ADVERTISEMENT

Silva Poll Question

viennacocks

Dec 19, 2011
Silva hasn't fouled out of either NCAA tourney game. What is the reason??

1) Playing smarter?
2) Officials letting them play?
3) SEC officials suck?
4) All of the above?

There are no "SEC" officials in basketball. Played against two jump shooting teams.
There are officials that routinely officiate SEC games and are paid by the SEC. You are crazy if you don't believe the SEC provides direction / guidelines for the officials. It's the reason each conference is officiated differently.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I liken it to the fact that possibly the officials are unfamiliar with him & aren't calling as many of the dreaded anticipation fouls.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
There are officials that routinely officiate SEC games and are paid by the SEC. You are crazy if you don't believe the SEC provides direction / guidelines for the officials. It's the reason each conference is officiated differently.

This is not football. They work multiple conferences throughout the year. Yes, the conference determines which refs are on their rotation but a ref can be in Bloomington on Mon and Gainesville on Wed. Refs are contractors and can determine how much they want to work as well.

This is not football. They work multiple conferences throughout the year. Yes, the conference determines which refs are on their rotation but a ref can be in Bloomington on Mon and Gainesville on Wed. Refs are contractors and can determine how much they want to work as well.
Dude. If I pay a 3rd party at my place of employment, they represent myself and my company. They are paid by the SEC so they are SEC officials for that night. I understand how it works.

He was in foul trouble in the first game just didn't get the last foul, sat a good position due to fouls though...

Against Duke... he just played his best game on pretty much all levels.

He was in foul trouble in the first game just didn't get the last foul, sat a good position due to fouls though...

Against Duke... he just played his best game on pretty much all levels.
But played the entire first half with one foul. When had that happened in SEC play?

Reactions: lawcalcock
But played the entire first half with one foul. When had that happened in SEC play?

Amen: in SEC games you can almost sense the refs counting to 10 to call one one or two on him whether touches anyone or not...On many of the league calls there is just nothing there resembling a foul

I think the biggest thing for him is he has changed his moves a little bit on offense. He is not getting the offensive fouls he used to get when he would lower his shoulder and plow right through the defender. He now uses more spin moves and tries to get off his opponents hip rather than ramming him in the chest. He was usually good for 2 offensive fouls a game. He had none the other night and ended with 3 total fouls.

I think the biggest thing for him is he has changed his moves a little bit on offense. He is not getting the offensive fouls he used to get when he would lower his shoulder and plow right through the defender. He now uses more spin moves and tries to get off his opponents hip rather than ramming him in the chest. He was usually good for 2 offensive fouls a game. He had none the other night and ended with 3 total fouls.
True. As quick as he is, he has no business trying to go through players. Needs to go around them. I do remember a good many offensive fouls early in the year but don't remember too many down the stretch (although I could be wrong).

I think it's all of the above. What you mentioned (playing smarter), the non-SEC officials letting them play and the SEC officials calling touch-fouls because of his reputation. I think the NCAA tourney will really help Silva's reputation. As a local radio personality would say, "he's becoming commodity". He should start getting the benefit of the doubt next year.

He has played two full years. He is just better now. He will be a monster as a senior

He's gonna be so good as a junior, I just hope he doesn't pull a Ronaldo Balkman on us. I hope these guys (Dozier, Silva) seeing how much Thornwell benefited from playing 4 years of major college basketball is benefiting him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT