ADVERTISEMENT

Paris doesn’t use his time outs

Am I disappointed to lose the game? Sure. Am I going to blame this on Coach Paris? No.

Folks were 7-1 and were within a hair of 8-0. That’s pretty solid progress compared to what this team has done over the last several seasons.

Sucks to lose to the taters but they’re pretty good. Shot selection when we had a solid lead in the second half was poor. The missed box out on the free throw that turned into a 3 pointer late was a back breaker.

Am I disappointed to lose the game? Sure. Am I going to blame this on Coach Paris? No.

Folks were 7-1 and were within a hair of 8-0. That’s pretty solid progress compared to what this team has done over the last several seasons.

Sucks to lose to the taters but they’re pretty good. Shot selection when we had a solid lead in the second half was poor. The missed box out on the free throw that turned into a 3 pointer late was a back breaker.
Losing to the taters cancels out the 7-0 hype IMHO.

Reactions: cockofdawn
This loss is on Lamont
Um no. When 3 of the guys (Mack, Stute, and Wright) that you depend on for scoring along with Meechie go a combined 4-26, that is a big contributor to a loss. Yes, we gave up a couple key rebounds late, but we had more offensive rebounds (10-9) than Clemson and only lost the rebounding battle by 4. We just went stone cold after going up 11 in the second half and couldn’t get the momentum back. I think what stings is that the team teased us by showing what they could be in the first half. If you were a Gamecock fan like me, you went into this game with no expectations. Yes, we had a nice little start to the season with a good neutral site victory against Va.Tech, but could we really go in. and compete against an experienced squad that just got into the Top 25. Our guys answered that with an emphatic yes even though they struggled to shoot the ball. They made you believe they could win and that’s when a loss stings. If they would have went up there and got smoked by 20, you could say same old Carolina basketball and keep it moving. …and yes, Murray-Boyles needs to play. A Basketball season is not like a football season. It’s not all about the Clemson game. It’s about building a team and peaking in February and March. We beat Clemson last year. Did you really care by February when we’re like 2-10 in the SEC?

This was a classic- you lose at their place, you win at your place.

I didn't watch the game but saw some reports from national and regional writers that were impressed with our game last night on the road in a hostile place.

Clemson is a solid basketball team. They aren't great. But writers say they are solid and we played our first true road game and probably should have won.

No doubt Clemson loses last night in Columbia.

They need to take this and get better. This team has a real shot at 18-19 wins.

Reactions: Cybercock
This was a classic- you lose at their place, you win at your place.

I didn't watch the game but saw some reports from national and regional writers that were impressed with our game last night on the road in a hostile place.

Clemson is a solid basketball team. They aren't great. But writers say they are solid and we played our first true road game and probably should have won.

No doubt Clemson loses last night in Columbia.

They need to take this and get better. This team has a real shot at 18-19 wins.
on top of this, CMB had only played for 4 minutes of college ball before this game. It will be fun to see this season play out.

Brownell (who I really like) was very complimentary. Said both teams played very hard. Said the game wasn't too pretty at times.

Said he thought we were a "really good team," said he thought we were going to have a "great yar too." Said he thought "Lamont does a really good job."

later said when talking about preparing his team for us - "they are a good defensive team. It's hard to score."

Clemson is a sold team. Losing at their place in a close game is not a bad omen.

This team just went on the road and played a good team a very close game.

Losing to the taters cancels out the 7-0 hype IMHO.
You’re free to let that ruin your season but it doesn’t have to. Did you cry about losing to Clemson in 2017 when we made the final 4? Did that ruin your season?

I’m not saying we’re going that far but in basketball there is plenty of season left

Um no. When 3 of the guys (Mack, Stute, and Wright) that you depend on for scoring along with Meechie go a combined 4-26, that is a big contributor to a loss. Yes, we gave up a couple key rebounds late, but we had more offensive rebounds (10-9) than Clemson and only lost the rebounding battle by 4. We just went stone cold after going up 11 in the second half and couldn’t get the momentum back. I think what stings is that the team teased us by showing what they could be in the first half. If you were a Gamecock fan like me, you went into this game with no expectations. Yes, we had a nice little start to the season with a good neutral site victory against Va.Tech, but could we really go in. and compete against an experienced squad that just got into the Top 25. Our guys answered that with an emphatic yes even though they struggled to shoot the ball. They made you believe they could win and that’s when a loss stings. If they would have went up there and got smoked by 20, you could say same old Carolina basketball and keep it moving. …and yes, Murray-Boyles needs to play. A Basketball season is not like a football season. It’s not all about the Clemson game. It’s about building a team and peaking in February and March. We beat Clemson last year. Did you really care by February when we’re like 2-10 in the SEC?
Have to come here and admit to you that I was not a fan of the Lamont Paris hire as you are aware, but that I have to admit that so far he has done an admirable job with this group.

Despite the lack of contributions from several that need to be for us to win, we showed some toughness. We had some poor shot selection when we went up 11. Hopefully the lessons learned in this game will pay dividends down the road in a similar situation.

I can see us being competitive in the SEC and pushing for a NCAA tournament bid if we can continue to improve. Winning almost all of your non conference games gives you a fighting chance to do that. Coming off the dumpster fire of last season, not sure anyone could have anticipated that.

CBS has our RPI at #9 and Clemsux at #2

on top of this, CMB had only played for 4 minutes of college ball before this game. It will be fun to see this season play out.
Clemson nailed several clutch threes down the stretch ….we didn’t. That’s the difference in the ball game. Don’t know why Lamont kept trying to go inside against a much taller team… resulting in numerous turnovers.

Clemson nailed several clutch threes down the stretch ….we didn’t. That’s the difference in the ball game. Don’t know why Lamont kept trying to go inside against a much taller team… resulting in numerous turnovers.
mQky50.gif

Reactions: cockofdawn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT