ADVERTISEMENT

OT New TV

Slotreceiver

Dec 23, 2009
I'm looking to replace a 10 year old "HD" TV before football season starts. What I'm looking at is 65 to 75 inch. I don't know if it's worth it to go with UHD, OLED, LED or whatever. Could any of you guys highly recommend a brand, curved or not, any particular brand? I'd like to keep it around $2000, I think that I can mount it myself with some help from my brother-in-law so that is not a requirement. Thanks.

I just bought a UHD (4k) Samsung 75 and can't wait to see the Gamecocks on it. Picture is awesome. It replaced a 10 year old Samsung 1080p 67 inch that is still working and now is in the guest bedroom. Hopefully this one will give as good of service. The other 75s that I considered were Vizio M or P series. Very good ratings and not unreasonable prices. I did not consider the lower Vizio E series.

Reactions: king ward
I would suggest the Samsung QLED or the LG OLED. I have had LGs and have had zero issues. Do not buy the curved, it is better from a slight side view but it does create some distortion when viewing from pretty much direct view especially if your TV is at an upwards angle from view.

I would suggest the LG OLED as it has true black contrast where the Samsung's just turn that pixel off so it's more of a dark grey than black. That is actually how all TV's work except for the new LG. If I were to buy today the LG would be my purchase.

I saw like a couple weeks ago that LG or Samsung at Best Buy were giving free matching wireless soundbar and speakers with the purchase of 55" or larger. I almost pulled the trigger but my TV's are still working.

Vizio's have been very reliable for me. They are highly rated by CR and my first one from the early 2000's is still running strong. I now have a 65 M series which replaced a three year old 3D Panasonic plasma which was all the rage but died just outside of it's warranty.

Reactions: jeff2001
The LG Oled is very nice and very expensive. 3000 for the 65 inch and 14000 for the 77. They don't make a 75 which is the size I wanted. Undoubtedly an awesome picture. Just more than I was willing to pay for a TV. AVSforums is a great source for discussion on tvs. RTings is a great site for in depth reviews with lots of specs

If your going to go with a TV this size you should steer yourself towards a TV that has refresh rate of 240. This will increase the price but you may find it's worth it. The higher refresh rate will reduce the motion blur that can be seen on larger screens.
Some will say their large screen TV has a motion rate of 120 and they don't have any issues and that may be true. I can say I have 2 sets of 52" or more and I'm glad I went with sets that have the motion rate of 240.
Good Luck

If your going to go with a TV this size you should steer yourself towards a TV that has refresh rate of 240. This will increase the price but you may find it's worth it. The higher refresh rate will reduce the motion blur that can be seen on larger screens.
Some will say their large screen TV has a motion rate of 120 and they don't have any issues and that may be true. I can say I have 2 sets of 52" or more and I'm glad I went with sets that have the motion rate of 240.
Good Luck
I am trying to remember if the LG OLED even references a refresh rate. Either the 2018 model or the new 2019 OLED will be going to direct pixel management instead of full screen refreshing. The technology has grown where they can pack enough memory and RAM in the TV where they can manage each pixel instead of complete screen management. Says it will take less energy and run cooler since all pixels don't have to update at 240m. I think it's the 2018 model but if not then it's next year's model.

Purchased a new 2017 model LG OLED 55 inch 3 weeks ago for $1500 via Amazon with free shipping. Delivered within 48 hours of ordering. Also, LG provides OLED panels for Sony.

• Individually lit OLED pixels achieve the ultimate contrast for outstanding picture quality
  • OLED does not require a backlight giving it deep blacks and making it extremely thin

Last edited:
Reactions: Out of Conference
Purchased a new 2017 model LG OLED 55 inch 3 weeks ago for $1500 via Amazon with free shipping. Delivered within 48 hours of ordering.
I saw that too. That is what I was going to buy was the 55 OLED, they have an amazing picture but I wanted to see one beside the new one that doesn't use the refresh rate. Might not really make a difference or be so close that it's not worth the price of the new model.

Have you hooked it up? Did you get the sound bar or how is the sound in the house? My old LG has a built in subwoofer and it sounds great. I bought the most expensive 50" LG 8yrs ago and it has built in DVR and high quality sound. Another reason I have hard time getting rid of it. You can't get those options anymore.

What apps are with the new Samsung?
They all have the normal list now if they are listed as "Smart TV". Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, YouTube, etc, etc. The difference is how easy they are to access through the remote. That was where Samsung beat LG until the new LG OS which came out in 2017 with new OLED. Now the LG supposedly gets the nod? I have not used either but I watched several comparison videos on YouTube. I've been shopping them for 6mos. Just wish my TV would give up to make me make a decision.

Reactions: Slotreceiver
Easy to set up.

No sound sound bar - using present 5.1 surround. Room is 20 x 20 and open 1.5 story. Towers in the front with a HSU 12" downfiring subwolfer

Vizio's have been very reliable for me. They are highly rated by CR and my first one from the early 2000's is still running strong. I now have a 65 M series which replaced a three year old 3D Panasonic plasma which was all the rage but died just outside of it's warranty.
My first HDTV was a Vizio. Picture was good, but I couldn't keep a main board in it. Changed several. Only paid for one but it got aggravating. Got a Samsung and it has been perfect.

I'm looking to replace a 10 year old "HD" TV before football season starts. What I'm looking at is 65 to 75 inch. I don't know if it's worth it to go with UHD, OLED, LED or whatever. Could any of you guys highly recommend a brand, curved or not, any particular brand? I'd like to keep it around $2000, I think that I can mount it myself with some help from my brother-in-law so that is not a requirement. Thanks.

Get a Smart LG TV and you won't have to worry about a cable box if Roku is built in and won't have to worry about the camera spying on in teh bedroom...

We don't need to see you on the comedy channel...:D

That's what I got a 55' vizio

I just bought the TCL 6 series (65r617) Roku TV. After a lot of research. Almost pulled the trigger on the LG C series OLED but for less than half the cost I went with the TCL. Now I know what all the chatter is about with
this brand. The features and quality blew me away and believe me when I say I put alot of time on research. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Reactions: Bwellbaseball
I've had an smart LG 55 and have had no problems. It has good picture quality and unless you just want to get the next technology, it might not be worth those extra bucks.

Last year we got a 65" Samsung 4K Curve. Love it. Watching in 4K (where available) is unreal. Purchased and installed over the fireplace by the geek squad around $1750.00.

Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate the information. With the constant evolution in technology, it's hard to keep up. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger and not worry about what comes next.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Well, you guys got me down to best buy to see what all the hubbub is about and there are some awesome pictures out there. Really tried to compare the LG O and the Samsung Q and my eye just couldn't see the difference. I guess the blacks were better on the O, but I would give the color nod to the Q, I would really have to do some research to spend a grand more on either, I don't think my old eyes and wallet could see it! Btw, They were running a $400 sale on the Samsungs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT