ADVERTISEMENT

OT- should marijuana be legalized?

Legalize?

• Yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters
Of course it should. If the federal government can enforce the jab why shouldn't it be!!! At least its the user who makes the chose of what they are putting in their body!!!

Should any mind-altering substance be legal? I think so. I love a good scotch. I don’t mind some Delta-8 to help me sleep. And I’ve dabbled in several other things in the past that lead to some really fun times. But how do we decide that my mind-altering substance is good, and yours is bad and could lead to jail time?
I don't know what kind of Scotch you drink, but the stuff I buy doesn't alter my perception of reality.

It is absolutely not “good” fo someone to smoke it. It is also not nearly as bad of a carcinogen as cigarettes though, which are also legal. They do not add a bunch of tar and toxic chemicals to joints…
Most of toxic chemicals from smoking comes from the paper....unbelievable amount of chemicals in the paper.

Should any mind-altering substance be legal? I think so. I love a good scotch. I don’t mind some Delta-8 to help me sleep. And I’ve dabbled in several other things in the past that lead to some really fun times. But how do we decide that my mind-altering substance is good, and yours is bad and could lead to jail time?
We will have to disagree. While there are legit arguments back and forth about the dangers of alcohol and MJ, some items like crack, PCP and sniffing paint are just brain cell killing activities and should be illegal. It is easy to prove those are irretrievably bad.

Reactions: ShannonL
We will have to disagree. While there are legit arguments back and forth about the dangers of alcohol and MJ, some items like crack, PCP and sniffing paint are just brain cell killing activities and should be illegal. It is easy to prove those are irretrievably bad.

Does making it illegal stop it?

We see this argument on other issues too - guns, etc...

Seems to be if you are doing PCP or sniffing paint, the last thing you care about it what the politicians think about it

and if you are addicted to crack, it being illegal is the least worry in the world- and going to jail might even be welcomed given the alternative.

Does making it illegal stop it?

We see this argument on other issues too - guns, etc...

Seems to be if you are doing PCP or sniffing paint, the last thing you care about it what the politicians think about it

and if you are addicted to crack, it being illegal is the least worry in the world- and going to jail might even be welcomed given the alternative.
While it doesn't stop it, it does reduce its (crack and PCP) availability. Any high schooler today can tell you where to get MJ or alcohol in a short period of time, even if underage. You can't say the same for crack and PCP.

While it doesn't stop it, it does reduce its (crack and PCP) availability. Any high schooler today can tell you where to get MJ or alcohol in a short period of time, even if underage. You can't say the same for crack and PCP.

Is that because it's illegal?

or is it because even high schoolers know that crack and PCP are a different world than alcohol and pot?

Pot wasn't exactly legal in the early 1980's in South Carolina, but plenty of folks at my high school should did have their share of it.

Is that because it's illegal?

or is it because even high schoolers know that crack and PCP are a different world than alcohol and pot?

Pot wasn't exactly legal in the early 1980's in South Carolina, but plenty of folks at my high school should did have their share of it.
If even you agree that crack and PCP are a different world than alcohol and pot, why the reluctance to make them illegal?

If even you agree that crack and PCP are a different world than alcohol and pot, why the reluctance to make them illegal?

PCP is in its own category. Even in moderation, that can have some crazy endings.

Crack is just cocaine (albeit much less cocaine than someone snorting the powder). I’ve seen people smoke crack and do cocaine moderately and it was fine. As most drugs are - in moderation. Doing any mind-altering substance to excess is harmful (even coffee quite frankly) - but you shouldn’t make substances illegal simply because someone may abuse them.

Again, why is one mind-altering substance ok, but another not? The history of how drugs became illegal in the first place is a really interesting read.

I think they are different for the most part.

They are illegal. But the logic I am seeing displayed doesn't seem very consistent.

Making things legal or illegal doesn't stop people that want to do drugs. This is the same argument people make regarding guns- making them illegal doesn't stop people that want to harm people with guns.

That logic also works with drugs. Making them illegal clearly hasn't stopped kids from trying them, abusing them, or adults, or anyone else.

It's clear from history that making things illegal can often make them much more exciting for people to try them - an actual enticement.

The UK group "Drug Science" (Independent) has done some pretty interesting research on the impact of the most common drugs as relates to the 1) impact on the individual 2) impact to others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DrugScience#/media/File:Drugscience-harm-ranking.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DrugScience

No surprise alcohol sits at the top of the list. The damage ethanol does to the entire digestive system and brain is now well documented.

As relates to across the board legalization, unique designer drugs like synthetic cathinones ("bath salts") would probably make that impossible. Far too dangerous and addictive to unleash en masse.

So you’re saying you want to be or already are a crack head.
Not at all but I don’t think it’s the governments job to police what I put in my body. Yes I would be ok with safe zones to use crack. Other countries do this as well and have less of a drug problem.

Precisely

Making things legal or illegal doesn't stop people that want to do drugs.
It stops some people. It makes it harder to obtain and think twice about the consequences. Guns are a different issue, as the people you don't want to have them have already decided to violate the law in some way anyway. They aren't deterred. Making crack illegal deters those who might think "I will just try it once, its legal, who can say no".

It stops some people. It makes it harder to obtain and think twice about the consequences. Guns are a different issue, as the people you don't want to have them have already decided to violate the law in some way anyway. They aren't deterred. Making crack illegal deters those who might think "I will just try it once, its legal, who can say no".
I’m sorry but your first sentence is bs. It doesn’t make it harder to obtain. I could easily obtain anything I wanted and likely from someone in my very neighborhood. You sir are naive.

Not at all but I don’t think it’s the governments job to police what I put in my body. Yes I would be ok with safe zones to use crack. Other countries do this as well and have less of a drug problem.
I definitely don't believe any government should have the right to mandate someone take a drug. There is no universal drug that everyone tolerates well and anyone who tells you that should not be trusted. However, drugs like Flakka can be incredibly dangerous to society and should be reigned in as much as possible.

I definitely don't believe any government should have the right to mandate someone take a drug. There is no universal drug that everyone tolerates well and anyone who tells you that should not be trusted. However, drugs like Flakka can be incredibly dangerous to society and should be reigned in as much as possible.
We can agree to disagree on that.

Reactions: turncock
we just know different people.

i've never met someone that didn't take a drug they wanted to take because it was illegal.

i do know people that took drugs because they were illegal

You have never paid for anyone to go to weed rehab.
just paying for them to sit around and smoke pot and not work or even if they do 'work' society in general paying a price when they don't make the most of themselves and pursue a career that society needs (Doctor, Accountant, Truck Driver etc.)

Some of y'all should get out more. Fentanyl is what you should be discussing.

mj-map-nov-9-2022.jpg

just paying for them to sit around and smoke pot and not work or even if they do 'work' society in general paying a price when they don't make the most of themselves and pursue a career that society needs (Doctor, Accountant, Truck Driver etc.)
Umm, what makes you think those professions don’t smoke weed. I know doctors, lawyers, vets, and an accountant that smoke weed and function at a high capacity every day. You see the brainwash campaign has you totally lost. There are millions of people that function every day and smoke weed at night. Not hurting their ability at all. Just like there are millions of people who love to go to a bar after work and have a drink. Do you feel the same about them?

Last edited:
Fentanyl isn't even a drug, it's more just a poison. It has medical uses, but no one is out there trying to take fentanyl.
:oops:

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is up to 50 times stronger than heroin and 100 times stronger than morphine. It is a major contributor to fatal and nonfatal overdoses in the U.S.
Overall, drug overdose deaths rose from 2019 to 2021 with more than 106,000 drug overdose deaths reported in 2021.

For whatever reason I can't quote the second part of your post, but correct, fentanyl is an opioid that has medical uses to treat pain. However, no one is seeking out fentanyl. It's leading to so many overdoses because drug dealers are cutting things like cocaine with fentanyl because it's so cheap (and strong) that it makes their product go further and they make a ton more money. They're also making fake adderall and oxycontin with it. But people aren't trying to take it because even a little can be a death sentence.

Reactions: bayrooster
How can the US have a fentanyl crisis while "no one is seeking out fentanyl"?

He's clearly saying people are taking other things that have fentanyl in them.

They aren't seeking out fentanyl for the most part.

I think the example would be: you go over to your friend's house to smoke pot. He puts a deadly chemical in it and you are done in. You weren't going over there to kill yourself.

(I have no idea if that's true or not- haven't looked into it at all)

Fentanyl isn't even a drug, it's more just a poison. It has medical uses, but no one is out there trying to take fentanyl.
Seriously? It gets stolen from hospitals all the time. Fetanyl is an opiate addicts wet dream. I can’t even believe you just said that. They will cut it themselves they are not stupid.

How can the US have a fentanyl crisis while "no one is seeking out fentanyl"?

Again, it’s being used to cut other drugs like coke, or mimic drugs like oxy. Fentanyl is so powerful that just a few grains of it will give a huge high (and a few more could kill you).

So the dealers use that to make a little cocaine go farther because they can use less actual coke and More filler with a little fentanyl. Basically doubling their product.

And now oxy is harder and harder to find. So dealers are making fake oxy using a little fentanyl - but it’s so much stronger than oxy and people take way too much and overdose. And fentanyl is so cheap, they’re making money hand over fist with the fake pills.

But it’s used in all sorts of other kinds of fake pills and other drugs (like heroine). It’s why you can’t do drugs anymore. The dealers are poisoning their customers.

So you're saying people don't just go buy fentanly pills? And these pictures are all fake?

photo_4.jpeg

So you're saying people don't just go buy fentanly pills? And these pictures are all fake?

photo_4.jpeg

It’s packaged in pill form - they don’t just ship buckets full of powder.

And it does seem like it would be bad for business, but the majority of people don’t overdose. And they’re making so much more money by cutting drugs, so some bad publicity isn’t their concern.

Seriously? It gets stolen from hospitals all the time. Fetanyl is an opiate addicts wet dream. I can’t even believe you just said that. They will cut it themselves they are not stupid.
I think that's where it started. Hospital orderlies and pharm techs fishing spent syringes and bottles out of the trash for just a few drops of fentanyl. The first time I ever heard of the drug was in 2007 after a severe case of colitis that appeared the same night after being discharged from 8 days in the hospital (following major surgery). The pain was becoming more intense by the minute and in the ER they first administered vicodin, then a morphine drip, but neither halted the increase in pain level. That's when they decided to administer a dose of fentanyl via the IV -- the pain literally disappeared within a minute. I was like, "what is this strange and powerful magic?!" "It's called fentanyl." The thing that sucks is after 30-40 minutes it wears off.

Last edited:
It’s packaged in pill form - they don’t just ship buckets full of powder.

And it does seem like it would be bad for business, but the majority of people don’t overdose. And they’re making so much more money by cutting drugs, so some bad publicity isn’t their concern.
There are people smoking the pills in front of San Francisco City Hall. They take fragments of those pills and smoke it like crack or directly through a straw. Nasty way to ruin one's life! The high completely incapacitates them, with most standing still like a sleeping horse, leaned over. Sure way to know you're looking at a fentanyl addict who just got their high.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT