ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Blackstone Griddle

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
I got the small one of these for Father's Day. I'm going to season it this evening. What are some of your favorite things to cook on them?

Reactions: heavycock
Cheesesteak has been probably the best thing I've done so far. Best results using ribeye.

Most commonly I do chicken or shrimp stir-fry, or chicken or steak fajitas. Which if you think about it are pretty close to being the same thing, just different ingredients and seasoning.

Breakfast is good too - you can do a whole pack of bacon at once. Haven't done pancakes yet but have done hashbrowns which turned out great.

Just got a four burner one for Father’s Day myself. Did bacon cheeseburgers on it despite the rain and I think I’m going to try the big breakfast run this weekend.

My wife has already let me know next week we will be doing cheesesteaks and hibachi so she’s going to get her money’s worth out of it.

I would suggest getting all the accoutrements - the long spatulas, scraper, squeeze bottles for oil and water, and especially a melting dome. Just makes life easier. If you don't have the latter, you can use a mixing bowl, it's just trickier to lift off without a handle. Don't pay top $ for brand name stuff either, the internet is full of these things.

Happy grilling(?) griddling(?). Not sure what to call it, but enjoy fellas. I've enjoyed the hell out of mine since I got it for Christmas.

I would suggest getting all the accoutrements - the long spatulas, scraper, squeeze bottles for oil and water, and especially a melting dome. Just makes life easier. If you don't have the latter, you can use a mixing bowl, it's just trickier to lift off without a handle. Don't pay top $ for brand name stuff either, the internet is full of these things.

Happy grilling(?) griddling(?). Not sure what to call it, but enjoy fellas. I've enjoyed the hell out of mine since I got it for Christmas.
I’ve been looking at melting domes and want a good size one for doing vegetables. Do you have multiple sizes?

Reactions: TheReelEss
Not yet, but I need more than the one I have. It's small-medium size-ish and a larger one for veggies would definitely be helpful.

Well, I grilled smoked sausage, Vidalia onions, home fries and asparagus this evening. It was great. After cooking on it once I wish it was one of the larger models. But it was a Father's Day gift so I'd never complain. I'll make do. I also bought shrimp, brats and chicken breasts.

Reactions: heavycock

I got the two hibachi spatulas and the scraper as part of my gift. I'll look for the others. Thanks.

I’ve had my eye on this thing since October. My buddy asks me about every week if I’ve broken down and bought one. I already have a bunch of grills / smokers…so I don’t really NEED one but man…I feel like it’s calling out to me.

The one question I have that I’d love to hear form you owners is…how hard is it to keep clean? To be honest, the greatest benefit for me is to be able to cook my entire dinner in one place without having to wash a bunch of pots, pans, and utensils. This think easy to keep clean?

Reactions: TAV31
I absolutely love mine, had it a few years now. You can do anything on it that you can do on a grill or stove. I do steaks, chicken, sausages, bacon. You can do omelettes, hibachi, sautéed shrimp, whatever.

I’ve had my eye on this thing since October. My buddy asks me about every week if I’ve broken down and bought one. I already have a bunch of grills / smokers…so I don’t really NEED one but man…I feel like it’s calling out to me.

The one question I have that I’d love to hear form you owners is…how hard is it to keep clean? To be honest, the greatest benefit for me is to be able to cook my entire dinner in one place without having to wash a bunch of pots, pans, and utensils. This think easy to keep clean?
After you season it, it's easy. I cooked some home fries and they stuck to it a bit. It scraped right off. It has a hole and a catch can at the rear. You just scrape everything into it.

Did breakfast on ours this morning. It was great to do a double batch of pancakes all at one time. Did a full pack of bacon first, popped the pancakes in the bacon grease followed by the he eggs. Hardest part was keeping the eggs from running to the grease trap.

Reactions: TAV31 and heavycock
Guys. Checkout my blackstone YouTube channel. Sizzle with Rhizzle. I’m still getting content up on there. It’s a blast to do. I would appreciate @ny subscribers and likes.

started with the portable 22” 2 years ago. Loved it. I got the 36” with air fryers for Christmas. The 3xtra cooking room is awesome!

I do burgers, dogs, hibachi, Greek chicken souvlaki is amazing. I’ve done pork chops grilled, and one Parmesan battered, steaks, winter squash, fried pickles, etc. the list goes on and I’ve got more coming.

season well to start. Clean immediately after you cook. I take the food off and turn heat to high. Wate goes on and boil8 g steam occurs breaking food loose. Scrape away to the back. Once cleaned, I wipe excess water with paper towel (using a fireplace glove) and then throw on a little oil and spread wipe with paper towel. Let that get to smoking so I know I’ve laid on a new carbonized layer. Then shut off the heat.
If you le@ve food and mess on it it’ll rust and it’s a hell of a bear to recover the surface from rust (it is recoverable but hard).

The air fryer is also outstanding. I’ve done chicken, fries, cherry turnovers etc etc.

We now take the 22 portable in our camper in the summer and do most meals on it. I’ve also done pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. I’ve even cooked biscuits and cinnamon rolls on the blackstone griddle (low heat and a dome, flipping often).

possibilities are endless. I’ve not used my gas grill in years and though I need to get back to smoking butts I havnt used my egg in a year. It’s a cheap metal chargrilled and I’m debating if I want to splurge for a kamado joe

season well to start. Clean immediately after you cook. I take the food off and turn heat to high. Wate goes on and boil8 g steam occurs breaking food loose. Scrape away to the back. Once cleaned, I wipe excess water with paper towel (using a fireplace glove) and then throw on a little oil and spread wipe with paper towel. Let that get to smoking so I know I’ve laid on a new carbonized layer. Then shut off the heat.
This is what I am wondering. If you clean it immediately, and I guess it would take 10-15 minutes at least, isn't your just cooked food getting cold? I have watched a few YouTube videos of cleaning one, and they may be over doing it, but they take 15+ minutes to clean it like they want. With my grill, I cook, eat, and don't have to actually clean until right before I use it the next time. That is my only concern.

Reactions: cocks rule
This is what I am wondering. If you clean it immediately, and I guess it would take 10-15 minutes at least, isn't your just cooked food getting cold? I have watched a few YouTube videos of cleaning one, and they may be over doing it, but they take 15+ minutes to clean it like they want. With my grill, I cook, eat, and don't have to actually clean until right before I use it the next time. That is my only concern.
Takes me less than 5 min.

water to loosen grease, scrub with a lodge chain mail sponge, scrape down with putty knife, wipe down with oil and kill the heat. Usually during that time the wife is getting everyone to the table.

I don’t always 100% of the time clean it right after either. I do sometimes clean it while it’s heating for the next cook. As long as it’s covered in oil it’s not going to rust.

Reactions: JohnnySurfin
If cooking for just a few, do you find that this griddle is overkill? I’d love to have one, but the reality of the space that it occupies and cleaning such a big item would make me just use a kitchen griddle instead. It’s not often that I cook for a large group. Do you find an advantage when cooking for just a few?

If cooking for just a few, do you find that this griddle is overkill? I’d love to have one, but the reality of the space that it occupies and cleaning such a big item would make me just use a kitchen griddle instead. It’s not often that I cook for a large group. Do you find an advantage when cooking for just a few?
No I have a 36” for a family of 3. I don’t always use the whole griddle. I have 4 burners most of the time only run two. You use more of the space than you realize though. If we do something like tacos I can cook the entire meal in one spot with zero dishes.
Another favorite is fish and sautéed green beans and squash. Again I can cook 100% of that in one place. Frees up the wife and makes her happy. We all know what that means, happy life. It also keeps the smell out of the house.
I grilled wings yesterday for lunch and I always like to flash fry my wings to crisp up the skin. I put a pot on the blackstone and used it as my heat source to fry the wings. My big green egg and black stone are side by side. Made it very convenient.
I use my blackstone more than anything I own. It cooks every single chicken breast and hamburger I cook. I just like the taste off a flat top better.

Guys. Checkout my blackstone YouTube channel. Sizzle with Rhizzle. I’m still getting content up on there. It’s a blast to do. I would appreciate @ny subscribers and likes.

started with the portable 22” 2 years ago. Loved it. I got the 36” with air fryers for Christmas. The 3xtra cooking room is awesome!

I do burgers, dogs, hibachi, Greek chicken souvlaki is amazing. I’ve done pork chops grilled, and one Parmesan battered, steaks, winter squash, fried pickles, etc. the list goes on and I’ve got more coming.

If you le@ve food and mess on it it’ll rust and it’s a hell of a bear to recover the surface from rust (it is recoverable but hard).

The air fryer is also outstanding. I’ve done chicken, fries, cherry turnovers etc etc.

We now take the 22 portable in our camper in the summer and do most meals on it. I’ve also done pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, etc. I’ve even cooked biscuits and cinnamon rolls on the blackstone griddle (low heat and a dome, flipping often).

possibilities are endless. I’ve not used my gas grill in years and though I need to get back to smoking butts I havnt used my egg in a year. It’s a cheap metal chargrilled and I’m debating if I want to splurge for a kamado joe
What exactly is an air fryer?
Is it not what used to be referred to as baking?

I sous vide a lot which means after cooking you quick sear. My Blackstone hits around 700 degrees. Makes for an excellent quick sear. I also make a lot of smash burgers and hamburger steaks on it. Basically anything you'd cook in a skillet. I've even made pizza on it. One of my favorites is to take a sauced pulled pork, caramelize it on the Blackstone like you're making carnitas and top it with cheese, bacon, jalapenos, whatever and serve on Kings Hawaiian bread. I also have the 17" portable which is my tailgate go to. The Blackstones are one of my best ever purchases.

As far as griddles go, is Blackstone the top name for those who have experience with multiple brands?
I have a 6 burner Camp Chef. I find it to be a bit better built that the Blackstone but honestly both are good. Neither are horrible expensive in the grand scheme of things. As mentioned you can spend crazy money for pro-quality stuff.

As for which size to get, get the larger. The real estate if very nice to have. My wife can cook at one end and I at the other. If not that there are larger warming zones, etc. I am glad I got the 6 burner model.

What exactly is an air fryer?
Is it not what used to be referred to as baking?
With breading and a small amount of oil in the mix, the air fryer will make food that looks and tastes fried with less fat. And if you bring home deep fried leftovers like wings, fried okra or squash or even seafood, the air fryer will warm it and keep it crispy. For these things it's far superior to the oven or microwave.

Reactions: 2013 SS
Nope, not an issue.
When I pull the last food off, (Sometimes I'll start cleaning half while the food is finishing on the other side, like melting cheese on burgers or something). I take my quirt bottle (hibachi oil and water bottle set), and spray water all over.

It starts a raging steam fest. I start scraping with the hibachi scraper. (also used for chopping chicken up on the griddle). Its really a minute or two of total scraping. I can steam, and scrape the whole thing in prob 30 seconds. Spray water again and scrap final one more minute. Hit some oil. I spread that with a paper towel, and while thats heating I'm taking my seasonings, and meat plate, and accessories back inside. When I return its smoking. I'll wipe up my prep table and clean that, 30 seconds, and then I shut the heat off and I'm headed to eat. It's still hot and carmelizing the surface for another 10 minutes easy.

If I do steaks, they need to sit a few minutes anyway. If I'm using the airfryer, sometimes it needs a couple extra minutes, and I can have the whole top cleaned before the airfrying is done. Its really no issue at all.

We cook for our 4, but often times inlaws are here or my parents. Plenty of room.

We love doing hibachi chicken, rice, egg,zuccini, onion, etc, and the 22 is just really too tight to fit it all in. I usually have to pull the veggies before I do the egg for the rice, and then mix it back together. Plenty of room on the 36.

The only way you would not clean a regular grill like this after cooking is if the grate is SS. Otherwise the cast iron grate will rust as well.

Reactions: bflogger28
No I have a 36” for a family of 3. I don’t always use the whole griddle. I have 4 burners most of the time only run two. You use more of the space than you realize though. If we do something like tacos I can cook the entire meal in one spot with zero dishes.
Another favorite is fish and sautéed green beans and squash. Again I can cook 100% of that in one place. Frees up the wife and makes her happy. We all know what that means, happy life. It also keeps the smell out of the house.
I grilled wings yesterday for lunch and I always like to flash fry my wings to crisp up the skin. I put a pot on the blackstone and used it as my heat source to fry the wings. My big green egg and black stone are side by side. Made it very convenient.
I use my blackstone more than anything I own. It cooks every single chicken breast and hamburger I cook. I just like the taste off a flat top better.
Now you’ve kinda sold me on one. I just recently traded my pellet grill for a Kamado Joe and loving it. I’ll have to see if I can find space on my porch for the balckstone. Thanks.

And get one of these. You'll feel like King of The Waffle House. Beveled edges for cutting and scraping. Makes killer smash burgers.
51acGZRkoWL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg
Amazon product ASIN B00DT1XEMS

Reactions: fire ant
Walmart sells Blackstone kits. Spatula, scraper, squirt bottles, etc. I saw some last night.

Last edited:
Doing one tonight that I forgot about, I think I kinda made it up myself vs. finding a recipe online:

I take regular boneless skinless chicken breasts, use my breaking knife to cut them into very thin strips and bread lightly, then cook to golden brown with canola oil. Basically just chicken tenders but not exactly the same as standard ones.

Went highbrow one night and made a piccata sauce and served them over angel hair pasta (I pounded these flatter with a meat tenderizer, also cut the chick larger so it was more like thin 'patties', still very thin though).

Went lowbrow one night and smothered them with bacon and provolone. I think I even cooked the chick in the bacon grease.

I plan to try to make pork schnitzel soon using the same method.

Nothing special but it does shake up the standard chicken breast/pork chop plus veggie and starch that the kids get tired of and it's so easy on the Blackstone.

Did a hibachi for 6 last night on the griddle. First time doing all of that and still some learning needed on the timing. I thought from all the trips to Sumo I’d have it all figured out but I was wrong. Completely underestimated the cooking time for the rice but live and learn. Steak got past medium but it was still good.

I waited until I got the steamer lid so I could use it on the vegetables and man did that work. Steaming them in the butter and teriyaki got them soft and flavorful.

I made grilled marinated portobello mushroom burgers with grilled onions and provolone last night. Fantastic!

Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT