Poll: Simple Yes or No that USC plays college football in 2020 in SC

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001

People who don't use the polling feature on questions that are perfect for a Poll really irritate me.

I am shocked that so many believe there won't be football. I get that the stands may be mostly empty and it may be a truncated season, but there is too much TV money on the table not to play.

People who don't use the polling feature on questions that are perfect for a Poll really irritate me.

People who use incorrect capitalizations irritate me. Shitty polls don't do much for me, either.

I hope not. How can anyone even think it is OK to continue to allow people to gather in large or semi-large gatherings? It does not require a deep analysis to conclude wearing a mask helps with slowing down the spread of Covid-19. Staying away from each other is an even bigger player.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
I am shocked that so many believe there won't be football. I get that the stands may be mostly empty and it may be a truncated season, but there is too much TV money on the table not to play.
What is even more troubling are people who are so obsessed with football that they think it is important in the grand scheme of things.

forgive me for irritating you,I didn't know a poll was available. I'm sure 100% of the people on here can spell Yes or No

Last edited:
What are you hearing from Texas? I think Texas is #1 in the nation in football revenue. 163.9 million a year or something close to that.

I’m shocked that people actually believe we should have football when we shut down all sports when we had 0 cases Come on. Does that make any sense???

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
When you call someone a snowflake because your feelings are hurt that they point a mistake and disagree with you, you become the effing embodiment of snowflake
thank you for the lesson, did you google those terms? You do not know my feelings so how can you say mine were hurt? I removed the term snowflake.:D

Not having a season hurts taters much more than us so I’m fine with no season for a couple of years. Maybe clemson will be gone by the time this all ends. Hell maybe we’ll ALL be gone by the time this all ends. Looks like the millennials may have finished off the human race.

Reactions: 92Pony
I’m shocked that people actually believe we should have football when we shut down all sports when we had 0 cases Come on. Does that make any sense???

It didn't make sense and that has been brought home to people. Fool me once, etc. I think most people feel we have done our penance and are not shutting down completely again. Also football is big money. Baseball, tennis, and even basketball is not that much to a school like SEC. I presume SC football is the only money making sport, right? Shutting down baseball and shutting down football have drastically different financial repurcussions.

Reactions: Ldgator
What are you hearing from Texas? I think Texas is #1 in the nation in football revenue. 163.9 million a year or something close to that.

I did the poll here in part after seeing the poll there. About 60% there thought there would be football of some kind and only 20% thought no football, with another 20% undecided. That was a while back about 2 weeks, I don't know if it would be the same today. No one thinks it will be business as usual, but some kind of shorter season (dropping some unprofitable and nonconference games) perhaps played in some sort of near empty stadium. Various ideas from completely empty to 10% to 25% to 50% full with masks and social distancing. The key is to get or rather save that TV revenue. If you don't get SEC TV money, where are Muschamp's millions go to come from? Think a bit like th AD who is advising your President.

Also, Texas has already announced it will have in-person classes up until Thanksgiving, with virtual between then and Christmas. Frankly, the bigger threat to the season isn't COVID in Texas, it will be protests by black players wanting social change of one sort or another. The school song "The Eyes of Texas" is being criticized because it was first sung (or may have been first sung, it is debatable) at a minstrel show. Eliminating a long standing tradition of a song whose lyrics are unobjectionable, for that reason doesn't sit well with many, but some players are demanding it, others not.

I did the poll here in part after seeing the poll there. About 60% there thought there would be football of some kind and only 20% thought no football, with another 20% undecided. That was a while back about 2 weeks, I don't know if it would be the same today. No one thinks it will be business as usual, but some kind of shorter season (dropping some unprofitable and nonconference games) perhaps played in some sort of near empty stadium. Various ideas from completely empty to 10% to 25% to 50% full with masks and social distancing. The key is to get or rather save that TV revenue. If you don't get SEC TV money, where are Muschamp's millions go to come from? Think a bit like th AD who is advising your President.

Also, Texas has already announced it will have in-person classes up until Thanksgiving, with virtual between then and Christmas. Frankly, the bigger threat to the season isn't COVID in Texas, it will be protests by black players wanting social change of one sort or another. The school song "The Eyes of Texas" is being criticized because it was first sung (or may have been first sung, it is debatable) at a minstrel show. Eliminating a long standing tradition of a song whose lyrics are unobjectionable, for that reason doesn't sit well with many, but some players are demanding it, others not.
Hopefully with no football these crazy salaries will be a thing of the past. Do you think muschamps worth what he gets paid? Would you pay him half that to be your head coach? I didnt think so. No football may be a good thing to get priority back in line

Reactions: ddw1263
Hopefully with no football these crazy salaries will be a thing of the past. Do you think muschamps worth what he gets paid? Would you pay him half that to be your head coach? I didnt think so. No football may be a good thing to get priority back in line

I don't think he is worth that, but he has a written contract that he can enforce in court requiring that pay. SC will have to pay him, football or no football. The money has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is SEC TV money. That is why the SEC will have a season of some sort in the Fall, and if the South Carolina governor doesn't agree, he is going to seriously injure his flagship university.

u think that’s in the contract?......negotiations coming......but health of athletes is bottom line

Since when has the health of athletes come before money? I don't think you will see anyone pay TV money if no games. Negotiations will never overcome that. How could it? These athletic departments depend on football TV money, not just for football, but all the other sports. Athletic Departments will collapse without it.

Since when has the health of athletes come before money? I don't think you will see anyone pay TV money if no games. Negotiations will never overcome that. How could it? These athletic departments depend on football TV money, not just for football, but all the other sports. Athletic Departments will collapse without it.

It’s not in either of their hands. The states will make this call when & if they thinks it’s safe for the population.
2 months ago I thought better about it.......ask the gov of Texas what he thinks today

It’s not in either of their hands. The states will make this call when & if they thinks it’s safe for the population.
2 months ago I thought better about it.......ask the gov of Texas what he thinks today

The governor of Texas knows good and well there will be football in Texas of some kind, even if only televised. That may not be true in South Carolina. While the "states make the call" is technically true, I think it is naive to think they won't be influenced by the financial consequences to their flagship university.

The value of the poll is the summary. You don't have to go through a many, many page thread counting yeses and noes.
The problem with the poll is that it's often too simplistic. Most proffered responses are too black or white. People want to explain why they voted a certain way, which renders the poll kind of meaningless. Case in point, look at how many people in this one thread responded with more than just the "yes or no" poll option.

The problem with the poll is that it's often too simplistic. Most proffered responses are too black or white. People want to explain why they voted a certain way, which renders the poll kind of meaningless. Case in point, look at how many people in this one thread responded with more than just the "yes or no" poll option.

Poll threads still give you the chance to explain, they just make you commit to an answer not dance around the topic. Also the Original Poster of the thread I complained about admitted he didn't know the polling feature was available, but assumed people could count up answers themselves..

"I didn't know a poll was available. I'm sure 100% of the people on here can spell Yes or No."

Poll threads still give you the chance to explain, they just make you commit to an answer not dance around the topic. Also the Original Poster of the thread I complained about admitted he didn't know the polling feature was available, but assumed people could count up answers themselves..

"I didn't know a poll was available. I'm sure 100% of the people on here can spell Yes or No."
Yes, I read that. And I still stand by my statement. This is a forum for people to post their opinions. The whole idea of "A Simple Yes or No" poll question is seemingly pointless when everyone knows they want/need to explain thier answers. JMHO.

I don't think he is worth that, but he has a written contract that he can enforce in court requiring that pay. SC will have to pay him, football or no football. The money has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is SEC TV money. That is why the SEC will have a season of some sort in the Fall, and if the South Carolina governor doesn't agree, he is going to seriously injure his flagship university.
In general, this is not true. Most contracts have a "force majeure" clause. Now, it would not surprise me to find out that SC forgot to include one in Muschamp's contract, but it is standard in most contracts. It usually lists a pandemic as one of the conditions that would excuse performance.

Assuming that clause is in his contract, and if we don't play football this fall, Muschamp will not be paid his full contract. Neither will Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney.

In general, this is not true. Most contracts have a "force majeure" clause. Now, it would not surprise me to find out that SC forgot to include one in Muschamp's contract, but it is standard in most contracts. It usually lists a pandemic as one of the conditions that would excuse performance.

Assuming that clause is in his contract, and if we don't play football this fall, Muschamp will not be paid his full contract. Neither will Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney.

I agree that, if in the contract, colleges may try to avoid payment that way. It is no slam dunk that this is a winning argument. This is from my Bar Course book:

Events Capable of Constituting Force Majeure
The “test” for force majeure usually requires the satisfaction of three distinct criteria:
  • the event must be beyond the reasonable control of the affected party;
  • the affected party’s ability to perform its obligations under the contract must have been prevented, impeded or hindered by the event; and
  • the affected party must have taken all reasonable steps to seek to avoid or mitigate the event or its consequences.
If the colleges have not considered changing locations, minimizing crowds, etc, have they really taken all reasonable steps? Do they really want to be in litigation with their head coach? Maybe SC with Muschamp, but you really think Clemson wants to sue or be sued by Dabo, same for Saban and Alabama? Long-term that is a way to lose a coach. Clemson desperately wants Dabo to stay at Clemson and not move to Alabama when Saban retires. You think litigation with Dabo and the irritation that brings is a good idea for keeping him?

Yes, I read that. And I still stand by my statement. This is a forum for people to post their opinions. The whole idea of "A Simple Yes or No" poll question is seemingly pointless when everyone knows they want/need to explain thier answers. JMHO.

Everyone may want to explain their answers but you can't say it is pointless, as many of us want to know how many are for something and how many against it. It clearly has a reason and a point and in no way hinders you explaining your answer.

I agree that, if in the contract, colleges may try to avoid payment that way. It is no slam dunk that this is a winning argument. This is from my Bar Course book:

Events Capable of Constituting Force Majeure
The “test” for force majeure usually requires the satisfaction of three distinct criteria:
  • the event must be beyond the reasonable control of the affected party;
  • the affected party’s ability to perform its obligations under the contract must have been prevented, impeded or hindered by the event; and
  • the affected party must have taken all reasonable steps to seek to avoid or mitigate the event or its consequences.
If the colleges have not considered changing locations, minimizing crowds, etc, have they really taken all reasonable steps? Do they really want to be in litigation with their head coach? Maybe SC with Muschamp, but you really think Clemson wants to sue or be sued by Dabo, same for Saban and Alabama? Long-term that is a way to lose a coach. Clemson desperately wants Dabo to stay at Clemson and not move to Alabama when Saban retires. You think litigation with Dabo and the irritation that brings is a good idea for keeping him?

As I said above, It would not surprise me if SC left out a "force majeure" clause from Muschamp's contract.

They did. Unless I missed it. (This is is original contract from 2015. If it was left out in 2015 it is likely it is not in the new/extended contract)

Somebody with better eyes read this and tell me if you see it.

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wp...ts/willmuschamp-socal-employment-contract.pdf

As I said above, It would not surprise me if SC left out a "force majeure" clause from Muschamp's contract.

They did. Unless I missed it. (This is is original contract from 2015. If it was left out in 2015 it is likely it is not in the new/extended contract)

Somebody with better eyes read this and tell me if you see it.

https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wp...ts/willmuschamp-socal-employment-contract.pdf
I read it and don’t see a force majeure clause either.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I will not. I won't put anything into my body before knowing the long term effects. Does me no good if it prevents COVID but causes gall stones 10 years down the road, or cancer, or liver disease, or any number of other afflictions we may not be aware of.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am curious.

You are being exposed to things that are linked to diabetes and cancer every day. It is in food, medicines, powders, drinks. Just about everything. As a child you were vaccinated for smallpox, typhoid, and pertussis. Why would this vaccine be different?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT