ADVERTISEMENT

Raven Johnson

treetop flier

Aug 25, 2000
Watched the replay of Raven's game in the Geico Girls National Championship Semi Final. Hadn't seen her play before. She is going to be special at Carolina. 1 assist away from a triple double. 1 assist and 3 steals from a quadruple double. 25 points. Fremont had closed to within 3 late in the game and she just took over. Great vision, and passing skills. Good 3 point shooter. I think she made 4. Great situation for her to come in and not have to carry more than her share with the guards we have.

The game is on the ESPN app and they play for the championship today(Sat) at 10am.

We have 14 players right now scheduled to be on next year's roster. We can have 15. What, if anything, do we do with that extra spot?

My guess is Lele would like to come back. Just a guess. She could rehab using the university's resources and slowly play her way back into basketball shape.

But we could really use another big body. Not a star. Just a grad transfer who wants play on a good team and will accept limited minutes.

Reactions: Goody101
We have 14 players right now scheduled to be on next year's roster. We can have 15. What, if anything, do we do with that extra spot?

My guess is Lele would like to come back. Just a guess. She could rehab using the university's resources and slowly play her way back into basketball shape.

But we could really use another big body. Not a star. Just a grad transfer who wants play on a good team and will accept limited minutes.

Do we have 15 scholarships to give, or is somebody paying their own way?

I think Eniya Russell just announced she’s leaving
I don't know what this means? It wouldn't surprise me considering she didn't play much and I'm sure like most high school star players,she has people in her ear about her sitting on the bench.
Until the post season I was a little worried about Amihere but I think she's buying into the program now. It wouldn't surprised if Wesolek or Littleton decided to leave either.

Last edited:
I don't know what this means? It wouldn't surprise me considering she didn't play much and I'm sure like most high school star players,she has people in her ear about her sitting on the bench.
Until the post season I was a little worried about Amihere but I think she's buying into the program now. It wouldn't surprised if Wesolek or Littleton decided to leave either.

Destiny isn't going anywhere

Just because D Littleton said she will be back doesn't mean anything. Players say that all the time and still leave. ut, like Gamekem said surgeries and injuries may have slowed her down. But, if she does leave Celeste Taylor out of Texas is in the portal.

Bye Russell - we could use that spot.

Last edited:
Not seeing it
She said "2 gone" in the caption and then there was picture of a hoody that said "Thank you if ever believed in me." Personally I still don't see this being an announcement that she's leaving.

Last edited:
Maybe for the best. She’s definitely a long-term project.

Weird time to announce, the team wasn't even back from San Antonio yet.

I hope she's not upset with coach. The advanced stats on Russell were not very good and Dawn continued to give minutes. (Her most minutes came against Tennessee). That's believing in a player.

Weird time to announce, the team wasn't even back from San Antonio yet.

I hope she's not upset with coach. The advanced stats on Russell were not very good and Dawn continued to give minutes. (Her most minutes came against Tennessee). That's believing in a player.
Eniya has a lot of athletic ability but she looks pretty raw. She seemed at times to not have an understanding of team ball so to speak and tried to do too much on her own. She needs a lot of coaching to reach her potential in my opinion.

Eniya has a lot of athletic ability but she looks pretty raw. She seemed at times to not have an understanding of team ball so to speak and tried to do too much on her own. She needs a lot of coaching to reach her potential in my opinion.
I think her limited minutes played a huge role in that. She's still playing high school hero ball, I think she's like a less polished version of Cooke who didn't have the benefit of getting to learn the college game on the court like our sophomores last year, because this team was still figuring out it's identity for most of the season. I think a real heart to heart with Dawn, during their post season conversation, on what she should do to increase her playing time could do her wonders. Our roster should be pretty solid next year, our bench could be good enough to make it to the NCAA tournament on their own if they can connect well.

Every time she got the ball, she would put it up. Still playing me ball. She would foul regularly also. I think she would be a decent ball handler and has a decent jump shot, but as you say, no discipline.

Every time she got the ball, she would put it up. Still playing me ball. She would foul regularly also. I think she would be a decent ball handler and has a decent jump shot, but as you say, no discipline.
As we say in the space business: “All thrust and no guidance.”

I know right? She may have had a green light though. She mostly came in when Zia was out. We didn't have many players who could create their own shot besides Zia and Henderson. I guess that was her role, but she struggled.

Who remembers BCM's freshman year when she would come in and go wild? 😂

Evina Westbrook is returning for UConn.

Maryland: “all four seniors coming back” We just might our shot at them.

Styles,
Lewis,
Bibby,
Benzan

They have four high level interior players plus Beal and possibly Grissette who can easily give minutes at the 4.

They don't need a big body.

Russell leaving would not be a huge surprise, but I thought she looked just fine when she was in there.

They have four high level interior players plus Beal and possibly Grissette who can easily give minutes at the 4.

They don't need a big body.

I assume one of those " high level interior players" is Saxton, who had zero rebounds in 30 minutes of play against Stanford. Saxton's inability to play the 5 is the reason Dawn has to be careful with Boston's and Amihere's minutes. If both get in foul trouble, then we have no other post defender.

So, yes, we could use another big. Like I stated, one content with limited minutes.

Btw, both Lele and Saxton were on the team that got destroyed by Baylor on the boards 2 years ago. Much of our rebounding is trickle down effect from Boston and Amihere being elite rebounders.

Reactions: vacock#
Saxton is a blue collar rebounder. She gets in there and battles and gets the stick back shot. She was a piece of the puzzle. Game against Stanford was very unusual. She and Beal with some work can hit that 10 to 15 footer. The whole team needs to work on making chip shot lay ups. The new girls will probably work their way in.

Saxton is a blue collar rebounder. She gets in there and battles and gets the stick back shot. She was a piece of the puzzle. Game against Stanford was very unusual. She and Beal with some work can hit that 10 to 15 footer. The whole team needs to work on making chip shot lay ups. The new girls will probably work their way in.

She's a "piece of the puzzle" is a good way to put it. She has limitations, but she's a legit power forward. When Texas played a small lineup against us, Saxton posted up her defender and scored in the low post. She's also an overall good defender and especially help defender (where she gets a lot blocks). And, perhaps most impressively, she's a good leader.

I assume one of those " high level interior players" is Saxton, who had zero rebounds in 30 minutes of play against Stanford. Saxton's inability to play the 5 is the reason Dawn has to be careful with Boston's and Amihere's minutes. If both get in foul trouble, then we have no other post defender.

So, yes, we could use another big. Like I stated, one content with limited minutes.

Btw, both Lele and Saxton were on the team that got destroyed by Baylor on the boards 2 years ago. Much of our rebounding is trickle down effect from Boston and Amihere being elite rebounders.
Keep in mind they were freshmen and Baylor had two bigs who were really good and went on to WNBA as high picks. I can’t remember their names but they were both 6’5. Not a fair comparison for two girls at 6’0 and 6’2

Keep in mind they were freshmen and Baylor had two bigs who were really good and went on to WNBA as high picks. I can’t remember their names but they were both 6’5. Not a fair comparison for two girls at 6’0 and 6’2

That's what I'm trying to say. Lauren Cox and Kalani Brown were elite rebounders. Baylor crushed us, twice, that season. The next year, we added Boston. She got 13 rebounds and we outrebound Baylor +14 (Saxton and Lele had 2 rebounds in that game) and we beat them by double digits. So, yeah, we can't expect Saxton and Lele to rebound against elite rebounders.

If we plan on winning a nation title, then we're going to run across a team with excellent rebounders during the tournament. Stanford, for instance. Coach Staley was really hampered last Friday because both Amihere and Boston were in foul trouble. She couldn't afford to play them both at the same time for fear of them fouling out and leaving us with minimal rebounding. At the end of halves, she usually goes with Wesolek when Boston and Amihere have a couple of fouls. Wesolek, though, is not a serious option late in a Final Four game. We needed someone who could hold up on the glass. Like a Sarah Imovbioh type.

Note: I don't believe we've been outrebounded since we lost to Baylor in the tournament two years ago. I know for sure we weren't outrebounded this year. We still outrebounded Stanford by 4 Friday, even with Saxton not contributing. But we really needed to win that stat more decisively. It still blows my mind that skinny Lexie Hull had 13 rebounds against us. 13!

Wesolek is 6’ 1’ and plays forward while some guards are the same size. We need some tall ones.

Reactions: DarkCock
That's what I'm trying to say. Lauren Cox and Kalani Brown were elite rebounders. Baylor crushed us, twice, that season. The next year, we added Boston. She got 13 rebounds and we outrebound Baylor +14 (Saxton and Lele had 2 rebounds in that game) and we beat them by double digits. So, yeah, we can't expect Saxton and Lele to rebound against elite rebounders.

If we plan on winning a nation title, then we're going to run across a team with excellent rebounders during the tournament. Stanford, for instance. Coach Staley was really hampered last Friday because both Amihere and Boston were in foul trouble. She couldn't afford to play them both at the same time for fear of them fouling out and leaving us with minimal rebounding. At the end of halves, she usually goes with Wesolek when Boston and Amihere have a couple of fouls. Wesolek, though, is not a serious option late in a Final Four game. We needed someone who could hold up on the glass. Like a Sarah Imovbioh type.

Note: I don't believe we've been outrebounded since we lost to Baylor in the tournament two years ago. I know for sure we weren't outrebounded this year. We still outrebounded Stanford by 4 Friday, even with Saxton not contributing. But we really needed to win that stat more decisively. It still blows my mind that skinny Lexie Hull had 13 rebounds against us. 13!
Several of their players knew the right time to push.

Wesolek is 6’ 1’ and plays forward while some guards are the same size. We need some tall ones.

We currently have a spot for another player. That could be Lele, I suppose. I haven't seen that possibility ruled out. If not her, then I would think there is some tall girl in the portal who wants to win a title and is willing to accept a limited role.

Of course, there is also the possibility Senia Feagin is a baller from day one and vies for major playing time. I'm just reluctant to expect too much out of a freshman. Better to be pleasantly surprised.

WBB9.jpg

Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT