ADVERTISEMENT

Pros/Cons of Making Dawn HC Over the MBB Program....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare to be shocked. Becky Hammon will be the head coach of a men's program at some point. The only reason she took the WNBA job was to gain experience as a head coach. That was the barrier of an NBA team pulling the trigger on her more so than her gender. I don't like the idea of Dawn leaving one of our programs for another, but trust me on this, Dawn would get better players into our men's program than Frank has.
So, you've been talking to 4 and 5 star athletes who have divulged to you that they would instantly sign with Dawn Staley?

Reactions: uscwatson21
I have a high school senior. I'm around it constantly.

If the high school team is in the middle of rural nowhere- maybe they wont' like it. Heck some of those still won't accept a black coach. City kids and suburban kids- I don't think they care past the 1st day of practice.
I have a high school junior and all of these new kids are a little too gender bending for my taste. I guess I am old now. I think you are right that this is a zero issue with city-suburban kids.

I coach basketball at a feeder school to a 4A high school. I typically spend some time during summer workouts around coaches and players. (Currently, I'm coaching a girls team, but I started my coaching with the boys)
How long ago did you coach boys? I have 17 year old that plays basketball at a 5A high school and gender would not be an issue. All he cares about is can the coach make him better.

Women are coaching boy's basketball in high school and some are doing quite well.

(The kids don't care as long as the coach seems competent and cares about the team)

In the unlikely event they do care about gender, they will get over it quickly when properly taught that all that matters is playing the game the right way.

So, you've been talking to 4 and 5 star athletes who have divulged to you that they would instantly sign with Dawn Staley?
I won't go into it. I will say that I know a couple of the parents of some of the kids that have not picked us. I think you know some of the reasons as they have been discussed on here.

How long ago did you coach boys? I have 17 year old that plays basketball at a 5A high school and gender would not be an issue. All he cares about is can the coach make him better.
I last coached the boys' team 3 years ago. And yes, I'm sure your high school junior or senior is mostly concerned with making the team. But, I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a successful boys team or men's college program (football, basketball, baseball) that was lead by a female coach.
I'm sure there are plenty of women who know the game well enough to coach at any level. This isn't a knowledge issue.

I won't go into it. I will say that I know a couple of the parents of some of the kids that have not picked us. I think you know some of the reasons as they have been discussed on here.
But you said "trust me" that Dawn would bring in talent. You might be correct, but "trust me" strongly indicates facts, not opinions.

I last coached the boys' team 3 years ago. And yes, I'm sure your high school junior or senior is mostly concerned with making the team. But, I can't say I've ever seen or heard of a successful boys team or men's college program (football, basketball, baseball) that was lead by a female coach.
I'm sure there are plenty of women who know the game well enough to coach at any level. This isn't a knowledge issue.
....and that is not due to the players. It's because administration is always behind society. No one wants to be first. The only thing that would give me pause on Dawn, myself, is us going on to chose a woman for the men's program first. With all these men dating men and women dating women stuff going around, you really think people that have come to an acceptance of that are concerned whether the coach of any basketball team is a man or woman. All I want to know is can he/she win games.

I think that's exactly the POINT that people who think Dawn could pull this off are making.

Why haven't you heard of it happening before? Because that door hasn't opened.
You haven't seen a women be a success as the president of the United States either but i think we can all agree - whether you like the idea or not - that it feels like that day is coming because society is changing and women are in more leadership roles across the board.

Back in 1946 someone could have said "well I've never seen a successful black baseball player" and they would have been right about that. But to your point, it wasn't a talent issue - it was a social issue.

I'm not saying this will be overnight or that it's even going to be wildly successful - but some people are big time difference makers and Dawn is one of those people. If it can be done I'm sure she could do it.

But you said "trust me" that Dawn would bring in talent. You might be correct, but "trust me" strongly indicates facts, not opinions.
Would I am pretty certain Dawn would bring in better talent than Frank, to the point that I would be willing to bet money on it, work for you? However, she would have to get the job first and I doubt that would happen so I will leave it alone from here.

I think that's exactly the POINT that people who think Dawn could pull this off are making.

Why haven't you heard of it happening before? Because that door hasn't opened.
You haven't seen a women be a success as the president of the United States either but i think we can all agree - whether you like the idea or not - that it feels like that day is coming because society is changing and women are in more leadership roles across the board.

Back in 1946 someone could have said "well I've never seen a successful black baseball player" and they would have been right about that. But to your point, it wasn't a talent issue - it was a social issue.

I'm not saying this will be overnight or that it's even going to be wildly successful - but some people are big time difference makers and Dawn is one of those people. If it can be done I'm sure she could do it.
We may not have seen a female president in the US, but we've seen women lead other 1st World countries and do so successfully. So yes, of course at some point we will have a female president.

The baseball analogy...well...I don't think that's comparing apples to apples. There were discriminatory laws (or policies) in place that kept these athletes out of the majors, or other top professional leagues. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a female out there coaching a D2 men's basketball team and having a high level of success...BUT she's being held down by SEC/ACC policies that don't hire females.

We may not have seen a female president in the US, but we've seen women lead other 1st World countries and do so successfully. So yes, of course at some point we will have a female president.

The baseball analogy...well...I don't think that's comparing apples to apples. There were discriminatory laws (or policies) in place that kept these athletes out of the majors, or other top professional leagues. Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a female out there coaching a D2 men's basketball team and having a high level of success...BUT she's being held down by SEC/ACC policies that don't hire females.

It's more of a silent thing now.

30 years from now, people will be laughing at the idea that people were nervous about women coaching men's teams.

I'm all for it- but not just for the sake of doing it. I think there are some worthy candidates out there.

We do disagree that the kids will have a major issue with it. I don't see that at all. When it comes to gender roles in coaching, business, etc- my 18 year old's opinion is "who cares" -

it's just not an issue after 1 minute.

.....Like I said, it's because everyone is scared to go first. So, they are hiring women as assistant coaches now. It may take another 10 years for it happen, but it will happen. Society is already being groomed to go that way. Doors being opened to leadership are always the last step. Heck, I never thought you would would see an African-American President in my lifetime. If someone had bet me on that in 1990, I would have lost a lot of money. It happened. So, to think something is never going to happen is usually short-sighted.

30 years from now, people will be laughing at the idea that people were nervous about women coaching men's teams.

I'm all for it- but not just for the sake of doing it. I think there are some worthy candidates out there.

We do disagree that the kids will have a major issue with it. I don't see that at all. When it comes to gender roles in coaching, business, etc- my 18 year old's opinion is "who cares" -

Maybe I stated part of my point incorrectly: I don't think most male athletes are actively sitting in the classroom thinking, "Good grief, I really hope I don't have a female coach this year."

I don’t see male basketball players having a desire to play for a female coach. Anybody that suggests this has never been in a guys locker room past high school. This would be a disaster in so many levels.
Lol. I know a lot of female athletes that dont want to play for a female coach!

If, and it's a big if, having Dawn coach the men would make them a tournament team every year, I would say do it. Ultimately the only sports that matter are football and men's basketball. Those are the only sports that move the needle nationally and financially. I would absolutely trade every bit of women's basketball success, including the national championship, for just a good men's program in a heartbeat.

But like other posters have said, this will never happen.
ALL sports matter. Agreed that for the most part, only football and men's basketball move the needle nationally. And baseball pretty much pays for itself.

I actually like the idea. I think Dawn would do as well as anyone else.

I think she'd earn the respect of male basketball players very quickly. I think she already has a lot of respect with them anyway but it wouldn't take long for her to nail that down.

I think USC hiring her would be helped by a lot of high profile NBA players throwing their public support behind such a move. I think you'd see some of the biggest names come out and say something like "I would have loved to have played for Coach Staley" or something like that.

So I think with their vocal support, that would make it perfectly ok and acceptable for high school players to consider or land at South Carolina.

I think high school kids today don't care nearly as much about gender roles like this as do middle aged folks. I think a lot of player's moms would love it too.

I think the problem would be convincing her to do it here because it would hurt the program she's built.
I don't really like the idea, but I like your explanation.

In all seriousness, she is now making an ample salary and is a scrappy/proven HC. She even interviewed for the Portland Trailblazers and was quoted as saying, "...you have to consider it all." Yes, she's built a WBB powerhouse but IMO, with the state (history) of our MBB program, it's worth a gamble.
The fact that she believes Frank is the guy for the job kind of tells me all I need to know.

• Haha
Reactions: cockofdawn
Not Coach but she should definitely be on the selection committee to find a new coach….now if not sooner

Reactions: atl-cock

The people posting that a woman can't coach a mens team are of the same ilk as the people, and there were plenty of them, that said 30 years ago that a black coach could never coach at a predominately white school. That's my polite, trying to be politically correct way of saying they're bigots. What they really mean is THEY wouldn't play for a women.

It ain't complicated

I have a high school senior. I'm around it constantly.

If the high school team is in the middle of rural nowhere- maybe they wont' like it. Heck some of those still won't accept a black coach. City kids and suburban kids- I don't think they care past the 1st day of practice.
So rural teenage boys are more bigoted than urban and suburban teenage boys? Got it.

Did they delete those posts?
No, nothing deleted. Surely we are all used to someone playing the race card by now…even those this discussion was 100% about gender and 0% about race.
It goes like this: “You don’t agree with me? Well, I may not have a sound argument, but you’re a racist/misogynistic/intentionally Mis-gendering Nazi, so HA! I win!”

No, nothing deleted. Surely we are all used to someone playing the race card by now…even those this discussion was 100% about gender and 0% about race.
It goes like this: “You don’t agree with me? Well, I may not have a sound argument, but you’re a racist/misogynistic/intentionally Mis-gendering Nazi, so HA! I win!”
I didnt see anywhere, in any post RACE was brought up. BUT Some people think EVERYTHING is about RACE!!

Not a good idea. UConn has had great men and women's teams with separate coaches. Baylor has. Let's channel that model instead of going for something novel that would probably wind up hurting the one good program we have.
Thanks for the high IQ thinking. You just laid out the entire case for not having Dawn coach the men.. It's a ludicrous idea.

Some of y'all probably enjoy Beth Mowins even though she is totally out of her element. Dawn would be out of her element, too. She would be eaten alive in the men's game, especially by the sharks that infest those waters. Why don't our fans get this?

Dawn should be appreciated for what she is, an elite women's coach. Leave her there.

ALL sports matter. Agreed that for the most part, only football and men's basketball move the needle nationally. And baseball pretty much pays for itself.
All sports matter, but some matter more. MBB is much more important than WBB. Sure, we're a WBB powerhouse, but there just aren't that many people who really care. Regularly getting to the tournament in MBB would be better national exposure than being the next UConn.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
I don't think just anyone woman could coach a men's team, just like I don't think any man could coach a women's team.

Having said that, I do believe Dawn could absolutely coach for the men's game. She tough and demands a certain amount of respect. On the other side I don't see Frank Martin being well received in the woman's game.

To answer the question, I think it's a bad idea. She's doing fine where she's at and her goal seems to be elevate the women's game. Why ruin a good thing we got going.

Some of y'all probably enjoy Beth Mowins even though she is totally out of her element. Dawn would be out of her element, too. She would be eaten alive in the men's game, especially by the sharks that infest those waters. Why don't our fans get this?

Dawn should be appreciated for what she is, an elite women's coach. Leave her there.
I don't like Beth Mowins, but it is not because of her gender. Her voice just gets on my nerves. I think part of it is the fact that she started on those sleepy Big 10 games at 12:00. I like Doris Burke as an NBA color commentator though. She is very knowledgeable and does that job well. The only other color guys I like better are Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy. I don't think anyone is seriously considering moving Dawn to the men's position. However, a poster just thinking out loud about the possibility has revealed some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT