ADVERTISEMENT

OT stock market will go up - what to buy?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
Everything will go up but what stocks will go up faster than others? Probably going up today. Do you think this is the bottom?

Unless we get some super blowout of infections, I think we've hit the bottom. The fear is starting to subside, and infections will start to taper off.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Buffett and Ichan have been buying OXY Occidental Petroleum, its just bought Andarko so it has high debt and with the now low oil price so it got slammed

Buffett or Berkshire had been buying in the mid 30's in Q4, A week ago it opened at 30.16 on 3/6, yesterday closed at 11.89, but I bought some yesterday lower and it was the only thing up in my portfolio :)

For the market I still think we will see volatility, a big surge and a crash and a afternoon recovery of some of the gain and end in the green, but Im no expert

Interesting question. While I cant say I have as much faith that the market will ever fully recover from this hysteria, pharmaceuticals might be a good investment if they bring them back from China.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Damn near anything. The mention of oil was a good one. But I have a certified financial planner (CFP) to do all that.

Everything will go up but what stocks will go up faster than others? Probably going up today. Do you think this is the bottom?
Online retailers, Netflix. People will be buying from home and watching movies.

Reactions: Wiles2
I don’t think we’ve hit the bottom. This will absolutely get worse before it gets better. In fact, I don’t see markets improving until the second half of 2020. There’s still more damage left in the financial markets.
It may slow down, bit I don't think it will reverse for at least a month. The news is only going to get worse over the next few weeks.

Facebook and Apple will bounce back faster than anything. Both up 5% today and both are very strong.

Really any index fund would be awesome as well.

Exxon's yield is in the 7-8 % range.Plus it has a big upside for price growth.The only downside is the political enviroment between Saudi and Russia.Once that settles down I think it takes off.

Reactions: PalmettoNative
I don’t think we’ve hit the bottom. This will absolutely get worse before it gets better. In fact, I don’t see markets improving until the second half of 2020. There’s still more damage left in the financial markets.
Agreed. That is why you put a little each day, week or month. Nobody knows when we have hit bottom so you have to dollar cost average.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Started buying Boeing yesterday. I will continue to buy under $160.
That's a good candidate. But I think the airlines will not be buying many planes in the near future. Boeing also drew down a $13 billion LOC Wednesday. The whole thing. That worries me.

Predicting the bottom is near impossible, but you can nibble and take educated guesses. Just don't do too much at once.

Today was a huge up day, but we are still down for the week. I think the markets were relieved that (a) Trump declared a national emergency (which brings in FEMA experts) and (b) the Fed pumped in 1.5 Trillion dollars yesterday. That will buy a lot of stocks.

IMHO, we've still got another leg down, but we are testing a bottom. If it holds we should get confirmation next week. Seems like the bad news (cancellations and Declaration of a National Emergency) is all out there now. So the market may have already discounted the worst effects.

Still, if over the weekend the number of infected grows exponentially and the mortality rate stays at 3% next week could be dicey.

Glad I didn't sell anything.

Reactions: vacock#
I think plumbers are going to be raking it in over the next month or so. So many people hoarded all the toilet paper that there will be plenty of folks flushing soiled paper towels down their pipes that plumbers will be in high demand.

Interesting question. While I cant say I have as much faith that the market will ever fully recover from this hysteria, pharmaceuticals might be a good investment if they bring them back from China.
We need to bring all manufacturing back from China. They aren't our friends. If we need low cost countries to manufacture our products, India is much more USA friendly than a low life thieving, technology stealing communist country like China.

I agree on second improvement, but some people have made a lot of money on the market's way down at my expense.

Food service delivery like Hello fresh should start doing well.

Gilead Sciences has the lead on the patent/treatment of COVID. Call options are your friend.

The FED is in full funny money gear. They threw trillions at this already and today said the money printer is ready to run 24/7. Good sign for the short term - brutal in the long term.

I would wait for now. As another poster said there will be more tumbles in the stock market until this thing subsides.

As soon as it is over I would invest in Disney. Stock is going to take a hit due to the theme parks closing, cruise ship cancellations and ESPN having nothing to do, but eventually people will go back to the parks and ESPN will be back on its feet once America gets sports again. Perfect example of when to buy low.

Disney Plus will make big gains in streaming services over the next year.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I would wait for now. As another poster said there will be more tumbles in the stock market until this thing subsides.

As soon as it is over I would invest in Disney. Stock is going to take a hit due to the theme parks closing, cruise ship cancellations and ESPN having nothing to do, but eventually people will go back to the parks and ESPN will be back on its feet once America gets sports again. Perfect example of when to buy low.

Disney Plus will make big gains in streaming services over the next year.
If this gets bad enough there will be some companies that will go out of business entirely. Not Disney, and probably not Boeing or other big companies, but smaller airlines, shipping companies, and restaurant chains would be a few. I'm surprised we have not heard more about layoffs. If that doesn't happen it is a good sign for a rebound in consumer demand later this year.

One thing about rebounds like yesterday. We are in bear market territory right now because of the depth of the correction, but it is NOT a secular bear market yet. The next few weeks will tell us if that is the case. Yes, you can make some money on rebounds, and if you are a short seller, you can make money on the way down. But bear markets, and steep corrections, are known for vicious rallies that throw people off.

Personally, I am buying a few of the stocks that are showing relative strength and NOT the ones that have gone down the most.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT