ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Roderick Committed

Give me a team of blue collar players who needs a team of prima donnas. Blue collar players with raw talent can be coached up to 4* or 5* over four years.

I'd rather have Alabama's roster. We'll play your blue collar vandy/Uk like team and win 10 out of 10 times.

QUOTE="jimnasium, post: 3355424, member: 112"]Give me a team of blue collar players who needs a team of prima donnas. Blue collar players with raw talent can be coached up to 4* or 5* over four years.[/QUOTE]

I have seen him play a few times over the last couple years. This guy can flat out play.

And I agree character matters. It is not 'everything' on the field, but I do believe it makes a great difference off the field.

The fact is he is not only a 'character' guy. He is a ball player. And the more guys we get that are a combination of the two, the better. The guy is also an early enrollee. Which in my opinion is always good to have. Mark my words this guy will have an impact. And the star lovers can say whatever they want. But y'all need to watch some damn football and quit believing in these 'stars mean everything' types. Jmo

You are right..more often than not, character is followed by work ethic. Most times, lack of character is followed by lack of work ethic. Sounds like we got a good one this time. Great pick up.

D.J. Swearinger
qwjh6i2ngjc9pyefimct

Safety
3 STARS
Greenwood
Greenwood, SC
RR: 5.7
Ht: 5'10"
Wt: 191 lbs
Class: 2009

POSITION

-
NATIONAL

STATE

Muschamp has already said he loves HS QB's who can play other positions for other positions.

Its funny Roderick's offer list looks a lot like Jaylin Dickerson who also played some QB in HS and who will play a lot as a true freshman, potential 3-4 year starter, not even top 25 in state of NC by rivals last year but has shined in the spring.

I love this pickup and the fact that Clemson was starting to recruit him as a RB in a tight class for them numbers wise, is another sign this is a huge pickup and a underrated player.

Everytime i see an updated picture he looks bigger then last time, seems to be putting on good size

roderick-muschamp_gazbd3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DC-99 and okccock
Strangely enough after Muschamp does the evaluation and offers, that all of a sudden other big schools offer. The other schools are using our coaches work ethic to save them work.

Guys, when we look at a kid's offer list and see Wake Forest/Citadel it's ok for us to not be impressed

Those schools offer 5 stars as well, well Wake does anyways, so that downgrades those players to?

Cane Bay is not a regular stop for alot of schools, and RJ has picked up a lot of offers quickly.

Duke, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and North Carolina State are among the 22 schools to offer.

Clemson has not offered but started recruiting him on Tony Elliott's radar and they want him in camp for further evaluation.

source.gif

Last edited:
His recruiting ranking is partially based on the fact that he plays quarterback but translates to something else in college unless he goes to Georgia Tech or Navy or something. So recruiting services say "he isn't a big time quarterback" and schools are saying "where COULD he play for us?"

I have seen him play several times. Exceptional athlete who could very well be a real find for us. The big question becomes how he transitions to safety. I will say this... He plays quarterback in an option team and is used to constant contact.

Not getting too deep into how WM is recruiting, I like how he is doing it thus far. Guys from winning programs (winning is an attitude and an expectation) who play multiple sports like wrestling and basketball (speaks to athleticism) and most of the kids seem to be pretty good off the field too. Will it translate to W's? I think so, but time will tell.

Reactions: DC-99
Strangely enough after Muschamp does the evaluation and offers, that all of a sudden other big schools offer. The other schools are using our coaches work ethic to save them work.
Exactly since he has been here if we offer first. Other schools come running.

We got Dunta Robinson out of Athens GA because we offered him first. Based on some of the "logic" around here, we should never offer a kid unless Bama offers first.

I think everyone understands talent evaluations, what some people fail to understand is that a rating is not a guarantee. Obviously the greater the ranking, the higher probability said player will be a premier talent. But let's not discount this young man simply because he is not a 5 star. That is ignorant. Recruiting is not an exact science and neither is the star system. Criticize all you want because this is obviously a discussion forum but realize not everyone thinks like you. And also realize this guy could or could not be great.

Honestly who doesn't want all 5 stars? But realists will know that is not plausible and also realize the NFL is full of guys that were 2 through 5 stars. Late bloomers and early peakers are real.

I am happy that Mr Roderick wants to be a Gamecock and you should be too. And I have confidence coach knows how to evaluate defensive backs as well as anyone in the country.

The sad thing is that most of them do understand that ratings aren't guarantees . . . they just ignorantly choose to ignore it. They run from common sense like it's a disease.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT