ADVERTISEMENT

Seinfeld predicted it...

That's pretty incredible stuff. If this works well, it seems like this could change everything in cardiology.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a pig heart is what saves us from the effects of a lifetime of eating bacon?
I often question whether particular happenings are either ironic or peculiar coincidence. This definitely seems like it falls in the court of irony.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Don't they have a list?
I wonder if they'll just test all the pigs at the slaughterhouse for donor suitability to a particular recipient or if farmers will start having their animals tested and selling hearts (or any other parts that might be implantable) and taking the profits themselves. There will have to be some sort of tissue-type database to make this work on a widespread basis.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
I wonder if they'll just test all the pigs at the slaughterhouse for donor suitability to a particular recipient or if farmers will start having their animals tested and selling hearts (or any other parts that might be implantable) and taking the profits themselves. There will have to be some sort of tissue-type database to make this work on a widespread basis.
Maybe pigs are like a universal donor. Well, maybe not universal since there are some religions where pigs wouldn't fly. 🙂
But I agree with others that the way of the future will be 3d printed hearts made with your own tissues so no rejection issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watereecock
I can't imagine this would be considered permanent; pigs have short life spans, so not likely that a pig heart would last more than 5-6 more years under ideal conditions, if it's not rejected. If they are genetically engineering pigs with 30+ year life spans then maybe...

I can't imagine this would be considered permanent; pigs have short life spans, so not likely that a pig heart would last more than 5-6 more years under ideal conditions, if it's not rejected. If they are genetically engineering pigs with 30+ year life spans then maybe...
Pigs have a short life span because we eat them.

Reactions: TAV31
Apparently there is some controversy surrounding this since the recipient was found guilty of paralyzing a dude after stabbing him 7 times and then leading the cops on a high speed chase. Paralyzed dude's sister is mad.

But the doctors say a criminal record is no reason to deny someone medical care.

Apparently there is some controversy surrounding this since the recipient was found guilty of paralyzing a dude after stabbing him 7 times and then leading the cops on a high speed chase. Paralyzed dude's sister is mad.

But the doctors say a criminal record is no reason to deny someone medical care.
It could be viewed as high-risk medical experimentation on an expendable patient.

Reactions: TAV31 and leftneck
The Greeks have a more precise word for "practice" as it applies here: praxis. Doctors ought to adopt it because it doesn't carry the same connotation. Clever retort, though.
Ancient Greeks. I think the word means "doing", which is basically the same context as doctors "practicing".

Ancient Greeks. I think the word means "doing", which is basically the same context as doctors "practicing".
Regarding the medical experimentation context of the discussion: all medical treatment involves the "practice" of medicine, but not all "practice" of medicine involves experimentation.

Science is not a result, but a pursuit. Medicine is a particular science that requires changes of approach with a fluid set of circumstances as they reveal themselves, so it is less a final rendering and more an application of methodology. It's a practiced method, not a final product.

This is why many people are up in arms when a single individual, or a small group of individuals, deems themselves "The Science" and not to be questioned.

I think that "praxis" implies mastery of what is being done, an attained proficiency. I see my doctor on the 31st of this month and he won't be practicing on me in the same way I practice golf.
Hope you're not being sized for a pig's heart.

“Greeks, praxis, methodology, attained proficiency, fluid set of circumstances.” Deep. So deep I’m gonna move to another thread. Come back to this one when my mind is sharp. It’s Friday night.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT