ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Instead of closing stores, Walmart should..

cocky2atee

Sep 13, 2006
fire the incompetent managers who are in capable of scheduling cashiers at the front of the store. This would save the company millions if you factor in speedy checkouts and more customers!

Brick and mortar boxes are going to be less relevant moving forward. Not to say, Mass Merch will not replace or build. But look for one giant store instead of 2 smaller ones. Smaller, convenient types will run rule. We are getting older and we don't going in giant stores.

Brick and mortar boxes are going to be less relevant moving forward. Not to say, Mass Merch will not replace or build. But look for one giant store instead of 2 smaller ones. Smaller, convenient types will run rule. We are getting older and we don't going in giant stores.
For the first time this year, I bought nearly all of my Christmas gifts on line. It was wonderful. I'll still have to go into an actual store to buy many things, but buying online is the way to go if I don't need to compare products. I never thought I'd be one to do that, but it was very nice.

NEW YORK — Walmart has released the list of 154 stores across the U.S. that will close as part of the company’s “sharpened focus on portfolio management.”

The 154 U.S. closures include 102 of its Walmart Express stores, 23 Neighborhood Market stores, 12 Supercenters, four Sam’s Club locations, six discount stores, and seven stores in Puerto Rico.

The company said 95 percent of the stores impacted are within 10 miles of another Walmart.

Reactions: Lakecock1
NEW YORK — Walmart has released the list of 154 stores across the U.S. that will close as part of the company’s “sharpened focus on portfolio management.”

The 154 U.S. closures include 102 of its Walmart Express stores, 23 Neighborhood Market stores, 12 Supercenters, four Sam’s Club locations, six discount stores, and seven stores in Puerto Rico.

The company said 95 percent of the stores impacted are within 10 miles of another Walmart.

I thought I remember seeing this happen in Columbia a while back. A standard Walmart closing because of Super Walmart with grocery, etc. opened up near by.

I stopped going to Wal-Mart a few years back not for any moral decision - the place just seemed so trashy. Employees weren't helpful, customers are all in a fowl mood, aisles were always a mess. The last big purchase I made at a Wal-Mart was a 26" CRT TV. Waited 20 minutes for a guy to get a ladder to pull one down for me. He finally gets there and after twice pointing him to the correct model he finally finds it right in front of him. He's pulling it down... and then he drops it from about 5 feet up. Then he acts like nothing happened and starts to load it on the cart! I had to threaten to find a manager to get him to pull down another. And it got worse from there!

Anyway, it's all Target, Amazon and Drugstore.com for my family. Screw Wally-World.

Reactions: RickyRooster
fire the incompetent managers who are in capable of scheduling cashiers at the front of the store. This would save the company millions if you factor in speedy checkouts and more customers!
Don't shop Walmart. Don't even know where one is. Don't care.

Wal-Mart's idea of 'closing' anything is better described as repositioning - their 'net-selling' square footage has grown non-stop since Sam founded the chain, they're not 'shrinking'. When a store 'closes' it's often an older, smaller store that's replaced by a much larger one. I don't know if they're still working through some of their older 'leases' from the 70's and 80's but for a while those were the 'closures' as they opened elsewhere nearby on 'owned' land they made money on immediately by either selling or leasing surrounding out-parcels that commanded exceptional prices due to the known values as a result of the guaranteed traffic resulting from their own 'anchor' store.
Wal-Mart's constantly testing a variety of store types (different sq. footage sizes, merchandise mix, varieties of food products) and they're probably already among the Top 5 in 'on-line' selling (and could end up number 1 given their clout) ... RETAIL for the masses is what Wal-Mart does better than anyone in the world. Whatever shakes out as the 'store' of the future it's a good bet that a large share of that future 'market' will benefit Wal-Mart shareholders for decades to come, they are their own 'competition' - and they compete fiercely.

Reactions: john8220
Whoever came up with the bright idea of putting in 24 registers and only using 4 is probably to blame. But honestly, I HATE to go in there. I'll pay more money to go elsewhere if I can get away with it.
Up our way, the Lancaster store is terrible, notorious for having only a few registers open while running a small self-checkout area. The Indian Land store is excellent by comparison: no self-checkout but always lots of registers open - and very courteous employees.

Same here at the beach. I went to one in Conway couple weeks ago and there were 10+ checkouts in the immediate area and only one was open. I try to avoid them as well and like others said will pay extra to not go there.

Up our way, the Lancaster store is terrible, notorious for having only a few registers open while running a small self-checkout area. The Indian Land store is excellent by comparison: no self-checkout but always lots of registers open - and very courteous employees.
I know. I am up your way.

Reactions: king ward
I usually laugh when someone says they'll 'pay more' to shop elsewhere (for the same item), hey, that's always an option! The reason we have Ritz-Carlton Hotels is that not everyone's satisfied with a Hampton or Holiday Inn.

Me? I love Wal-Mart and wish I'd gotten in earlier. I know (now) that had I invested $5,000 in Wal-Mart stock for each my kids when they were born in the late 70's and early 80's instead of buying them 'local bank stock' and sticking it in the drawer they would have all cashed out around $2 million when they reached age 30 instead of about $50,000. each.

While in Bentonville, AK in 1992 I met a Wal-Mart employee (in her early 40's) who'd worked for Walton since she was in high school - she was making about $8/hr. then ... but was very, very happy with Wal-Mart. Her 'profit sharing' account exceeded $1 million and she'd just 'borrowed' enough from her account to buy her daughter a car and pay her Freshman college tuition. Not too shabby for a retail clerk with a high school education. Wal-Mart gets a bum-rap IMHO. I've shopped in their stores since I 'saw' my very first one, which was probably 1980 or '81.

Nope, paying $30 in a Target for something that's $21.95 in a Wal-Mart isn't quite the same as visiting the vending machines in a Hampton Inn vs. cleaning out the honor-bar in a Ritz-Carlton, at least not to me.

But each to his own. What I WILL do (and love to see when driving in lots of traffic) is go to the higher priced gas station when almost side-by-side one is $2/gal. and the other is $1.97.

That $ .50-.60 cents isn't worth the hassle of waiting for a pump - now that make sense to me.

Reactions: decock and GCMD2
I usually laugh when someone says they'll 'pay more' to shop elsewhere (for the same item), hey, that's always an option!

This! I'm not speaking for you, but in my case, my family sure can use the extra dollar stretching. Yeah, I hate waiting in line a lot of the time, and the atmosphere isn't nice, but I just can't find anywhere else where I can fill my cart up for the same price. Even if I try to work the Aldi/Walmart combination (because I can't get everything at Aldi), it really doesn't affect much. They also have the most variety. I'm not super proud of it, but I am trying to provide the best for family that I can.

Reactions: john8220
Hey, to each his own. But I still prefer to not go in. I do. I just prefer not to and try to limit it.

Cant stand Walmart (or as Hank Hill would say "Mega-lo-mart").....but I do find myself there occasionally. When the kids were little I was there almost daily sad to say. It's usually a brutal errand these days. Walmart is where rednecks take their children for spankings and yelling sessions apparently.

Shop at Walmart all of the time...but we have kids so we have to have groceries and household supplies...DAILY...there's always something running out or we need a little more of.

WalMart is convenient and has good prices and stays open ALL NIGHT. I find that it's best to go early in the morning or late at night on the way home...

Anyone who thinks they can go without going in Walmart once a week or at least 3 times a month has much more money than I do or you just don't have a large family...

And I'd challenge you to find another local store that stays open all times of the night and has better prices/selection...

Reactions: SportsSuites1

The one on Garners Ferry RD Columbia SC never stocks there shelf's . I shopped online mostly at Christmas time . To hell with fighting crowds and parking lots for Christmas shopping .

Cant stand Walmart (or as Hank Hill would say "Mega-lo-mart").....but I do find myself there occasionally. When the kids were little I was there almost daily sad to say. It's usually a brutal errand these days. Walmart is where rednecks take their children for spankings and yelling sessions apparently.
Rednecks bother you, hell i'm a redneck. What bothers me are all the Mexicans in the store and those hanging outside hassling all the pretty girls

Epic - move on if you're busy.

Physssshaw
... I don't believe people 'hate' Wal-Mart, they HATE being 'thought of' as a Wal-Mart 'shopper' - which is silly, Wal-Mart saves millions of shoppers billions of dollars every year.
Not just a lot but the MAJORITY of Americans 'fib' about their income and spend foolishly hoping to enhance their status. Lots of women shoppers especially (and especially in smaller communities - though large enough for a Wal-Mart and a Target, a town like Florence) won't shop Wal-Mart or Food Lion because they THINK other people 'think' they NEED to if they're seen there.
MEMO!!! - about ONE HALF of all Americans make less than $45,000 annually. Do you make $10,000 a month? About 90% of Americans DON'T.
I have a neighbor with six auto dealerships and we'll occasionally talk about people's 'spending habits' while shooting the breeze. He's got two 'luxury' dealerships (which excluding 'exotics' I'm usually referring to Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Tesla, Range Rover, Cadillac, Lincoln and 'tricked-out' trucks - forgetting Bentleys, Rolls, and excuse me, even Acura) - it's NOT the 'payments' that freeze most of his customers with a burning 'desire' to be though of as 'successful' it's the not-unusual requirement those vehicles often require 'premium' fuel. They're (prospective buyers) WILLING to do without to be thought of as 'doing well' - calculating the 'payment' is a FIXED number ... it's the unknown of operation, maintenance and insurance that ultimately sends 'em to Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Hyundi and Subaru.
30-years ago we had designed and built almost 5000 sq. ft. with three wood-burning fireplaces, 4BR - 4 full-baths, two 1/2 baths and a 3-car garage. We loaded the gourmet kitchen with sub-zero then 15-years later installed new cabinets and vanities throughout the house, all 'countertops' were switched to granite and we blew-off $20,000+ on all-new Viking appliances to 'keep pace' with our 'friends'. 12-years ago in my early 50's I 'slowed down' - returned to SC and 'downsized' to about 2500 sq. ft. in a raised 'beach house'. 3-years ago I 'downsized' for the last time to about 1500 sq. ft. on one-level with a POA that cuts my grass and trims my yard.
In my 30's I struggled to 'own' a Mercedes for myself and an Audi for my wife, while also owning the 'required' Jeep and/or occasional pick-up truck. That was a LOT of wasted money. The kids always had cars, too (as SOON as they were old enough to drive).
When I 'found' Wal-Mart I loved the place, I always have. They have all kinds of 'stuff' there and the prices ARE 'usually' the best available. WHAT is NOT 'to love' about that?
Today I drive a 6-year old Toyota truck, my wife drives a really cute, not yet a year-old little 'Elantra' although we're FAR BETTER able to drive Mercedes today than when I actually did drive 'em, it's just now I could care less!
I was very lucky, guessed right a few times, got plenty of help and took the occasional chance that worked out OK so things are good - the kids all do great with wonderful, hard-working, excellent provider spouses, the only 'divorce' I ever had to suffer was my own 35+ years ago, I can still hit the golf ball in the fairway, I'm actually a much better fisherman today than I ever was burning money trying to catch Marlin - and we can EAT what I catch now!
68% of Wal-Mart shoppers earn less than $70,000 (combined income) annually and 95% of shoppers within 15-miles of a Wal-Mart earning that amount (or less) DO shop 'Wal-Mart' on a fairly routine basis.
I've never understood the 'stigma' some shoppers attach to 'buying low'.
MOST PEOPLE who profess to 'hate' Wal-Mart still shop there.
Far more than once I've paid $30+ for a pair of men's boxers in my life ... but it's been 'some time' ago. Last week I bought 7-pairs (1 pair EXTRA!!!) of cotton Hanes for < $10, I don't remember exactly but it was probably about $8 bucks. Got 'em at Wal-Mart.
No, they don't sell Bally, Nettleton, Johnson & Murphy, Cole-Haan or Alden shoes ... and Ben Silver's window can still on occasion turn my head and inspire me to buy a $100+ tie that I KNOW I'll rarely wear - but when I really WANT a pound of Brookwood real wood-smoked BBQ it's only $3.98 at Wal-Mart but $4.99 at Kroger, or if I want 1/4 scale drafting paper it's $1.77 for 80-sheets at Wal-Mart and $2.79 at Office Max.
The money I save on all such routine purchases (along with staying OUT of those la-tee-da coffee places) allows me to buy Haagen-Daz ice cream ... a product with which no 'store brand' can compete.
Here's to REGULAR gas!!! ... (and paying $ 02-.03 cents more for it to have no-waiting at the pump!).
I'm a "SOUTHERNER" ... born and bred, and I LOVE Wal-Mart!!!

Reactions: Silverspur02
Rednecks bother you, hell i'm a redneck. What bothers me are all the Mexicans in the store and those hanging outside hassling all the pretty girls
Sorry 'bout that- I have a fair amount of Neckerson blood in me too.... but if you feel like seeing the toothless crowd discipline their children in a way that will solidify the child's future as a Penn State (I mean State Pen) graduate, go to Walmart Saturday afternoon.

I usually laugh when someone says they'll 'pay more' to shop elsewhere (for the same item), hey, that's always an option! The reason we have Ritz-Carlton Hotels is that not everyone's satisfied with a Hampton or Holiday Inn.

Me? I love Wal-Mart and wish I'd gotten in earlier. I know (now) that had I invested $5,000 in Wal-Mart stock for each my kids when they were born in the late 70's and early 80's instead of buying them 'local bank stock' and sticking it in the drawer they would have all cashed out around $2 million when they reached age 30 instead of about $50,000. each.

While in Bentonville, AK in 1992 I met a Wal-Mart employee (in her early 40's) who'd worked for Walton since she was in high school - she was making about $8/hr. then ... but was very, very happy with Wal-Mart. Her 'profit sharing' account exceeded $1 million and she'd just 'borrowed' enough from her account to buy her daughter a car and pay her Freshman college tuition. Not too shabby for a retail clerk with a high school education. Wal-Mart gets a bum-rap IMHO. I've shopped in their stores since I 'saw' my very first one, which was probably 1980 or '81.

Nope, paying $30 in a Target for something that's $21.95 in a Wal-Mart isn't quite the same as visiting the vending machines in a Hampton Inn vs. cleaning out the honor-bar in a Ritz-Carlton, at least not to me.

But each to his own. What I WILL do (and love to see when driving in lots of traffic) is go to the higher priced gas station when almost side-by-side one is $2/gal. and the other is $1.97.

That $ .50-.60 cents isn't worth the hassle of waiting for a pump - now that make sense to me.

My son always jokes that "if you can't find it al Walmart you don't need it."

Reactions: SportsSuites1
I love when people think that the only way to save money is to shop at Wal-Mart. There's also Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Ollie's, Aldi, and a host of others, but it depends on your area. It is tough to beat free shipping from Amazon though. Don't forget good old-fashioned comparison shopping, coupons, and abstaining from buying crap.

Most of the Walmarts in GA that are closing are low-performing rural stores. I can see how it will adversely affect those communities. I wonder how many Piggly-Wiggly's, etc. closed when Wal-Mart moved in originally?

Reactions: DirtyCock99
Epic - move on if you're busy.

Physssshaw
... I don't believe people 'hate' Wal-Mart, they HATE being 'thought of' as a Wal-Mart 'shopper' - which is silly, Wal-Mart saves millions of shoppers billions of dollars every year.
Not just a lot but the MAJORITY of Americans 'fib' about their income and spend foolishly hoping to enhance their status. Lots of women shoppers especially (and especially in smaller communities - though large enough for a Wal-Mart and a Target, a town like Florence) won't shop Wal-Mart or Food Lion because they THINK other people 'think' they NEED to if they're seen there.
MEMO!!! - about ONE HALF of all Americans make less than $45,000 annually. Do you make $10,000 a month? About 90% of Americans DON'T.
I have a neighbor with six auto dealerships and we'll occasionally talk about people's 'spending habits' while shooting the breeze. He's got two 'luxury' dealerships (which excluding 'exotics' I'm usually referring to Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Tesla, Range Rover, Cadillac, Lincoln and 'tricked-out' trucks - forgetting Bentleys, Rolls, and excuse me, even Acura) - it's NOT the 'payments' that freeze most of his customers with a burning 'desire' to be though of as 'successful' it's the not-unusual requirement those vehicles often require 'premium' fuel. They're (prospective buyers) WILLING to do without to be thought of as 'doing well' - calculating the 'payment' is a FIXED number ... it's the unknown of operation, maintenance and insurance that ultimately sends 'em to Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Honda, Hyundi and Subaru.
30-years ago we had designed and built almost 5000 sq. ft. with three wood-burning fireplaces, 4BR - 4 full-baths, two 1/2 baths and a 3-car garage. We loaded the gourmet kitchen with sub-zero then 15-years later installed new cabinets and vanities throughout the house, all 'countertops' were switched to granite and we blew-off $20,000+ on all-new Viking appliances to 'keep pace' with our 'friends'. 12-years ago in my early 50's I 'slowed down' - returned to SC and 'downsized' to about 2500 sq. ft. in a raised 'beach house'. 3-years ago I 'downsized' for the last time to about 1500 sq. ft. on one-level with a POA that cuts my grass and trims my yard.
In my 30's I struggled to 'own' a Mercedes for myself and an Audi for my wife, while also owning the 'required' Jeep and/or occasional pick-up truck. That was a LOT of wasted money. The kids always had cars, too (as SOON as they were old enough to drive).
When I 'found' Wal-Mart I loved the place, I always have. They have all kinds of 'stuff' there and the prices ARE 'usually' the best available. WHAT is NOT 'to love' about that?
Today I drive a 6-year old Toyota truck, my wife drives a really cute, not yet a year-old little 'Elantra' although we're FAR BETTER able to drive Mercedes today than when I actually did drive 'em, it's just now I could care less!
I was very lucky, guessed right a few times, got plenty of help and took the occasional chance that worked out OK so things are good - the kids all do great with wonderful, hard-working, excellent provider spouses, the only 'divorce' I ever had to suffer was my own 35+ years ago, I can still hit the golf ball in the fairway, I'm actually a much better fisherman today than I ever was burning money trying to catch Marlin - and we can EAT what I catch now!
68% of Wal-Mart shoppers earn less than $70,000 (combined income) annually and 95% of shoppers within 15-miles of a Wal-Mart earning that amount (or less) DO shop 'Wal-Mart' on a fairly routine basis.
I've never understood the 'stigma' some shoppers attach to 'buying low'.
MOST PEOPLE who profess to 'hate' Wal-Mart still shop there.
Far more than once I've paid $30+ for a pair of men's boxers in my life ... but it's been 'some time' ago. Last week I bought 7-pairs (1 pair EXTRA!!!) of cotton Hanes for < $10, I don't remember exactly but it was probably about $8 bucks. Got 'em at Wal-Mart.
No, they don't sell Bally, Nettleton, Johnson & Murphy, Cole-Haan or Alden shoes ... and Ben Silver's window can still on occasion turn my head and inspire me to buy a $100+ tie that I KNOW I'll rarely wear - but when I really WANT a pound of Brookwood real wood-smoked BBQ it's only $3.98 at Wal-Mart but $4.99 at Kroger, or if I want 1/4 scale drafting paper it's $1.77 for 80-sheets at Wal-Mart and $2.79 at Office Max.
The money I save on all such routine purchases (along with staying OUT of those la-tee-da coffee places) allows me to buy Haagen-Daz ice cream ... a product with which no 'store brand' can compete.
Here's to REGULAR gas!!! ... (and paying $ 02-.03 cents more for it to have no-waiting at the pump!).
I'm a "SOUTHERNER" ... born and bred, and I LOVE Wal-Mart!!!
Somebody please wake me up and explain the book that I just read. Seriously. Give me the cliff notes version. I'm lost!

I've never been a fan of Walmart. I try my best to support the local merchants if I possibly can. Yes, that does mean some higher prices at times but not that much. An example, Whitehall TV. Yes, I pay just a little more for the TV but they install it, be sure I know all the controls and if I ever have a problem I make one call to them and t is taken care of. Another is the local Hardware guys in Ballentine or Chapin....

I do go into Sam's twice a year but that is the only so called big box I go into. I've been doing it this way for many years now.

Reactions: circuitcock
Somebody please wake me up and explain the book that I just read. Seriously. Give me the cliff notes version. I'm lost!

Clever! ... though now I'm confused, too. Even starting in the middle you still became addled?
It BEGAN with a subtle preamble WARNING that anyone with ADD might not be able to decipher the material and not to attempt it.

Here's hoping your caretaker explains it to you.

I love when people think that the only way to save money is to shop at Wal-Mart. There's also Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Ollie's, Aldi, and a host of others, but it depends on your area. It is tough to beat free shipping from Amazon though. Don't forget good old-fashioned comparison shopping, coupons, and abstaining from buying crap.

Most of the Walmarts in GA that are closing are low-performing rural stores. I can see how it will adversely affect those communities. I wonder how many Piggly-Wiggly's, etc. closed when Wal-Mart moved in originally?

According to the list published in USA Today all of the Wal-Mart's closing in GA are 'Express' stores open less than 2-years, no 'regular' Wal-Mart's, Super-Center's, newest-version 'Neighborhood' stores or Sam's Club's are closing there, and no Piggly-Wiggly's or any other grocery stores closed as a result of those stores opening in 2014-2015 ... Wal-Mart's short-lived venture into the 'convenience' store business.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT