ADVERTISEMENT

Scoop on Kevin Harris and the Doak Walker Award situation...

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
I just received a clarification on the Doak Walker Award as it pertains to Kevin Harris.

Here's the deal, after having conversations directly with someone involved with the selection process:

- Harris was not on the preseason watch list for the award, which in and of itself is not hard to criticize given that Harris' performance was one that was hard to see coming this season. Regardless, I was told that being on the preseason watch list is not a prerequisite for becoming a semi-finalist (or the winner) for the award.

- It is common for players to be nominated by schools, discussed internally among the Doak Walker Award's leadership, or both during the season and for those players to be added to the list of candidates. There's a list on the award's website right now that does not list Harris on it. I'm told that Harris was discussed, even before his nomination, amongst the appropriate parties. He was just not added to the list, as it wasn't updated back in November when more movement was happening. So, he was considered, even if he's not listed there, according to what I was told.

- The issue that is totally fair for folks to discuss is why Harris then did not make the cut internally from consideration to the final 10. That's obviously the subjective part of all this, and it's totally fair to believe he was snubbed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News