ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I've never been out of the country. If I have two weeks to go anywhere, where should I go?

Done Viking River tour with extra days in Prague. Done an Alaska boat tour with extra days in Anchorage (sea plane and bush plane flying). Done cruises to Bermuda and Bahamas (separately). For Bermuda, I liked stuff on the island better than the cruise (in other words, fly directly and stay in a hotel).

Last edited:
Reactions: jsusc
So I am going to try to save up some money, and maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to take a trip out of the country. If I had two weeks and a decent amount of money for the trip, where should I go? I'd be open to anything. I do prefer mountains to the ocean, but don't get me wrong. I still like the beach. Also, I don't mind if it's hot or cold. Also, I'm not fluent in Spanish, but if you were to drop me in the middle of Mexico City I would still be able to get back home without speaking English.

Bangkok

• Haha
Victoria, Canada
Take the ferry from Seattle — whenever Canada and the U.S. opens their borders to one another.

Well, I've never been to Europe either Kamala.......But I have been all over this USA, and for me , I wouldn't trade it for any foreign territory. The beauty of this country is unmatched. Do USA first and you wont regret it. Add a third week as well.

Historically, Europe is much older so it is staggering also. My BEAUTIFUL, crazy fun wife being Eastern European descent has me pointing to Prague.....Incredible. But two weeks in Europe should be spent in 1 location, maybe 2 to appreciate (or Viking Cruise) .

Now, back to the INCREDIBLE USA. Utah is AMAZING. Pass through Colorado (Legal) to get their. You will get some yellowstone in as well and TETONS ! Take a great camera with LENS. Hawaii (Oahu), was there a year and half....and I promise you, you will never find better beaches. Banzai pipeline, Sunset, North Shore, Waimeia Bay.....on and on ! Drive up California to San Fran and catch cheap ALaska airline flight to Island for a week. Come back and head north to Oregon (Legal) and Washington state (legal) along coast road....Freakin INCREDIBLE. Come back home on North passage through Wyoming and South Dakota (Mt Rushmore)...Stunning Natural Beauty.

Make up time through Nebraska, Kansas , and for damn sure MIZZOU and KAINTUCKY....(Meaning dont stop except to get a night rest) and hit DC for a tour of the Smithsonians before returning Home !

You'll never regret it, wont have to worry about terrorism and foreign lands!

After that....Have at Europe ! Praque, Barcelona, Rome, PAris !

Last edited:
You really should time travel back to before there was COVID, because international travel is so much more difficult these days.

I really like history, so places like Greece and Rome sound intriguing. Obviously, every country has history, but I don't know that I would really "get" historical places somewhere like Japan, because we were never really taught about it. Whereas I think most of us have at least some rudimentary knowledge of European history.

Exuma if you like blue water and self exploration. Staniel Cay, Compass Cay. Look em up.

Don't go anyplace where the common police officers carry AKs. I've been to a bunch of those and they all suck.

The two places I've been on the Government dime that I would like to revisit?

Mallorca and Norway. Mallorca is like Disney World for grown ups and as a rule, Norwegians love Americans. Warning about Norway though. Take lots of money. Everything but snow and reindeer meat is imported. A beer cost 8 bucks last time I was there about 15 years ago.
That's one of the best travel rules of thumb I've ever seen

Done Viking River tour with extra days in Prague. Done an Alaska boat tour with extra days in Anchorage (sea plane and bush plane flying). Done cruises to Bermuda and Bahamas (separately). For Bermuda, I liked stuff on the island better than the cruise (in other words, fly directly and stay in a hotel).

I'd like to put in a vote for Spain or Italy too. Sights, food, people, it's the complete package. Never done a river cruise but I imagine that's a good option if you want to see a lot of places on your first time there and you want to take your hotel with you so to speak.

Go to Banff, in the Canadian Rockies. Lake Louise is maybe the most beautiful spot in the world, and I have been all through the Alps. Plus they speak English there, your money is worth 20% more and you will see the most amazing scenery you can imagine, breathtaking. Ride the Rocky Mountain Express train from Vancouver thru the Canadian Rockies, it takes you to Banff, great experience and fun.
Google pics of Banff and Lake Louise, you will think they aren’t real.

Reactions: cadcock
There are language translators you can load on your phone.

Also, I would consider seeing more of the US, unless you have already seen most of it.
I agree! We had considered a tour of Europe this year, but with Covid restrictions, we opted for a two week tour of the western US. Glacier national park is the most beautiful place I've ever seen.
If you are set on traveling internationally, I've been to several European and Asian countries, and I would say Japan and Belgium were my favorites. Barcelona is nice as well.

Been to Barcelona twice. Once when it was not crushed by Chinese tourists and once when it was. The former was perferable. Also, try not to be alone in the Gothic Quarter after sundown. Some super sketchy characters. I prefer Madrid, Seville or Toledo. But the women are indeed gorgeous.

While I would not say burn two weeks, I would highly recommend hitting Germany in December and visiting the different Christmas markets. Stuttgart's is huge and 15 minutes away you get a quaint Medieval market in Esslingen.
Striezelmarkt_2009_00950.jpg

Japan was fascinating as we stayed in an onsen for a night and otherwise lived mostly with a Japanese family we know, but I suggest that you not visit unless you are a somewhat adventurous eater. I had the "good fortune" of visiting just as COVID was cranking up so the normal crush of Chinese tourists was non-existent. Germany, Norway, Spain, UK, France, Portugal, Netherlands all awesome trips, with Spain being my favorite. I could easily live there. Great food in all but Norway and the Netherlands. Italy is on deck as the bride has family there.

International travel can be a little intimidating. For your first visit out of the country, I’d actually recommend Canada. Fly into Montreal, spend a few days in the old town then drive to Quebec and spend a few days. It’s relatively cheap, everyone speaks English (though you’ll hear quite a bit of Québécois), the food is spectacular and everyone is nice. Lots of amazing historic sites.

I have never been out of the country, with the exception of Canada. I would highly recommend Alaska myself if you decide to stay stateside.

All of my military friends (and military co/worker spouses) have said Germany is the prettiest place they have been.

Get certified to SCUBA dive. I got certified locally in Charlotte at 53 years of age. Only regret is I didn't get certified when I was in my 20's. Ambergis Caye Belize #1, Grand Cayman #2, Aruba #3, etc. Like others have said, 1 day of travel each way, get a place on VRBO, and you wont go anywhere else. Ever.

Reactions: caughtlookin
I would suggest the island of Crete. Beaches, history and food are all good and relatively inexpensive. You don't really need to know the languages of the countries (except for common phrases) as English is widely spoken . 2 years ago, we spent 3 weeks touring the perimeter of France. We toured Normandy beaches, Beaune, Bayeux, Bordeaux and Reims. History, food and a great deal of wine. Scotland, Italy and Greece are also great. The Philippines are really cheap and a lot of fun. Thailand is good as well. I would avoid Guam and Korea.

Don't go anyplace where the common police officers carry AKs. I've been to a bunch of those and they all suck.

The two places I've been on the Government dime that I would like to revisit?

Mallorca and Norway. Mallorca is like Disney World for grown ups and as a rule, Norwegians love Americans. Warning about Norway though. Take lots of money. Everything but snow and reindeer meat is imported. A beer cost 8 bucks last time I was there about 15 years ago.
That’s cheaper than beer at Williams Brice.

ADVERTISEMENT