ADVERTISEMENT

Reviewing preseason picks for SEC East

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ks-sec-east-florida-tennessee-worse-expected/

SOUTH CAROLINA
Prediction: 7-5 (4-4 SEC), 3rd in East
Performance: 8-4 (5-3 SEC), 2nd in East

"He won’t get much consideration, but Will Muschamp gets my vote for SEC Coach of the Year for what he’s done in Columbia

Statistically, the Gamecocks didn’t bring much to the table running it, throwing it, stopping the run or stopping the pass. But they were 5-1 in one-score games, including big wins over Tennessee and Florida, which speaks to coaching. USC was also opportunistic with 11 fumble recoveries and 12 interceptions, leading to a turnover ratio of plus-9.

Not to mention the fact that the ‘Cocks lost Deebo Samuel, their No. 1 receiver and ace return man, in Week 3."

Reactions: Cyclone94
..or worse..one miracle and 2 knock downs on final play in endzone
Agreed, but it's like my golf game. I never look for ways it could have been worse, only ways it could have been better. Losing double-digit lead at A&M and not being able to get even one vital first down to get us out of there with a win rankles.

Reactions: DrMickey
Agreed, but it's like my golf game. I never look for ways it could have been worse, only ways it could have been better. Losing double-digit lead at A&M and not being able to get even one vital first down to get us out of there with a win rankles.

a 6-6 team, turned into a 8-4 team

Reactions: Cyclone94
And from my perspective, should have been 9-3. Now, we would have been a little overpriced at 9-3, about like Wisconsin this year, but I hate to leave wins out there.
Let's be honest here. If we don't lay down after the first score against Kentucky too, it's 10-2. Those 2 games still bother me.

But who really thinks we're a 10-2 team? We were 5-1 in one score games, so it evens out in the end.
That doesn't mean I have to like it. 5-1 in one score games does nothing to help your point in my opinion. Shows we know how to win.people keep saying nobody thinks we're a 10-2 team so it makes it ok, but when anyone looks at the record books, they aren't going to see "10-2, but holy crap were they bad and didn't deserve it."

But who really thinks we're a 10-2 team? We were 5-1 in one score games, so it evens out in the end.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Most of those close games were only close because we allow the other team to mount modest comebacks to get within one score. I never had the feeling those games were in any jeopardy. We controlled the games for the most part.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Most of those close games were only close because we allow the other team to mount modest comebacks to get within one score. I never had the feeling those games were in any jeopardy. We controlled the games for the most part.

not sure what games you were watching, against La. Tech, SC needed a miracle catch to set up a last play field goal to win
... 2 other games SC knocked down a pass in end zone at end of game to preserve win.

not sure what games you were watching, against La. Tech, SC needed a miracle catch to set up a last play field goal to win
... 2 other games SC knocked down a pass in end zone at end of game to preserve win.
I said "most", not ALL. However, since you asked, here are the games I watched that we won by one score that I was never really worried about:
1) NC State
2) Vanderbuilt
3) Florida
We controlled those games for the most part. In addition to that, we controlled the UT game. The only reason they were even in the position to have a play was incredibly poor officiating. Bogus penalties got them into the red zone as opposed to their ability to move the ball on our defense and the incredibly poor clock management at the end gave them an extra play.

I said "most", not ALL. However, since you asked, here are the games I watched that we won by one score that I was never really worried about:
1) NC State
2) Vanderbuilt
3) Florida
We controlled those games for the most part. In addition to that, we controlled the UT game. The only reason they were even in the position to have a play was incredibly poor officiating. Bogus penalties got them into the red zone as opposed to their ability to move the ball on our defense and the incredibly poor clock management at the end gave them an extra play.

NC State threw the pass into the end zone on the final play from the 10 yard line trying to tie the game..glad you thought SC had that game in the bag

NC State threw the pass into the end zone on the final play from the 10 yard line trying to tie the game..glad you thought SC had that game in the bag
I really wasn't worried at that point. It was 4th down from the 10yd line. That is a very difficult place to score from on one play and our red zone defense was outstanding.

I really wasn't worried at that point. It was 4th down from the 10yd line. That is a very difficult place to score from on one play and our red zone defense was outstanding.

BTW, they had several shots in the end zone.

BTW, they had several shots in the end zone.
You must be fun at parties with all that wallowing and self hate.
Sure we could be a 6-6 team but we ain't. We could be a 10-2 team and no matter who we beat it would still be a good selling point to recruits. Hey look we went 10 -2 and all we needed was you ...
But no lets just dwell on every single negative possibility that didn't happen..
This is reason i can't go in facebook any longer.

Sorry off the soapbox now. Continue with incessant dogging of all things Carolina. I know it is what makes you happy.

This has to have been one of the craziest years in the history of Gamecock football. We very easily could have been 10-2 or 6-6 - without really being any better or any worse than we are.

Reactions: bosoxcock
A&M outrushed us by 200 yards. You don't win games when there is that kind of disparity in the rushing stats. You just don't. To say "we could have won that game" is wrong. We play that game 10 times, they win 9. The next week they played Bama to a one score game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT