ADVERTISEMENT

RB Decommit

We offered him a grey shirt and he didn't want it. We are okay with his decommitment. But if you look at Facebook you would think the sky was falling. Some of these sites like Saturday's down south are not doing us any favors at all.

We offered him a grey shirt and he didn't want it. We are okay with his decommitment. But if you look at Facebook you would think the sky was falling. Some of these sites like Saturday's down south are not doing us any favors at all.
The staff has been trying to get him to commit somewhere else for the past month. It's been known that we weren't going to take a RB in this class.

So we don't need a guy wanted by Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, LSU, and on and on. He is one of 5 of our guys who have offers like that. You guys that say we forced him out are wrong. This is a HUGE loss, for his talent and our perception.

So we don't need a guy wanted by Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, LSU, and on and on. He is one of 5 of our guys who have offers like that. You guys that say we forced him out are wrong. This is a HUGE loss, for his talent and our perception.
More important needs in this class...and already have a new RB coming in this year, the transfer from UNC.

I usually stay out of these kinds of threads..But our staff has to be defended here...Bryan did not have committible offers from any of those schools...We accepted his commitment before Tyshon Williams transferred in..Also as the season went along coaches decided to pursue a few very good Dlinemen we were in on..We could add 4 dlinemen to the class on signing day..2 could be high profile flips,if we are fortunate..Mr. Bryan's decision works for both parties..

The Hamsah flip was a big loss and everyone knows it...Especially Coach Boom

I think the fact that Turner and Dowdle did well, coupled with the transfer, a RB take was not as important as it seemed it might be before the season started. It seemed the staff made their intentions clear and early enough as to not leave him hanging. Wish him well.

I don't see the Facebook page, but I will tell you that THIS free Gamecock forum does us much more harm (if anything does) than Saturday Down South.

Look at the kids stats. He didn't even start for his HS team. Some other good backs there though.

Doesn't look good to future recruits when crap like this happens.........make sure of needs before making an offer. And don't tell me all big time schools do this, it makes our reputation stink!!!!!

DUDE PLEASE...WE'LL BE SIGNING ABOUT 20 PER YR...TON'S OF GREAT PROSPECTS IN THE SOUTH

Reactions: GamecockJL
DUDE PLEASE...WE'LL BE SIGNING ABOUT 20 PER YR...TON'S OF GREAT PROSPECTS IN THE SOUTH
Sure..2 & 3* going up against everybody's 4&5*'s. Ever time we offer a kid this question should be asked. Will he help us beat Bama or clemson if not he shouldn't be a take. Take a look at what Bama has comitted 6 fricking 5*'s in their 2017 class.

Ok, so we don't need another RB. We have Dowdle, Turner and an incoming RB transfer. Let's take a look at Dowdle and Turner. They had decent years, but they are not in the same league as Lattimore or Davis. The talent level has dropped significantly, even at positions where we are 'loaded.'

I usually stay out of these kinds of threads..But our staff has to be defended here...Bryan did not have committible offers from any of those schools...We accepted his commitment before Tyshon Williams transferred in..Also as the season went along coaches decided to pursue a few very good Dlinemen we were in on..We could add 4 dlinemen to the class on signing day..2 could be high profile flips,if we are fortunate..Mr. Bryan's decision works for both parties..

The Hamsah flip was a big loss and everyone knows it...Especially Coach Boom
This seems to be the facts... even his post on his decommit said something about what we are offering him now is not in his best interests- clearly we had softened on him... and if the schools @Heyward1 mentioned actually had interest in signing him, he would most likely be be looking at one of those right? Not PITTSBURGH... LMAO

All of that said it gives the press an easy metric to grab onto- a trend of decommits in this class! 7 total is way too many... reminiscent of that last Sourrier class. Scary stuff...

BUT... it is a trend easily forgotten if we replace a few of these flips with quality guys at the last minute by flipping a few of our own... I am a little worried but trying to keep it in perspective. We can judge this class two or three years down the road after we win our first Natty!! ;)

This seems to be the facts... even his post on his decommit said something about what we are offering him now is not in his best interests- clearly we had softened on him... and if the schools @Heyward1 mentioned actually had interest in signing him, he would most likely be be looking at one of those right? Not PITTSBURGH... LMAO

All of that said it gives the press an easy metric to grab onto- a trend of decommits in this class! 7 total is way too many... reminiscent of that last Sourrier class. Scary stuff...

BUT... it is a trend easily forgotten if we replace a few of these flips with quality guys at the last minute by flipping a few of our own... I am a little worried but trying to keep it in perspective. We can judge this class two or three years down the road after we win our first Natty!! ;)

I don't understand why it hurts us...Decommits are commonplace now..It's known that both sides, prospects and coaches are looking for a better deal...A rule of thumb is, IF A KID IS TAKING VISITS AND INVITING OPPOSING COACHES INTO HIS HOME, HE IS NOT COMMITTED

Ok, so we don't need another RB. We have Dowdle, Turner and an incoming RB transfer. Let's take a look at Dowdle and Turner. They had decent years, but they are not in the same league as Lattimore or Davis. The talent level has dropped significantly, even at positions where we are 'loaded.'
Dowdle is the most complete back we've had since Lattimore. He will be better than Davis , Carson, etc... you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I don't understand why it hurts us...Decommits are commonplace now..It's known that both sides, prospects and coaches are looking for a better deal...A rule of thumb is, IF A KID IS TAKING VISITS AND INVITING OPPOSING COACHES INTO HIS HOME, HE IS NOT COMMITTED
Decommits are only part of the problem. The real issue is when a kid decommits the weekend before NSD because he thinks the school misled him.

Decommits are only part of the problem. The real issue is when a kid decommits the weekend before NSD because he thinks the school misled him.
If he thinks the school misled him, he hasn't been listening. This board knew a month ago that we weren't taking a RB commit in this class...and if we knew, he had to know.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Dowdle is the most complete back we've had since Lattimore. He will be better than Davis , Carson, etc... you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
Here's the problem, what if he gets hurt? That cost Bama the game against Clemson, sure they plugged in another 5* after Bo went down. The problem was that 5* wasn't special or a game changer like Bo and their running game stalled. Turner is a good back but if we had to depend on him as an every down back because of injuries we are in trouble.

Then why the he11 did we accept his commit in the first place? Makes us look stupid.

We had earlier threads about this, predicting this, this decommitment is very GOOD news.

We didn't contact this kid regularly for months trying to get him to go elsewhere, and find a better opportunity. The player wants to be a part of our program ok, here is a grey shirt its in the best interest of our program, we got bigger holes elsewhere

He committed April 2016, its not like we got his commitment in November, since then alot has changed.

This is all part of roster management, In 2017 we have 3 soph RB's the staff really loves, Bryant comes in Red shirts, by the time this kid can play in 2020 as RSJR, he is probably graduating or has transfered out and some new better prospect came in.

4 things developed from a RB stand point

1) Dowdle emerged, and is a STUD, you can say he is not Mike Davis, well Davis had 275 yards rushing as a true freshman, but had Lattimore there, Dowdle had 764 yards, a 5.7 yards average and 6 TD's with a much worse OL.

Dowdle missed what 5 games at the start of the season?

Davis Jr year was a let down, I can see Dowdle having a much better career, then Davis

2) They got Williams in practice the transfer from NC, and saw that he will be a contributor and may be the best back on campus.

3) For a redshirt Freshman, Turner had a good year and will continue to develop.

4) Kinlaw is walking on which is another new development, a power 5 talent who needs to no scholly.

4) Red shirted CJ Freemen so you a have a Freshman back on the 2017 roster

We are loaded at RB and do not need a back in this cycle and that is a good thing

The other good thing this means is we are tight on numbers, Bryant was loyal, so here is a gray shirt, not that loyal ok bye.

5) Bryant had a bad senior year, i dont have his stats in front of me but they were very unimpressive, stock down, didnt start.

We are tight on numbers because we are getting a final OT prospect and a bunch of these Defensive Lineman, out of Sterling, Kinlaw, Johnson, Wyatt, Twyman must be coming and I would take all of them over Bryant.

We need lineman folks! not backs

This also could be a sign J Williams is sticking with us

Also if we want Martin who needs the score and will take a little while after signing day, why not change Bryant to a Grey shirt, get some more time to when he will contribute, and take Martin, and if Martin falls through then Bryant can come in earlier then expected.

I would take Martin over Bryant as well, and given the young full RB depth chart Bryant probably never plays here before 2020 and most likely transfers out and is a busted scholly.

Last edited:
Here's the problem, what if he gets hurt? That cost Bama the game against Clemson, sure they plugged in another 5* after Bo went down. The problem was that 5* wasn't special or a game changer like Bo and their running game stalled. Turner is a good back but if we had to depend on him as an every down back because of injuries we are in trouble.

If Dowdle gets hurt Willams gets more carries, we play Williams, Bryant doesn't contribute until 2020, and is long gone by then anyways.

Forget RB. We got to figure out how to keep teams from scoring half a hundred on us

Reactions: Gradstudent
We had earlier threads about this, predicting this, this decommitment is very GOOD news.

We didn't contact this kid regularly for months trying to get him to go elsewhere, and find a better opportunity. The player wants to be a part of our program ok, here is a grey shirt its in the best interest of our program, we got bigger holes elsewhere

He committed April 2016, its not like we got his commitment in November, since then alot has changed.

This is all part of roster management, In 2017 we have 3 soph RB's the staff really loves, Bryant comes in Red shirts, by the time this kid can play in 2020 as RSJR, he is probably graduating or has transfered out and some new better prospect came in.

4 things developed from a RB stand point

1) Dowdle emerged, and is a STUD, you can say he is not Mike Davis, well Davis had 275 yards rushing as a true freshman, but had Lattimore there, Dowdle had 764 yards, a 5.7 yards average and 6 TD's with a much worse OL.

Dowdle missed what 5 games at the start of the season?

Davis Jr year was a let down, I can see Dowdle having a much better career, then Davis

2) They got Williams in practice the transfer from NC, and saw that he will be a contributor and may be the best back on campus.

3) For a redshirt Freshman, Turner had a good year and will continue to develop.

4) Kinlaw is walking on which is another new development, a power 5 talent who needs to no scholly.

4) Red shirted CJ Freemen so you a have a Freshman back on the 2017 roster

We are loaded at RB and do not need a back in this cycle and that is a good thing

The other good thing this means is we are tight on numbers, Bryant was loyal, so here is a gray shirt, not that loyal ok bye.

5) Bryant had a bad senior year, i dont have his stats in front of me but they were very unimpressive, stock down, didnt start.

We are tight on numbers because we are getting a final OT prospect and a bunch of these Defensive Lineman, out of Sterling, Kinlaw, Johnson, Wyatt must be coming and I would take all of them over Bryant.

We need lineman folks! not backs

Also if we want Twyman who needs the score and will take a little while after signing day, why not change Bryant to a Grey shirt, get some more time to when he will contribute, and take Twyman, and if Twyman falls through then Bryant can come in earlier then expected.

I would take Twyman over Bryant as well, and given the young full RB depth chart Bryant probably never plays here before 2020 and most likely transfers out and is a busted scholly.
I get all that about roster management, but then why did we accept his commit so early? Whatever our rationale, it will leave a bad impression on lots of good kids.

I get all that about roster management, but then why did we accept his commit so early? Whatever our rationale, it will leave a bad impression on lots of good kids.

When we took him, we expected his progression to be further in his senior year, and Dowdle was a HS QB making a change to RB with alot of questions, not one of the best freshman backs in the SEC that we know he is and Williams was a Tar Heer, he announced his transfer in June and decision to SC in July, who knew that in April.

Then the season happened, and we need DB's and DL and OT's., not runningbacks,

That is the rationale

Will just say when young men decommit we should really not be lecturing them about the definition of "commitment". It goes both ways.

Reactions: cooper1199
Seriously though, I thought this happened several months ago. It has been said for months we weren't taking a RB in this class.

This happens to every team every year. (How's that...................... Do you think Number1p will be happy with my post?)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT