ADVERTISEMENT

Pass the time question.

My top overrated players in my opinion would go to Carmelo Anthony (NBA), Bubba Watson & Phil Mickelson (PGA), Tony Romo (NFL), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Nascar)...just feel like these guys have not done much based on the amount of attention/press/love they get. Mickelson has accomplished the most of the bunch

Ripken was a pretty steady guy...I dont think of him ever being portrayed as a world-beater by anyone (other than the Iron Man thing which was pretty impressive). He has the 25th highest total WAR stat in MLB history (if you believe that stat

Career Avg - .276
Career Hits - 3,184 (15th all time)
Career Runs - 1,647 (36th all time)
Career HR - 431 (48th all time)
Career RBI - 1,695 (27th all time)

Also has pretty high ranks in the all time catagories for Doubles (15th), Total Bases (16th), Sac Flys (2nd), Defensive Assist (2nd)

A lot of his feats were due to playing a long time but if you look at his year to year breakdowns he really was a very solid player his whole career, even towards the end.
Batted over .300 3 seasons. Just playing devil's advocate. You can probably find worse numbers in the Hall than his definitely.

My top overrated players in my opinion would go to Carmelo Anthony (NBA), Bubba Watson & Phil Mickelson (PGA), Tony Romo (NFL), Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Nascar)...just feel like these guys have not done much based on the amount of attention/press/love they get. Mickelson has accomplished the most of the bunch
Agree with Little E.

Batted over .300 3 seasons. Just playing devil's advocate. You can probably find worse numbers in the Hall than his definitely.
Yeah I mean of the big names of baseball his numbers are overall maybe a little less eye popping. I was surprised a little honestly at how high he actually did rank in some of the all time categories. He also has the dubious honor of hitting into the most double plays in MLB history (Pujols is one away from tying him)...
Funny, if you look at the list for most career DP's grounded into it's a pretty impressive list of guys: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/GIDP_career.shtml

No, it was against the Lakers.
I dunno man....was a pretty cool play in my book. Maybe a touch overrated in the big picture...I think the "free throw line" dunk is actually more overrated than this particular move. There is one photo of it that makes it look amazing but watching it one film isnt as impressive...of course, when you actually stand at the free throw line on a basketball court it becomes pretty damn impressive again, LOL

QvtH9kA.jpg

I dunno man....was a pretty cool play in my book. Maybe a touch overrated in the big picture...I think the "free throw line" dunk is actually more overrated than this particular move. There is one photo of it that makes it look amazing but watching it one film isnt as impressive...of course, when you actually stand at the free throw line on a basketball court it becomes pretty damn impressive again, LOL

QvtH9kA.jpg
I thought it was pretty good. I've always thought he made the play because Sam Perkins make a little fake like he was going up to defend the shot. Either way, I think we should consider CONTEXT on many of these plays before deeming them "over-rated."
Was Laettner hitting an 18-foot turnaround special? No, but in the context of a 'last second shot to advance to the NCAA Finals, it was special. As for the Jordan Hand Switch, no, by itself it isn't special. In the context of a clearly great player who FINALLY made it to the NBA Finals displaying his virtuosity in leading his team to the championship, it was clearly special. There's a reason some of these highlighted moments stay with us.

Yeah I mean of the big names of baseball his numbers are overall maybe a little less eye popping. I was surprised a little honestly at how high he actually did rank in some of the all time categories. He also has the dubious honor of hitting into the most double plays in MLB history (Pujols is one away from tying him)...
Funny, if you look at the list for most career DP's grounded into it's a pretty impressive list of guys: http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/GIDP_career.shtml
Kinda like Favre's interception record. A qb would have to throw two picks a game for twenty seasons and then some more lol. But you throw that many passes for that many years, you're gonna throw picks-in his defense.

I did a Google search on who "the world" thought the most overrated athlete was and it seems pretty heavily tilted in Joe Namath's favor.
He was before my time so I can't say. All I know is he had the prediction win against the much better on paper Colts team in the SB and that he's a goofy drunkard.

I stand corrected. Was thinking of when he raised his shoulders to Cliff Robinson after hitting a 3 pointer and scoring like 40 against the Trailblazers in the first half.
Yes, that was maybe the defining image of the Bulls v Blazers series. Was he shrugging at Cliff Robinson, though? I always thought it was directed to either A. the announcers/press, B. his bench/coaches, or C. just himself. Either way, 20 year-old me remembers Jordan hitting about 6 3's in the first half (3's weren't a huge part of Jordan's game back then) and just enjoying the moment.

Bubba hasn't played well in really over a year and a half.

Yes, that was maybe the defining image of the Bulls v Blazers series. Was he shrugging at Cliff Robinson, though? I always thought it was directed to either A. the announcers/press, B. his bench/coaches, or C. just himself. Either way, 20 year-old me remembers Jordan hitting about 6 3's in the first half (3's weren't a huge part of Jordan's game back then) and just enjoying the moment.
Yeah, he was just making everything he put up in that game. It was in Cliff's vicinity-probably a more general shrug and not directed at him.

Last edited:
My thoughts regarding MJ: amazing basketball player and arrogant a-hole as a person.

Willy Mays catch. Not that he wasn't a great player or that it wasn't a great catch, but I see more spectacular catches every year, some by players you hear little of or who never make it to the show.

I thought it was pretty good. I've always thought he made the play because Sam Perkins make a little fake like he was going up to defend the shot. Either way, I think we should consider CONTEXT on many of these plays before deeming them "over-rated."
Was Laettner hitting an 18-foot turnaround special? No, but in the context of a 'last second shot to advance to the NCAA Finals, it was special. As for the Jordan Hand Switch, no, by itself it isn't special. In the context of a clearly great player who FINALLY made it to the NBA Finals displaying his virtuosity in leading his team to the championship, it was clearly special. There's a reason some of these highlighted moments stay with us.
Jordan's shot came in the closing minutes of a game where they were up by 20 points. He was hot dogging just like when he shot the free throw with his eyes closed. He would have never done either if his team wasn't comfortably leading. They border on unsportsmanlike.

Most overrated player: In my book it's Chipper Jones. Has great career numbers but wasn't great clutch player.

Most overrated play? Lord, these days you could pick about half the ESPN Top 10 on any given sportscenter and put it automatically in the running. Our era of hype ...

I'm going with Bo Jackson on any video game-Tecmo Bowl, Bill Walsh College Football '93, etc. I remember playing Bill Walsh '93 on my Sega Genesis in college and I had the '85 Auburn Tigers (Bo's team) and my buddy playing against me had them too. By the end of the game, we each had over 1,000 yards rushing with #34. Completely unstoppable. He was good in real life but not so good that he could never be tackled.

Willie Mays' over-the-head basket catch. It was a great play, for sure, but no greater than a 1000 other great outfield catches over the course of a MLB season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT