ADVERTISEMENT

Question: If players tranfer...

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
From a school that was handed a bowl ban like Ole Miss do the kids have to sit a year out still?

The only exception to sitting out a year other than for a graduating senior, is if the team is abolishing their program like UAB did a few years ago.

Reactions: oakley51
NCAA sanctions allow it as well. See Penn State 2012.
That is not one of the exceptions allowed by the NCAA. In the case of Penn St (and a couple of others in the past) the NCAA issued a waiver for those transferees, but it is not automatic. The NCAA does not routinely allow transfer exceptions merely because a school has been issued sanctions. There has to be some overriding reason such as the extreme case at Penn State involving criminal sexual misconduct that so taints the school that it would preclude an athlete from wanting to be associated with that institution. The Ole Miss players will not be allowed a transfer exception just because there are sanctions for the school for rules violations.

That is not one of the exceptions allowed by the NCAA. In the case of Penn St (and a couple of others in the past) the NCAA issued a waiver for those transferees, but it is not automatic. The NCAA does not routinely allow transfer exceptions merely because a school has been issued sanctions. There has to be some overriding reason such as the extreme case at Penn State involving criminal sexual misconduct that so taints the school that it would preclude an athlete from wanting to be associated with that institution. The Ole Miss players will not be allowed a transfer exception just because there are sanctions for the school for rules violations.
That may be true, but it was a direct result of the sanctions. I was just responding to your post that said the abolishment of a program is the only exception, which is not true.

That may be true, but it was a direct result of the sanctions. I was just responding to your post that said the abolishment of a program is the only exception, which is not true.
Then find and post a link to a regulation from the NCAA that says a player can transfer from a school that has sanctions without sitting out a year. There is no such rule. The Penn State case was VERY rare and was a special case of the NCAA issuing a waiver from the stated rules. There is no exception of the transfer rules for schools incurring sanctions.

From CBS Sports:

"The seemingly never-ending investigation by the NCAA into Ole Miss athletics is finally over -- and the football program took the brunt of the penalties.

The NCAA announced the program lacked institutional control and fostered an unconstrained culture of booster involvement in football recruiting, in a report released Friday. The school will receive three years probation through Nov. 30, 2020, a two-year total bowl ban (one additional year from what has already been self-imposed), vacation of all regular-season and postseason wins in which ineligible student-athletes competed and the NCAA upheld Ole Miss' scholarship reductions through 2018-2019 that it self-imposed (11 over four years).

Former head football coach Hugh Freeze must serve a two conference-game suspension if he is hired prior to Nov. 30, 2018. Several other coaches and administrators received show-cause orders in the report, including Barney Farrar (five years) and Chris Kiffin (two years), according to the Clarion Ledger. A show-cause penalty means that any school hoping to hire any of those coaches prior to the order running out will have to present a case to the infractions committee.

"This is now the third case over three decades that has involved the boosters and football program," the NCAA panel stated in its decision. "Even the head coach acknowledged that upon coming to Mississippi, he was surprised by the 'craziness' of boosters trying to insert themselves into his program."

The additional bowl ban means that rising seniors currently with the program have the ability to transfer to other FBS institutions without sitting out a year as generally mandated by the NCAA. That means star players like rising junior quarterback Shea Patterson and junior wide receiver A.J. Brown would have to sit if they transfer, since they conceivably could play in the postseason after the 2018 ban expires......"

The additional bowl ban means that rising seniors currently with the program have the ability to transfer to other FBS institutions without sitting out a year as generally mandated by the NCAA. That means star players like rising junior quarterback Shea Patterson and junior wide receiver A.J. Brown would have to sit if they transfer, since they conceivably could play in the postseason after the 2018 ban expires......"

After seeing last season, Ta'amu is head and shoulders above Patterson. My best guess is both transfer. If I were Ta'amu I'd contact Chip Kelly ASAP, so maybe I could be there in the spring.

Then find and post a link to a regulation from the NCAA that says a player can transfer from a school that has sanctions without sitting out a year. There is no such rule. The Penn State case was VERY rare and was a special case of the NCAA issuing a waiver from the stated rules. There is no exception of the transfer rules for schools incurring sanctions.
Do you understand what the definition of exception is? By the very definition, the Penn State case fell into that category, which immediately made your statement false. It does not matter how rare, how common, etc.

From CBS Sports:

"The seemingly never-ending investigation by the NCAA into Ole Miss athletics is finally over -- and the football program took the brunt of the penalties.

The NCAA announced the program lacked institutional control and fostered an unconstrained culture of booster involvement in football recruiting, in a report released Friday. The school will receive three years probation through Nov. 30, 2020, a two-year total bowl ban (one additional year from what has already been self-imposed), vacation of all regular-season and postseason wins in which ineligible student-athletes competed and the NCAA upheld Ole Miss' scholarship reductions through 2018-2019 that it self-imposed (11 over four years).

Former head football coach Hugh Freeze must serve a two conference-game suspension if he is hired prior to Nov. 30, 2018. Several other coaches and administrators received show-cause orders in the report, including Barney Farrar (five years) and Chris Kiffin (two years), according to the Clarion Ledger. A show-cause penalty means that any school hoping to hire any of those coaches prior to the order running out will have to present a case to the infractions committee.

"This is now the third case over three decades that has involved the boosters and football program," the NCAA panel stated in its decision. "Even the head coach acknowledged that upon coming to Mississippi, he was surprised by the 'craziness' of boosters trying to insert themselves into his program."

That's not an exception though, I'm sure.

Do you understand what the definition of exception is? By the very definition, the Penn State case fell into that category, which immediately made your statement false. It does not matter how rare, how common, etc.
Do you understand what a rule is? Do you understand what a Waiver is? Apparently not. Apparently you do not know what an exception is either. Just to help you out, there is this thing called a "Rule Book." In that Rule Book there are rules documented that must be followed. When there are circumstances whereby the governing body thinks it is ok not to comply with those rules they also document a list of exceptions to the rules in that Rule Book. I asked you to quote an exception from the rule for situations like this and apparently you are unable to do so. That would be because no such exception exists in the rule book. The Penn State situation is not an exception to the rule. It was an NCAA decree setting aside the rule in this ONE particular case. It does not affect any other case.

From CBS Sports:

That is correct. The Seniors may transfer under the Senior rule exception allowed by the NCAA. The non Senior players wishing to transfer must sit out a year of competition before they are eligible to compete.

Reactions: rogue cock
Do you understand what a rule is? Do you understand what a Waiver is? Apparently not. Apparently you do not know what an exception is either. Just to help you out, there is this thing called a "Rule Book." In that Rule Book there are rules documented that must be followed. When there are circumstances whereby the governing body thinks it is ok not to comply with those rules they also document a list of exceptions to the rules in that Rule Book. I asked you to quote an exception from the rule for situations like this and apparently you are unable to do so. That would be because no such exception exists in the rule book. The Penn State situation is not an exception to the rule. It was an NCAA decree setting aside the rule in this ONE particular case. It does not affect any other case.
I'll help you out. This is the only freebie you get though. "Exception - something excepted; an instance or case not conforming to the general rule." Now, explain to me how the Penn State case conformed to the general rule in the rule book you're on about. This is third grade comprehension levels required. Come on.

That is correct. The Seniors may transfer under the Senior rule exception allowed by the NCAA. The non Senior players wishing to transfer must sit out a year of competition before they are eligible to compete.
Thanks. I was trying to find the rule. Honestly wasn't sure how it worked.

Re: Ole Miss. Why does the NCAA act as if the student athletes are innocent? They are the ones that benefited from the infractions and now they can transfer without penalty.

You know what? I apologize. I'm having a rough few days and shouldn't have responded the way I did. The point I was making still stands but the manner of response was unwarranted.

I'll help you out. This is the only freebie you get though. "Exception - something excepted; an instance or case not conforming to the general rule." Now, explain to me how the Penn State case conformed to the general rule in the rule book you're on about. This is third grade comprehension levels required. Come on.
I already did. Didn't you read it? Also, this has nothing to do with the Webster definition of the word exception. We are talking about allowed exceptions to the rules that are DOCUMENTED within the rule book.

What about the call girl situation? A parent could make the argument where they didn’t want their kid in a culture where that was present?

IMHO and people will probably freak out over it but if a head coach leaves the institution the players should be allowed to tranfer without penalty. Sanctions or no sanctions.

sounds good in theory, however what happens if so many players leave that the program has to be shut down? then the scheduling issues for the next year.
IMHO and people will probably freak out over it but if a head coach leaves the institution the players should be allowed to tranfer without penalty. Sanctions or no sanctions.

sounds good in theory, however what happens if so many players leave that the program has to be shut down? then the scheduling issues for the next year.
Oh yeah I’m sure. Teams would be much more hesitant to drop the hammer on a coach. Agreed though it would be a nightmare .

What about the call girl situation? A parent could make the argument where they didn’t want their kid in a culture where that was present?
Then the penalty would depend on who is paying for the call girl. I could see that being considered and impermissible benefit.:D
Seriously though this may be another situation where the NCAA steps in and issues a waiver to allow players to transfer.

You know what? I apologize. I'm having a rough few days and shouldn't have responded the way I did. The point I was making still stands but the manner of response was unwarranted.
No need to apologize. You said nothing offensive. It is just some good natured back and forth on a message board. We're both just stating our opinions. I Look forward to future posts. Its all good.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT