time to an era before my own recollection (speaking as someone approaching 54). A definite stop worth making.

Mustard on BBQ is a sin and one of the few things I don't miss about Columbia. The answer to this questions is the original Scott's BBQ in Hemingway. It is by far the best imo, with any variation of Brown's (Kingstree), Schoolhouse (Scranton), Country Cousin's (old one by the cotton gin and Allison's gas station was great) and McCabe's rounding out the top 5. The fact is, the Pee Dee pepper vinegar style is the best this state has to offer.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. As I said, I grew up in Cheraw, so vinegar-based is BBQ truth to me, but nothing wrong with a good mustard sauce in my opinion.

Have not ready every post, but I assume just about every BBQ restaurant in SC has been mentioned by about now.

Not even close. Go to our map, change the search settings to 300 miles and 500 results (won't need that many) and take a look at the markers that show up. Currently, we have 311 restaurants published that we are aware of (not including a few that I need to publish that have recently opened). We have barely scratched the surface in this thread.

I stumbled across the BBQ House in North Myrtle Beach really good hickory smoked meats you choose the sauce

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT