ADVERTISEMENT

Our Fans are much better than the money.....

Cocks28

Dec 8, 2016
Yesterday when the rains hit the majority of fans left. During 3Q when the stadium had about 25K left the magic returned. I remember this feeling happening every week and it’s slowly left over the last 10 years. The fans from the 3Q on were the loyal fans that created the tradition known to many as we have “the most loyal fans in the country.” This same small number of fans were louder yesterday than it was at anytime prior to the rain coming.

I looked at my 15 year old son and the long timers sitting next to me and said son you will not be able to understand this but this is how it felt every game when I started coming when I was 16. All the fans truly believed and had faith and the team fed off the energy that you feel right now.

This was a teaching moment as I told him that money is good but when money becomes the one thing that drives decisions then it turns bad. The enormous increases in tickets, dues, and the inclusion of seat fees drove out the faithful. How many times over the years do we read or hear from our friends or fans that they have thrown in the towel due to the continued increase in cost. The $20 handling fee everytime you order a single ticket or the $5 charge for a plain hot dog or bottle of water Is another example of its all about the money to USC.

Over the last 36 years I’ve contributed over 250K. I’ve thought about giving it up a few times not because of wins and losses but because the money is the only thing that seems to matter to the athletic dept.

Hope this resonates with others and just had to recant the other thread about our team is better than our fans. I think the stakes are so high now that a lot of loyal fans have left and those remaining are outnumbered by those who will walk out when the score is going the wrong way or if it rains. I blame the athletic dept who has made our teams untouchable and drove away many loyal followers who now watch from afar.

May be true, but the point is baseless. College football is big business. Football produces tremendous cash that drives a lot of other lesser sports at any university. Yea, it would be great if they still charged 15.00 for a ticket, and two bucks for a drink. But it is a business. Nothing more, nothing less

Former 30 year GC Member who dropped-out in 2008. Still go to a few games each year but no longer contribute to new designed "money-pit." Long-time FGFer who posted quiet often until last year. Went to the game yesterday. Stayed until the end.

It's the first time I've experienced a game like the one yesterday since 2008. The Gamecock fan camaraderie, pleasantness, positiveness, wholesomeness, politeness and fun for some reason suddenly surfaced yesterday. The negativity, vulgarity, rudeness, complaining, drunkenness was completely missing all around me - from the parking lot, tailgating, walk to the game and during the game at my section, the sections next to me and everywhere I walked and even at the corridors during the 2 delays. If we had lost, I would've posted the same reply but simply said I was disappointed that we had lost.

The most fun I've had at a game in many years and everyone within my eyesight was exemplifying the same demeanor. A great day for the Gamecocks who were there yesterday. It definitely seemed to be a different crowd. I can't include myself in this group but I'm sure their were many "faithful" Gamecocks fans there yesterday who wished it was like that for all games, Reality - we live in a different sports world now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT