ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What is an unpopular opinion that you have? Do you...

The Peace Corps types graduated to the State Department, and that explains the unhappy situation with our foreign policy and endless foreign entanglements.

I think there should be a military draft. Actually, I think there should be two years national service after high school -- military, Peace Corp, serving in some kind of national health service, something.

Course, in the spirit of full disclosure, it won't apply to me.
A) I'm way the hell too old to be drafted and B) I was dumb enough to enlist in the Army back during the 80s.

Absolutely agree with this- without the specter of everybody's kid being susceptible to being snatched up by the government at random to fight in wars, presidents are far too free to declare them. If the military relied on a draft, for example, either Bush does not go into Iraq or he is denied a second term for having done so.

I see some guys at the gym with sleeve tattoos and just wonder what that's going to look like when they're 65 or 70.
ZACKLY!!! Both my grandfathers HATED their WWII Tats!! They were unreadable/recognizable when both were in their 70's!!!

I think there should be a military draft. Actually, I think there should be two years national service after high school -- military, Peace Corp, serving in some kind of national health service, something.

Course, in the spirit of full disclosure, it won't apply to me.
A) I'm way the hell too old to be drafted and B) I was dumb enough to enlist in the Army back during the 80s.
So glad this is not a thing. Dying for the ideals of the fools who have run our country most of my adult life is not high on my list of wants.

which is one of my unpopular opinions- we have not had a reasonably qualified, intelligent, rational candidate to vote into office as president in a very long time. It is always the lesser of two evils. I thought Obama was going to be that but it turned out one of the most important aspects of the job- foreign policy- was completely “foreign” to him.

Last edited:
I don't like going to the movies. I haven't been to a movie theater in almost 10 years. I just don't enjoy it.

What is it about going to the movies you don't like? Is it political distaste for how most of Hollywood leans? A fear of public spaces? Germophobia? Just curious. Not many things more enjoyable to me on a hot summer weekend afternoon than grabbing a beer and popcorn at the local theater and settling in for a good movie.

Hollywood can no longer make good movies because they're too scared to offend anyone. They make comic book movies nowdays.

My understanding is that four companies have gone bankrupt under Trump. Not sure how this translates into excellent business doctrine.

Your are correct regarding different skill sets. However, leading a country is not the same as leading a business.
He is currently a billionaire, a good businessmen knows how to utilize bankruptcy to protect assets from creditors and rebound.

I have already stated he lacks political skills, an expected element in a typical president. His economic policy outweighs his negative tendacies, and it appears he will be re-elected. Neither Biden or Sanders will beat him this time. Biden would have likely won in 2016, but not now.

Yeah that teleprompter speech full of errors last night really calmed everyone's fears. The leader that we need in a time of crisis sure isn't the one we have. Watch the CSpan feed of Trump after the speech. Then tell me he has any empathy.
I'm not sure I'm looking for empathy from a politician. I just hope they have an idea of right/wrong and make the best decisions for the country.

Kareem was a more dominant (at every level from high school to the NBA) basketball player than either Jordan or James. Interestingly, he has said several times over the past few years that Bird was the best player he ever played against.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
I won't rip you to shreds, but I don't believe you when you say you don't know who the Governor is of your state or the name of the V-POTUS. You've made too many logical, well thought out arguments on this forum for me to buy that.

Lol I wish it were true . I remember the last Governor because he passed some laws that screwed up some of my favorite fishing spots on the beach !!! That was Rick Scott , but that’s the only reason I know . We have a new Governor now but I honestly don’t know his name or what he’s about . I guess the good news is a VP is probably doing his job if nobody knows him !! Kinda like a LG in a football game . The last VP I remember was the one who shot himself Dove hunting down in Bluffton . That’s the only reason I remember him . Haha

So glad this is not a thing. Dying for the ideals of the fools who have run our country most of my adult life is not high on my list of wants.

which is one of my unpopular opinions- we have not had a reasonably qualified, intelligent, rational candidate to vote into office as president in a very long time. It is always the lesser of two evils. I thought Obama was going to be that but it turned out one of the most important aspects of the job- foreign policy- was completely “foreign” to him.

And screwing up the economy, notice anything on the chart? Say around 2009.

united-states-government-debt-to-gdp.png

Trump released a balanced budget by 2035. It's going to take 15 years to fix it.

Edit: Chart is GDP to Debt ratio.

Last edited:
What is it about going to the movies you don't like? Is it political distaste for how most of Hollywood leans? A fear of public spaces? Germophobia? Just curious. Not many things more enjoyable to me on a hot summer weekend afternoon than grabbing a beer and popcorn at the local theater and settling in for a good movie.
My wife and I haven't been to a movie theater in over 10 years as well. It's the darkened room, the bright lights from the screen, and the excessively loud sound that turn us off. Netflix is our solution.

I'm a little surprised at the thought of a mandatory service period following high school or age 18 being as popular as it seems here. I wholehearted agree with the idea.

At a time when meaningful jobs for the masses seem to be more difficult to find or are on the low end of the pole, it would fill a much needed niche in our national structure. Many young people would find their path or a skill or appreciation for the country they inherit.

I'm a little surprised at the thought of a mandatory service period following high school or age 18 being as popular as it seems here. I wholehearted agree with the idea.

At a time when meaningful jobs for the masses seem to be more difficult to find or are on the low end of the pole, it would fill a much needed niche in our national structure. Many young people would find their path or a skill or appreciation for the country they inherit.
Ideally, it should not be mandatory, but something the citizenry willingly do right after HS graduation as a means of personally taking responsibility for the freedoms our Republic offers.

Unfortunately, the aforementioned is not reality.

People who dont like U2 or Tom Petty are musical midgets (U2's "war" is one of the greatest albums ever made.) Basketball and golf suck. A beautiful black woman is sexier and hotter than any blonde. Sci-Fi, including Star Trek and Star Wars, is so boring, as are comic/super hero movies. Evolution is the biggest crock of crap ever invented and I absolutely despise pretty much everything that is considered "popular music" today.

I guess I'm at that age where youngsters just roll their eyes at you when you express your lack of understanding for why tattoos are cool. But, seriously, I see some guys at the gym with sleeve tattoos and just wonder what that's going to look like when they're 65 or 70. I can just remember going to the barber shop with my dad in Columbia when I was a kid (Lambert's Barber Shop...used to be on D Avenue around the corner from Zesto)...all these old guys would be sitting around and some of them were old military guys with tattoos that were all just faded, blurry bluish blobs. I didn't get it then. Don't get it now.
a good ole guy from C-WC.

I don’t like The Eagles, Elvis, Guns n Roses, Pearl Jam or The Smiths.

Auto Racing is boring. UFC is disgusting.

I walked out of Pulp Fiction and hated The Godfather (only watched 1). And The Graduate and Doctor Strangelove are not funny. They suck.

Reactions: jeff2001
I know her from hosting shows & being a guest on shows, but I can’t name a song by Mary J. Blige.

People who dont like U2 or Tom Petty are musical midgets (U2's "war" is one of the greatest albums ever made.) Basketball and golf suck. A beautiful black woman is sexier and hotter than any blonde. Sci-Fi, including Star Trek and Star Wars, is so boring, as are comic/super hero movies. Evolution is the biggest crock of crap ever invented and I absolutely despise pretty much everything that is considered "popular music" today.
I guess I'm half midget. It's not that U2 wasn't good. More like they just got old to me. I get fed up with any band that saturates the air waves. I didn't see anything particularly special in their musicianship.

I hate slaw and potato salad because mayo is disgusting.

I can’t stand New Years Eve. The Fourth of July always feels kind of contrived, too.

The US needs to dump the imperial system and go completely Metric. Something we should have done 40+ years ago.

Actually, we are doing a few things Metric, e.g., when you purchase new eyeglasses, you'll note that the measurements are all in millimeters. And wine & hard liquor is sold is measured exclusively Metric. Just two examples of the US "inching its way towards Metrication." Eyeroll

Last edited:
The US needs to dump the imperial system and go completely Metric. Something we should have done 40+ years ago.

Actually, we are doing a few things Metric, e.g., when you purchase new eyeglasses, you'll note that the measurements are all in millimeters. And hard liquor is sold by the milliliter. Just two examples of the US "inching its way towards Metrication." Eyeroll

Why?

Reactions: Zann77

Actually, we are doing a few things Metric, e.g., when you purchase new eyeglasses, you'll note that the measurements are all in millimeters. And hard liquor is sold by the milliliter. Just two examples of the US "inching its way towards Metrication." Eyeroll

Why?

Reactions: Zann77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT