ADVERTISEMENT

Our corners playing off their man

umdterpcock

Gold Member
Sep 23, 2003
By 7 yards is completely stupid.

If I'm the DC and we are going to get beat and beat bad I'm pressing those guys every chance I get to try to disrupt the flow of their offense.

What's one good reason not to do that? I'm sick of watching our guys give that cushion and give easy throws every single game we play in.

Reactions: GamecockJL

If I'm the DC and we are going to get beat and beat bad I'm pressing those guys every chance I get to try to disrupt the flow of their offense.

What's one good reason not to do that? I'm sick of watching our guys give that cushion and give easy throws every single game we play in.
Playing 7 off is normal. Back-pedaling and giving up inside position is not. By the time the ball is thrown, our CBs are 15 yards back and standing outside the numbers. It is up to the linebackers to jump underneath the route and up to the safeties to make tackles. We might as well not have CBs.

WRs and CBs have to as weak for a south carolina team as I can ever remember. They are down right dreadful, one time a WR for Georgia ran a slant and our CB was ten yards away, how is that even possible?

Playing 7 off is normal. Back-pedaling and giving up inside position is not. By the time the ball is thrown, our CBs are 15 yards back and standing outside the numbers. It is up to the linebackers to jump underneath the route and up to the safeties to make tackles. We might as well not have CBs.
Normal? So Alabama playing up isn't normal? I watch lots of football, playing 7 yards off the receiver is not what I see other good teams doing.

How's is playing 7 yards off the ball smart? We could give up 4 To 5 yards on every pass play if the opposing qb is accurate. 4-5 yards every play is a guaranteed 1st down.

Beckam u may be right, but it still doesn't make sense to me. I played weakside corner and my alignment was 5 yards off the ball and my coach was very conservative.

Reactions: BigTomE
Normal? So Alabama playing up isn't normal? I watch lots of football, playing 7 yards off the receiver is not what I see other good teams doing.

How's is playing 7 yards off the ball smart? We could give up 4 To 5 yards on every pass play if the opposing qb is accurate. 4-5 yards every play is a guaranteed 1st down.

Beckam u may be right, but it still doesn't make sense to me. I played weakside corner and my alignment was 5 yards off the ball and my coach was very conservative.
7 yards is normal man coverage depth. 5 or less is bump and run. The problem with our guys is technique. At the snap, they backpedal and turn their hips in while fading outside the numbers. They concede the 5-10 passes. It's crazy.

7 yards is normal man coverage depth. 5 or less is bump and run. The problem with our guys is technique. At the snap, they backpedal and turn their hips in while fading outside the numbers. They concede the 5-10 passes. It's crazy.
So why don't they ask Spurrier why and ask him why he won't change it?

Drives me insane.

But, we're not playing man. We're playing Tampa 2 which is zone.

Drives me crazy EVERY YEAR!!

The problem with our guys is they are not good enough to be playing at this level. That is why they play so soft. Another example of what lazy recruiting will get you.

When Harris Jr got the pass interference called on him. That was the closes anybody got to a wr.

In college, the cb shouldn't give up the inside position. Make the wr take the out route and the qb make the longer, harder throw. If he under throes the wr, that's when your pick 6 can happen. Saw one play when Georgia was on the 13-14 yard line, our safety was playing 4 yards deep in the end zone. He might as well go sit down by the goal post, as he has taken himself out of the play anyway

In college, the cb shouldn't give up the inside position. Make the wr take the out route and the qb make the longer, harder throw. If he under throes the wr, that's when your pick 6 can happen. Saw one play when Georgia was on the 13-14 yard line, our safety was playing 4 yards deep in the end zone. He might as well go sit down by the goal post, as he has taken himself out of the play anyway
Totally agree it's like it's 9 vs 11 with the safeties so deep.

I haven't seen a defensive secondary play that poorly since I saw Aaron Rodgers set an NFL record throwing 6 touchdowns passes in the first half against the Bears last year.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/11...ears-2014-results-score-sunday-night-football

Because their secondary is atrocious, and the blame should go squarely on defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. With defensive back Charles Tillman sidelined with an injury for the year, the Bears are one of the worst defenses in the league against the pass. Against Green Bay, the defensive backs and cornerbacks seemed completely lost at Lambeau, giving Packers receivers acres of space and allowing Rodgers and Flynn to make huge throws.

#hokeisajoke

Last edited:
I don't think Hoke understands man to man coverage, using your hands to jam receivers, not giving away inside position, etc. I'd be glad to come teach this stuff to our kids since he's not going to apparently.

If the game plan was to make Greyson Lambert beat us i would say it was a success. I only expected they would make it tougher for him. Maybe he's a relative of hoke or something? I'm 41 and positive I could have hit those passes the recievers were so open.

Reactions: BigTomE
Everyone is going to see this tape and how easy we made it for Kentucky and UGA. This has got to be fixed. CBs need to move up a little bit lined up on the inside and not give up the inside position. Make the QB throw the fade or the back shoulder throw because it's tougher. Let the safties worry about the deep pass. If we still get beat, so be it but least don't make it as easy as possible by leaving a clear path for from the QB to the WR every time.

It was like watching a replay of the A&M game last year. Lambert looked like an all American QB despite not throwing the ball beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. It was painfully obvious, to everyone watching, that allowing their receivers a 7 yard cushion was not working. When something isn't working, then it needs to be fixed. Our defense isn't working. Perhaps NFL CB's can allow a 7 yard cushion, but we don't have that kind of talent. It's time to change our style of defense. I like what Georgia does. Bring the house and play man on the outside.

It was like watching a replay of the A&M game last year. Lambert looked like an all American QB despite not throwing the ball beyond 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. It was painfully obvious, to everyone watching, that allowing their receivers a 7 yard cushion was not working. When something isn't working, then it needs to be fixed. Our defense isn't working. Perhaps NFL CB's can allow a 7 yard cushion, but we don't have that kind of talent. It's time to change our style of defense. I like what Georgia does. Bring the house and play man on the outside.

What he said X's 2

uscbeckham understands. We're playing a zone scheme. The cb SHOULD line up around 7 yards off against most offensive alignments. He's responsible for the deepest offensive player in his zone. The LB on his side of the field is responsible for the flats. The safety is giving help over the top. So, in other words: we should have a numbers advantage. The reasons we made a decent ACC qb look like an AFC All-Pro are: the CB seems to forget about safety help over the top and dropped too deep too soon after the snap, and therefore couldn't cover the curl; and the LBs didn't get in the flats to cover the slants.

This means either: our defensive coaches didn't notice or couldn't coach our guys on what to do or our guys don't understand and therefore can't get it right. Either way, either players or coaches need to be replaced.

They have been playing "keep away" for a long time, I thought it was the new PC way to play football!
Except we are the only ones that know how to do it....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT