ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant not in your town that you wish was.

As far as Skyline chili is concerned. A good can of Alpo over top of noodles with shredded cheese would emulate it well! Disgusting!
I stand by that comment 100%!!! A few years ago while in Cinci, my curiosity got the best of me 'cause I was seeing all these Skyline Chili signs ALL OVER Cinci!! Like I said, my curiosity suckered me into giving it a try - wasted my $8+/-, and ended up trashing what I'd gotten in the same parking-lot trash can where I bought it!!! That Sh_t was NAS-TEE!!!

We used to drive from Charleston, WV...

My God how'd you actually live there??!!??!! Just askin', just askin'!! Heck, my experience there was/is, unfortunately, based solely on the fact that that's my Ex-BFH's hometown/home area!! Well, actually she was from one of those "Hollers" up'ere in Wet Vagina (i.e. West Virginia)!!! (*v°)

When i was very young I seem to remember a place in Greenville called Mean's? Does this ring a bell for anyone? And also the Pisgah fish camp?

When i was very young I seem to remember a place in Greenville called Mean's? Does this ring a bell for anyone? And also the Pisgah fish camp?

I remember the Pisgah Fish Camp. We use to drive up to Pisgah Forest often, just to eat there.

When we lived in Lancaster, SC we use to eat at the Catawba Fish Camp. It's another good one.

We had one of those in Greer when I was a teenager...

Some folks mentioned restaurants close to my home here in Northeast TN....
Pals...it's good...their mayonaise chilli cheeseburger is good, not beacon good though...https://www.palsweb.com/about

Cootie Browns...people drive from Asheville to get to one of the hippest restaurants in the south...https://www.cootiebrowns.com/
The North Roan St. one is the original and the one I frequent. When I have friends and family up from NC/SC/FL, this is where I take them...
Huge desserts there. Eclectic menu.

Spartanburg sorely needs a good legitimate steak house. Closest one I know of is Halls in Greenville, I would love to have one of those but not sure the Burg could keep it open. We couldn’t support the one Rick Erwin restaurant we finally got....

Reactions: Judson1
Lancaster is, or was, a good working-class town. There has never been an aristocracy or much of an upper crust. Places like Camden, Georgetown, Beaufort, York - those places will support a higher level of dining.
I could be wrong, but I would imagine Camden has fewer middle class and up people than LA based on population. I'm middle class and I go to Camden because of the lack of options in LA. Even the Lugoff House of Pizza (LHOP) puts the other "House of Pizza" restaurants to shame. That's not a case of being upscale, but more of giving people value for their money. It's not a cheapskate mentality.

If you two gentlemen (as-well-as everyone else within this thread!!) have yet to take your better halves to The Mill Pond Steakhouse that's actually located just south of Camden in Boykin, SC (i.e. also more widely known as "The Middle of Nowhere, SC!!), then I HIGHLY recommend such, and guarantee you that your OL's will very much appreciate it - especially if you do so the very evening of your anniversaries!!

I'm dead serious on that, and promise you that you'll appreciate my suggestion!!

If you two gentlemen (as-well-as everyone else within this thread!!) have yet to take your better halves to The Mill Pond Steakhouse that's actually located just south of Camden in Boykin, SC (i.e. also more widely known as "The Middle of Nowhere, SC!!), then I HIGHLY recommend such, and guarantee you that your OL's will very much appreciate it - especially if you do so the very evening of your anniversaries!!

I'm dead serious on that, and promise you that you'll appreciate my suggestion!!
I have not! I've been in Boykin and the Mill Pond is on our list. It's a beautiful place. What did you get that you liked there?

In-n-Out Burger
giphy.gif

I have not! I've been in Boykin and the Mill Pond is on our list. It's a beautiful place. What did you get that you liked there?
Sorry ReelEss, but I just now came across your inquiry!

Again I HIGHLY recommend The Mill Pond, especially for a special get-together!!!

As far as what I suggest or prefer, man ALL THEIR STUFF IS FANTASTIC!! Their steak options are all wonderful, and in all honesty, I can only suggest is that you simply decide for yourself!! I am very certain you will not regret your visit there, nor your own choice of grub!!

Also, and simply as a side note, the following photo from their website is WOAD, the LARGEST GATOR in SC IMHO!!! Certainly within the top 5 by a long shot!! Odds are pretty good that you'll be able to see this thing if your visit occurs during our summer months, while enjoying either a pre or post sit down meal drink right out on their back deck than spans the lake there!!!

20180221_172540.jpg

Reactions: TheReelEss
Sorry ReelEss, but I just now came across your inquiry!

Again I HIGHLY recommend The Mill Pond, especially for a special get-together!!!

As far as what I suggest or prefer, man ALL THEIR STUFF IS FANTASTIC!! Their steak options are all wonderful, and in all honesty, I can only suggest is that you simply decide for yourself!! I am very certain you will not regret your visit there, nor your own choice of grub!!

Also, and simply as a side note, the following photo from their website is WOAD, the LARGEST GATOR in SC IMHO!!! Certainly within the top 5 by a long shot!! Odds are pretty good that you'll be able to see this thing if your visit occurs during our summer months, while enjoying either a pre or post sit down meal drink right out on their back deck than spans the lake there!!!

20180221_172540.jpg
The wife and I decided last night we'll make reservations for our anniversary. We've been meaning to for years and just keep forgetting because the place is off the beaten path. Is a tie and khakis nice enough? I'm not much of a suit guy unless it's a funeral.

Spartanburg sorely needs a good legitimate steak house. Closest one I know of is Halls in Greenville, I would love to have one of those but not sure the Burg could keep it open. We couldn’t support the one Rick Erwin restaurant we finally got....
I went there with my family on a recommendation. I didn't care for it that much. Not to say it wasn't nice. It is VERY nice. I'm just the kind of guy who would rather have a $10 burger than a $40 steak. And they certainly don't have burgers on the menu. So I had a very good shrimp and grits. But while we were there, it was not unusual for 3 people to be attending my little family of 3 at once. And our waiter sent us a thank you note in the mail!!! That was a first.

The wife and I decided last night we'll make reservations for our anniversary. We've been meaning to for years and just keep forgetting because the place is off the beaten path. Is a tie and khakis nice enough? I'm not much of a suit guy unless it's a funeral.
Man you and ya OL will be fine as casual! While there may very well be others there in suits and ties at a more formal get-together, casual will be fine there as well!

And by all means keep us posted as to what you and yours think about The Mill Pond Steakhouse after your own evening there! Heck, I'm anxious to hear your personal opinion of it!!

Man you and ya OL will be fine as casual! While there may very well be others there in suits and ties at a more formal get-together, casual will be fine there as well!

And by all means keep us posted as to what you and yours think about The Mill Pond Steakhouse after your own evening there! Heck, I'm anxious to hear your personal opinion of it!!
I will. But our anniversary isn't until November. LOL

I have been there. It is excellent.

This is true talk, right here. Ask for Bill to wait on you if he’s working. Huge Gamecock fan.

You just made me vomit in my mouth. LOL. All I heard growing up watching mlb was how good the chili was in Cincinnati. Moved to Cincy a few years ago. Went to Skyline, tried one bite of that stuff they call “chili” AWFUL. If you have to dress up chili with noodles or cheese - it ain’t chili. Give me a good Texas fire-kicking chili any day. Skyline and Goldstar aren’t good.

But to each his own.

Does The Chili Pot still exist in Cincinnati?

The Peddler is great. That place has been there for ever

Charlie’s Steak House was one of mine and my wife’s favorite places. They were a Greenville tradition and served steaks like Ruth’s Chris, on a hot metal sever.

In the fifties, the Greenville High Red Raiders dined there, if they won their game. They had hot dogs if they lost.

The Peddler is also an interesting place to visit and I agree about their prime rib. It has to be one of the longest, continuously run restaurants in Greenville. Them and the Open Hearth.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Here in Columbia we could sure use a fish camp like you find around Spartanburg or Gastonia. Forget the overpriced Blue Marlin version on Oak Drive. I miss Jack's Diner in Hilton for their incredible baby catfish and stew. Can't find the baby bone-in catfish at restaurants anymore just the big rubbery muddy tasting filets.

It would be great to have a Trout House ( like the one in Gatlinburg ) in the Midlands.

Skins would do a huge business in Columbia which is devoid of great hotdogs. Folks here haven't discovered steamed buns and what I refer to as upstate chili aka beer joint chili.

Can you imagine a Beacon in 5 Points? You'd never get in the door. I'd settle for an Ike's or New-way in Irmo

Would love to see one of those upstate Greek chains like the Clock or Petes open in Columbia. Their sliced/roast pork BBQ sandwich ( similar to the Beacon's Slice ) is something not found in the Midlands.

FWIW I bought some frozen Skyline Chili at Publix and couldn't get it down. The only time I've been so disappointed was with Dreamland's BBQ ( membrane attached ) ribs.

Used to eat at Jack's Diner many years ago after a day of drinking on Lake Murray near Hilton. They had great fried catfish and done other goodies. Moved to MP in 1985 and never went back there to eat. Then it closed?

I wish we had a Rush's in Greenville.

Or Charleston/Mt Pleasant!!! Grew up on Rush's on Broad River Road. When I attended Columbia High School downtown, had several friends that worked at Rush's. We made our business to go there close to 12:00 AM when they closed. They'd unload some fried chicken on us instead of throwing it out. I had quite a high school year's time!

No idea. If a place says Chili in Cincinnati - I’ve learned to ignore it.

I love Skyline Chili and can totally get down with their chili spaghetti. The catch, of course, is to understand that it's not really chili. I don't know why they call it chili, but it clearly is not. I think it's delicious, but I've known quite a few who just don't care for the taste (my brother said it was dog food). I grew up in the south and have had some great chili. Cincinnati "chili" is just at totally different thing. For a lot of people, it's just getting them over the "chili" hump. Went there with a friend years ago and he was carrying on about how it's not really chili. After a while I just asked "so did you not like it?" and he replied that he thought it was actually pretty good. Once I got him to separate the semantics of it from how it actually tasted, he was good to go.

Whatever you call it, it's a love or hate thing. I've never met anyone personally who was just like "meh" about it. It's either great or disgusting.

Or Charleston/Mt Pleasant!!! Grew up on Rush's on Broad River Road. When I attended Columbia High School downtown, had several friends that worked at Rush's. We made our business to go there close to 12:00 AM when they closed. They'd unload some fried chicken on us instead of throwing it out. I had quite a high school year's time!

Will trade a Columbia Rush's for a Mt Pleasant Cosmic Dog.

I love Skyline Chili and can totally get down with their chili spaghetti. The catch, of course, is to understand that it's not really chili. I don't know why they call it chili, but it clearly is not. I think it's delicious, but I've known quite a few who just don't care for the taste (my brother said it was dog food). I grew up in the south and have had some great chili. Cincinnati "chili" is just at totally different thing. For a lot of people, it's just getting them over the "chili" hump. Went there with a friend years ago and he was carrying on about how it's not really chili. After a while I just asked "so did you not like it?" and he replied that he thought it was actually pretty good. Once I got him to separate the semantics of it from how it actually tasted, he was good to go.

Whatever you call it, it's a love or hate thing. I've never met anyone personally who was just like "meh" about it. It's either great or disgusting.

Have you tried the frozen Skyline Chili from Publix?

Will trade a Columbia Rush's for a Mt Pleasant Cosmic Dog.

Done.

Charlie’s Steak House was one of mine and my wife’s favorite places. They were a Greenville tradition and served steaks like Ruth’s Chris, on a hot metal sever.

In the fifties, the Greenville High Red Raiders dined there, if they won their game. They had hot dogs if they lost.

The Peddler is also an interesting place to visit and I agree about their prime rib. It has to be one of the longest, continuously run restaurants in Greenville. Them and the Open Hearth.

I've eaten at the Peddler and LOVE their Prime Rib. But as long as I lived in Greenville and been around Greenville I have never eaten at the Open Hearth. I heard the food was great.

Reactions: lilburncock

One more comment about the Open Hearth. My cousin took his date to the Open Hearth for their Senior Prom, my cousin is now 79.

Reactions: lilburncock
This may get a lot of laughs but for me one is the Lizards Thicket. I’m a meat n three guy and I just like it.
Come on down to north Augusta!

Another is Skins hotdogs. I hate they closed their Greenwood location as my daughter will be attending Lander this fall. I can eat a dozen of those little things!
I just wish Shoneys still served the Big Boy Burger.

Reactions: Judson1
I haven't seen a Shoney's in years. Are they even in business today?
a few here and there, There is one in Summerville, SC. But their thing now is a buffet style. They discontinued the Big Boy burger many years ago. It was my favorite burger. They used to be known as Shoneys Big Boy, but they changed the name to just Shoneys and got rid of the Big Boy burger when they changed the name, I don't know why they thought they had to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I've eaten at the Peddler and LOVE their Prime Rib. But as long as I lived in Greenville and been around Greenville I have never eaten at the Open Hearth. I heard the food was great.
It's been awhile but it used to be as good as anywhere.

When I lived in Nashville, there was a place called Calypso Cafe. It was so good. I wish we had one in Columbia.

That reminds me. I’d love a Pancake Pantry here in Augusta. Loved that place when we went to Nashville

Reactions: scullman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT