ADVERTISEMENT

Richardson selling the Panthers?

The Carolina Panthers are to be sold upon Jerry Richardson's death. It is stipulated in his will.

As for moving the team to SC, there is zero chance that will happen. There is only one billionaire living in South Carolina, Anitia Zucker. She is a part owner of the Stingrays. Unless she is interested, there is zero chance of that happening, asside from the fact that there are no cities in the state large enough to support an NFL franchise.

Dumb question....just made $93 million in improvements to stadium putting the team and Charlotte in bed together for many years. Even longer than Dablow slept in bed with his mom for three years while in college.

Originally posted by mikey888:
Doubt it....most likely will stay in the family
He put in his will that the team will NOT go to ANYONE in his family. LOL. You couldn't be more wrong.

Hope not, we don't need them. Hope they stay in Charlotte or just dissolve.

Originally posted by ironwolf057:
Here we go again with the idiotic anti-Panthers comments.
When the subject of Panthers and South Carolina come up together, you'll get that every time. The comments put the panthers and South Carolina in the same bed are what's idiotic.

Originally posted by Judge Gaffney:

Here we go again with the idiotic anti-Panthers comments.
When the subject of Panthers and South Carolina come up together, you'll get that every time. The comments put the panthers and South Carolina in the same bed are what's idiotic.
Can't believe anybody is even entertaining that thought.

Originally posted by AtlasShrugged:
The Carolina Panthers are to be sold upon Jerry Richardson's death. It is stipulated in his will.

As for moving the team to SC, there is zero chance that will happen. There is only one billionaire living in South Carolina, Anitia Zucker. She is a part owner of the Stingrays. Unless she is interested, there is zero chance of that happening, asside from the fact that there are no cities in the state large enough to support an NFL franchise.
Darla Moore!

Hope not. Let them stay in Charlotte and rename the team "charlotte panthers".
I still don't understand the dislike of the Panthers. Anyone care to explain?

Originally posted by NC_cock_fan:

Many people are delusional and think that the Panthers should have been located in SC, even though Charlotte is a border city and happens to be the biggest city between the two Carolinas. Those same people would also rather pull for teams nowhere near them, like the Cowboys and Redskins and yankee teams like the Packers and Steelers.

Many people are delusional and think that the Panthers should have been located in SC, even though Charlotte is a border city and happens to be the biggest city between the two Carolinas. Those same people would also rather pull for teams nowhere near them, like the Cowboys and Redskins and yankee teams like the Packers and Steelers.
Yeah, If you're going to build a franchise in this TV market THE ONLY city that makes sense is Charlotte. Nobody is dumping the money into building a franchise in Columbia, Greenville or Charleston. That would be moronic. And the reason they played in Clemson the first year is because McGee wouldn't let them play here. Richardson is on record saying this team is for The Carolinas (plural), and he had soil shipped from every country in both states to put on the field and symbolically back up his statement.

I'm from SC, but South Carolinians, especially older folks, have a little man complex and think every person is out to get them or take away their stuff and every decision made is directly meant to harm the state. It's really pretty funny.

I believe part of the gripe that a lot of people have is that the stadium was originally supposed to be built close to the border and then the city of charlotte changed their minds and wanted to put it in the city.....living in charlotte I think that a lot of the hate is overblown by people who aren't able to see their Falcons or Redskins on the reg anymore...please somebody correct me if I'm wrong here...that's been a while ago and I was young at the time
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I never had an issue with them being in Charlotte. Did you expect them to play in Rock Hill or Fort Mill? Charlotte makes sense. They're still my favorite NFL team.

You are right about that complex. South Carolina does a great job of holding itself back unfortunately. Up until the mid 80s there really wasn't that much difference between Charlotte and columbia but they aren't even vaguely similar today. Now I love columbia, wish I lived there, but I hate that my home state and my favorite city have not prospered like Charlotte. Most people say Charlotte succedded so wildly due to its airport but I also think betters vision and much better leadership made the difference.

They did say when they started that they intended to build the stadium near Carowinds with the state line at the 50 yd line. A total lie. JR just needed the total support from the surrounding cities of Charlotte like Greenville, Columbia, Winston, Greensboro, etc., to have the local numbers needed for the NFL to approve a new franchise. After that, with the exception of his giving back to his dear Wofford, there has been little presence by the Panthers anywhere but downtown Charlotte. I could personally care less what happens to them.

As far as JR selling the team. That may happen. But unless things have changed, I doubt it trickles down to the family. Things may have been brought back together, but there was a pretty big riff a few years back, about the time JR had his heart issues. So bad that his sons were fired from the organization. Rumor had it that while they had control during his illness that they were actually trying to orchestrate a sale at that point, or to at least have a sale in place if he didn't make it through his health problems. JR can sell it, or take it to the grave with him, or move it to LA. I could care less.

I'm a packers ran simply because of Robert brooks and sterling sharpe. Got no problem with the panthers but they weren't around when I got into football

^
The Panthers weren't around when I got into football either but Sharpe and Brooks don't play for Green Bay anymore so I root for the Panthers. Rodgers is my favorite qb in the league though.

This post was edited on 2/28 2:43 PM by sclawman77

Originally posted by olcoach04:
They did say when they started that they intended to build the stadium near Carowinds with the state line at the 50 yd line. A total lie. JR just needed the total support from the surrounding cities of Charlotte like Greenville, Columbia, Winston, Greensboro, etc., to have the local numbers needed for the NFL to approve a new franchise. After that, with the exception of his giving back to his dear Wofford, there has been little presence by the Panthers anywhere but downtown Charlotte. I could personally care less what happens to them.

As far as JR selling the team. That may happen. But unless things have changed, I doubt it trickles down to the family. Things may have been brought back together, but there was a pretty big riff a few years back, about the time JR had his heart issues. So bad that his sons were fired from the organization. Rumor had it that while they had control during his illness that they were actually trying to orchestrate a sale at that point, or to at least have a sale in place if he didn't make it through his health problems. JR can sell it, or take it to the grave with him, or move it to LA. I could care less.
Jerry Richardson loves his dear Wofford because his Wofford experience had a significant bearing on where he is today .Growing up the son of a barber in a small country town near Fayetteville, NC, he and quarterback Charlie Bradshaw lit up the scoreboard in the 1950s with a strong passing attack. Richardson played college football as a receiver at 187 pounds, and was drafted by the Baltimore Colts, when Wofford was even much smaller than it is today.(He and John Unitas were roommates when the Colts were traveling). Richardson and teammate from Wofford Bradshaw became good friends and started a business together named Hardees.

The story goes that Richardson had a great game against our Gamecocks, who had to come from behind to win 26-13 over Wofford. I was told that Richardson was catching passes that day while being covered by three defenders, that game being played in the late 50s.

I know that you have heard all of this, but I couldn't resist responding.

Originally posted by 67gamecock:
THIS ^^^^^^^!!!!!
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by olcoach04:

The Panthers do their spring drills at Wofford every year. Guess the team is still anti-SC.

The thing I really don't like about the Panthers is how artificial they seem. Everything about the team, from the name to players to the marketing, just seems fake. Nothing about it feels authentic, like with the Packers or the Bears or the 49ers. It feels like a bland, generic, manufactured product that was invented out of thin air, rather than something that just happened over time. They're completely faceless and have no "character" that sets them apart.

Even so, that's not enough to make me hate them, only enough to make me feel ambivalent. And if you wait long enough, eventually that complaint will go away (they have to amass some history and personality, after all). What makes me hate them is how a bunch of damn Yankees arbitrarily decided that I should like the NFL, then arbitrarily invented a team out of thin air for me to like, then lied to me through their teeth to do it. The whole thing was forced down my throat in an attempt by the NFL to pry open my wallet.

The only people the Panthers really serve are all the damn Yankees who live in Charlotte (same as in Atlanta), and most of them stick with the teams they brought with them.

I don't get the hate either. Charlotte is actually closer to most major cities in SC than NC.

Wrong! I was born and raised in Aiken,SC and graduated from USC in '91. I was a season ticket holder for the first 15 years of their existence and every single time I went to a game, I noticed a SC state flag flying in the endzone. You don't see that at any other venue in the NBA, MLB, NHL. When I attended the games, the people there talked like me and knew where Columbia and other cities within SC are located. I had to give up my season tickets due to a divorce or I would still own them.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT