ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colonoscopy, don't put it off

My mother had colon cancer in 2008. She went through chemo and won the battle. in 2012 I was watching the Carolina-Clemson game with her and she kept complaining about everything we did. "Of course we missed that catch", "Of course they ran for 4 yards", "Of course he kicked it out of bounds." Even though we were winning, she found fault in every... single... play. I remember thinking "I can never watch another football game with her." As they say, be careful what you wish for. We didn't know it at the time but the cancer had come back. We lost her 4 months later.

Get checked, and then keep getting checked. It's your life that you're gambling with and unlike a $100 bet on the Gamecocks, you can't just chalk it up as a loss and move on.

Good luck. I'll probably stick with the home test ... keep thinking of the proctologist from Cannonball Run --

53263-03c5ce5a93f30da8d6bc9c71b8abfcc3.jpg

LOL Fortunately I have a lady doctor with small hands.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I'm 51 and had my first colonoscopy in August 2021. They found and removed three polyps. None were malignant, however one of them was concerning. Dr suggested a follow up procedure, which was scheduled for this Friday. The original procedure was paid by my company health insurance. I was just told the follow up procedure isn't covered by insurance because it is "diagnostic" instead of "screening". Dr said he wants to see me soon and again in one year. Thankfully I hardly ever need medical attention. The procedure is about $2800 here in Central TX, $500 for the Dr and about $2300 for the facility, anesthesia, etc... Checking with my employer to see what my options are. May change our high deductible HSA plan to a traditional health care plan if that makes a difference. I'm guessing it will be a wash with higher premiums.

I went in for a rectal exam. I’m bent over the table, the doctor snaps on his latex gloves and said, “Alright Harry, this is your first rectal exam. Try not to get an erection.” I said, “Um, doc, my name isn’t Harry. “ Doctor said, “I know, but mine is.”

The prep has changed so much over the years. Five years ago was far better than the 5 years before that. The wife had one 3 years ago and it was even easier. Little bit of dulcolax, little bit of mucinex and a 64 oz. bottle of Gatorade broken down in two doses. Peice of cake compared to what it used to be. Hardly worth worrying about imo.

Reactions: boykinlp
If you have had polyps then do not do Cologuard. You may get false positives, I did! In fact I was told they if you have a history of polyps then you are not a Cologuard candidate.

Propofol is your friend!
When y’all go, remember the last sentence of the post above. Then, do your best to stay awake & realize in the 5-8 seconds after they say “we’re gonna start the medicine” why Michael Jackson was getting it daily.

Reactions: 92Pony
I had one this morning. I turned 50 in 2020. The doctor said they removed 4 polyps and it was good that I didn't wait any longer. A coworker of mine died a little over a week ago from colon cancer at the age of 60. If you're of age, don't delay it. It's only a small ordeal.
I’m glad to hear it looks like they caught it in time. Also glad you started a thread reminding others of the importance of it. It’s good to see so many speaking up about this, even if it’s on an anonymous forum.

My doctor recommended one based on some issues I was having. Luckily they didn’t find anything abnormal. If nothing else I am at peace that there’s nothing going on there that I don’t know about.

I had one this morning. I turned 50 in 2020. The doctor said they removed 4 polyps and it was good that I didn't wait any longer. A coworker of mine died a little over a week ago from colon cancer at the age of 60. If you're of age, don't delay it. It's only a small ordeal.
I've had two and they are fun.. Every 5 years and I'm due for a third one this year...

Reactions: TheReelEss
I went in for a rectal exam. I’m bent over the table, the doctor snaps on his latex gloves and said, “Alright Harry, this is your first rectal exam. Try not to get an erection.” I said, “Um, doc, my name isn’t Harry. “ Doctor said, “I know, but mine is.”

giphy.gif

Then, do your best to stay awake & realize in the 5-8 seconds after they say “we’re gonna start the medicine” why Michael Jackson was getting it daily.
No buddy....when the anesthesiologist shot my hand with that injection, it felt like someone hit my hand with a hammer. I was glad to go out.

The prep keeps getting easier. They are going to pills. Stop eating/drinking at 10 pm, take the pills a few hours apart, and your ready to go at 7 am with a clean colon. It ain’t that bad. But you got to do it. There is a lot of stuff that happens much worse.

So very sorry
My wife of 30 years was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in May and passed away in July. She didn't go to the colonoscopy appointments they had made for her since 2015, although I begged her to go. I can't begin to tell you how horrible those two months were, or how how tough the six months since have been. Please never put off a colonoscopy. It could cost you your life

I will be 52 in April. I asked my doc about this just a few months back and he had said that nowadays, before they do a colonoscopy, they are looking for other signs/symptoms through bloodwork and that one did not necessarily need to get it this soon. He acted like it was nothing to worry about right now. My other concern is that I am self employed and my insurance is not very good. Only thing I can find somewhat affordable is one of the those group/sharing plans but would doubt it would cover it.

I had my first one at 42, because of family history, had polyps removed each time until my last one 2 years ago. So, hopefully clean going forward. My 44 year old wife had some GI issues and they rushed her in the next day to do one. Found multiple large polyps, all pre-cancerous. Doctor said if she had waited for a normally scheduled one at 55, she would have probably been dead. Please don't wait. It is not a big deal. I would rather be hungry for a few hours and have the poops than endure several months/years of chemo, or worse.

I had my first one at 42, because of family history, had polyps removed each time until my last one 2 years ago. So, hopefully clean going forward. My 44 year old wife had some GI issues and they rushed her in the next day to do one. Found multiple large polyps, all pre-cancerous. Doctor said if she had waited for a normally scheduled one at 55, she would have probably been dead. Please don't wait. It is not a big deal. I would rather be hungry for a few hours and have the poops than endure several months/years of chemo, or worse.
Because each of mine has unearthed multiple non-cancerous polyps, I am on a five-year rotation.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I'm on the three-year rotation plan. I hate having to rely on friends to shuttle me to and from the facility. For some reason, I always feel like bringing a car seat cover for the 30-minute trips!

When y’all go, remember the last sentence of the post above. Then, do your best to stay awake & realize in the 5-8 seconds after they say “we’re gonna start the medicine” why Michael Jackson was getting it daily.
If I did the stuff Michael did I'd need a strong sedative to sleep at night too.

Where is Equestrian? Nothing bleeds money out like that sport. Should replace with Gymnastics

I'm 51. I had mine right before Christmas. Glad i did it. The prep wasn't a lot of fun, but it wasn't that bad either.

It wasn't a big deal. I've had teeth cleanings that were more aggravating.

It CERTAINLY is not something that anyone man or woman should dread to the point of avoiding. If you've avoided one out of fear, you are wasting your time.

My prep was simple- per my doctor's orders

2 Dulcolax Tablets about 2pm the day before - these are cheap- like $2 at Family Dollar.

Then I had to drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate (I bought cherry flavor at Family Dollar) at 4pm and another bottle at 8pm the night before. I put the bottles in the fridge and added water to it and drank it slowly over about 45 mins. It's like drinking cherry syrup. It's not good. But anyone can do it. Both bottles total were less than $4.

after my procedure, my doc said my prep was good. My procedure was performed about 10am in the morning.

Last edited:
My wife of 30 years was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in May and passed away in July. She didn't go to the colonoscopy appointments they had made for her since 2015, although I begged her to go. I can't begin to tell you how horrible those two months were, or how how tough the six months since have been. Please never put off a colonoscopy. It could cost you your life.
Oh no. I am so very sorry.

Yes, please go if anyone is reading this and nervous. It's nothing to worry about.

An hour after mine, I was sitting at Salsarita's eating tacos.

Last edited:
The only hard part is getting ready for the procedure, the colonoscopy itself is a breeze. But, yes please have the procedure, no reason not to and it could literally save your life. It's about time for me to have another one.
For me too, Freddy. The time before last, 3-4 minor polyps were found. I'm on an every 4 years instead of every 6 years as a result.

My wife of 30 years was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in May and passed away in July. She didn't go to the colonoscopy appointments they had made for her since 2015, although I begged her to go. I can't begin to tell you how horrible those two months were, or how how tough the six months since have been. Please never put off a colonoscopy. It could cost you your life.
So very sorry. Prayers for you moving forward.

Yeah, I had the same scan. I believe the bottle of prep was about 4X the size of the ones I took yesterday and it was rough. I went to work after the scan, but about 2:00 I was asking my manager if I could go home.
That anesthesia can affect you later in the day more than people think.

I've had one done. No polyps so told come back in ten years. Just realized I'm 2 years overdue. Michael Jackson drug? I had a Valium drip and went to sleep. Life saver? Just means I'll die from something else. Lost my Grandmother and favorite uncle to colon cancer. It was very bad but I'm sure I will find a worse way to go.

I'm sorry to read this, friend ... will pray for you now and thank you for sharing ...

An interesting, but well needed thread ... thankful for all of you sharing and hopefully, this will spur on some to go who have been hesitant ... I have had two .. second time found one benign polyp ... I am on every 3 years (for this and GERD) ... I get the feeling that 5 years would be OK but since I am now 60, the physician is simply being a bit more cautious ... as others have stated, the prep is BY FAR the worst of all of this ... the 15-20 minute nap is the BEST nap ever ... friends, as many others have stated, have these checkups as needed ... it can well be a lifesaver.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony and boykinlp
On a 3 year cycle. Next one is 2/1. The last time had to take the prep on two straight days. First day heart rate out of whack and had to see cardiologist for approval. Always better to be safe than sorry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT