ADVERTISEMENT

Our football radio broadcasts are bad

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Each year at this time I start to watch some old game videos on Youtube and some have the radio broadcast. I also like at times to watch the game on TV, turn the volume of the broadcast down and stream the radio broadcast. That being said....ours is really bad and has suffered since the Bob Fulton days. Have to say, thanks Todd for the all the memories but you simply are not a radio signal caller.

I wish Tanner would step up to the plate and make the hard decisions for a change to bring in a real, experienced, trained radio voice. Todd just is not it. He sounds awkward on the radio and its hard to listen to at time.

Wake up asleep at the wheel Tanner.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT UNC!!!

Each year at this time I start to watch some old game videos on Youtube and some have the radio broadcast. I also like at times to watch the game on TV, turn the volume of the broadcast down and stream the radio broadcast. That being said....ours is really bad and has suffered since the Bob Fulton days. Have to say, thanks Todd for the all the memories but you simply are not a radio signal caller.

I wish Tanner would step up to the plate and make the hard decisions for a change to bring in a real, experienced, trained radio voice. Todd just is not it. He sounds awkward on the radio and its hard to listen to at time.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT UNC!!!
Todd's not going anywhere, and no A.D. Is going to change that.

Hell, I like listening to Todd Ellis and Tommy Suggs.

And while I'm on the subject, I also like day games and Frank Martin and Ray Tanner, and would rather lose with teams led by people I like and respect than win under people I can't stand.

I like Todd. Fulton is a beast to come behind. I like night games , more excitement people are more into the game. I like Frank Martin I also like Donald Trump Both say things out loud I wish they would not but both are dialed in to what they are doing

I’m more than happy with Ellis and Suggs. I got one of those radio delay units specifically to listen to their broadcast.
I just got a radio.

Seriously
I can watch the games but 90% of the time I have my head set on while I'm doing yard work. I subscribe to sling during football season and with the 60 second delay,if something extra exciting happens I'll go check it out,then back outside.

Now I know many grew up listening to Fulton and that is an emotional tie to their childhood. But I never thought Fulton was that good. You could listen forever and not have a clue about the time left on the clock. Much like Phillips was at Clemson. Thought of with affection basically because they sat in the seat so long that everyone's memories are connected there. As the years go by, the younger set will feel that way about Todd as though he isn't the greatest broadcaster in the world, he is the only voice they will connect to USC football.

Now I know many grew up listening to Fulton and that is an emotional tie to their childhood. But I never thought Fulton was that good. You could listen forever and not have a clue about the time left on the clock. Much like Phillips was at Clemson. Thought of with affection basically because they sat in the seat so long that everyone's memories are connected there. As the years go by, the younger set will feel that way about Todd as though he isn't the greatest broadcaster in the world, he is the only voice they will connect to USC football.
Todd would be much better as the color guy. He has a difficult time relating what he is seeing on the field and keeping people apprised of the situation on the field.

I'm looking to buy a big-speaker radio to put in the living room. Any recommendations? I see a lot of radios advertised as AM/FM, but I'm wondering if it would be better to get one that's specifically AM or FM.

Todd would be much better as the color guy. He has a difficult time relating what he is seeing on the field and keeping people apprised of the situation on the field.
But that adds to the excitement!

With Todd you don't know what the hell is going on.

Just like when he was QB
He threw for a few million yards and threw a few million interceptions

In all honesty, I dont believe the vast majority of fans listen to the radio...at least not like they used to.

It's a different day. I'm 53 and grew up listening to Fulton...loved him. But that was also when we may have had 1 game on tv each year. The rest of the away games, the only way you had to know what was going on was to listen on the radio.

In 1980 at Georgia (the Rogers fumble game), I remember being so excited because one of our games were actually on tv. I guess that was the beginning era of cable and ESPN, etc. SOME people may have had that, but we had the old antenna and 6 channels.

As for Todd...he is bearable...does get excited, mumble words, and create imaginary yard lines. I dont listen during the games much anymore, but will occassionally. Always listen to the postgame show on the way home.

Just saying for me, the 70s and 80s drew people to the radio because you had no other option. Now, EVERY game is in tv (a good thing I guess), so radio gets a lot less usage. Kind of like the newspaper...slowly fading away.

Plus everyone has a cell phone. You dont have to wait on someone on the radio to tell you anything. Go to CBS Sports app, follow the game along with all the updated stats, as it goes.

My two cents...

Reactions: USC3307
In all honesty, I dont believe the vast majority of fans listen to the radio...at least not like they used to.

It's a different day. I'm 53 and grew up listening to Fulton...loved him. But that was also when we may have had 1 game on tv each year. The rest of the away games, the only way you had to know what was going on was to listen on the radio.

In 1980 at Georgia (the Rogers fumble game), I remember being so excited because one of our games were actually on tv. I guess that was the beginning era of cable and ESPN, etc. SOME people may have had that, but we had the old antenna and 6 channels.

As for Todd...he is bearable...does get excited, mumble words, and create imaginary yard lines. I dont listen during the games much anymore, but will occassionally. Always listen to the postgame show on the way home.

Just saying for me, the 70s and 80s drew people to the radio because you had no other option. Now, EVERY game is in tv (a good thing I guess), so radio gets a lot less usage. Kind of like the newspaper...slowly fading away.

Plus everyone has a cell phone. You dont have to wait on someone on the radio to tell you anything. Go to CBS Sports app, follow the game along with all the updated stats, as it goes.

My two cents...

Loved Bob. My absolute first choice today would be Mike Morgan calling every sport. But if we are always going to split it up, ld take Ellis over Charlie Mac any day.

No, Ellis isn’t perfect. But he’s energetic & entertaining, and he’s a true Gamecock. In Bob’s later years, he had slowed down. Those of us who listened to him for years could tell what was happening in the first seconds of a play not by what he said but by the inflection of his voice coupled with the crowd noise. It was high drama. You get a little bit of that with Todd... again, I think if we replaced Todd with a Charlie Mac- type “professional” we’d be missing Todd very quickly.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT UNC!!!
I couldn't possibly disagree with you more. Everything you said is nonsense. Nice try at propogating the annual Todd Ellis bash fest though.

Props and thanks to Todd and Tommy for being loyal Gamecocks.

Their broadcasts are terrible, especially the play by play aspect.

Todd, though well intentioned, is a rank amateur.

A borderline, serviceable SEC sideline reporter, at best.

His constipated, grunting calls are simply unbearable.

It's time for "My goodness!" and "Are you kidding me?!" to go.

Go Cocks!

Ellis puts me on the field. As a former player that loves the sport, that’s where I want to be.

I became a Gamecock fan sitting in my car in 1969 listening to Fulton calling the waning moments of our game in Blacksburg Virginia which we won by a field goal on or close to the final play. He was also the radio and television voice of our basketball games. He became family to all of us, but I was surprised at a game in the 80s sometime that I sat in the stands with a radio and headphones. While melodious and articulate, the game Fulton called bore only a slightly passing resemblance to what was actually happening on the field.

I agree with some of you. I like Todd. Sure he’s made some mistakes, but what announcer hasn’t? The “55 yard line” thing has taken a worse dead horse beating than Gregg Marshall’s non-hire. I feel like Todd talks to me, not at me. I like his excitement. I feed on it.

Now our color guy? I know he’s a Carolina guy but imo, he’s just not very good.

Todd does a fine job besides there ain't no more Bob Fultons out there. Todd and Tommy are one of us so I can handle a few mistakes because the job is much harder than y'all think. Sit in front of your TV and try it.

I appreciate Ellis and Suggs for what they do, BUT Todd tries to make every play call a homerun, game ending type of call. It could be as simple as Lattimore breaking a tackle in the backfield and making a guy miss for a 2 yard gain. And it sounds like he just ran for 30 yards and was in the open field. Oh my!

I see him as a sideline reporter or a color guy. NOT the main announcer.

Last edited:

Oh, come on, Fulton was great. I can hear him now. “It’s the Statue of Liberty play”

Reactions: FORKCOCK

GO COCKS!!! BEAT UNC!!!
Fulton painted a picture in your mind. "Gamecocks break the huddle going left to right, Shaw is under center, Wilds at tailback, Samuels in the slot.....".
You get the idea.
Enthusiasm gets in Todd's way sometimes, and he is slow telling the listeners the full story. But we have gotten use to Todd and Tommy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will4Clemson

Todd is not a professional sports broadcaster. By that I mean, he doesn't - and hasn't - spent much time honing and perfecting his craft, because his day job is his real job. Pretty much the same with Tommy. So he is what he is, which is a Gamecock alum and devoted fan, which isn't anything wrong with that. But he won't be getting much better, if any better at all.....

The radio network doesn't make a ton of money, and is more of a public service announcement more than anything.....

Reactions: rogue cock

Oh, come on, Fulton was great. I can hear him now. “It’s the Statue of Liberty play”

"It's a beauuuuuutiful day here at Williams-Brice Stadium. A lovely 72 degrees with a slight wind coming out of south. What do you see down there Todd?"

I got to say for baseball. I'm beginning to think Andy Demetra was our good luck charm

I can't find any energy to give a crap about a radio broadcast. I haven't listened to a football game on the radio in over 20 years.

Reactions: jeff2001
Bob Fulton would tell you everything about a player, including his dog's name and his shoe size, but he never told you if the runner picked up the first down or not. But, at least he wasn't a tool, like Todd Ellis.

Reactions: agantt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT