ADVERTISEMENT

Possible tempo offense in bowl game...

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
“Coach Muschamp said he wants an offense that fits our style and wants our offense to be more explosive and faster and run more plays,” Joyner said. “Hopefully, we will get a coach that will help us do that.” -Joyner, from article a few days ago

This is what Joyner said Boom told him when he and McClendon did their in home visit. I think we will see McClendon try to go tempo in the bowl.

Stating the obvious here, but up tempo is only good if you have a good offense that is moving the chains. Michigan has a stout defense. Hurrying up to run 3 plays and punt will be a disaster. Most teams employ HUNH after they see that they can move the ball, after running some plays that gets the defensive front 7 tired/winded from chasing the ball sideline to sideline. It can be a weapon but you have to be smart about it.

Got to have better talent on the field, or it is a waste of time. Sure, they can go out there and go high tempo, run a minute off the clock, and then run a defense without a lot of depth back out there. A few three and outs under those circumstances and USC is in trouble. Now to all the folks that think tempo and play calling are the only things that separate this USC team from scoring 50 a game, that sounds great. But reality is a different world. And I think Muschamp would like to do that at some point, and the reason he said that to Joyner. But now, especially this bowl game, is not the time to do it.

I'm glad Mclendon is getting his shot and I think he will mix it up from what we've been accustom to. Hell of a way to start your debut against this defense, but if you can move the all and score on these guys then you can do it against anyone. Michigan D is for real.

Reactions: gamecockfury
Got to have better talent on the field, or it is a waste of time. Sure, they can go out there and go high tempo, run a minute off the clock, and then run a defense without a lot of depth back out there. A few three and outs under those circumstances and USC is in trouble. Now to all the folks that think tempo and play calling are the only things that separate this USC team from scoring 50 a game, that sounds great. But reality is a different world. And I think Muschamp would like to do that at some point, and the reason he said that to Joyner. But now, especially this bowl game, is not the time to do it.
Tempo is more than just calling a play faster. It keeps a defense on their heels and they have less time to adjust. There is plenty of talent on this offense. Edwards, Hurst, Shi, Turner...Our last offense went 3 and out consistently and gassed our defense so if they do it with tempo at least they’re trying something different.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT