ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Dozier

viennacocks

Dec 19, 2011
I have heard some draft experts and seen some mock drafts that have PJ in the late 2nd round and some have him not getting drafted (based on the combine).

I am pulling for him but I think he made a poor decision signing with an agent. Do you think he would take a do over if he goes mid to late 2nd round or is not drafted?

I don't follow the NBA closely, so I don't pretend to be an expert. I questioned whether he should come out a couple of months ago, and people who claim to know what they're talking about insisted he was first-round material based on his skill set and potential. I remain skeptical, but we'll see next month.

He will be overseas playing if that happens
Watched a little of combine and one of the announcers said something about his length and defensive skills, other guy said, "he shot 30% from floor and 60% from ft line, you don't play in crunch time in NBA with those stats."

If he developed any kind of a shot to go along with what he already brings to table he could have been drafted high and made some real life changing money. Hope he didn't screw pooch but have bad feeling he is leaving lot of money on table.

He didn't want to return to school.

I hate to admit it but this HAS to be it. I don't understand why a player in his position wouldn't at least wait until the deadline before hiring an agent. What the "so-called" experts, friends, family, etc. are telling you in April may not end up being what the bottom-line is in May. For him to throw away what is a pretty good safety blanket put in place by the NCAA for players and jump right into the draft without any "official" feedback is either reckless or shows just how little he wanted to be student athlete.

The best of luck to him but it's a longer shot than his agent lead him to believe. The NBA will look at the big picture concerning his career at Carolina not just a good tourney.

The best of luck to him but it's a longer shot than his agent lead him to believe. The NBA will look at the big picture concerning his career at Carolina not just a good tourney.
Agree but his father and uncle have been around the block and they are not hurting for money. There is zero risk in not hiring an agent and a $5-$10M risk in hiring an agent. Not a very smart decision even if he didn't really want to return to school.

There are still mocks that have him late first round.

It's pretty rare that a junior or senior works their way from fringe late first or second to lottery pick. Especially when you have a draft as deep as the 2018 draft figures to be. Sure, it could happen, but PJ's draft stock might never be higher than it is now.

Staying would have been good for us, but when someone asks you to do something for free, when someone else is going to pay you to do that same thing...

Reactions: IrmoRed and DC-99

It's pretty rare that a junior or senior works their way from fringe late first or second to lottery pick. Especially when you have a draft as deep as the 2018 draft figures to be. Sure, it could happen, but PJ's draft stock might never be higher than it is now.

Staying would have been good for us, but when someone asks you to do something for free, when someone else is going to pay you to do that same thing...
Please post a mock draft since the combine started that has him in the first round. I can't find one.

If he ends up faring poorly in the draft, he will simply join the vast, vast majority of USC athletes across the sporting spectrum who ill-advisedly turn pro early. He seems like a really good kid - I hope those latest projections/predictions are off!
How many recent players can you name? Tori Gurley. Kelsey Quarles.

He was never ready. Can't make two free throws in a row and has a pitiful high arching three ball. Good around the basket but those NBA guys will eat him alive in the lane. Too bad. Where was Perry and Uncle Terry? Guess they were all listening to the agent. Hello, Europe (most likely).

Last edited:
If he ends up faring poorly in the draft, he will simply join the vast, vast majority of USC athletes across the sporting spectrum who ill-advisedly turn pro early. He seems like a really good kid - I hope those latest projections/predictions are off!
My thoughts exactly.

Can't imagine a scenario where he DIDN'T improve his draft stock with another year. Completely incomplete player who needed to improve to be first round talent. No reason to think he couldn't have done that.

Reactions: viennacocks
Looks like he's still projected in first round to me. Wish him well and quit pretending you guys are talent scouts. My God leave the kid alone.

Same people were hating on Kaela Davis too and she's lighting it up. Had 20 ptsd other night

I would love for them to go to major market teams.
I hope they both go to Boston.
That was my team the last time I was actually watching in the early 80s. I still check scores, and hope for Laker losses and Celtic wins.

PJ Dozier, South Carolina

First Day: 19 minutes, 6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal

Second Day: 30 minutes, 15 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, 1 block, 7-for-12 field goals

It was a bit of a sluggish start for the guard who left early after helping the Gamecocks to the Final Four. But Dozier slowly found his rhythm and had a strong second day while also looking solid in athletic testing.

Dozier had one of the biggest highlights of the combine when he finished a ridiculous alley-oop that displayed the athleticism that could get him selected. Finishing in the top ten max vertical leap (39 inches), no-step vertical (34 inches) and 3/4 court sprint (3.15 seconds), Dozier showed positive signs of being a versatile guard who might be able to play and defend multiple spots on the floor.

Perimeter shooting in workouts could be the key for Dozier, but he has intriguing playmaking elements about his game that are tough to teach along with good size (6'6.75" and length (6'11" wingspan) for a potential playmaking guard.

Looks like he's still projected in first round to me. Wish him well and quit pretending you guys are talent scouts. My God leave the kid alone.

Same people were hating on Kaela Davis too and she's lighting it up. Had 20 ptsd other night
Most have him mid to late 2nd round. We are leaving it to the experts and you are not one of them. Hopefully these experts are wrong.

You found one. Wasn't as easy as you thought.

Stop embarrassing yourself. There are literally only two sites worth looking at for draft mocks and analysis. NBADraft.net is one and DraftExpress.com is the other. One has him at 28, the other at 47. Which means there are some teams that like him as a legit NBA prospect and some teams that don't.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Both will be drafted, The people making the decisions don't write articles and do mock drafts, pj had back problems mid year that bothered his shot.......Shot pretty damn good in the tournament.
I agree staying would of helped, unless he got injured.
Make no mistake him and sin will be drafted. Only takes one team to like you.

Stop embarrassing yourself. There are literally only two sites worth looking at for draft mocks and analysis. NBADraft.net is one and DraftExpress.com is the other. One has him at 28, the other at 47. Which means there are some teams that like him as a legit NBA prospect and some teams that don't.
Only two that you find worthy of looking at. There are plenty out there like the NFL mock draft. None are much more reliable than the other. Heath Cline spoke earlier this week about him projected as a late 2nd rounder in most mock drafts. Please call him on Monday and inform him that he's embarrassing himself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT