ADVERTISEMENT

Pros/Cons of Making Dawn HC Over the MBB Program....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
In all seriousness, she is now making an ample salary and is a scrappy/proven HC. She even interviewed for the Portland Trailblazers and was quoted as saying, "...you have to consider it all." Yes, she's built a WBB powerhouse but IMO, with the state (history) of our MBB program, it's worth a gamble.

Last edited:
baby-laughing.gif

Why? That'd be like Tanner becoming AD. The WBB program would go to crap.
Going from coach of baseball to AD of all sports is nothing like going from coach of women's basketball to coach of men's basketball. There is no comparison. The question is whether the women's game is substantially similar to the men's game. I don't know women's bball well enough to answer that question. I do think the joint would be electric the first time CDS coached the men's team and as a Clemson fan I'd be at that game. And I'll guarantee you CDS has an assistant on her bench that is ready to take over a program.

Anson Dorrance coached the powerhouse women’s and men’s soccer at UNcarolina for over 20 years. Also coached the USWNT and Olympic team during this time

Pros: She's awesome. It would give USC some temporary great press.
Cons: 1) Would tank the women's program. 2) The prima donnas who play men's basketball couldn't handle that level of heat from a woman.

Reactions: 92Pony
If, and it's a big if, having Dawn coach the men would make them a tournament team every year, I would say do it. Ultimately the only sports that matter are football and men's basketball. Those are the only sports that move the needle nationally and financially. I would absolutely trade every bit of women's basketball success, including the national championship, for just a good men's program in a heartbeat.

But like other posters have said, this will never happen.

Reactions: Cockish
Pros: She's awesome. It would give USC some temporary great press.
Cons: 1) Would tank the women's program. 2) The prima donnas who play men's basketball couldn't handle that level of heat from a woman.

This. Some temporary cute press coverage would not be worth it.

So I assume Tanner is making the pitch now.

Can we just make her the basketball czar over our entire basketball program somehow???
Ha, it’s an intriguing idea involving her in the men’s program or even my silly idea above - someone out there will think outside the box and make a move like this at some point though

Reactions: cockofdawn
Can we just make her the basketball czar over our entire basketball program somehow???
Ha, it’s an intriguing idea involving her in the men’s program or even my silly idea above - someone out there will think outside the box and make a move like this at some point though
You are correct, it will be done and coach Geno has already proven a coach's gender doesn't matter at that level.

The only certain positive I can think of is a double check mark for political correctness and some national attention. The headline would read -S. Carolina makes history by hiring Dawn Staley as first African American female basketball coach for mens’ team.

You are correct, it will be done and coach Geno has already proven a coach's gender doesn't matter at that level.
While I agree that a coach's gender doesn't matter when it comes to coaching women's basketball, I think it absolutely matters when coaching almost all men's sports.

You could blame it on the players and society not wanting to take athletic instructions from a women. You could blame the female coach for not being able to relate/connect with male athletes. You could blame no one. It doesn't matter, but I will be completely shocked if I ever see a female coach, no matter how brilliant and driven she may be, lead a successful higher-level men's program.

Yes and mess up our #1 women? I think there are plenty of very good male coaches we could get whenever a change is made, if it is. Silly idea. Instead make Dawn instrumental in hiring the next coach. She knows who can coach and who would be a great recruiter. I’m tired of seeing the best player, for the most part, leave the state. Get a list from HER, not Ray or a stupid search firm or anyone else. Start with that and give her veto power over a new hire.

Yes and mess up our #1 women? I think there are plenty of very good male coaches we could get whenever a change is made, if it is. Silly idea. Instead make Dawn instrumental in hiring the next coach. She knows who can coach and who would be a great recruiter. I’m tired of seeing the best player, for the most part, leave the state. Get a list from HER, not Ray or a stupid search firm or anyone else. Start with that and give her veto power over a new hire.
Can't you make the argument that if you trust her enough to take such a strong role/lead in determining the next coach and that you trust her basketball knowledge expands into the men's game that much - that she could also likely take on the role herself?

I think that argument can be made.

I ultimately agree that I would prefer a we hire a male to lead the men's team but I'm not so sure she couldn't do a better job with player retention and consistency from the team's game to game performances than Frank is currently managing.

Someone is going to hire a women at some point in the next 5 years I think to lead a major men's team...I don't know if it will be basketball but the reality is there are women starting to coach in men's sports and at some point someone will pull that trigger.

In all seriousness, she is now making an ample salary and is a scrappy/proven HC. She even interviewed for the Portland Trailblazers and was quoted as saying, "...you have to consider it all." Yes, she's built a WBB powerhouse but IMO, with the state (history) of our MBB program, it's worth a gamble.

I actually like the idea. I think Dawn would do as well as anyone else.

I think she'd earn the respect of male basketball players very quickly. I think she already has a lot of respect with them anyway but it wouldn't take long for her to nail that down.

I think USC hiring her would be helped by a lot of high profile NBA players throwing their public support behind such a move. I think you'd see some of the biggest names come out and say something like "I would have loved to have played for Coach Staley" or something like that.

So I think with their vocal support, that would make it perfectly ok and acceptable for high school players to consider or land at South Carolina.

I think high school kids today don't care nearly as much about gender roles like this as do middle aged folks. I think a lot of player's moms would love it too.

I think the problem would be convincing her to do it here because it would hurt the program she's built.

Sure hope not unless we're going to run the Princeton Offense. The men's game bears little resemblance to the women's game. Like comparing hockey to curling.

Dawn is national treasure at the sport she's played and coached. Let's not screw that up.

I actually like the idea. I think Dawn would do as well as anyone else.

I think she'd earn the respect of male basketball players very quickly. I think she already has a lot of respect with them anyway but it wouldn't take long for her to nail that down.

I think USC hiring her would be helped by a lot of high profile NBA players throwing their public support behind such a move. I think you'd see some of the biggest names come out and say something like "I would have loved to have played for Coach Staley" or something like that.

So I think with their vocal support, that would make it perfectly ok and acceptable for high school players to consider or land at South Carolina.

I think high school kids today don't care nearly as much about gender roles like this as do middle aged folks. I think a lot of player's moms would love it too.

I think the problem would be convincing her to do it here because it would hurt the program she's built.
I think you haven't been around high school boys' athletics lately...and I think you're wrong.

While I agree that a coach's gender doesn't matter when it comes to coaching women's basketball, I think it absolutely matters when coaching almost all men's sports.

You could blame it on the players and society not wanting to take athletic instructions from a women. You could blame the female coach for not being able to relate/connect with male athletes. You could blame no one. It doesn't matter, but I will be completely shocked if I ever see a female coach, no matter how brilliant and driven she may be, lead a successful higher-level men's program.
Prepare to be shocked. Becky Hammon will be the head coach of a men's program at some point. The only reason she took the WNBA job was to gain experience as a head coach. That was the barrier of an NBA team pulling the trigger on her more so than her gender. I don't like the idea of Dawn leaving one of our programs for another, but trust me on this, Dawn would get better players into our men's program than Frank has.

Reactions: Gamekem
I think you haven't been around high school boys' athletics lately...and I think you're wrong.
What high school boys' athletics program have you been around. The one's I have been exposed to, and I have been around a lot and a lot of AAU programs, gender is not an issue. I have seen a good measure of female coaches coaching AAU boys programs and doing quite well. So, everyone's experience is not the same.

I have a high school senior. I'm around it constantly.

If the high school team is in the middle of rural nowhere- maybe they wont' like it. Heck some of those still won't accept a black coach. City kids and suburban kids- I don't think they care past the 1st day of practice.

Why do you think the teams are hesitant to pull the trigger on her?
There have been reports all over, and it may be excuse, that she has never been a head coach and only been involved with the San Antonio Spurs. She was a top candidate for the Portland Trailblazer job and I think some of the stuff Chauncey Billups had to go through with 20 year old unproven, sexual assault charge being brought back up was because a lot of people were in Hammons' corner to get that job.

Sure hope not unless we're going to run the Princeton Offense. The men's game bears little resemblance to the women's game. Like comparing hockey to curling.

Dawn is national treasure at the sport she's played and coached. Let's not screw that up.

I think if you know basketball, you know basketball.

Dawn knows basketball. She's clearly not going to try to run the exact same sets with a men's team.

Heck, she very likely wouldn't try to do some of the things Frank tries to do- that are proven not to work at South Carolina.

Reactions: atl-cock
What high school boys' athletics program have you been around. The one's I have been exposed to, and I have been around a lot and a lot of AAU programs, gender is not an issue. I have seen a good measure of female coaches coaching AAU boys programs and doing quite well. So, everyone's experience is not the same.
I coach basketball at a feeder school to a 4A high school. I typically spend some time during summer workouts around coaches and players. (Currently, I'm coaching a girls team, but I started my coaching with the boys)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT