ADVERTISEMENT

Right On, Urban!

bdblack

Mar 29, 2002
I'm not an Urban Meyer fan, but he is dead right about coaches blaming their present woes on the previous regime's sorry recruiting or lack of discipline. Herman did it last weekend, with the "sprinkling pixie dust" sound bite. As Meyer correctly points out, good luck getting your players to buy into what you're selling as you're tossing them under the bus, while waiting for "your guys" to get there. If a coach signs a multi-year contract for millions, that is now his team. It might be OK to think it, but better not voice it in a press conference. Interestingly, Herman once worked for Meyer.

Last edited:
Reactions: GC2020
I'm not an Urban Meyer fan, but he is dead right about coaches blaming their present woes on the previous regime's sorry recruiting or lack of disciple. Herman did it last weekend, with the "sprinkling pixie dust" sound bite. As Meyer correctly points out, good luck getting your players to buy into what you're selling as you're tossing them under the bus, while waiting for "your guys" to get there. If a coach signs a multi-year contract for millions, that is now his team. It might be OK to think it, but better not voice it in a press conference. Interestingly, Herman once worked for Meyer.
Remember that Meyer also took a shot at Champ for doing a similar thing when he took over at Florida. Don't like Urban much but he is dead-on.

Reactions: bdblack
Screw Urban Meyer...he left a jailhouse at Florida for Muschamp to clean up
I agree. Some of this reaction is a defensive attempt to avoid taking responsibility for an absolute dumpster fire that he left for WM. He's been able to win wherever he has gone, but never stuck around long enough to prove that he can sustain success in light of some of his dysfunctional habits. It actually does matter what you were left with.

Reactions: cocky4
Yep....Sometimes bad recruit behaviors make good football players.. depends on how you like to run your program.

Considering Meyer's records at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State, I'd guess that he likes to run a winning program. Maybe Muschamp could use a few more thugs, lol. Just kidding ..... I'll take Will over Urban for the Cocks in the long run. Besides, Meyer just can't get his team to play well against the tiggers.

Yeah....what Urban is really saying is that he does not like the criticism he received for the dumpster fire he left at UF that Muschamp had to take care of. Do I think that what Meyer said is always wrong? No. Do I believe what he said is always right? Certainly not. A coach needs to be held to public accountability for the level of program he ran.

It just shows urban Meyer has poor reading comprehension. Muschamp wasn't talking about inherited players' talent. He was talking about the complete lack of discipline they had off the field. Urban let them do whatever they wanted, including shooting people in Hernandez's case, and didn't say a word as long as they played well on game day. It was a toxic culture for sure.
Nothing tells you more about Urban's values than his former championship qb's own words: "we ain't came to play school." He may be a great football mind, but he's neither an intelligent man, nor a good person.

Yeah but when Urban wasn't winning, he claimed health issues. Hypocrite.

He saw the behemoth Saban was creating and bailed. Everyone knows it. He knows it. It's really the only blemish on an otherwise outstanding coaching career. I imagine that's why he's still obsessing about it. Maybe that's how the great ones are built.

In Muschamp's defense, he only brought it up when he initially took the job here and the press asked why he would succeed at USC and he didn't succeed at Florida. I'm pretty sure he would have been happy to never address the topic again.

Reactions: davidusc
Urban may be a POS but he's on the money. I hate when coaches complain about "inherited" talent. Those are YOUR players.

Considering Meyer's records at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida, and Ohio State, I'd guess that he likes to run a winning program. Maybe Muschamp could use a few more thugs, lol. Just kidding ..... I'll take Will over Urban for the Cocks in the long run. Besides, Meyer just can't get his team to play well against the tiggers.
Florida wasn't that good when Urban left. We just beat them to win the SEC East. Urban used the excuse that his health was bad and retired. Without Tebow his team struggled and his team was very mediocre.

He easily avoids talking about the gangster culture inherited by Champ, Hernandez was just the tip of that iceberg.

Go back to your Taternet board.

Just have to love it when people who disagree with you throw out the taternet card. Try reading my posts .... all of them .... before exposing your room temp IQ to others here, lol!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT