ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Closed Restaurants

Check out that Columbiaclosings.com site. Fascinating site, that the owner has put a TON of time into. All you folks that have lived in, or grown up in Columbia, will find a plethora of information about your old spots no longer here. I always check out the alphabetical closings, and usually spend an hour minimum looking....and looking some more. I know for sure Lum’s is on there, I checked that out last night.

Over the years restaurants close down, especially a few years back. What’s the 2 or 3 restaurants you wished you could eat at today that no longer exist?

In Greenville, I miss the Rainbow Drive-in on Poinsett Hwy, and John Paul’s Armadillo Oil Company on Frontage Rd. Columbia had a John Paul’s when I was at USC, but it was nowhere near as good as the one in Greenville.
For me it's the Palmetto Sandwich Shop on Devine; they were the ones to introduce me to a Pimento Cheeseburger before it became popular and you started seeing it everywhere.

I just remembered Moxie’s on St. Andrews Rd. Burgers and shakes in a 50’s atmosphere. I think it was the Cork and Cleaver prior to Moxies.

[QUOTE="redrogers, post: 4497338, member: 5634"
The Villa in 5 Points. Great owners, Rivers and John Scarborough!
[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if this would come up. I cooked there for two years. Glad you liked it!

Luigi's in West Columbia was one of my favorites! You could just smell the garlic when you pulled up. Huge, delicious spaghetti and the pizza was awesome. It was a sad day when they closed!!

As a kid in the '60s, I always enjoyed going to Village Inn Pizza joint in West Ashley with my parents. The nights we would go they would have a projector playing Keystone Cops and the likes on a big screen and have a Barbershop quartet group singing between shows. Also was the first time I had tiny shrimp as a pizza topping. That was awesome.

As a kid in the '60s, I always enjoyed going to Village Inn Pizza joint in West Ashley with my parents. The nights we would go they would have a projector playing Keystone Cops and the likes on a big screen and have a Barbershop quartet group singing between shows. Also was the first time I had tiny shrimp as a pizza topping. That was awesome.
We had Village Inn in Sumter as well.

What about Sandy's Hot Dogs? Are they still around? I lived at the Wade Hampton Hotel and there was one behind the State House on the way to campus. Super Slaw Dog!

Reactions: redrogers
Groucho's is doing well and in a chain. They are here in Charlotte now (used to have one downtown actually)

Yes, we have one up here in Raleigh now too. Smack dab in the middle of the NC State campus, about a block off Hillsborough Street. Kind of neat to have a piece of Columbia up here. They even have some discreetly placed Gamecock paraphernalia in the restaurant.

[QUOTE="redrogers, post: 4497338, member: 5634"
The Villa in 5 Points. Great owners, Rivers and John Scarborough!

I was wondering if this would come up. I cooked there for two years. Glad you liked it![/QUOTE]
I married Heather Dickie, she was the very last waitress there. Her and her alone. My wife is brunette Heather, not the blonde.(O’neil)

Sub Cabin across the river. Spit special Capitol Restaurant. Dianne's on Assembly...lasagna.
I posted about Sub Cabin before I read this. Best cheese steak ever. It was the sweet/hot peppers that made it. I think they got "developed" out of business.I just looked at the map and that area looks nothing like it used to. My cousin and I used to eat there quite a bit because he lived in West Cola. Someone there told my cousin they intended to reopen but it never happened.

One other establishment in Greenville that has been closed ever since I was like in the 3rd grade (I can't remember for sure but it closed up around that time for sure. You would have to be in your late 60s or early 70s to remember the place.

Green Ave. Soda Shop. They made the very best devil egg sandwiches and out of this world Orange Aids. Truly one of a kind.

I was wondering if this would come up. I cooked there for two years. Glad you liked it!
I married Heather Dickie, she was the very last waitress there. Her and her alone. My wife is brunette Heather, not the blonde.(O’neil)[/QUOTE]

That would have been after my time. I worked there in 79/80ish. I dated a waitress there. It was fun times!

Reactions: redrogers
In Scranton, SC....Country Cousin's BBQ.

In Cola....the cafe at Tapps.

Also....whoever said Sub Cabin was spot on. Truthfully, the best closed restaurant in the Midlands.

Gone, my best friend used to take me there for big Thursday lunch
They moved over to West Columbia (378) for a while in a new building.....before the owner retired. Use to see him, wife etc. well after that at football games as he sat a couple rows below my seats. Was great eats.

Does anyone remember a steak house right directly across from WB in the early 70s? It was a good steak house, me and my friends ate there for almost game we attended during that time period. It was very nice had table cloths and again the steaks were good. I can't remember if they served anything else, although I'm sure they did. I can't remember them being opened pasted '73 or so. It was located approximately in the area were Bojangles is located today.

I know some of you old farts would have to remember the steak house, however, I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

Does anyone remember a steak house right directly across from WB in the early 70s? It was a good steak house, me and my friends ate there for almost game we attended during that time period. It was very nice had table cloths and again the steaks were good. I can't remember if they served anything else, although I'm sure they did. I can't remember them being opened pasted '73 or so. It was located approximately in the area were Bojangles is located today.

I know some of you old farts would have to remember the steak house, however, I can't remember the name of the restaurant.

The Gate House Restaurant?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Thank you very much, you my fine man are a gentleman and a scholar and there are only a few of us left. I have been trying to think of the name for years but couldn't. There is only one person still living from my old crowd (and that was a crowd of about 16) that I ran with and attended games with when I lived in Greenville and he couldn't remember the establishment.

Now, I have some old friends in the town that I live in now and we have attended many many games together. We hope to get back to some games this season because we have missed the last several years due to unforeseen circumstances.

BTW, cockhornleghorn, did you ever eat there? And if you did please share your opinion of the restaurant. Thanks

I ate there once during the Dietzel era. We were playing App State on a miserably cold night in Columbia and the friends we (my wife and I) were with had tickets for rib eye steak dinners at the Gate House. We ate there before the game. The meal was very good and easily the highlight of the evening.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I ate there once during the Dietzel era. We were playing App State on a miserably cold night in Columbia and the friends we (my wife and I) were with had tickets for rib eye steak dinners at the Gate House. We ate there before the game. The meal was very good and easily the highlight of the evening.

I just remember them having exceptionally good steaks. I don't know why it didn't remain open longer. It could have been due to the fact there just wasn't much demand after football season. But gosh, most people will drive forever to get a good steak.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT