ADVERTISEMENT

OT stock market will go up - what to buy?

Everything will go up but what stocks will go up faster than others? Probably going up today. Do you think this is the bottom?

Not sure where is the bottom, but I believe it is a great time to buy.

I am 52 and have always been aggressive in the stock market. I have owned apple for 20+ years. I also own a lot of high dividend stocks such as T, VZ, SO, QYLD in addition to all the FAANG stocks. I am not a buyer and seller. I buy and hold. I may sell one or two stocks per year. I met with a financial planner for the first time ever in December He said I had more than enough to retire (which I would like to do at 55). He recommended I move to the conservative side. I told him I was riding this bull but was bailing at at the first sign of a crash. I got out with my total portfolio down 2.5% this year. It was up over a % in feb so I didn't get out on top but certainly missed a good part of the downfall. I have a big tax liability waiting on me next year that I'm not looking forward to paying.

I started buying back last week. BA, D, and QYLD. 1k per day every day for QYLD to dollar cost average. Not ready to buy back Apple yet. I will stay much more conservative this time around because of my age but I was determined to ride that bull till I can't no more.

Can you clarify a bit how these dividend stocks work?
Ive always focused on a fund blend, and never thought much on specific stocks with a div. Most all of my stuff is in a rollover 401K. ironically, when it was rolled, it moved to cash, and Its been sitting there for several months since about DOW 27,000. Now Im looking to buy back in, and considering a few funds and some specific stocks.

Is a div paid, and it auto repurchases shares with the div each year? I dunno what kind of div were talking but someone earlier I think mentioned exxon paid like 7-8% div, thats better than many years the market moves as a whole, so would it pay a div like that AND the stock move up over long term, seems like a winner. Clarity appreciated.

Im thinking of starting a buy about every other day for the next 100 days, of certain stocks and funds and hopefully I land in a good average cost. I feel like this thing is going to get worse before better, but I also feel a year from now, that these march prices will look really delicious.

Ive always focused on a fund blend, and never thought much on specific stocks with a div. Most all of my stuff is in a rollover 401K. ironically, when it was rolled, it moved to cash, and Its been sitting there for several months since about DOW 27,000. Now Im looking to buy back in, and considering a few funds and some specific stocks.

Is a div paid, and it auto repurchases shares with the div each year? I dunno what kind of div were talking but someone earlier I think mentioned exxon paid like 7-8% div, thats better than many years the market moves as a whole, so would it pay a div like that AND the stock move up over long term, seems like a winner. Clarity appreciated.

Im thinking of starting a buy about every other day for the next 100 days, of certain stocks and funds and hopefully I land in a good average cost. I feel like this thing is going to get worse before better, budt I also feel a year from now, that these march prices will look really delicious.
Your question depends on if you are buying a stock direct or through a company such as Fidelity. I only have one stock I buy direct for my kids. 100% of the dividends are reinvested in the stock.

98% of the stock I own are with fidelity. All of the dividends paid on these stocks are not reinvested automatically. My call how I reinvest or spend.

Be careful with some of these high dividend stocks. The reason the price may be low and the yield high is because investors are betting that they can't maintain their dividend. Ford is a great example. I would be nervous buying Exxon but I have been wrong before (just ask my wife). Ford just discontinued their dividend this week.

I personally like these dividend yielding stocks. T, VZ, QYLD, D and SO.

I have bought about $10k of QYLD over the last 10 days. I am going to continue buying over the next several months.

Gilead SciencesGilead Sciences
Your question depends on if you are buying a stock direct or through a company such as Fidelity. I only have one stock I buy direct for my kids. 100% of the dividends are reinvested in the stock.

98% of the stock I own are with fidelity. All of the dividends paid on these stocks are not reinvested automatically. My call how I reinvest or spend.

Be careful with some of these high dividend stocks. The reason the price may be low and the yield high is because investors are betting that they can't maintain their dividend. Ford is a great example. I would be nervous buying Exxon but I have been wrong before (just ask my wife). Ford just discontinued their dividend this week.

I personally like these dividend yielding stocks. T, VZ, QYLD, D and SO.

I have bought about $10k of QYLD over the last 10 days. I am going to continue buying over the next several months.

So, my rollover 401K is with Schwab. Sitting in money market essentially.

I thought exxon looked like a great buy as it seems after this, and when the arabs and russia work things out it could triple in a couple years. You'd be afraid of exxon because they might drop the div or because they might not survive?

Im trying to figure out how to look up what kind of div these stocks have been paying. Not sure if were talking 2% or 10% or somewhere between.

Looking at the QYLD, seeing if I can buy that without "upgrading my account" definately cant buy options without applying for an account upgrade and while a pop could be huge, its a HUGE risk and I dont sleep at night like that.

Gilead SciencesGilead Sciences

So, my rollover 401K is with Schwab. Sitting in money market essentially.

I thought exxon looked like a great buy as it seems after this, and when the arabs and russia work things out it could triple in a couple years. You'd be afraid of exxon because they might drop the div or because they might not survive?

Im trying to figure out how to look up what kind of div these stocks have been paying. Not sure if were talking 2% or 10% or somewhere between.

Looking at the QYLD, seeing if I can buy that without "upgrading my account" definately cant buy options without applying for an account upgrade and while a pop could be huge, its a HUGE risk and I dont sleep at night like that.
Exxon is not going anywhere. Their dividend could be at risk. If you are buying for the dividend, I would hold off. If buying for growth and not the dividend, probably not a bad play.

QYLD's yield is in between 9-11% since I have owned. My brother in law owns a ton of this stock. He lives off the dividends (heis retired).

All the other stocks I mentioned have a yield between 3-7%

Exxon is not going anywhere. Their dividend could be at risk. If you are buying for the dividend, I would hold off. If buying for growth and not the dividend, probably not a bad play.

QYLD's yield is in between 9-11% since I have owned. My brother in law owns a ton of this stock. He lives off the dividends (heis retired).

All the other stocks I mentioned have a yield between 3-7%

Very helpful,
My amateur view looks like Exxon could be good for growth and div, or if they stop the div, growth, and later return of div just looking at the fact of this mess, and the Saudi Russia fiasco, and the need for oil will remain/return.

Ive traditionally taken a vanguard 3 fund type approach to my investing, but when I got rolled out of my formers company 401K, I just waited till the fall. i didn't know why or when, but felt for a long time it would happen.

So, at this phase, I feel a more aggressive fund or stock buyin is appropriate since I think we are mich closer to the bottom than the top, and that has me slide towards aggressive.

We get 2 years down the rd, and rosy inclines are happening, i probably start sliding back towards a 3 fund blended approach of around 70% large cap, 20% small, and 10% the other piece (gotta look it up)

Reactions: viennacocks
FYI, retirees take money out of their savings so they can live. They don’t have a choice to wait until the market goes up.

Very helpful,
My amateur view looks like Exxon could be good for growth and div, or if they stop the div, growth, and later return of div just looking at the fact of this mess, and the Saudi Russia fiasco, and the need for oil will remain/return.

Ive traditionally taken a vanguard 3 fund type approach to my investing, but when I got rolled out of my formers company 401K, I just waited till the fall. i didn't know why or when, but felt for a long time it would happen.

So, at this phase, I feel a more aggressive fund or stock buyin is appropriate since I think we are mich closer to the bottom than the top, and that has me slide towards aggressive.

We get 2 years down the rd, and rosy inclines are happening, i probably start sliding back towards a 3 fund blended approach of around 70% large cap, 20% small, and 10% the other piece (gotta look it up)
Rhizzle, if you have a TD Ameriade account (or similar, if not then open one), you can login to your account and search for the ‘screener”. Under the screener you can pick a sector to view like the S&P 500. Set the screener to dividends (many options There) To what ever % you wish and then all the companies falling in that say 2% range and higher will pop up. Then you can research the actual company and read all types of news. i look for those companies paying above 4% and then read the news. i also look for those companies where the top management is actually buying their own company stock. Then decide how much you wish to buy. I have 2/3 my money in Vangaurd index 500 and another Vangaurd. The other 1/3 i buy my own stocks on TD using the method above. i would recommend that you spread your positions over many stocks. i am invested in 21 right now and luckily sold 4 before the crash but I am still at a massive loss. I reserved about 75K to play with the high risk/high dividend stocks but i watch those 4-5 times a day. i may buy this morning and sell at lunch. If you play in the high risk stocks i believe you need to be a in position to sell the stock (or buy) On a smart phone or you may miss a good profit or lose a small bundle depending on your definition.
You can make some great cash in the market if you are smart and somewhat careful. Set your self at a known profit/loss % and stick to that rule. Mine is 30% but I am not selling in this market. Remember, a gain or loss is only on paper until your make the trade. good luck but do your research first.
As vienna named above, i too own all the stock he mentioned except QYLD. Furthermore, i also own FE and duke power. I like the utilizes for the dividends as they seem to remain constant most of the time.

Im thinking of starting a buy about every other day for the next 100 days, of certain stocks and funds and hopefully I land in a good average cost. I feel like this thing is going to get worse before better, but I also feel a year from now, that these march prices will look really delicious.

If you have no experience buying stocks you would be better off buying a good mutual fund. If you want a good no-load fund that focuses on dividend paying stocks look at the Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund. It just re-opened to investors. It is primarily American Companies. T. Rowe Price has a good large cap fund called the Blue Chip Growth Fund. (TRBCX) If you want a world dividend growth fund look at Guiness Atkinson Dividend Builder. (GAINX) But these are 100% in stocks - they are not asset allocation strategies. I'm 66 and I own a good bit of VLAAX in my IRA. (Value Line Asset Allocation) Low volatility and very good long term performance.

If you want to use a broker look at American Funds. Especially, Income Fund of America. They only have load funds though.

If you have no experience buying stocks you would be better off buying a good mutual fund. If you want a good no-load fund that focuses on dividend paying stocks look at the Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund. It just re-opened to investors. It is primarily American Companies. T. Rowe Price has a good large cap fund called the Blue Chip Growth Fund. (TRBCX) If you want a world dividend growth fund look at Guiness Atkinson Dividend Builder. (GAINX) But these are 100% in stocks - they are not asset allocation strategies. I'm 66 and I own a good bit of VLAAX in my IRA. (Value Line Asset Allocation) Low volatility and very good long term performance.

If you want to use a broker look at American Funds. Especially, Income Fund of America. They only have load funds though.
If you need coronary bypass surgery, stick with a no load surgeon.

OWC is obviously well intentioned, but 100% in equities is for da utes.

Asset allocation with a professional is worth the modest advisory fee.

This virus was unexpected and unprecedented, but the fever will break.

Our economy has never been stronger coming in to this historical crisis.

Think long term and hang in there; history is on our side.

Stay healthy and good luck.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Asset allocation with a professional is worth the modest advisory fee..

Well, maybe.

I’ve never used a professional but I’ve also invested a lot of time in studying on my own and feel much more comfortable doing it myself.

It’s not that I have not sat down with professionals but in every case so far, I wasn’t impressed enough with their advice and guidance to pay for it compared to my own strategy.

but yes, if you aren’t comfortable or don’t want to invest the time, you are right.

I honestly would wait until May-June to start buying. This thing is going to get worse before it’s going to get better.

Looks like maybe Sen. Jim Inhofe R-OK did the same

as well as Sen. Dianne Feinstein D-CA

Sen. Kelly Loeffler sold between $1.2M and $3.1M worth of stock in the three weeks beginning on Jan 24—the day of a closed-door, all-Senator briefing on the coronavirus. Loeffler also purchased between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, which offers popular teleworking software and has actually seen a slight bump in its stock price

Well, maybe.

I’ve never used a professional but I’ve also invested a lot of time in studying on my own and feel much more comfortable doing it myself.

It’s not that I have not sat down with professionals but in every case so far, I wasn’t impressed enough with their advice and guidance to pay for it compared to my own strategy.

but yes, if you aren’t comfortable or don’t want to invest the time, you are right.

i have heard that too many times... I have intentionally avoided this thread because I am paranoid about securities regulations and public speaking restrictions and such, but anonymity please protect me, here goes! This will be long but if you take the time to read it and act accordingly, my advice can secure your financial future, relieve a lot of stress, and give you back hours and hours of free time you should be spending with the people you love doing the things you love.

Deciding if you should use an advisor or not is a personal choice... It comes down to time, will and skill.
Do you have the time to do it on your own?
Do you WANT to spend your time doing it on your own?
Do you feel you have as much/more knowledge and skill than someone who has devoted their life to understanding financial markets and advising clients on how to plan for their financial future?

I have only been in finance for about 15 years but thus far have not met a single person (who is not in the industry themselves) who can honestly answer all three of those questions in the affirmative. Who WANTS to spend every day researching stocks, analyzing the markets and monitoring their portfolio? How is it not worth a small fee to pay someone to take that burden off your shoulders? People will pay hundreds of dollars a month to have someone cut their grass but scoff at paying a financial advisor to secure their financial future and advise them on the more important aspects of financial planning..? If you were sick would you go to a professional to seek help or rely on the research you did online to guide you (web MD)? In my experience exactly 100% of the general population do not understand or flat out ignore the most important aspects of financial management- things like proper asset titling, consolidating to simplify, working with a professional to manage not just what stocks to buy but to manage your emotions.

Again, nothing I say here is a recommendation to buy or sell a specific security, I will simply take a bit of time to explain modern portfolio theory and why it has been the superior strategy adopted by virtually all reputable financial Advisors who act as fiduciaries for their clients (stay the Hell away from “brokers” offering variable annuities or loaded mutual funds, please people I beg you!) The facts are that professionals on average do a substantially better job of managing money for people than people typically do on their own. It is not because of some slick trading strategy or because we know the future, it is because we take a disciplined process to investing and we do not waver when the markets turn. We do not try to time the markets- NOBODY is successful at that- you literally have to be right twice to be right once and it is total LUCK. Timing/trading strategies are all garbage- they work UNTIL THEY DON’T and by the time you realize it is not working you have lost more than you are comfortable losing... Trading= GAMBLING. Unfortunately, without realizing that is exactly what they are doing, most self directed investors wind up GAMBLING with their life savings instead of investing it- pros set allocation targets based off an individual’s personal risk tolerance and needs, we know how to track the sector allocations and when the markets move and the allocations are off we rebalance to keep you aligned with the level of risk you are comfortable with. This leads to a consistent process of selling what has become too large of a portion of your portfolio (selling high) and buying what is now too small of a portion (buying low). Nothing else has consistently worked throughout the history of the markets... We can generate financial plans to help you understand your entire financial situation- down to what your bills will look like in retirement, health care expenses, college for your kids... compare it to your income and assets and give you a projection of what degree of confidence you should have in achieving your goals and sustaining your lifestyle through retirement. This is how you manage money... You take the guess work out of investing and establish a solid financial future without having to spend hours and hours of your own time futilely chasing returns in a market that changes faster than you can adapt. I love the quote from Peter Mallouk people have been putting on linked in often during this recent crash, it is basically- “if your strategy has changed in recent weeks you never had a strategy at all”. If you are one of these investors- I have seen a lot posting here in this Very thread- who said you were a “buy and hold” long term investor most of your life, then we had this downturn and all of a sudden you are in here sitting in cash smarting from whatever amount of loss you took before you got out, pontificating with a bunch of other people who have no clue what is about to happen in the markets about “if we hit the bottom” yet or not and trying to sound smart about how you will know when to jump in... For your own sake, go find a CFP, get a plan done and put most/all your money to work in a real investment strategy. Because, you DO NOT HAVE ONE CURRENTLY. You are flailing aimlessly in a sea of emotions and are angry I just called you out on it and will try to say “not me, he doesn’t know me, I am too smart for that”. No, you aren’t. You think you are because you are a doctor or a lawyer or some other successful person who has been good at everything in life and you think that means you can out think the markets and pick the right time. Nope, you can’t. I have seen it happen a thousand times, I have had this conversation a thousand times and I have seen people ruin their financial future and flush their entire life savings down the tubes in a few short months by being stupid in the markets even after I explained all of this too them and they refused to take my advice. If you were leveraged up on margin coming into this collapse, you know all too well what I am talking about. If anything I said hits home for you, please, I beg all of you to go sit down with a planner, get some advice and take advantage of it with the firm you feel you can trust the most.

That is a long post I know, if anybody knew my real name on here or if I were advertising my own firm or myself or making statements advertising myself as something I am not... I guess I could have violated some public speaking rules of my firm or something here? My belief is since I stuck to generalities and did not specifically solicit business that is not the case... But I just could not let this one go. I hope at least one person reads it, and is convinced to get help because your finances should be one of the most important things you can manage in life behind your health. Again, if I needed surgery I would go to a damn Dr., so why do so few people entrust a professional to assist them with their financial health? The industry has evolved, find someone who is a fiduciary (does what is in your best interests not just what they can deem as “suitable”), and spend your time enjoying your money, spend your time playing with your kids, or traveling or fishing or whatever... Let the pros manage your finances. You will be happier and most likely wealthier because of it in the end.

I honestly would wait until May-June to start buying. This thing is going to get worse before it’s going to get better.
I could be wrong but I think we have hit or are near the bottom. We will have a cure for the virus in a less than a month. Earnings will be down for the next 2-4 quarters but that is already built into stock prices.

China is back up and running. Companies that manufacture in China such as Apple are coming back up to full capacity.

I am still cautious and only have about 25% of my money in the market but I'm continuing to add every day.

Some companies such as Boeing and the airlines will take several years to rebound. I think they are oversold. I am going to continue buying BA. People will continue to fly long term.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think we have hit or are near the bottom. We will have a cure for the virus in a less than a month. Earnings will be down for the next 2-4 quarters but that is already built into stock prices.

China is back up and running. Companies that manufacture in China such as Apple are coming back up to full capacity.

I am still cautious and only have about 25% of my money in the market but I'm continuing to add every day.

Some companies such as Boeing and the airlines will take several years to rebound. I think they are oversold. I am going to continue buying BA. People will continue to fly long term.
I tend to agree with this. But the shock to the market was so sudden and precipitous that part of me believes the market is still vulnerable to more downside.

If you need coronary bypass surgery, stick with a no load surgeon.

OWC is obviously well intentioned, but 100% in equities is for da utes.

Asset allocation with a professional is worth the modest advisory fee.

This virus was unexpected and unprecedented, but the fever will break.

Our economy has never been stronger coming in to this historical crisis.

Think long term and hang in there; history is on our side.

Stay healthy and good luck.
I tend to agree with this. Especially if you are trying to build a stock portfolio. I have found a broker to be of great help in that situation. But with a little study and effort, building a diversified mutual fund portfolio is not that difficult. But it you don't want to spend the time then paying a small management fee to someone at Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard or even Edward Jones or Merrill is probably worth it.

i have heard that too many times... I have intentionally avoided this thread because I am paranoid about securities regulations and public speaking restrictions and such, but anonymity please protect me, here goes! This will be long but if you take the time to read it and act accordingly, my advice can secure your financial future, relieve a lot of stress, and give you back hours and hours of free time you should be spending with the people you love doing the things you love.

That is a long post I know, if anybody knew my real name on here or if I were advertising my own firm or myself or making statements advertising myself as something I am not... I guess I could have violated some public speaking rules of my firm or something here? My belief is since I stuck to generalities and did not specifically solicit business that is not the case... But I just could not let this one go. I hope at least one person reads it, and is convinced to get help because your finances should be one of the most important things you can manage in life behind your health. Again, if I needed surgery I would go to a damn Dr., so why do so few people entrust a professional to assist them with their financial health? The industry has evolved, find someone who is a fiduciary (does what is in your best interests not just what they can deem as “suitable”), and spend your time enjoying your money, spend your time playing with your kids, or traveling or fishing or whatever... Let the pros manage your finances. You will be happier and most likely wealthier because of it in the end.

This is a great post. Thanks for the info.

I don't disagree with you. However, I do not invest in individual stocks. I take the Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard approach and stick to a broad based selection of well rated mutual funds as well as having a Roth. It has served my needs well, and I've been happy with the results over the past 25 years.

It's not that I haven't dabbled in other investments, etc. I've had gold coins and such over the years too but mutual funds is where I put my investments.

I also have a pension offering through my employer (and I realize not a lot of companies offer those these days).

I do think having a well trusted financial advisor for most people is a good idea.

did you notice the Democratic Congressmen and women that DUMPED stocks just before the crash??

Richard Burr, Jim Inhofe, Kelly Loffler of Georgia, and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin did the same and are Republicans. Loffler and Burr dumped well over a million. Johnson's might be a bit different in that his investments were in a family owned company, not a public company.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I did the same and I'm a Republican. I don't understand the issue?

possible insider trading. Richard Burr of North Carolina dumped his after a Senate Intelligence meeting behind closed doors- where he went out and downplayed concerns in a media interview right after the meeting. Supposedly the intelligence meeting didn't paint a good picture of what was coming.

Reactions: taiwancock
This is a great post. Thanks for the info.

I don't disagree with you. However, I do not invest in individual stocks. I take the Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard approach and stick to a broad based selection of well rated mutual funds as well as having a Roth. It has served my needs well, and I've been happy with the results over the past 25 years.

It's not that I haven't dabbled in other investments, etc. I've had gold coins and such over the years too but mutual funds is where I put my investments.

I also have a pension offering through my employer (and I realize not a lot of companies offer those these days).

I do think having a well trusted financial advisor for most people is a good idea.
Pensions are becoming extinct, that is a real boost for your retirement many of us will never have.

I fully realize many will not take my advice I just want people to understand that the value of working with someone to help them plan for their financial future stretches beyond “what stocks they pick”.

For your investments, look at lower cost ETFs before mutual funds when you can. Typically you can find them with lower management fees. JFTR as I know this confuses a lot of people: “no load” mutual funds still have management fees, some are more expensive than the fees you would pay a financial advisor to manage your own personal situation... The “load” is a sales load paid on top of that management fee for certain share classes that basically goes right into the pocket of the person/company selling you the fund without providing you a thing. You can usually find an ETF providing the same or similar exposure for pennies on the dollar and you can be more tax efficient with them, which is another more complicated subject a good advisor can assist you with. Most of us are not CPAs but we can give you high level advice about how to be tax efficient with your personal investments deploying proper asset location, tax loss harvesting, Roth conversions... I cannot recommend a specific ETF but recommending low cost investments is high level enough it should keep me out of trouble.

Pensions are becoming extinct, that is a real boost for your retirement many of us will never have.

I fully realize many will not take my advice I just want people to understand that the value of working with someone to help them plan for their financial future stretches beyond “what stocks they pick”.

For your investments, look at lower cost ETFs before mutual funds when you can. Typically you can find them with lower management fees. JFTR as I know this confuses a lot of people: “no load” mutual funds still have management fees, some are more expensive than the fees you would pay a financial advisor to manage your own personal situation... The “load” is a sales load paid on top of that management fee for certain share classes that basically goes right into the pocket of the person/company selling you the fund without providing you a thing. You can usually find an ETF providing the same or similar exposure for pennies on the dollar and you can be more tax efficient with them, which is another more complicated subject a good advisor can assist you with. Most of us are not CPAs but we can give you high level advice about how to be tax efficient with your personal investments deploying proper asset location, tax loss harvesting, Roth conversions... I cannot recommend a specific ETF but recommending low cost investments is high level enough it should keep me out of trouble.

Yes, excellent info.

I stick with no load funds with low expense ratios and avoid funds with 12b fees. I do pay attention to those for sure.

I don't go around recommending people avoid using someone. I just answer for myself.

My parents do have an adviser that I feel comfortable with and has worked well for them for the most part. Obviously they are in retirement and have a more conservative approach.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I have bought MJ and QYLD this week... MJ because of dollar cost averaging - I bought some at $41 a year and a half ago, and watched it hang steady and then drop... Bought it 3 times this week with the lowest at $9.00..

Bought QYLD after seeing it mentioned in almost any thread about talking about stocks. Researched a little and then bought... Came within 5 cents of my limit order of buying again, yesterday...

People who are looking for dividend stocks might want to look at Duk, T, TFC, D, and UPS... Just fyi, UPS has never not payed OR reduced their dividend. There have been some years where they didn't increase the dividend, but never reduced or not payed one each quarter. I worked there 28 years...

Last edited:
i never said Republicans werent doing it.. lol
Yeah but you specifically pointed out one group so the intent was pretty clear. The worst part is Burr voted against the bill to make Congress accountable to insider trading.

What even worse than the sell off is how many of them bought into remote work software companies. Everyone identified in this regardless of party should be investigated and prosecuted. What they did was way worse than Martha Stewart.

Right! The old adage is that if you sell now you will end up buying back at a higher price. Happens almost all the time.

I lived through 1999-2001 and 2007-2009. There were quite a few lessons from those two periods that apply now as well.
Negative. Just checked all the securities that I dumped a month or so ago. I might the right choice. I could almost double my shares if I bought back now.

Negative. Just checked all the securities that I dumped a month or so ago. I might the right choice. I could almost double my shares if I bought back now.

You did good. Most of the time it doesn't work that way. I would have never thought to sell a month ago because of a virus. This market is going down more. Possibly a lot more. The number of cases has doubled in the US in 2 days. By Monday there will be close to 50,000 cases. 3 states have shut down. More will shut down next week.

I thought 18,000 was the lowest. The Dow could go as low as 14,000-15,000. The S&P might dip below 2,000.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You did good. Most of the time it doesn't work that way. I would have never thought to sell a month ago because of a virus. This market is going down more. Possibly a lot more. The number of cases has doubled in the US in 2 days. By Monday there will be close to 50,000 cases. 3 states have shut down. More will shut down next week.

I thought 18,000 was the lowest. The Dow could go as low as 14,000-15,000. The S&P might dip below 2,000.
I thought 19k. Then I thought 15 k. Now Im thinking 10k to 12k if we are lucky. We are literally just now scratching the surface.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Looks like maybe Sen. Jim Inhofe R-OK did the same

as well as Sen. Dianne Feinstein D-CA

Sen. Kelly Loeffler sold between $1.2M and $3.1M worth of stock in the three weeks beginning on Jan 24—the day of a closed-door, all-Senator briefing on the coronavirus. Loeffler also purchased between $100,000 and $250,000 in Citrix, which offers popular teleworking software and has actually seen a slight bump in its stock price

I wonder if they will pay the capitol gains taxes or are they exempt from such silly rules???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT