ADVERTISEMENT

OT: what book(s) are you reading?

stevestrat2

Jun 12, 2010
South Carolina
I decided to read The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Like a lot of people, i watch the movies (yes even III) at least twice a year I would say. Decided to read the book. How about you? What are you reading and do you like it?

I decided to read The Godfather by Mario Puzo. Like a lot of people, i watch the movies (yes even III) at least twice a year I would say. Decided to read the book. How about you? What are you reading and do you like it?
Read The Godfather when it was first published in paperback....early 70s I suppose, it was quite extraordinary in its depiction of the mafia culture at the time.
Am presently reading Victor Davis Hanson's new history of WWII on Kindle.

biography of charles colson
Interesting.

I've been switching back and forth from Baldacci novels (escapism) with William Manchester's three volume biography of Churchill. The Churchill books are HUGE, and I check the Kindle books out of the library. I have a hard time reading them in the 3 weeks allotted. I've finished two and I'm gearing up for the third.

Read The Godfather when it was first published in paperback....early 70s I suppose, it was quite extraordinary in its depiction of the mafia culture at the time.
Am presently reading Victor Davis Hanson's new history of WWII on Kindle.
I’m not claiming to be a mafia expert...but I’ve read articles and seen documentaries that indicate the mafia wasn’t as much depicted by the movie as they were influenced by it. The fashion, the codes of honor, etc were said to come from “The Godfather”, as the mafia liked the portrayal. Can anyone who knows more than me verify or debunk this idea?

I’m not claiming to be a mafia expert...but I’ve read articles and seen documentaries that indicate the mafia wasn’t as much depicted by the movie as they were influenced by it. The fashion, the codes of honor, etc were said to come from “The Godfather”, as the mafia liked the portrayal. Can anyone who knows more than me verify or debunk this idea?
Have no idea but may have some truth to it given the influence of Hollywood on the culture.

I am watching the sopranos (old I know but first time checking it out) and I've been amused how the mobsters love The Godfather and have lengthy discussions about various aspects of it

The Lost Battles: Leonardo, Michelangelo and the Artistic Duel that defined the Renaissance. Just started.

Ralph Stanley autobiography. Man was a legend. I got to meet him several years ago before he died.

Interesting.

I've been switching back and forth from Baldacci novels (escapism) with William Manchester's three volume biography of Churchill. The Churchill books are HUGE, and I check the Kindle books out of the library. I have a hard time reading them in the 3 weeks allotted. I've finished two and I'm gearing up for the third.
It took me a over a year to get through all three (from the library at six weeks at a time). 3,000 pages of great writing. I read Volume III first because I was most interested in WWII, but Volumes I and II were also fascinating. Who knew his mother could be "so well loved"?

Interesting.

I never knew what an Incubus was until I read A World Lit Only By Fire by Manchester. It was probably the greatest scam of all time.

I think we have some BS on here, no one reads best sellers? I just finished “Origin” by Dan Brown. Quantum computers are going to change the word...again. The book was interesting and worth reading, but anyone interested in the future needs to go to youtube and watch a video on the D-wave quantum computer. (Then come back and explain how a quantum particle can be in 2 different places at once and how we access and use other dimensions to power a computer)

Last edited:
I’ve just finished the Saxon Stories , I think its at 11 books currently, by Bernard Cornwell. Its an extremely entertaining series. Its along the lines of the Game of Throne series minus the magic and dragons. If you are interested in the early history of Englad and the battle strategy of the time, you’ll love this series.

Just finished "Giant in Gray" The biography of Wade Hampton.

Fascinating. I will never look at the Hampton statue again without saying WOW over the details of this man's life: His SOuthern Gentleman qualities, respected by all....raised his personal Legion, rose to General in command of Southern Cavalry, His governorship / Senate position, his leadership through Reconstruction...and YES, Tillman was a MONSTER ! I cringe to even sully this post by the mention of Tillman. The antithesis of the Great Carolinian...Wade Hampton ! Up next General James Longstreet.

This....

51tPg5XaTAL._SX442_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My No. 1 favorite comic strip, I think. Edges out Bloom County and Farside.

I'm wading back through Don Quixote ... Try to read one lengthy classic a year, straight through without putting it down and picking something else up. Last year was "War and Peace." I'm on 288 or so on Quixote, which I last read probably a decade ago.

But I prefer British mysteries, from Agatha Christie to Colin Dexter and the Jack Frost series by R.D. WIngfield, and the greatest comic writer of all time, P.G. Wodehouse.

I quote:
“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir.”

I’ve just finished the Saxon Stories , I think its at 11 books currently, by Bernard Cornwell. Its an extremely entertaining series. Its along the lines of the Game of Throne series minus the magic and dragons. If you are interested in the early history of Englad and the battle strategy of the time, you’ll love this series.
That sounds good. I'll have to try it, or rather them. I just hope the author actually finishes the series. The GOT author Martin and that Patrick Rothfuss guy (Kingkiller Chronicle) have kept me hanging for a very long time for their "final" books. I'm about to take it personally.

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. Excellent and deeply interesting book, but the immense detail slows me down.

That's a book I reference a lot in the class I teach. There is a much older book I have read since called Ecological Imperialism which he obviously borrowed much from. Another good book along those lines is The Wealth and Poverty of Nations by David Landes. It's another way to look at the same subject matter. For a more modern look I would read The World is Flat by Freidman.

A World At Arms. A global history of WW II. Gerhard L. Weinberg
Very comprehensive and detailed. Very detailed

Cornwell's an outstanding writer/story teller.

I liked the Sharpe series a great deal.

Reactions: VirgilCaine

Just finished "Fire and Fury" by Michael Wolff, "The Divine Conspiracy" by the late Dallas Willard and "Everything Belongs" by Richard Rohr

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Last edited:
Just started Jason Matthews’ “The Kremlin Conspiracy.” It’s the third book in the “Red Sparrow” series. The second book “Palace of Treason” was excellent so I decided to finish up the series.

The Bible - 5 more books to complete; Good Faith by David Kinnaman & Gabe Lyons; Even in Our Darkness by Jack Deere
I read through the Bible every year, I read the Bibles that takes you through readings in the Old Testament, New Testament, and Psalms each day.

That sounds good. I'll have to try it, or rather them. I just hope the author actually finishes the series. The GOT author Martin and that Patrick Rothfuss guy (Kingkiller Chronicle) have kept me hanging for a very long time for their "final" books. I'm about to take it personally.

If you enjoyed the series you mentioned, I can guarantee you be glad you started this series. BTW its a BBC series now. Its called the Last Kingdom (also the title of the first book in the series) but read the books first. The lead character, Uhtred , is great character and a true badass. I know what mean about waiting for the final book (s) , Bernie is 6 months past due with the next book in the series. Really, do yourself a favor and make a it a priority to read the first book, you’ll end up burning through the series. Let me know what think if you do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT