ADVERTISEMENT

Our recruiting has to improve, we have a 6'4 260 O lineman. brad scott days

I am very disappointed in the recruiting results as well. It seems like so many Gamecock fans are suddenly ok with 2 and 3 star recruits because they were "evaluated" by Muschamp. Muschamp does not have a secret system for evaluating recruits that no one else in the country knows about. We are simply not recruiting well and by that, I mean we are getting out recruited by most of our competition. Only time will tell, but common sense tells you that you cannot win many games on your schedule against teams with better players.
This is a crucial season! If we fall on our face and only win 5 or 6 games, I don't see Muschamp being here much longer. If we win 8+ games, recruiting should improve.

Fantastic post. It is sink or swim, I feel like he must win some games this year to even have a chance.

I have no problem with a guy getting an offer who has camped and performed In front of the coaches... regardless of star ratings. I personally think this class is silent, but I'd have to be honest in the fact that I'm bothered by the lack of DE's.
I think its a numbers thing. We have quite a few DEs on the roster and only 1 will be a senior. If Kinlaw and Sterling are going to be DEs we will have like 8 DEs returning for the 2018 season after Sawyer graduates. The guys we have already need to step up their game.

So you really believe that Muschamp evaluates talent better than any other coach in the country? I'm not concerned with an ESPN analyst and what he thinks about our recruits. I am concerned with recruits who do not have offers from any other quality schools. There is a reason for that. Every low-rated recruit that we sign is not going to be a diamond in the rough like some of our fans believe.

what recruits are committed that don't have offers from other programs?.Also you are still hung up on ratings...What HBC puts out a rating of recruits? The strength of every program is how well you evaluate the 3 star kids...Every recruit doesn't have to turn out to be great..You have 85 schollies plus walkons...Coaches have to be right about 65-70% of the time...We will not know how well Muschamp and his staff are recruiting until next season..Let the kids play before claiming they are not quality recruits..To judge them now based on guru rankings is just stupid

I have no problem with a guy getting an offer who has camped and performed In front of the coaches... regardless of star ratings. I personally think this class is silent, but I'd have to be honest in the fact that I'm bothered by the lack of DE's.
the pass rush situation is a legit concern...they have missed on some potentially outstanding DE's...But that's due to 7-6, 3-9, 6-7 more than anything else...The losing is a tough sell..I don't care how great you are at recruiting, you have to win to be attractive to the reputed hotshots..This staff is not losing battles for lack of effort..That was not true prior to Muschamps arrival

Lawcal cock I have a simple question for you say the last 10 years all Alabama got was 2 and 3 star players...how successful would they have been?

For the record Nick Saban has put more 3 star kids in the NFL than any other college HBC...Check the facts..Yeah he gets a few 5s and some 4s..But his program is built on evaluating and developing 3s..That's why every 3 star that commits to Saban gets bumped up to 4 by the guru's

If we are the only (or one of 1 or 2 other) power 5 offer then I am concerned. Stars are secondary to who else is offering to me.

that's a very good point...But some of the kids we were first to offer suddenly got a rash of big time D1...Tyler Shough was a 2star when Boom offered...20 offers later he committed to UNC as a 4 star..I could cite 4 other examples just this class alone..But it doesn't fit the narrative and no one wants to hear the truth about the ratings

the pass rush situation is a legit concern...they have missed on some potentially outstanding DE's...But that's due to 7-6, 3-9, 6-7 more than anything else...The losing is a tough sell..I don't care how great you are at recruiting, you have to win to be attractive to the reputed hotshots..This staff is not losing battles for lack of effort..That was not true prior to Muschamps arrival

I agree. I'm truly not worried long term about recruiting. I think we're bringing in solid classes.

Reactions: lawcalcock
I agree. I'm truly not worried long term about recruiting. I think we're bringing in solid classes.
it's way to early to suggest otherwise...all this 'sky is falling' 'woe is us' crap is way premature...Just look at the talent he added to the squad last yr...I don't understand why some fans just can let the recruits play a season before the harsh judgements..

Reactions: Gradstudent
I remember the Sadarius Hutcherson commitment, 6-5 230 lbs. lineman commits, same size concerns as some posts here, now he is 6-4 311, and competing for a starting LT spot as a red shirt freshman.

My post then and now is relax the player is still growing at this age.

Now if you have other concerns star rating and talent level, i cant help you I don't know anything about this player, OL film is kind of hard to watch sometimes, and see footwork, and you usually know nothing about the player across from them that they are pushing around, but size changes, kids grow if they have the right frame like Hutcherson.

The rivals camps when the DL vs OL go at it is actually pretty neat, because you can see more natural ability and footwork etc, and you know it's usually quality vs quality, I still hope we get Jovaughn Gwyn for that reason.

Last edited:
We can sit here and fret about anything and everything. However at this point I'm just waiting to see what happens this season. If we go out and win 8 games, we will start landing some bigger recruits. Like it or not, Muschamp has to overcome the stigma of his failure at Florida before the recruiting really takes off. 6 wins was a nice improvement, but the jury is still out with a lot of recruits. Put up some points with our offense this year and win 8 games and I really think the flood gates will open. Heck,if we put up a lot of points and win 7 games then we might see some recruiting improvement. I genuinely think Muschamp can win here, but the performance on the field this year and next is going to be critical.

<this>

I remember the Sadarius Hutcherson commitment, 6-5 230 lbs. lineman commits, same size concerns as some posts here, now he is 6-4 311, and competing for a starting LT spot as a red shirt freshman.

Now if you have other concerns star rating and talent level, i cant help you I don't know anything about this player, OL film is kind of hard to watch sometimes, and see footwork, and you usually know nothing about the player across from them that they are pushing around, but size changes, kids grow if they have the right frame like Hutcherson.

The rivals camps when the DL vs OL go at it is actually pretty neat, because you can see more natural ability and footwork etc, and you know it's usually quality vs quality, I still hope we get Jovaughn Gwyn for that reason.

81lbs in 2 years? that doesn't sound healthy for the body or entirely clean

81lbs in 2 years? that doesn't sound healthy for the body or entirely clean

When he committed on 12/15/2015 the recruiting sites stated he was 230 lbs., and our message board posters went with it and it was a big deal and the sky was falling and Brad Scott was brought up, etc, he was over 250 lbs. at the time of his commitment and when he enrolled at USC 273 lbs. and has gained 40 lbs. since being on campus with a strength staff and filling out.

i actually thing muschamp is doing about par for the course... he is a talented recruiter and so is trob whether u guys wanna admit it or not

just look at that tyler shough qb character from az... first offer from usc then took off like a jailbreaker before landing at unc. therea been other cases like that too (nasirildeen etc)

yall really should relax... dont particularly like muschamp as a coach but saying hes a bad recruiter is quite the stretch

For the ones so engulfed in the belief of the **** rating system do this. Watch the highlight tape of 3* players and the 4* players and the 5* players and if see if you could tell which is which without knowing. You'd see all of the DB breaking up passes and all the RB looking like H. Walker. Recruiting is about down the road just as much as it is about immediate help. There are just as many 3* recruits now All-Americans in college as 5* high school players. Sure, we want all the premier names we can get but a real coaching staff can transform a players weakness into a plus if he can run and listen.

i actually thing muschamp is doing about par for the course... he is a talented recruiter and so is trob whether u guys wanna admit it or not

just look at that tyler shough qb character from az... first offer from usc then took off like a jailbreaker before landing at unc. therea been other cases like that too (nasirildeen etc)

yall really should relax... dont particularly like muschamp as a coach but saying hes a bad recruiter is quite the stretch
Huh?

We are currently mid-level ACC but if the pieces fall right we could be up to Mid level Big 10 or maybe even elite level Big 12. I'm not worried. If Boom has shown us anything in his previous stops it is that he can do great things with minimal talent. He is a proven developer. All we need to do is get him the clay and let him mold us some 1st round picks.

What school has Muschamp coached at that had minimal talent? He has coached at Texas, Florida, and Auburn for the last decade or so. I am going to go out on a limb and say this is his first time coaching minimal talent!

Reactions: ddw1263
What school has Muschamp coached at that had minimal talent? He has coached at Texas, Florida, and Auburn for the last decade or so. I am going to go out on a limb and say this is his first time coaching minimal talent!
Is minimal the right word or is young better? We have some pretty good players.

Is minimal the right word or is young better? We have some pretty good players.

I would say young and probably less talented than what he has had to work with in the past. He has never lacked for talent and depth before. I think the lack of depth is probably the biggest concern for this upcoming season. Even if we get some good play out of our front 7 the lack of depth is going to start eating away at us late in the season. Especially at Linebacker.

So you really believe that Muschamp evaluates talent better than any other coach in the country?

Save your breath, my friend, save your breath. Seriously, your most valuable tool will be the "ignore button". Learn to use it.

This is not a forum for logical opinions and open discussion. You'll see.

The paid board is worse.

I looked at the commitment list and what struck me is that only ONE commit to USC had an offer from Clemson (Joyner).
I haven't looked at Clemson's list to see who offered, but I am taking a wild guess that USC offered quite a few.

Yes. He's a failure as head coach to this point. Wins are the measure. Division and conference titles are he measure. I don't see that as debatable. I'm hopeful he has the potential to be better. But right now it's just potential and hopefulness.
Agree with you Nova. His path here will follow the same one he had at UF. The sad part is that in four years most of those people who support him now will be screaming for his firing. It will be five squandered years.

I looked at the commitment list and what struck me is that only ONE commit to USC had an offer from Clemson (Joyner).
I haven't looked at Clemson's list to see who offered, but I am taking a wild guess that USC offered quite a few.

They did not offer him at QB, but at DB I believe.

Actually, go back the last how many years. I can think of only a handful of players that Varolina signed that Clemson wanted. Will Register, Bailey, Ortre after their other target fell through. Not many, not like it used to be

Last edited:
you are so confused on these issues...it's not about star ratings..the strength of any recruiting class is how well you evaluate...it's obvious to anyone with an IQ above 85 that Spurrier and his staff had some seriously bad evaluations the last 3 classes of his tenure...You ignore that irrefutable fact while trying to judge Muschamp's classes before they ever become sophomores..We'll know how well the current staff is recruiting soon enough..Right now none of know jack...Let's watch the games this fall and see how well our freshmen and sophomores perform...

I am not sure that Spurriers staff was bad at evaluation as much as they were bad at recruiting. They were so behind that they were bringing in kids that other programs would not touch. At the end a lot of kids with grade issue that were a 50-50 to get into school. Lots of jucos that did not pan out because of a lot of the same issues that made them jucosto begin with.

It was just picking up the pieces of bad recruit to begin with

Since the days of Lattimore,clowney, swearinger.ingram.shaw and others have left we have not been recruiting that level of player anymore that's how you are successful in sec

So Hutcherson shrunk an inch? Fire everyone!!

Reactions: Gradstudent
Since the days of Lattimore,clowney, swearinger.ingram.shaw and others have left we have not been recruiting that level of player anymore that's how you are successful in sec

You are right......we are not recruiting those types right now. To recruit those types it takes years to build relationships. Were in on those kids when they were HS fresh. and soph. I get that everyone wants the program back on top yesterday..but it does not work like that for any program....none. Look at some of the traditional powers that fall....it take time for them too. If you want to pissed off at someone...the ones that deserve your ire is the previous staff. We will get back and it will come within the next few years..but until then we have to beat the bushes..find players that have potential and work to shine them up.

It's real simple. We have to develop the talent that we get, win more than we lose and sell recruits that we are building something here. Muschamp and staff can put in the work but if the kid has a better option then we will lose out unless he wants early playing time or just loves us. Muschamp is known as being a great recruiter when he was representing Florida, Texas, Auburn, etc. Those are power football schools. We ain't that. It takes time.

Yep, best thing we can do at this point is get out there and make Williams Brice an extremely loud and hostile environment for our opponents. Also, we need to show up big time in Charlotte. You guys may laugh, but some of the biggest games we play this year are going to be NC State, Kentucky and Arkansas at home. Those are games that could go either way. Win those games and knock off one of A&M, UGA, UT, Florida or Clemson and we have an 8 win season.

Actually, just beat Clemson. Please.

Lawcal cock I have a simple question for you say the last 10 years all Alabama got was 2 and 3 star players...how successful would they have been?

We are not Bama. Not even close. Gonna have to rely on evaluations

Recruiting is the life of your program and he is taking a lot of maybe's and jucos, Dabo took only 12 his first year and focused on the next making in roads and building relationships. I don't want to be Mississippi st.....his staff was acknowledge as great recruiters. But haven't shown that here.

Last edited:
When we offered Deebo East Carolina was his only major offer. After he committed to us he jumped to a 3*. After the Shrine Bowl he got several offers. If he would have hit the camps and combine's. He probably would have been a 4*. Don't put all your stock in Stars. Looking at last year's True Freshmen, I think BOOM is a pretty darn good at finding talent.

Reactions: BigTomE
When we offered Deebo East Carolina was his only major offer. After he committed to us he jumped to a 3*. After the Shrine Bowl he got several offers. If he would have hit the camps and combine's. He probably would have been a 4*. Don't put all your stock in Stars. Looking at last year's True Freshmen, I think BOOM is a pretty darn good at finding talent.

Deebo was a spurrier recruit and he wound up with a number good offers including Klempsun.

Ecu was his only other offer per another site.

You need to find another recruiting site because this so incorrect.

That was 247. Rivals doesn't show the ecu offer. Sigh.

Again...find another recruiting website or learn how to read the one you mentioned.

247 has him with offers from not only East Carolina but also Boston College, Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, Howard, James Madison, Kansas, Liberty, North Carolina State, Old Dominion, Princeton, Syracuse, Toledo, Virginia, Wake Forest and Yale.

Deebo was a spurrier recruit and he wound up with a number good offers including Klempsun.
Duh, Spurrier JR offered him. He never got a offer from the taters. UNC,NCST and Vandy offered after the Shrine Bowl.The point is he was a 2* when he was offered. Don't put all your stock in Stars. Like I said, "look at Boom' s true freshman from last year". He knows what he is doing.

Reactions: BigTomE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT