ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In your opinion, what is the greatest or most important invention of all time?

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
Surely, we can't argue about this. Also, I did a search to see if a similar topic had ever been posted and it was several years ago on the insider's board, but I'm not a rich insider, so...

I'd just like to read your thoughts and opinions on this, because I think there are several smart people on this board.

Money. It enabled implicit cooperation, and therefore the modern economy, by eliminating the requirement for a double-coincidence of wants in interpersonal transactions (e.g. you didn't need to have something specific the farmer wanted in order to trade for food.)

As far as advancing the industrial age and increasing standard of living, electricity has to be up there along with the gasoline engine.

Surely, we can't argue about this. Also, I did a search to see if a similar topic had ever been posted and it was several years ago on the insider's board, but I'm not a rich insider, so...

I'd just like to read your thoughts and opinions on this, because I think there are several smart people on this board.
Rest assured , this will definitely be argued about 😂. They’re are a lot of smart people on this board .

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
When it's all said and done, the one invention that may change the world more than any is the smartphone.

I would think the steam engine would be at the top of the list for the simple reason that it powered trains and ships which enabled so many other industries at the beginning of the industrial revolution.

One might also argue it is the personal computer (CPU) because it enabled the technological revolution.

But before that would be the transistor and printed circuit boards. The first computers (and TVs) used tubes instead of transistors.

Fishing pole (and reel as an upgrade)
Boat
Golf club (golf cart)
Grill
Bottled & Canned beer (to take, fishing, golfing, tailgating, hunting for my hunter friends)
Tailgating
Supercharged Digital fuel injection quad turbo
Bikinis
Yoga pants
Rihanna

Money. It enabled implicit cooperation, and therefore the modern economy, by eliminating the requirement for a double-coincidence of wants in interpersonal transactions (e.g. you didn't need to have something specific the farmer wanted in order to trade for food.)

Neither fire nor electricity are human inventions. How humans harnessed fire and electricity are human inventions.

Since the OP did not specify that the most important invention be a technological one, I like this answer.

IMO the most important invention has to be the mother of numerous inventions.

And the correct answer is the smartphone. Have seen this ranking several times and the smartphone was the winner. It is not only a phone with mobile communications, it’s a GPS, a camera, a calculator, portable tv, video recorder, radio, flashlight, bar code scanner, clock, police scanner. Etc etc. the list Keeps going

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT