ADVERTISEMENT

Serious Question for Offensive Plan vs. UPC

olpolecat

Sep 24, 2019
If you are the OC, what is your plan? I get that there will likely be some smart@$$ comments, but I am genuinely curious as to what some of y'all think. I will not claim to be an X's and O's kind of guy, but I enjoy reading and learning from others that are.

I think the best plan is going to be to try something new...a new OC or something for this game. That defense is scary and you can bet your last dollar they will be coming after Hilinksi. Some people say UGA has the best D, but I think it's between OSU and Clemson. Venables has proven to be the best DC at the college level (currently) and it will only take one of his hidden blitzers coming through unblocked to potentially take out Ryan for the game. Then, I believe we're even more dead in the water. I feel like in the past Venables has been found to be susceptible to trick plays, but I'm not sure how he's been against them the last year or so. Plus, some would require time that I just don't think our O-line can give Ryan against his defense. I don't think they have the size up front they had last year, but they have more speed from what I've seen...and lots of it. I think we might put some yards on the ground, but not over 130.

I think logically and statistically it's not worth watching this game. With that said, I don't think anybody expected the game to be as close as it was last year. I am not a sunshine pumper in the least, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is the game the team has been focused on and puts in the effort and work needed to at least make it a close game. This thread is not about Muschamp and if he beats them whether or not he stays. This thread is hopefully going to be a somewhat-serious conversation of how to beat UPC. Or at least play them close.

It's going to be rough. That said, IMO, our only bet is to do what Tennessee did to us. Heavy protection with crossing routes. Quick drops with fast read and rip. Run draw play from same set.

Won't have a lot of time. Everything needs to be quick developing.

That's my take. It's probably crap, but it's mine.

I think you HAVE to run tempo. If Clemson's defense has a weakness, that's it. They take a while to get set and get the play in. USC also had success running the "bunch" formations last year.

You also have to keep pounding the rock between the hash marks. Clemson's tackling has been a bit suspect this season and plenty of teams have been able to get "3 yards and a cloud of dust". They didn't have the patience to keep at it.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
I'd run the ball and burn the clock as much as possible. The offense can't produce and they're killing the D. Better to frustrate Clemson.

Reactions: Surfside Gamecock
I'm playing Joyner with 2 other backs and letting the chips fall where they may.

The only area were they show a slight crack is run defense between the tackles. I would suggest a power run attack with play action off of that. Obvious passing downs need to be avoided like the plague.

Last edited:
Bring Holtz in as analysts for one game and run his T formation

If you are the OC, what is your plan? I get that there will likely be some smart@$$ comments, but I am genuinely curious as to what some of y'all think. I will not claim to be an X's and O's kind of guy, but I enjoy reading and learning from others that are.

I think the best plan is going to be to try something new...a new OC or something for this game. That defense is scary and you can bet your last dollar they will be coming after Hilinksi. Some people say UGA has the best D, but I think it's between OSU and Clemson. Venables has proven to be the best DC at the college level (currently) and it will only take one of his hidden blitzers coming through unblocked to potentially take out Ryan for the game. Then, I believe we're even more dead in the water. I feel like in the past Venables has been found to be susceptible to trick plays, but I'm not sure how he's been against them the last year or so. Plus, some would require time that I just don't think our O-line can give Ryan against his defense. I don't think they have the size up front they had last year, but they have more speed from what I've seen...and lots of it. I think we might put some yards on the ground, but not over 130.

I think logically and statistically it's not worth watching this game. With that said, I don't think anybody expected the game to be as close as it was last year. I am not a sunshine pumper in the least, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is the game the team has been focused on and puts in the effort and work needed to at least make it a close game. This thread is not about Muschamp and if he beats them whether or not he stays. This thread is hopefully going to be a somewhat-serious conversation of how to beat UPC. Or at least play them close.
130 yds on the ground? What makes you think that is possible against the Clemson defense when we weren't able to break 70 against App State and the Aggies combined?

Repeatedly take three knees and punt. The clock would keep running and get this abomination over with.

Repeatedly take three knees and punt. The clock would keep running and get this abomination over with.
Lol. Maybe use our long snapper all game and burn a few more seconds off the clock while we're at it.

I’d put my tight end in motion and have him knock the piss out of the defensive end we purposely left unblocked. jumpingsmile
I would try the middle of the field passing. Markway may be our best weapon that they won’t double.
Definitely can’t be scared to throw it. They will for sure stop a one dimensional attack.

Reactions: NetworkX
I think you HAVE to run tempo. If Clemson's defense has a weakness, that's it. They take a while to get set and get the play in. USC also had success running the "bunch" formations last year.

You also have to keep pounding the rock between the hash marks. Clemson's tackling has been a bit suspect this season and plenty of teams have been able to get "3 yards and a cloud of dust". They didn't have the patience to keep at it.
If that cloud of dust is the RB falling down from minimal contact then we may be able to manage 3 yards on 3 plays.

Power I formation with a fullback and running back. We do not have a mobile quarterback and his downfield throws have been off the mark. I would concentrate on quick passes to the WRs. You tell Feaster he is going to be the featured back and that he will carry the ball 30 plus times. You also manage the clock by snapping it late, followed by a huddle, and followed by another snap late. Keeping them off the field is the best defense. I do not expect a victory, but I would take this over a blowout and another 63-17 embarrassment. And he will run up the score if he can. He will have his team punch it in for another TD up 35 with 10 seconds to go if given the opportunity. So don't let that happen.

I agree. You have to do something new. However, we'll come out and do the same thing we've always done. Run right, left, RPO to a slant.

Now, to really change things up, we'll bring in our more dual threat QB and only allow him to run the football.

Appreciate your post!

Reactions: NetworkX
Power I formation with a fullback and running back. We do not have a mobile quarterback and his downfield throws have been off the mark. I would concentrate on quick passes to the WRs. You tell Feaster he is going to be the featured back and that he will carry the ball 30 plus times. You also manage the clock by snapping it late, followed by a huddle, and followed by another snap late. Keeping them off the field is the best defense. I do not expect a victory, but I would take this over a blowout and another 63-17 embarrassment. And he will run up the score if he can. He will have his team punch it in for another TD up 35 with 10 seconds to go if given the opportunity. So don't let that happen.
I'm pretty much on the same page. Im going old school. QB and 2 backs. But I'm playing my TEs tight with one wideout. If they are blitzing, I'm hitting my TE right behind it or on a quick out pattern. I'm keeping them close.

You wish!

RH should wear a wig with serious blonde flow. The CU defense will subconsciously think they're scrimmaging and play soft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT