ADVERTISEMENT

Past time to go back to the ACC

scgamecockfan007

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2006
One division title in just under 3 decades. League refs that screw us every chance they get. Sure the "SEC money" is great but what is getting us, more embarrassment and frustration? Yes fire the football coaching staff and A.D. , but beyond that, I think this is needed too.

Reactions: clemsonu0219
And what makes you think the ACC would want us in the ACC ?

The ACC already has a presence in the state, and admit it or not USC fans do watch whenever Clemson in on TV, so nothing we can add there. In addition we are not relevant in the Virginias or further north.

If it could be tied with ND, then I think the ACC would be very eager.

(I don't favor this, just to be clear. But SC & ND? That would be a big win for the ACC, IMO.)
Who is going to tie these two together ?
ND love them or hate them has a panache that no one else in college football has. Anyone who has their own network is not going to tie themselves to join a conference.

Reactions: Brace1
Who is going to tie these two together ?
ND love them or hate them has a panache that no one else in college football has. Anyone who has their own network is not going to tie themselves to join a conference.
ND will eventually join a conference. They need to play in a conference, compete for a conference championship, etc., due to the CFP. JMO, obviously, and that would change if/when the CFP goes to 8 teams.

If ND chooses to join a FB conference, the ACC is in a good position to recruit them, since ND already plays 5 games a season against the ACC. There would have to be some concessions to allow them to maintain most of their national rivalry games, perhaps also allowing them to keep their relationship with NBC (or at least an independent TV contract), etc.

If (huge IF's, I know) all of that happens, SC may want to consider jumping.

One division title in just under 3 decades. League refs that screw us every chance they get. Sure the "SEC money" is great but what is getting us, more embarrassment and frustration? Yes fire the football coaching staff and A.D. , but beyond that, I think this is needed too.
No$$$...sorry, No!!!

The ACC is our natural home, but the same reasons listed by the OP are the same reasons we left the ACC in 1971. That ship has sailed.

The door won't be open for any team until and unless Notre Dame gets in there with both feet. Then they would need to take another school to even up the divisions, provided they are still using the divisional system when that time comes. That time is not at hand.

ND will eventually join a conference. They need to play in a conference, compete for a conference championship, etc., due to the CFP. JMO, obviously, and that would change if/when the CFP goes to 8 teams.

If ND chooses to join a FB conference, the ACC is in a good position to recruit them, since ND already plays 5 games a season against the ACC. There would have to be some concessions to allow them to maintain most of their national rivalry games, perhaps also allowing them to keep their relationship with NBC (or at least an independent TV contract), etc.

If (huge IF's, I know) all of that happens, SC may want to consider jumping.
Let me clarity my original post . I did not mean to insinuate that ND would not ever join a conference, but would not ask or need another team to be part of the deal.

As crappy as we've played, we still finished middle of the pack in the SEC East. Kinda feel like the East has been up for grabs the last decade or so but we keep stumbling all over ourselves. I fail to see how joining the ACC would change that.
Besides, more than one sport is important to me and I'm perfectly happy where we are in those.

Reactions: TheVolGuy85
If we join another conference then we lose the lure of being an SEC team which has helped us tremendously in recruiting! I guarantee you our recruiting ratings will go down, like it on not we are not Clemson and we are not in a recruiting hotbed like Miami! If anyone thinks we’ll be recruiting on the same level their fooling themselves.

And besides, I live in Tennessee, on the NC border...no one talks ACC here...the only schools in the ACC here in our area that get mentioned are the 2 obvious ones: Clemson & Va Tech.

Most fans in our area are UT, UK, Bama, & UF with us and UGA falling behind those schools...I travel to Nashville, Louisville, Austin, Atlanta, and Tampa occasionally for biz and vacations. I don't hear folks talking about the ACC in those areas....

Thank GOD we are in the ACC...Unless you are Clemson, you would not get a lot of press....

The folks that want to go back to the ACC maybe should jump on the Wake, Louisville, or FSU bandwagon....lol

They wouldn't have us. We have a better chance of joining the conference with App. State and Ga. Southern. This program is not and maybe never was serious.

They wouldn't have us. We have a better chance of joining the conference with App. State and Ga. Southern. This program is not and maybe never was serious.
Are you serious???????? They would take us in a New York minute if we we're available...I've seen on other sites from schools in the ACC that they made a mistake when the SEC started expanding...Look at what the ACC ended up with by snoozing and allowing that creepy commissioner from UNC to run the conference. They ended up with Louisville, Boston College, Syracuse....wow just wow....The ACC was late to the dance...

The SEC got us, Arky, A&M, Mizzou...compare that to what the ACC added...BIG LOSS FOR THE ACC....

IF we could add two more to our conference, it would be
1) NC State
2) Va Tech...
Adding these two would absolutely crush the ACC...

Move Missouri to the west

You Have Got 2B Frikkin' Kiddin'!!!

If you honestly believe it would be better for us to even CONSIDER to even TRY to go/get back in the acc!!!

I honestly believe that mayhap you're just enjoying a lil' humor w/ that post!! Hence, this is You...

Troll+Face.jpg

Last edited:
Bullish:(). It’s past time to hire a competent AD and coach. Some of you have a losers mentality. This is what happens when you have a dysfunctional board, an incompetent AD, and perhaps the worst head coach in power 5.
I have thought this for the past few months, but now I have just resigned myself to the fact that nothing is going to happen, no changes will be made, and there is nothing we can do. If Muschamp isn't fired after last's performance, he isn't getting fired.

Are you serious???????? They would take us in a New York minute if we we're available...I've seen on other sites from schools in the ACC that they made a mistake when the SEC started expanding...Look at what the ACC ended up with by snoozing and allowing that creepy commissioner from UNC to run the conference. They ended up with Louisville, Boston College, Syracuse....wow just wow....The ACC was late to the dance...

The SEC got us, Arky, A&M, Mizzou...compare that to what the ACC added...BIG LOSS FOR THE ACC....

IF we could add two more to our conference, it would be
1) NC State
2) Va Tech...
Adding these two would absolutely crush the ACC...

Move Missouri to the west
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. We don't add any value to expansion of TV sets even in our own state with Clemson already a presence.
I could see a school like Cincinnati looking more lucrative for reasons as a footprint into the Ohio landscape in regards to TV exposure in both football and basketball. And before anyone goes ballistic about what I just proposed keep in mind if expansion ever occurs again, the bottom line will be about extra exposure.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawcalcock
No way.
Hey I wish we were better but I would not trade the SEC for the acc.
Besides we would just get royally screwed in basketball just like the ol days

I think it would be dumb to go back to the ACC, but can someone explain to me what the benefit of all this SEC money does? What are the ACC schools missing out on?

Reactions: Proudcock
And one ACC championship in just under 3 decades. Why are they all of a sudden to appear now?

Actually, it was just 18 years in the ACC (1953-1971). Granted, many of those rivalries dated back to our Southern Conference affiliation prior to '53.

By comparison, we have been in the SEC now for just under three decades (1991-2019), so just over a 50% longer affiliation with the SEC.

But your overall point, vis a vis USC's lack of success in the ACC, is irrefutable. Still, interesting to compare winning percentages in each conference:

ACC: 123-118-6 (.510)**

SEC: 115-184-5 (.385)

**Carolina was below .500 while a member of the ACC, but has fared marginally better since 1971 against (non-Clemson) ACC members, as a Major Independent, and member of the SEC

Let me clarity my original post . I did not mean to insinuate that ND would not ever join a conference, but would not ask or need another team to be part of the deal.
Let me also clarify my post.

I wasn't suggesting ND would need another team. I was suggesting the ACC would want another team to keep their membership at even numbers, adding one to each division.

Also, to say again, I am not in favor of SC joining the ACC; I was responding to the notion that the ACC would oppose us joining. I don't believe they would.

But, all of this is just reckless speculation.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
Dude we're about to be 0-5 in our last 5 against the ACC hahaha. If we're going to suck, I'll take the SEC $$$ at least.

Personally, think it's a terrible idea. The money alone is reason enough to stay in the SEC. I never quite understood this to be honest. Other than the past few years, we have played the ACC pretty well historically. Also, we are very competitive in all of the other major sports in the SEC. Would we make a bowl game every year in the ACC? Probably. We wouldn't be nearly as banged up all the time (although injuries seem to follow Muschamp everywhere). I just don't think there is any benefit there to be honest.

Reactions: Proudcock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT