ADVERTISEMENT

Post Spring Game Thoughts

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
I know it’s a Spring Game so take it as you will but...

1. Number two QB is in good shape. Joyner looked the part, not great but man does he have wheels. Hilinski is 15 practices in and can zip it. Should he no reason to not take chances with Bentley.

2. Enagbare looks like another player. Fast and lean.

3. Kevin Harris is a man, another few months in the weight room and he’ll look like a Junior. Don’t think he has the elite ability to make somebody miss, but maybe we’ll finally have somebody that isn’t afraid of contact.

4. Jamal Cook layed the wood. Can only be an upgrade from Montac.

5. Bailey and Urich got a lot of targets. Hopefully will be used, seemed to get open but need to hold onto the ball. Idk what is up with the rest of the WR outside of Shi and Edwards, maybe poor recruiting eval?

Overall defense looks like they have a lot of talent. Should be improved. Offense still struggling to catch the ball, and didn’t focus on the run at all, but it’s a Spring game.

Attendance looked horrible.

Hilinski slings the ball quicker and better than any QB I've seen in a Gamecock uniform in a long time, maybe forever. Doesn't seem to be rattled even for an upperclassman. Joyner had some nice plays and some not so nice. Both had a couple of seriously high overthrows. I keep hoping Bentley will show some serious progression beyond his freshman year..

Many of the first stringers were held out which was to get a better look at the new guys and backups. Good thing I expect.

The rules and tactics of the spring game don't do it for me but probably better for the coaches evaluations. Only hurt player I saw was Stanley and hopefully not serious.

Our spring game doesn't appear to encourage lots of fans to fill the stands. Hard to follow and get a good impression of the players and their abilities. Attendance may be free but 300 miles and other costs just doesn't get me to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldhunter

1. Number two QB is in good shape. Joyner looked the part, not great but man does he have wheels. Hilinski is 15 practices in and can zip it. Should he no reason to not take chances with Bentley.

3. Kevin Harris is a man, another few months in the weight room and he’ll look like a Junior. Don’t think he has the elite ability to make somebody miss, but maybe we’ll finally have somebody that isn’t afraid of contact.

5. Bailey and Urich got a lot of targets. Hopefully will be used, seemed to get open but need to hold onto the ball. Idk what is up with the rest of the WR outside of Shi and Edwards, maybe poor recruiting eval?

Overall defense looks like they have a lot of talent. Should be improved. Offense still struggling to catch the ball, and didn’t focus on the run at all, but it’s a Spring game.

I'm guessing 20k at the most! Very disappointing! We have a lot of fans that just don't get it!

We looked a little faster on defense but I hereby refuse to get too pumped up until the injury report is released in August that changes everything. With our schedule we need to be better and in one piece and I still get that nervous feeling when JB is in the game even in a spring game. Still getting balls batted down and missing folks ain't making me confident.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
We looked a little faster on defense but I hereby refuse to get too pumped up until the injury report is released in August that changes everything. With our schedule we need to be better and in one piece and I still get that nervous feeling when JB is in the game even in a spring game. Still getting balls batted down and missing folks ain't making me confident.
The boos may get louder this year

I watched our game , the LSU spring game and parts of the Clemson game . Are far as energy and crowd participation it was laughable. I liked what I saw but I have a feeling last season , especially the way it ended is having an effect . People are already settling for .500 or better next season and that’s never good . Hey at least we aren’t FSU . My buddy went to their spring game and he said he’s seen bigger crowds at JV games . Overall I thought the young QB’s looked very sharp

Your last point owes to the bowl game, plain and simple. It flattened the fan base and the "new" is worn off.

We have to stop having our spring game at noon and allow folks to show up it would increase the attendance by thousands.

I assume, like everything else, TV plays a part in this. But this is the second consecutive year we’ve been stuck at noon. Maybe the AD will wake up for next year and get us a 2 or 4 pm slot.

These thing are only good to see who really stands out athletically. Cook, Enagbare, Pickens, Anderson, Sandidge, Dylan Wonnum, Shi Smith, and, amizngly Urich all look the part. Nothing impressive from the RBs and the other WRs seemed to struggle.

I assume, like everything else, TV plays a part in this. But this is the second consecutive year we’ve been stuck at noon. Maybe the AD will wake up for next year and get us a 2 or 4 pm slot.

These thing are only good to see who really stands out athletically. Cook, Enagbare, Pickens, Anderson, Sandidge, Dylan Wonnum, Shi Smith, and, amizngly Urich all look the part. Nothing impressive from the RBs and the other WRs seemed to struggle.
I like all the guys you listed and would like to add Ernest Jones. He will be in the NFL. He is a Stud. Enagbare is a stud as well.

I know it. It seemed last season we had too many noon games anyway and now we get stuck in the noon slot even for the spring. I just doesn't feel like football until at least 3 pm. I thought the big guy was worth seeing he at least gives us a shot on a 4th and one Hart had the drop fever and looked a little timid. I'm hoping the lack of RB show was the defense tackling better but we'll see right?

Gamecock supporters are good, loyal fans. But losing the Belk Bowl 28-0 just over three months ago is enough to dampen the enthusiasm of even the best fanbase.

Much agree. Year 4 was the witching point when Florida sobered up. Let's see what happens on our end. Most of the Muschamp enthusiasts are now banging the upcomin "Brutal Year" drum. Outside of BAMA, the schedule is more favorable this year than last. We have games like UK, Florida and Clemson that *should* give us a shot at home. If we go 6-6 or less, he should be let go. The Ryan Hilinski "out of left field" acquisition should not play a part in continuing to pay this guy 6mil a year to beat Vandy, the fillers and a few SEC bottom dwellers.

Much agree. Year 4 was the witching point when Florida sobered up. Let's see what happens on our end. Most of the Muschamp enthusiasts are now banging the upcomin "Brutal Year" drum. Outside of BAMA, the schedule is more favorable this year than last. We have games like UK, Florida and Clemson that *should* give us a shot at home. If we go 6-6 or less, he should be let go. The Ryan Hilinski "out of left field" acquisition should not play a part in continuing to pay this guy 6mil a year to beat Vandy, the fillers and a few SEC bottom dwellers.
LOL, " the schedule is more favorable ". We play more than likely the top 3 teams in the country. And you cant just take out Bama.

Ja. I think the SEC network dictates what the time schedule will be for the spring game. if possible, South Carolina should have the spring game for a date when no other conference members are scheduled for their spring game. Even if that means scheduling the spring game for a weekday night.

My main question about the spring game is can the South Carolina defense get off the field with holding the opponents offense to three downs and out or limit the opponents offense at the maximum four possessions in the red zone. I feel like I did not get an answer today as a result of the defense was holding back their full potential.

LOL, " the schedule is more favorable ". We play more than likely the top 3 teams in the country. And you cant just take out Bama.

:)

Bama is at home. That will be a challenging game just as it was in 2010.

Clemson and UGA will about the same as last year. We aren't going to beat either but we do have the rival at home this year. And one reason they are a Top 3 teams is because we don't beat them anymore

We haven't beat UK under Muschamp. We've got a chance at home this year without Snell in the backfield.

UF is more favorable at home.

Vandy, Charleston Southern and App State at Home should all be wins.

Last year's bottom dweller UT and Missou on road.

A&M has been a loss wherever we play them.

Overall, feels about the same.

Last edited:
I know it. It seemed last season we had too many noon games anyway and now we get stuck in the noon slot even for the spring. I just doesn't feel like football until at least 3 pm. I thought the big guy was worth seeing he at least gives us a shot on a 4th and one Hart had the drop fever and looked a little timid. I'm hoping the lack of RB show was the defense tackling better but we'll see right?
It demonstrates the extent to which we are not prioritized. Our status is rightly assigned.

Would be easy, with some creativity, to make it "an event." Have the current and former players sign autographs after the game, maybe in place of the "Fan Appreciation Day" in August. Bring Hootie, or somebody, in for halftime. Have drawings at the end of each quarter for 2 season tickets, have to be present to win. Hey - I was there, but people find a lot of excuses not to go, despite the new players and ideal weather. Give away free shirts. Come up with other reasons to go other than the game. I go for the game, but other people apparently need more incentives.

My though is I hope we have a better team this year but do not get too excited until we see some actual results on the field. UVA was a serious disaster, I am still pissed about it.

Reactions: uscalumni
i was pleasantly surprised with the line and linebackers.....secondary not so much

Where does that 6 mil figure come from? Thought it was about 3.5.

My main question about the spring game is can the South Carolina defense get off the field with holding the opponents offense to three downs and out or limit the opponents offense at the maximum four possessions in the red zone. I feel like I did not get an answer today as a result of the defense was holding back their full potential.

The spring game is not going to be the best indicator for how well we'll do that. Coach Muschamp had one time earlier this past week said the back-up QBs were going to be "live", but he backed off of that I guess. So the defense were straight-jacketed to a degree.

The coaching staff beginning with Muschamp has been stating that this defense is deeper and bigger than any he's had since getting to Columbia, so if he's putting it on the line like that, they better show something come opening day. I mean, Coach Muschamp is s'posed to know something about defense, right?

Thank you for the breakdown LCC.

Reactions: rogue cock
The problem with last year is we ran tempo, offense stalled and gave the ball back. We loss hugely in TOP and our defense was wore out because of it.

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Harris doesn't run like a man yet. Did you see him get stopped at the goal line by another true freshman linebacker. That LB from North Carolina is going to be a good one.

Hilinksi is the more accurate of all quarterbacks. He has definitely made things interesting for next fall. Bentley is going to play his best football ever......or else. Competition is a healthy thing.

Urich is a player. We have to find a way to get him involved. Wide receiver gets the ball on a reverse and throws it to the open guy in the end zone. It is coming. Mark it down.

Our o-line just looks more physical. Such a sight for these sore eyes. Having a right guard make the successful transition to left tackle is nothing short of a miracle in my humble opinion. You the man Hutcherson. The NFL loves versatility.

Tailback is still average for our upcoming FOURTH season under Muschamp. God I miss Lattimore.

Reactions: rogue cock
Would be easy, with some creativity, to make it "an event." Have the current and former players sign autographs after the game, maybe in place of the "Fan Appreciation Day" in August. Bring Hootie, or somebody, in for halftime. Have drawings at the end of each quarter for 2 season tickets, have to be present to win. Hey - I was there, but people find a lot of excuses not to go, despite the new players and ideal weather. Give away free shirts. Come up with other reasons to go other than the game. I go for the game, but other people apparently need more incentives.

You’d never get a job in our athletic department with that kind of progressive thinking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT