ADVERTISEMENT

OT stock market will go up - what to buy?

I bought a little SLB, HTZ DIS XOM and one other. All seem to be very large companies who should survive but are way down lately. I nibbled a bit but am watching now to average down. I’m prob 10% in at this point.

Someone mentioned KOCH but they are private from what I’ve seen.

Also looking at stock LNG and CAR. Huge companies that are way down

If I 3x my investments in 3-4 yrs I consider that a huge win. Also watching QYLD closely. I’m headed towards that one later when I start moving out of some of these other positions.

Bought QYLD at $18.50 2 weeks ago.. I fit drops again (I don't think we have hit a bottom yet) I will buy again...

Home Depot and Lowe’s are packed with everyone home doing DIY projects. I’d buy them, a oil etf and a United Airlines.

Home Depot and Lowe’s are packed with everyone home doing DIY projects. I’d buy them, a oil etf and a United Airlines.
Airlines and oil stocks are on sale right now, but they could go to the teens or even single digits. Overall, the market is going to retest the lows and probably go lower. (50-50 at this point) I'm keeping my powder dry.

Reactions: taiwancock
This is what I do for a living. However, I'm probably unlike most who are trying to hit a home run with the next big "thing". I've been advising clients to buy good quality long term holdings, those will be the ones who make it out alive at the end of this mess and most will be stronger for it. One speculative stock a client mentioned to me and bought is RHHBY. It's one of these that;s developing stuff specifically for the virus.

Reactions: vacock#
This is what I do for a living. However, I'm probably unlike most who are trying to hit a home run with the next big "thing". I've been advising clients to buy good quality long term holdings, those will be the ones who make it out alive at the end of this mess and most will be stronger for it. One speculative stock a client mentioned to me and bought is RHHBY. It's one of these that;s developing stuff specifically for the virus.

Yes, that's foolishness at this point. I have a few things I want to buy and positions I want to add to, but now is not the time. Market internals are not good. I wouldn't try to pick the bottom, but we are going back below 20,000 by this time next week. If we take out the recent low support is between 16,000 and 18,0000.

Somewhere in here airlines and oil stocks look good. But not yet - some of these companies won't survive. Others will cut or suspend their dividend to save cash. Hard to know which ones are the strongest. I know several high yielding oil stocks that borrow money to keep up their dividend. I'd stay away from those.

Reactions: vacock#
Current favorites are:
GILD calls {waiting for Remdesivir FDA approval}
Silver calls
30Y treasury calls
USD calls
And crypto of course

I personally believe in Tesla. Some people don’t. I purchased the car. It’s one of the best you can buy. Crazy thing is they’re not even a “car company”. Solar energy is the way of the future.

Just wanted to point out if you took my advice on March 30 Tesla stock closed at $502.13 that day. Today it closed at $1544.65

If someone can find a stock in this thread that’s done more in a few months, let me know.

Just wanted to point out if you took my advice on March 30 Tesla stock closed at $502.13 that day. Today it closed at $1544.65

If someone can find a stock in this thread that’s done more in a few months, let me know.

I looked back thru the whole thread to see if Amazon was mentioned, but it had not been, so I guess your TESLA tip was the best. Just fyi, Amazon closed on March 30 at $1922.83. Friday close was at $3200,... an increase of $1277.17, which beats your Tesla.

Wish I had bought either of those 2 on March 30...

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I looked back thru the whole thread to see if Amazon was mentioned, but it had not been, so I guess your TESLA tip was the best. Just fyi, Amazon closed on March 30 at $1922.83. Friday close was at $3200,... an increase of $1277.17, which beats your Tesla.

Wish I had bought either of those 2 on March 30...

There is the misconception that you can’t gain much off the big companies. Amazon has blown that through the water and if anything the pandemic made demand stronger. In hindsight, I should’ve been able to put two and two together there.

Reactions: Silverspur02
One of the safest stocks you can buy is Coca Cola. Sure it took a dip like some of the others, but they will continue to sell globally and survive this. At the end of the day a lot of people will still drink coke.

Disney will come back stronger once this is over. Their cruise line will take a hit but the rest of it will bounce back.

I personally believe in Tesla. Some people don’t. I purchased the car. It’s one of the best you can buy. Crazy thing is they’re not even a “car company”. Solar energy is the way of the future. In addition the “boring” company could be a game changer in fighting traffic.

All of these stocks would be good investments in June/July... when I think we will be close to rock bottom.

Bumping just to let you know if you took my advice then, I would appreciate a steak dinner. After all, now you have the funds to eat steak the rest of the year.

Obviously the ship has sailed with Tesla,but those bullish on electric cars have another favs?I bought Chinese electric car company LI,thought about NIO.Thus far Li has done nothing but the potential is certainly there.

Obviously the ship has sailed with Tesla,but those bullish on electric cars have another favs?I bought Chinese electric car company LI,thought about NIO.Thus far Li has done nothing but the potential is certainly there.

I would not say the ship has sailed with Tesla. Its around $700 a share and I expect it to get around $1,000 a share again soon. You can’t make as much as if you would have acted in March, but that’s true for a lot of stocks now.

If Etrade didn't have to butcher English grammar to make this punch line work I'd enjoy this commercial a lot more:

(I know the phrase was coined that way, but I it still grates me.)

Last edited:
I would not say the ship has sailed with Tesla. Its around $700 a share and I expect it to get around $1,000 a share again soon. You can’t make as much as if you would have acted in March, but that’s true for a lot of stocks now.
I'm talking about hitting the big home run.

Your call but my advice is when you swing for the fences sometimes you strike out. Nothing wrong with a few doubles and triples in the gaps.
When you swing for the fences, you strike out more often than you hit home runs. I'm a singles and doubles hitter with an occasional bomb. It will make you a long term winner.

My investment in Li amounts to .0037 of my portfolio.However if it takes off ala Tesla I stand to make a nice chunk of change.Right now its the only stock I own that is not buy and hold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT