ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant not in your town that you wish was.

I just wish Shoneys still served the Big Boy Burger.
True story. Long ago when my grandfather was still here we all went. I was in the bathroom and Shoney Bear came bee-boping down the aisle and stopped to wave at our table. Well he got a little close to my grandfather and stayed too long. My grandfather told me to come out of that costume and slapped shoney bear in the side of the head. I came back but the bear didn’t.

Reactions: USCLaw85
In My Pleasant I'm gonna name a few we had but no longer do. Hate that they are gone. Dukes. BK. Hardees. DQ. Ryans. KFC. Shoneys and Capt Ds. That's just the chains off the top of my head.
Man i don,t mean to be critical,but is even one of those even a little bit good....i did like shoneys breakfast bar in the eighties and early nineties but,the rest,come on

I haven't seen a Shoney's in years. Are they even in business today?
Yes Freddie, in Johnson City. It's located in front of Books a Million off North Roan St. next to I26... There's also one in front of the Kingsport Mall as well.

The only Piccadilly Restaurant left that I know of is in the Kingsport Mall....

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I,ve always heard the varsity is great!! Similar to the beacon....
I don't know if I would call it great but the original location downtown is an experience.
Last time I was there was Christmas eve a couple of years ago about 7 pm and it was packed. Hundreds of folks seated and that many more waiting to be served.
I think like many things it is an acquired taste.

Charlie’s Steak House was one of mine and my wife’s favorite places. They were a Greenville tradition and served steaks like Ruth’s Chris, on a hot metal sever.

In the fifties, the Greenville High Red Raiders dined there, if they won their game. They had hot dogs if they lost.

The Peddler is also an interesting place to visit and I agree about their prime rib. It has to be one of the longest, continuously run restaurants in Greenville. Them and the Open Hearth.
is the Peddler in Greenville still open?

Pappadeaux Seafood. It is a small chain. Excellent seafood. Eaten many times at the restaurant in Arlington, Texas. Nearest one to Columbia is in Duluth, Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT