ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Tanner doesn't have a resume for AD...

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
but he's got an awesome one for coaching NCAA men's baseball. So put him back where he thrives, and go hire a sports administrator to run USC sports. I tell you, I'm full of bright ideas today.

Reactions: brianlafe
but he's got an awesome one for coaching NCAA men's baseball. So put him back where he thrives, and go hire a sports administrator to run USC sports. I tell you, I'm full of bright ideas today.
I posted when he moved over that we might be weakening two positions in one move. You're just posting the same thing in reverse.

We were going to lose Ray as a baseball coach either way... he would have found some smaller school to go be AD. I agree it didn't have to be us but the baseball ship would have sailed either way.

Did he burn out on baseball? Just wanted a change? Of the major coaching positions at the university, it seems like be the least demanding. Not as much recruiting as football. Work Jan- Jun. Fall practice. Opportunity for plenty of vacation time I would assume.

And he was beloved. Game he loves. I just don't remember his motivation for wanting to be an AD and have to deal with all the business and politics which come with it.

Therein lies the problem He does not deal with the problems of management, but instead focuses on fund raising and courting the big donors. Winning is not as important as filling seats and raising cash. Clemson is all about winning and the cash will flow in. The must make a ton just on the royalties from National Champion T-shirts alone while we are out working the restaurant scene with big money people.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I was selfishly disappointed to see Ray move over to AD, but he was qualified for the position. He worked as an associate AD in his tenure at NCSTATE. He oversaw the construction of Founders park. He was highly successful as a coach and had an excellent connection to the alumni. What more could you ask to have on a resume?

Coaching college is an extraordinarily time consuming job. While AD requires many hours the travel is insignificant by comparison. Maybe Ray just wanted to grow professionally and spend more time with his wife and two children. And the previous poster was correct Ray was open for 5 years previous that he eventually wanted to be an AD

Last edited:
Paul Dietzel wanted to be an AD.

Frank McGuire wanted to be an AD.

Jim Carlen wanted to be an AD.

Ray Tanner wanted to be an AD.

Nick Saban has never indicated a desire to be an AD. Yet, he is probably one of the best college football coaches ever.

I want us to hire coaches who want to COACH, and when they tire of that, then let the AD know that they're ready to hang it up . . BEFORE they let a bunch of media types in on their plans.

I spoke out of ignorance and frustration. I didn't know Ray had been an associate AD prior to coaching at USC. So it appears he does have the resume after all. But I hate to see the baseball program slide from back to back National Titles to struggling so much. I still feel like Ray belongs in the dugout, and not behind a desk.

Good for Nick Saban that he only wants to be football coach. He is great at it and maniacally focused. So focused he forgot to vote and renew his drivers liscense. He burns out assistant coaches at incredible rate. He would be a horrible AD.

When Paul Dietzel was head FB coach every head FB in America was AD
Same goes for Carlen
McGuire made his demands to be AD over basketball only as he felt the need to protect his turf.
Tanner was an associate AD at State when he came here. Part of his legacy as coach is Founder's park. The caveat that he gave to coming here was USC had to upgrade stadium and facilities. His insistence on that and working through the AD process is the only reason we are not still at Sarge Frye. He didn't say "Oh I'm just a coach I'll play anywhere you want me to." He engaged the politics in the AD realm and moved the program forward in ways beyond the team on the field

Is there a law that says coaches cannot desire to broaden their knowledge and aspire to be more?
Highly successful People change or adapt their careers everyday. I bet you have.

Even if he had the resume (little bit of experience at NC State), he doesn't have the personality/demeanor.

Love the guy and he is the greatest Gamecock coach of all time, but he wasn't cut out to be an AD.

Even if he had the resume (little bit of experience at NC State), he doesn't have the personality/demeanor.

Love the guy and he is the greatest Gamecock coach of all time, but he wasn't cut out to be an AD.
It wasn't a little bit of experience. You make it sound like he had a paper route for extra money.(showing my age)He worked in the AD office at State for 16 years and as assistant AD at state for 10 years and shouldered many of the primary duties of AD while Jim Valvano was dying of cancer.

Last edited:
What's wrong with giving Tanner a chance to do his job? His tenure will be defined by his hires, Muschamp and Holbrook...Coach Staley is the pride of the University right now..But Tanner inherited her excellence...

I think Muschamp will prove to be a great hire...I think given time BOOM could duplicate Dawns success...There is no doubt in my mind after this weekend that Holbrook is a complete imbecile...We'll see if Tanner has the balls to address that issue in June

Reactions: rogue cock
People forget that Ray did a lot of AD admin work while at NCSU. He did not start from nothing.

Everyone from the compliance guy to the external operations person in an athletic department is an "Associate Athletic Director." It's a throwaway title.

Everyone from the compliance guy to the external operations person in an athletic department is an "Associate Athletic Director." It's a throwaway title.
As I said earlier while Valvano was dying of cancer Ray shouldered many of the primary functions of AD. For Ray it was not a throwaway title

As I said earlier while Valvano was dying of cancer Ray shouldered many of the primary functions of AD. For Ray it was not a throwaway title

I'm not sure what Ray's responsibilities were as a care taker in that situation, so I'll take your word for it.

That said, his tenure as AD here is also part of his resume. That period saw the best baseball program drop from best int he country to third best in the state. The football team got run over by our rival that went on to national championship. It's not looking good.

Reactions: trekcock
Paul Dietzel wanted to be an AD.

Frank McGuire wanted to be an AD.

Jim Carlen wanted to be an AD.

Ray Tanner wanted to be an AD.

Nick Saban has never indicated a desire to be an AD. Yet, he is probably one of the best college football coaches ever.

I want us to hire coaches who want to COACH, and when they tire of that, then let the AD know that they're ready to hang it up . . BEFORE they let a bunch of media types in on their plans.
The first three wanted to coach and be AD. Not a good idea. Notwithstanding the workload, there can be a conflict of interest, and it sure bit USC in the butt from the mid '60s to the early '80s.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
What's wrong with giving Tanner a chance to do his job? His tenure will be defined by his hires, Muschamp and Holbrook...Coach Staley is the pride of the University right now..But Tanner inherited her excellence...

I think Muschamp will prove to be a great hire...I think given time BOOM could duplicate Dawns success...There is no doubt in my mind after this weekend that Holbrook is a complete imbecile...We'll see if Tanner has the balls to address that issue in June

In my opinion, Tanner will not fire Holbrook this year unless he were to fail to make the playoffs period. And even then I am not 100% sure Tanner would fire Holbrook even then. Because if he fired Holbrook that would mean Tanner made a mistake in hiring him. Just my 2 cents.

I don't see Holbrook becoming a top notch college baseball coach. Because he was handed the best baseball program in the nation, in it's Zenith, on a silver platter and yet what has he done with the program?

All this talk about Tanner being an assoc AD at NC State is laughable. First, NC State's all around athletic department was nothing to be proud of. Mediocre teams at best with crap facilities until the city of Raleigh leveraged them to help build the new arena that would be home to State basketball and the new NHL team. I 100% believe our program deserves to hire someone who has a proven track of success actually doing the job (AD....not Assoc AD) at another school. The current AD model is one more patterned after a CEO than coach or simply fundraiser. And the wheels were turning hard on progress for Founders Park by the time Tanner took over as AD. In fact, the restructuring of the entire financial model of Carolina athletics that has led to all our facilities improvements was put in place by Mike McGee and left as a gift for Tanner. Tanner seems to be o with mediocrity. Maybe our fans are too.

Jimmy V was working for abc when he learned of his cancer. And Tanner was never an Associate AD at State (that was Hyman). He had an administrative role but definitely not as an Associate.

This is from The State when Tanner was promoted to AD:

"Some said Tanner was Valvano’s "go-fer." Tanner preferred to be called Valvano’s "valet." Tanner fetched sandwiches for Valvano’s lunch, picked up his clothes at the dry cleaners and even ran signed checks to the bank. Valvano loved the service and the person providing it, but when it came time for Esposito to retire, Valvano insisted in the morning meetings that "I’m not hiring a short, fat guy from Benson, North Carolina. I’ve got to hire a big name."

Valvano, then the N.C. State athletics director, finally approached Tanner about leaving baseball and becoming an athletic administrator. The pay and job security was better, but Tanner was 27 years old and wanted to give coaching a chance."

I don't see any football coach at USC duplicating Dawn's success - 4 straight SEC Regular Season Championships and 3 straight SEC Tournament Championships? We may very well win the national championship this year and we'll be even better next year.

All this talk about Tanner being an assoc AD at NC State is laughable. First, NC State's all around athletic department was nothing to be proud of. Mediocre teams at best with crap facilities until the city of Raleigh leveraged them to help build the new arena that would be home to State basketball and the new NHL team. I 100% believe our program deserves to hire someone who has a proven track of success actually doing the job (AD....not Assoc AD) at another school. The current AD model is one more patterned after a CEO than coach or simply fundraiser. And the wheels were turning hard on progress for Founders Park by the time Tanner took over as AD. In fact, the restructuring of the entire financial model of Carolina athletics that has led to all our facilities improvements was put in place by Mike McGee and left as a gift for Tanner. Tanner seems to be o with mediocrity. Maybe our fans are too.
Tanner chose the location, completely designed, and did all the grunt work to get Founders Park developed and built. It was designed after Baum, the Arkansas stadium. He even went to Arkansas and met with the Baum architects. This was done while still coaching. Mike McGee reneged on a promise to have a new stadium built, and Tanner was about to accept the job at Texas A&M when Dr. Sorensen intervened and told him to build his stadium.

Tanner chose the location, completely designed, and did all the grunt work to get Founders Park developed and built. It was designed after Baum, the Arkansas stadium. He even went to Arkansas and met with the Baum architects. This was done while still coaching. Mike McGee reneged on a promise to have a new stadium built, and Tanner was about to accept the job at Texas A&M when Dr. Sorensen intervened and told him to build his stadium.

Sorry my mistake. I meant to reference Eric Hyman, not Mike McGee. My age is showing. Hyman was AD from 2005-2012 and Founders Park opened in 2009. Hyman was internal in getting this done and I really don't think Tanner "designed" the park.

Sorry my mistake. I meant to reference Eric Hyman, not Mike McGee. My age is showing. Hyman was AD from 2005-2012 and Founders Park opened in 2009. Hyman was internal in getting this done and I really don't think Tanner "designed" the park.
Yes he did...he based it on Baum. It was well publicized at the time. It was also well publicized that Sorensen ordered the athletic department to get it done. He and a Tanner drove around and Sorensen told Ray to point out where he wanted the park.

Yes he did...he based it on Baum. It was well publicized at the time. It was also well publicized that Sorensen ordered the athletic department to get it done. He and a Tanner drove around and Sorensen told Ray to point out where he wanted the park.
Theoretical question. Had USC dragged it's feet at the time and continued to play at The Sarge, would we still be playing there today with no end in site?

no, because they wanted to redevelop all of that land over there.

This is from The State when Tanner was promoted to AD:

"Some said Tanner was Valvano’s "go-fer." Tanner preferred to be called Valvano’s "valet." Tanner fetched sandwiches for Valvano’s lunch, picked up his clothes at the dry cleaners and even ran signed checks to the bank. Valvano loved the service and the person providing it, but when it came time for Esposito to retire, Valvano insisted in the morning meetings that "I’m not hiring a short, fat guy from Benson, North Carolina. I’ve got to hire a big name."

Valvano, then the N.C. State athletics director, finally approached Tanner about leaving baseball and becoming an athletic administrator. The pay and job security was better, but Tanner was 27 years old and wanted to give coaching a chance."

giphy.gif

Odd that Tanner doesn't have the resume to be an AD but some of the fans think they do. Heck, some on here act like coaching so easy a caveman can do it.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT