ADVERTISEMENT

Right now the mortality rate of this is at 1.2% in the USA. If this keeps going down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad seed

Oct 17, 2018
...and gets to, say, 0.006%, which is half of what it is presently, would you support returning to normal as a society?

Also, the current mortality rate must be lower than the 1.2% that we know of because of those that had it and never knew it was Covid-19.

Reactions: JOEFANATIC
The more we've tested, the lower the mortality rate has gone. That was predictable. The mortality rate in Italy is surely much lower than reported as well, as their test is horribly inaccurate.

...and gets to, say, 0.006%, which is half of what it is presently, would you support returning to normal as a society?

Also, the current mortality rate must be lower than the 1.2% that we know of because of those that had it and never knew it was Covid-19.

Half of what it is presently would be 0.6% - still six times more deadly than the flu. If it dropped to close to flu death rates - I think we get close to normal. Though it would still be much deadlier than the flu if we did nothing as it is much more contagious; and the hospitals would still be in a state of emergency because even if it doesn't kill people, so many still need treatment to stay alive. So now I don't know.

It's also logical to assume the mortality rate will grow as the healthcare system in a given area becomes overwhelmed. No doubt, many have died in Italy who could have been saved under normal circumstances. This is as true for someone who went to the hospital with terrible covid19 symptoms as well as somebody who went there with a heart attack or was rushed there after a bad car accident. When you arrive at a hospital that cant help you, the death rates will rise regardless of the illness. I suspect the final mortality rates in the US will vary considerably, based on the geographic area.

I would be for a refined quarantine. Example, the large at risk population would have to still follow guidelines of today. Also, it would depend on the region, for sure I don't think NYC is anywhere close to being ready to return to normal.

Bottom line certain age groups and certain areas of our country could return to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1

Mortality rate isn't an issue now because the numbers are manageable. If this thing continues to grow, the mortality rate will go up drastically if we don't get more medical supplies / ventilator etc.

Reactions: funktavious
Mortality rate isn't an issue now because the numbers are manageable. If this thing continues to grow, the mortality rate will go up drastically if we don't get more medical supplies / ventilator etc.
Looking at the stats, we men should stay home and send the women out to do everything we need done. Killing more guys than gals.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
There are currently 685 deaths and 52,983 confirmed cases. That is a 1.29% mortality rate. The issue that is often left off is the 13% hospitalization rate in the US which is 6,888 people. Of the 52,983, 28,506 were confirmed in the last 3 days. The median days from signs of first symptoms to death has averaged 14 days. Even accounting for people not being tested until half of this time frame means the worst is yet to come with regard to the number of new deaths per day. The mortality rate is highly concentrated into the older Americans so there needs to be a very targeted plan.

I noticed that as well and wondered why.

I heard some experts report on this issue and none really knew for sure. Some explainations were men smoke more, men take more chances than women (go out more often) and men work more than women. But no one knows for sure at this point. It could simply be that there is a physiology difference in men and women.

EDIT: It could be there is a difference in the immune systems of men and women.

Last edited:
I heard some experts report in on this issue and none really knew for sure. Some explains were men smoke more, men take more chances than women (go out more often) and men work more than women. But no one knows for sure at this point. It could simply be that there is a physiology difference in men and women.

If you are a man but identify as a woman the virus will leave you alone.

I heard some experts report in on this issue and none really knew for sure. Some explains were men smoke more, men take more chances than women (go out more often) and men work more than women. But no one knows for sure at this point. It could simply be that there is a physiology difference in men and women.
News to me.

Believe the reason is b/c the virus attacks/docks at ACE2. Men are dying at a higher rate because they have more ACE2 in their trachea, lungs, and heart.

Reactions: Champs_16

You must mean .6% which would be 6x worse than the flu. That's a huge problem for our healthcare system.....Couple this with the approximate 3x infection rate vs. flu, it's a perfect storm...Unfortunately, we're kindof at the beginning of this and likely need some form of reliable treatment before much subsides.

Last edited:
You must mean .6% which would be 6x worse than the flu. That's a huge problem for our healthcare system.....Couple this with the approximate 3x infection rate vs. flu, it's a perfect storm...Unfortunately, we're kindof at the beginning of this and likely need some form of reliable treatment much subsides.

What do you think of this treatment they just began testing in New York? Does it have promise?

What do you think of this treatment they just began testing in New York? Does it have promise?

The Blood Plasma Treatment ~ most definitely. Researchers at Johns Hopkins have been advocating for it....They will probably be testing on the worse cases for awhile but alot of upside and little downside if it flies.

Reactions: Bad seed
There are currently 685 deaths and 52,983 confirmed cases. That is a 1.29% mortality rate. The issue that is often left off is the 13% hospitalization rate in the US which is 6,888 people. Of the 52,983, 28,506 were confirmed in the last 3 days. The median days from signs of first symptoms to death has averaged 14 days. Even accounting for people not being tested until half of this time frame means the worst is yet to come with regard to the number of new deaths per day. The mortality rate is highly concentrated into the older Americans so there needs to be a very targeted plan.

13% hospitalization rate doesn't tell us much, as until the past day or two only the most severe cases were even tested. So really all that it tells us is that 13% of patients with severe symptoms are hospitalized. This number will almost certainly go down with more tests administered.

I do not attach to either party but let me ask this question:

How many people wanting to “get back to work” are also “pro life?” Hard to take the pro life stance when you are willing to sacrifice your parents and grandparents for the economy.

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
13% hospitalization rate doesn't tell us much, as until the past day or two only the most severe cases were even tested. So really all that it tells us is that 13% of patients with severe symptoms are hospitalized. This number will almost certainly go down with more tests administered.

I was on a call hosted by Goldman Sachs today where they said there are 13,000 people in hospitals on ventilators. We will run out of ventilators soon and the death rate will go up pretty substantially. The Atlanta mayor said today we are out of beds in our critical care units. If people can’t get the care they need, this death rate will ratchet up dramatically. Unfortunately this thing is growing faster than your numbers suggest.

I must have missed something in this thread. The numbers i am seeing reported by many sources does not indicate AT ALL the fall in the mortality rate over cases reported. In simple math the mortality rate is increasing each day in the US and has been for over 1 week. Last week, we were at 1.178% death over confirmed cases. Today we are sitting at 1.421.

I do not attach to either party but let me ask this question:

How many people wanting to “get back to work” are also “pro life?” Hard to take the pro life stance when you are willing to sacrifice your parents and grandparents for the economy.

Single mom who just lost her job: "I don't know how long I can stay home and still feed my kids and heat my house. When will I be able to go back to work?"

Retired guy drawing a pension and social security: "You just want your grandma to die, you monster!"

The mortality rate has increased over the last 2 days. Doesn't yet show enough of a trend with such a small sample size, but most are predicting that as the # of tests increase, the # of confirmed cases will rise (it's currently already happening), but then there should be a period of where the daily # of cases peak and then plateau, but the # of daily deaths will continue to rise, thus increasing the mortality rate....

Jack West has passed away from the virus. He lived in Camden and was a community leader. Very well respected. His dad was former Governor John West. He was 71.

I found out this evening another person that I have communicated with over the years on another website has the virus in Columbia and is on a ventilator and is presently suffering organ failure. Obviously the condition is critical.

Like 150 people died in NYC from this virus just today. We need to give it another month. Stay the hell away from people.Clean your hands and keep disinfectant with you. I live in a six unit building. I clean all the door knobs and banisters with Lysol everr other day, even my car door handles and the steering wheel should I need to get groceries. Right before I leave I wash my hands 20 seconds using soap rubbing them because the soap and friction kills the virus. I also wash them immediately after coming home. I am what you'd call the opposite of germaphobe. After this, not quite a germaphobe, but careful. That said, a month from now, people need to be CAREFULLY going back to work or else we're all screwed.

I was on a call hosted by Goldman Sachs today where they said there are 13,000 people in hospitals on ventilators. We will run out of ventilators soon and the death rate will go up pretty substantially. The Atlanta mayor said today we are out of beds in our critical care units. If people can’t get the care they need, this death rate will ratchet up dramatically. Unfortunately this thing is growing faster than your numbers suggest.

This is what I am reading as well. We just don't have the hospital capacity. As this virus works it's way into vulnerable populations that number of deaths, and the mortality rate, is going to go up not down. Based on the current numbers it has inched up to 1.4%.

Single mom who just lost her job: "I don't know how long I can stay home and still feed my kids and heat my house. When will I be able to go back to work?"

Retired guy drawing a pension and social security: "You just want your grandma to die, you monster!"

luckily I’m neither one. But if you’re the small government guy I doubt you believe government should intervene to help single mom.

This corresponds with something my sister, an RN at a hospital, told me last week. She suspects more than is being reported too.

In California, one ER doctor who works at multiple hospitals in a hard-hit county told BuzzFeed News, “those medical records aren't being audited by anyone at the state and local level currently and some people aren’t even testing those people who are dead.”

“We just don't know. The numbers are grossly under-reported. I know for a fact that we’ve had three deaths in one county where only one is listed on the website,” the doctor said.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I would be for a refined quarantine. Example, the large at risk population would have to still follow guidelines of today. Also, it would depend on the region, for sure I don't think NYC is anywhere close to being ready to return to normal.

Bottom line certain age groups and certain areas of our country could return to normal.
Just no. Younger people would all be carriers within weeks, some of who would get very sick with potentially permanent damage. This is a bad idea.

Me when I see a post from an ignored member
giphy.gif

Just no. Younger people would all be carriers within weeks, some of who would get very sick with potentially permanent damage. This is a bad idea.

I guess some are ready to kill off some of the last remaining heroes from World War 2 in order to get back to business as usual.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT