ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cord cutter alternatives like YouTube TV

I am highly interested because Spectrum is breaking it off in me with two recent unannounced rate hikes. I’m open to trying some of the options mentioned above but bottom line is you still need the high speed internet and Spectrum jacks that up when you drop all TV. Is anyone finding high speed internet at a descent price in the Greenville/ Spartanburg area?

I am highly interested because Spectrum is breaking it off in me with two recent unannounced rate hikes. I’m open to trying some of the options mentioned above but bottom line is you still need the high speed internet and Spectrum jacks that up when you drop all TV. Is anyone finding high speed internet at a descent price in the Greenville/ Spartanburg area?
I have Spectrum at $69.99 a month in Greenville. Reliable.

Thank you, yes I have it too but I’m wondering what it will cost if I cut the TV part out. I plan to call tomorrow and see. I am interested in the YouTube TV I keep seeing mentioned above.

That’s what I’m paying in Lexington without any other service from them.

When you negotiate with Spectrum you should always request to speak with retention services. Getting their specials or right combinations can make a big difference in your monthly bill. I dropped DVR one year and that got me a big reduction. This year I dropped land line which I never used and that got me to $130. The retention operators ( usually female ) have latitude and the key is being nice, friendly and funny. Levity is always a good tool to use with them. You know it's got to be a crap job arguing with customers all day long. Bundling your cell phone service with Spectrum can really open the door to lower monthly rates and specials. With all the internet streaming competition ( NBC is starting theirs ) I think we'll soon see rates drop with the survival of the fittest.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
When you negotiate with Spectrum you should always request to speak with retention services. Getting their specials or right combinations can make a big difference in your monthly bill. I dropped DVR one year and that got me a big reduction. This year I dropped land line which I never used and that got me to $130. The retention operators ( usually female ) have latitude and the key is being nice, friendly and funny. Levity is always a good tool to use with them. You know it's got to be a crap job arguing with customers all day long. Bundling your cell phone service with Spectrum can really open the door to lower monthly rates and specials. With all the internet streaming competition ( NBC is starting theirs ) I think we'll soon see rates drop with the survival of the fittest.
They offered me a deal yesterday, but it doesn't make much difference if their streaming app doesn't work. I think I am at $152 with phone, TV and internet. They would not prorate if I cut-off service in the middle of the month so it will stay on until February 8th. So I can change my mind and reinstate TV service with no interruption.

If our baseball team can avoid wetting the bed I’ll see my share of home games in person.

relevant in 2020! Now that is a rally cry!

The key to good video/audio streaming is a good router. The higher it's placed above the floor the better the signal. Love my Asus AC1900 dual band which transmits it's wi-fi signal to 5 devices and is hard wired to three others. It sits atop a media cabinet 6 feet above floor level. The Router signal in strong enough to cover a 2900 sq ft house with a second level FROG.

I've had YouTube TV since PlayStation Vue announced in November that it was shutting down. I've been pleased. You can create six (I think) profiles and can use three of them at once. You'll use the YouTube credentials to access ESPN3/SECN+, etc.

There are plenty of free options out there to supplement whichever service you choose. I can get 60-plus channels in Greenville with an antenna. Your profile says you live in Columbia. Odds are you can get 30 to 40 channels there. Connect an antenna (rabbit ears, etc.) to your TV, set the source to antenna/air, then hit autoprogram/scan. Move the antenna around to find the sweet spot in the room (usually on a wall near a window), but you need to rescan each time.

Go to one of these sites and enter your address info to get an estimate of the channels you can receive. Generally, these places under-estimate. Reception depends on terrain, obstructions, distance from broadcast towers, etc.

https://antennaweb.org/

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Totally free streaming services (accessible with an Amazon Fire Stick, AppleTV, Roku, etc.) include Pluto, Stirr, Xumo, Tubi, Crackl and many more. Go to Pluto.TV to see about 200 or more channels of free programming.
If you can, have a good antenna installed outside and above your roofline. You'll lose 50% of the signal strength using an indoor antenna.

The key to good video/audio streaming is a good router. The higher it's placed above the floor the better the signal. Love my Asus AC1900 dual band which transmits it's wi-fi signal to 5 devices and is hard wired to three others. It sits atop a media cabinet 6 feet above floor level. The Router signal in strong enough to cover a 2900 sq ft house with a second level FROG.

The height of a good router is irrelevant unless you are using wifi. If feasible, go wired for a more reliable connection.

I have an antenna on the upstairs TV, and I get 30+ channels. But I miss too many other shows and don't have one on the downstairs TV. I also have a Roku. I have explored many of the options but got lazy and stayed with Spectrum. But I'm not paying for another box and this flaky streaming app (Samsung Smart TV app) is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Try an outside antenna with a junction box so that all TVs are connected.

http://dennysantennaservice.com/ has a wealth of useful information, whether or not you purchase an antenna from them.

Last edited:
ShadowBox is advertising as the coming thing. Supposed to trump them all in services. Can't find anything much about it, though. But I got to do something different. The cable gets me everything but it is sky high in costs. Good information from you guys.

ShadowBox is advertising as the coming thing. Supposed to trump them all in services. Can't find anything much about it, though. But I got to do something different. The cable gets me everything but it is sky high in costs. Good information from you guys.
From their own website (https://shadow-box.tv/) it's clear the adage "if it sounds too good to be true it's probably not" applies:
Am I breaking the law?
The answer is an enthusiastic NO. The beauty of the ShadowBox™ is that rather than downloading content off of the internet, you are simply streaming and can not be held legally liable for copyright infringement in any way since you never have any appreciable amount of copyrighted content in your possession at any one point in time. Here is what James Gibson, director of the Intellectual Property Institute at the University of Richmond law school has to say about the issue: “When the user downloads even part of a file — called pseudo-streaming — it counts as a copy of copyrighted material, which is illegal. And when the user streams content as a public performance — namely, when it’s shown to a substantial number of people outside the normal family circle and its close acquaintances — it also constitutes a copyright violation. Outside of these cases, accessing unlicensed streamed content is generally legal.” – Jim Gibson

So it's all on the up and up because they "enthusiastically" say it's not illegal? By the rationalization stated there's no such thing as an illegal stream since the copyright protected and/or licensed content is not actually being stored on a device in your home. If you can find a free stream of Disney Plus from Myanmar, no problem!

All this stuff will eventually end up costing as much as cable anyway.
Perhaps so... but the ability to watch virtually anywhere on most any device is a game changer. My wife and I watched a basketball game in its entirety the other day in the car on a road trip. I can pull up any station (including local ones) or anything from the cloud based DVR on my second monitor from my computer at work. It's just a totally different experience than having the need for a coaxial cable going into a converter box... not just a cost thing.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
The height of a good router is irrelevant unless you are using wifi. If feasible, go wired for a more reliable connection.

Most people use wi-fi because they don't want to drill holes in their floor, walls or ceiling to string cat5 cabling throughout their house. Hard wiring makes sense if your router is in the same room with the streaming device but less practical for a distant bedroom.

Most people use wi-fi because they don't want to drill holes in their floor, walls or ceiling to string cat5 cabling throughout their house. Hard wiring makes sense if your router is in the same room with the streaming device but less practical for a distant bedroom.
Yep. Plus if you have a good wireless network then you have plenty of bandwidth. I use the 5ghz connection in the house and have a ubiquiti ap for the backyard. I don't ever have issue with the Roku sticks. Even the one on the dock works flawlessly.

Outside antennas are a great choice if you don't mind hammering that long grounding rod several feet into the earth.

Reactions: atl-cock
Birdiecock said:

JDishnell said:

All this stuff will eventually end up costing as much as cable anyway.[/quote]

Or drive cable/dish services down. They have to be hurting with all the defections.

It hasn’t worked yet. Most, if not all cable satellite providers raised their rates again this year.

Youtube will be 85 by 2021

If so, I'll probably switch again. There are times during the year I hardly watch TV, so I can turn it off during those times and usually just watch Netflix. It's so much more economical than cable.

I've had Spectrum for about 3 years now. Of course, the price has gone up, but it isn't outrageous. However, 2 TVs use the Spectrum app to stream. They recently changed the app and it's trash. The TVf with the box downstairs in the den works fine, but even with a wired connection the other TVs freeze or lose the connection. I continually get a pop up that says, "This channel is unavailable at this time. Please try another channel."

So I signed up for the 2 week trial with YouTube TV. So far it seems much more reliable and responsive. I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture looks clearer, sharper and more vibrant. Plus, they give you unlimited cloud DVD and now I get the Golf Channel. I tried Sling a few years ago. It is cheaper, but I found it unreliable.

Spectrum TV is $85 per month including the rental for the box. YouTube TV is 49.99.

I think I'm sold.
We cancelled Directtv saving 239.00 per month and went with you tube and love everything about it

I'm aware of this, and I did drill and string. I guess I'm more concerned about reliability than aesthetics.

If one is building a new home, adding a room, or remodeling, by all means have your contractor wire/string cat6 cable as much as possible.

I have a former coworker who had to wire some devices since he was overloading his wifi at home.

Outside antennas are a great choice if you don't mind hammering that long grounding rod several feet into the earth.
And that's exactly what we had done a few years ago. And that's the only reason why I can receive Charleston TV stations in Beaufort.

From what I've seen, ATSC 3.0 looks promising to deliver a more consistent signal of the Charleston stations to Beaufort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT