ADVERTISEMENT

Right now the mortality rate of this is at 1.2% in the USA. If this keeps going down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The below site seems pretty accurate and up to date if you compare it with other sites, and they cull data from state health departments, CDC,WHO etc..
So 12,716 deaths in the US with 394,182 cases is about a 3.2% death rate.
I think it's lower because of the well discussed lack of testing, asymptomatic cases et al not factored in. But that's offset just a bit by deaths attributed to other causes. All skewed in this country by New York state's death rate spiraling due to overtaxing of their healthcare infrastructure.

Pinning down the exact mortality rate of this thing is a chore.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

You can dispute and spin the numbers in whatever way fills your sentimental heart with joy, until the cows come. But what cannot be disputed is that many of us in the United States, including here in South Carolina, are walking around with masks on as if we are in a Rod Serling TV scene of "The Twilight Zone". And that's NOT GOOD. I don't recall that ever happening here.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The deaths from Coronavirus in the U.S. just passed that from Swine Flu. The Richmond, Virginia Federal Reserve Bank President says the economic downturn will be "deep".

Calls into question what constitutes a death from coronavirus.
And the same from swine flu as well. I imagine some older folks getting so worked up from finding out they have the virus that it triggers a heart attack or something else. Technically then, the virus did not kill them but i dont think many people will be concerned with the exact cause as many will be by default.

Many are using numbers and percentages as a tool to spin into their political argument.
The only number that counts is 1.
If you get it or any of your loved ones or close friends gets the virus that number (1) is the only one that is going to matter to you.

If you have an underlying comorbidity, even age, but it is COVID19 that compromises you to the point of death, then yes COVID19 is the "cause of death".
Same as with flu. Same as with pneumonia. Same as with any opportunistic disease.

Not what I'm referring to. Officials have stated that they are classifying those who die but are only presumptively positive for covid-19 as covid-19 deaths. That confounds the numbers dramatically.

Further, by Dr. Birx own words, the United States has a "very liberal" approach to recording covid-19 deaths. ANYONE who dies while testing positive for covid-19 is classified as a covid-19 death, no matter the cause. She said: “There are other countries, that if you have a pre-existing condition, and let’s say the virus called you to go to the ICU (intensive care unit) and then have a heart or kidney problem,” she explained. “Some countries are recording that as a kidney issue, or a heart issue, and not a COVID-19 death.”

She freely acknowledges that people with covid-19 who die from an unrelated health issue are nonetheless recorded as covid-19 deaths. This, of course, is a pretty radical departure from how you would normally ascribe cause of death. She admits then that our numbers are inflated, but we'll never know by how much.

For these reasons, and many others, we'll never know the true mortality rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: kidrobinski
Not what I'm referring to. Officials have stated that they are classifying those who die but are only presumptively positive for covid-19 as covid-19 deaths. That confounds the numbers dramatically.

Further, by Dr. Birx own words, the United States has a "very liberal" approach to recording covid-19 deaths. ANYONE who dies while testing positive for covid-19 is classified as a covid-19 death, no matter the cause. She said: “There are other countries, that if you have a pre-existing condition, and let’s say the virus called you to go to the ICU (intensive care unit) and then have a heart or kidney problem,” she explained. “Some countries are recording that as a kidney issue, or a heart issue, and not a COVID-19 death.”

She freely acknowledges that people with covid-19 who die from an unrelated health issue are nonetheless recorded as covid-19 deaths. This, of course, is a pretty radical departure from how you would normally ascribe cause of death. She admits then that our numbers are inflated, but we'll never know by how much.

For these reasons, and many others, we'll never know the true mortality rate.

Looks like the numbers are not accurate. Looks like some may be left out.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-new-york-city-surge-they-may-really-n1179286

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...d67982-747e-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/10/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-death-count.html

Who is being included in the death count?

Mr. Cuomo said on Wednesday that the official death count numbers presented each day by the state are based on hospital data. Our most conservative understanding right now is that patients who have tested positive for the virus and die in hospitals are reflected in the state’s official death count.

The city has a different measure: Any patient who has had a positive coronavirus test and then later dies — whether at home or in a hospital — is being counted as a coronavirus death, said Dr. Oxiris Barbot, the commissioner of the city’s Department of Health.
“To date, we have only been recording on people who have had the test,” she said on Thursday morning.
So who isn’t being counted?
A staggering number of people are dying at home with presumed cases of coronavirus, and it does not appear that the state has a clear mechanism for factoring those victims into official death tallies.

In the last three days, 766 people were found dead in their homes, bringing the total for the first eight days of April to 1,891, according to the city’s medical examiner’s office. It’s likely that many have not been counted in the current tally.
Paramedics are not performing coronavirus tests on those they pronounce dead. Recent Fire Department policy says that death determinations on emergency calls should be made on scene rather than having paramedics take patients to nearby hospitals, where, in theory, health care workers could conduct post-mortem testing.

It is almost impossible to say how many of those 1,125 patients who died at home or in street in the first five days of April had coronavirus — some may have been previously tested before their death and either were never admitted to a hospital or had been sent home.

But the discrepancy between the Fire Department numbers from this year, at the height of the epidemic, compared with those of last year suggests that many of those who died probably were infected.

“The driver of this huge uptick in deaths at home is Covid-19. And some people are dying directly of it, and some people are dying indirectly of it, but it is the tragic ‘X’ factor here,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio on Thursday.

• Help us report in critical moments.
Subscribe today to support The Times

“To date, we have only been recording on people who have had the test,” she said on Thursday morning.

merlin_171406170_3879e84f-9b4e-4093-9098-68c5c28e4b97-articleLarge.jpg

Mark D. Levine
@MarkLevineNYC

·
Apr 5

Normally in NYC 20-25 people die at home each day. We are now at 200-215. Every day. For sure nearly all the increase is people w/ coronavirus. But not all are being counted that way. One reason that the official NYC covid death count--already high--is certainly an undercount.

Mark D. Levine
@MarkLevineNYC

Only people who die at home who are known to have a *positive coronavirus test* have the disease listed as the official cause on their death certificate. We know there are many others going uncounted.

Last edited:
Reactions: howard13
Perhaps. They admit it's based on assumption though. So who knows?

What we do know for certain is that folks who die of something other than covid-19 are being classified as covid-19 deaths.

This is untrue. This is NOT fact. This is conservative conspiracy being put out with zero corroborating evidence or fact.

The fact is, that ONLY deaths of persons confirmed to have COVID-19 as the primary role is listed. Other deaths that had pre-existing conditions and that was determined to have COVID-19, COVID-19 is listed as a probable cause, but in all cases the other pre-existing conditions are also listed as well:

Sally Aiken, the president of the National Association of Medical Examiners, called the allegation “ridiculous.”

“Death certificates are basically federal, and each state has a public health division that answers to the CDC [U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] for death certification,” Aiken, the Spokane County, Washington, medical examiner, told us in an email. “For all practical purposes death certification is directed by the feds, via health departments.”

Contrary to the Facebook posts, Aiken said, “Medical Examiners and Coroners certify hundreds to thousands of deaths each year, using investigation, autopsies, and medical tests as required, and do not choose a ‘default diagnosis’ such as COVID-19.”

Aiken pointed out that CDC offers guidance to public health officials on the certification of COVID-19 deaths. The latest guidance was issued April 2.

“If COVID–19 played a role in the death, this condition should be specified on the death certificate. In many cases, it is likely that it will be the [underlying cause of death], as it can lead to various life-threatening conditions, such as pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS),” the guidance says. “In these cases, COVID-19 should be reported on the lowest line used in Part I with the other conditions to which it gave rise listed on the lines above it.”

The CDC advises that officials should report deaths in which the patient tested positive for COVID-19 — or, if a test isn’t available, “if the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty.” It further indicates that if a “definitive diagnosis cannot be made … but it is suspected or likely … it is acceptable to report COVID-19 on a death certificate as ‘probable’ or ‘presumed.'

One hypothetical example cited by the CDC is an 86-year-old woman dying after exhibiting symptoms such as a high fever, severe cough, and difficulty breathing, “after being exposed to an ill family member who subsequently was diagnosed with COVID-19.” The CDC says that “probable COVID-19” may be listed as the underlying cause of death — a deduction made “given the patient’s symptoms and exposure to an infected individual.”

This is what that Arizona Doctor/politician Scott Jensen went viral over on Fake Fox News, that most of all this conspiracy is about. That Doctor implied that the CDC guidelines told him to list COVID-19 as the UNDERLYING cause of death. The CDC guidelines say NO SUCH THING. Doctors are given federal death certificate documents that allow for multiple role actors in a patients' death, with the main cause as the UNDERLYING cause. All the guidelines do, is give room for an attending physician's own personal expertise in determining the role players of a patient's death, that the CDC can't possibly be privy to. So they allow for the addition of COVID-19 as a role player to that death - NOT as the UNDERLYING CAUSE - if that doctor feels it should be added.

This quack republican doctor tried to frame the CDC guidelines as telling him to make COVID-19 as the UNDERLYING cause even if it only has the slightest of role, but THAT WAS A LIE.

The CDC guidelines do not say anything like that, and he is supposed to be doctor, so he's supposed to understand that. But Laura Ingraham and Fox News do not care about the truth any more than Trumptards do....

Many are using numbers and percentages as a tool to spin into their political argument.
The only number that counts is 1.
If you get it or any of your loved ones or close friends gets the virus that number (1) is the only one that is going to matter to you.

Sadly this may be the only thing that changes some people’s opinions and sometimes I wonder if some people are so stubborn that it still wouldn’t.

Perhaps. They admit it's based on assumption though. So who knows?

What we do know for certain is that folks who die of something other than covid-19 are being classified as covid-19 deaths.

Lets say my brother who has copd, if he gets the virus and dies, What would you claimed he died of, copd or the virus?

Lets say my brother who has copd, if he gets the virus and dies, What would you claimed he died of, copd or the virus?
It’s not COPD, that’s in question. It’s all the pneumonia deaths, and all the heart attacks that are now specifically Corona deaths.

It’s not COPD, that’s in question. It’s all the pneumonia deaths, and all the heart attacks that are now specifically Corona deaths.

Would've they died if they didn't get corona? no of knowing.I would have to assume you would have to label the cause of death corona if you had it when you died, Or just like other deaths, "from complications from"

It will take months to know the true number of deaths. IMO, the thing to look at will be number of deaths, per capita, in March, April, May, etc. 2020 versus the average number in the same month over that previous few years. This comparison would give us the best idea of deaths hastened by COVID-19.

No spinning in the world can deflect from the fact that we, here in the U.S., are in a world of hurt due to this coronavirus. We have medical personnel begging for more medical supplies. We have far more confirmed cases and deaths due to coronavirus than our share of the population. We have health care experts arguing against doing away with the lockdown, in a few weeks. Even those who have the virus and have to go into ICU and recover, for many there will be long-term physical problems, primarily lung damage such as ARDS and lung fibrosis. Also, heart damage can result. These are scary times.

Facts

US has more COVID-19 deaths than any country in the WORLD.
The Boston Convention Center has been turned into an emergency COVID-19 hospital.
NYC is preparing to dig temporary graves in Central Park.
American nurses are wearing trash bags and making their own medical masks.

Fact:

It is going to take a while to clean up the mess Hussein Obama left this country in.

What kind of stupid ass comment is this? U do realize that he is 3 years removed dont you? Blame your shit on something that has teeth. I am not defending past president but you guys gotta stop blaming others.
Unless it's Trump you are blaming. If that's the case, cool.

What kind of stupid ass comment is this? U do realize that he is 3 years removed dont you? Blame your shit on something that has teeth. I am not defending past president but you guys gotta stop blaming others.

Hussein Obama made America irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Looking at the stats, we men should stay home and send the women out to do everything we need done. Killing more guys than gals.

Oddly, In my area with a huge death rate (82 deaths in two county metro of about 100,000) 80% of the deaths are women. More precisely elderly black women.

Single mom who just lost her job: "I don't know how long I can stay home and still feed my kids and heat my house. When will I be able to go back to work?"

Retired guy drawing a pension and social security: "You just want your grandma to die, you monster!"

She qualifies for unemployment at about 800 bucks a week for 39 weeks even if she wasn’t making that much working

Unless it's Trump you are blaming. If that's the case, cool.
I dont really blame anyone because i am not sure anyone could truly prepare for the invisible enemy. However, if Trump has the nuts to blame past admin for leaving us unprepared then why is he not to blame for not getting us prepared? He clearly states Obama did this, that and the other and indicates he and his team knew we weren’t prepared so why did we not get prepared over the past 3 years?

Maybe I missed a previous thread in this question. What is the normal daily or monthly fatality rate in America pre covid and current?

Reactions: vacock#
Maybe I missed a previous thread in this question. What is the normal daily or monthly fatality rate in America pre covid and current?

Probably not much different. Older folks dying from c19 had issues that would have killed many of them anyway. Traffic fatalities have lessened.

I dont really blame anyone because i am not sure anyone could truly prepare for the invisible enemy. However, if Trump has the nuts to blame past admin for leaving us unprepared then why is he not to blame for not getting us prepared? He clearly states Obama did this, that and the other and indicates he and his team knew we weren’t prepared so why did we not get prepared over the past 3 years?

youre_welcome_obama.gif

Your post says y'all have to stop blaming other people. In your next post you blame Other people. All I'm saying is practice what you preach.js

Your post says y'all have to stop blaming other people. In your next post you blame Other people. All I'm saying is practice what you preach.js
I’m not blaming Trump. BUT, if he sticks with plans to blame Obama, he better put on his granny panties and explain the opposite.

Reactions: Rollerdude123
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT