ADVERTISEMENT

Since Joining the SEC in ‘91

Bud Wiser

Aug 14, 2021
6 teams, half of the number of teams when we joined, have won National Titles.

Over that span of time, the conference has won 16 National Titles in Football, which is remarkable considering the programs Nebraska, Miami, and So Cal built during that time. (Alabama - 7, Florida - 3, LSU - 3, Auburn - 1, Tennessee - 1, Georgia -1). This doesn’t even count an undefeated Auburn team that was left out of the BCS Championship in 2004, which is hard to even imagine now.

3 different SEC teams have won a National Title in the past 3 seasons. Since 1991, no conference has sent more than 3 programs to play for a National Title. That’s a crazy stat.

Bottom line…a lot of teams in our conference are capable. But there are a lot of powerhouse programs to overcome.

Over that span of time, the conference has won 16 National Titles in Football, which is remarkable considering the programs Nebraska, Miami, and So Cal built during that time. (Alabama - 7, Florida - 3, LSU - 3, Auburn - 1, Tennessee - 1, Georgia -1). This doesn’t even count an undefeated Auburn team that was left out of the BCS Championship in 2004, which is hard to even imagine now.

3 different SEC teams have won a National Title in the past 3 seasons. Since 1991, no conference has sent more than 3 programs to play for a National Title. That’s a crazy stat.

Bottom line…a lot of teams in our conference are capable. But there are a lot of powerhouse programs to overcome.

SEC! SEC! SEC! Doesn't that get old for you? We joined the SEC to win Championships - not to be a stepping stone on the way for UGAY, UF, and UT.

SEC! SEC! SEC! Doesn't that get old for you? We joined the SEC to win Championships - not to be a stepping stone on the way for UGAY, UF, and UT.
I simply put facts on a post. Nowhere did I act like I was proud. Did you read the last sentence? Perhaps I wasn’t clear in saying it is “us” that has a lot to overcome. That’s the goal.

I was telling some of my buddies today that there is no reason we can't win a NC in football. As we all know, universities all around us have won NCs in football. There is no reason, at least in my opinion, that we can't do the same thing. We've just got to get the right leadership and put our money in the right place. If Clemson can do it so can we.

I was telling some of my buddies today that there is no reason we can't win a NC in football. As we all know, universities all around us have won NCs in football. There is no reason, at least in my opinion, that we can't do the same thing. We've just got to get the right leadership and put our money in the right place. If Clemson can do it so can we.
We could easily have had ours many years ago but for our ill fated trip to Annapolis on a windy wintry day before most of y’all were born. And we’d only won eight games in a season I think twice before that. Anything can happen.

Have said it for years. We obviously play in a super conference...and the only thing you can do to keep your head above water or trend toward the top of your division for a small stretch of years is to be 100% football 365 and hire the best talent to coach and compete. With our setup...we need to be on the forefront of finding and grabbing EARLY the Gus Malzahns, Kendal Briles type guys on either side of the ball to balance out the power that 4-5 programs in our conference have annually.

The key is patience. We need to do what Kentucky's done. Slowly build a team that is competitive, moving ahead of teams in the east one by one. This won't happen overnight. Expecting 9 or 10 wins next year and then calling for a coaching change when it doesn't happen is the last thing we need.

I've got faith that Beamer can get this done.

I am proud of our school. We are in the best conference and we have won SEC championships in all sports and NCAA championships all the other sports except football (maybe soccer?).

The key is patience. We need to do what Kentucky's done. Slowly build a team that is competitive, moving ahead of teams in the east one by one. This won't happen overnight. Expecting 9 or 10 wins next year and then calling for a coaching change when it doesn't happen is the last thing we need.

I don’t see Kentucky winning a Title in Football. Our program has more potential than theirs. I personally like what we seem to be doing…making a splash in recruiting and hopefully we’ll pass teams sooner than later. We have a coach that should stick around for a long time if we can just get it done.

I don’t see Kentucky winning a Title in Football. Our program has more potential than theirs. I personally like what we seem to be doing…making a splash in recruiting and hopefully we’ll pass teams sooner than later. We have a coach that should stick around for a long time if we can just get it done.
I agree. Stoops has built an impressive program (for Kentucky), but we were right there and really should have beaten them in Beamer's first year. My point was more along the lines of we need Kentucky's stability to build into a competitive program that should have a much higher ceiling than UK.

Have you met our fanbase? 😄

In all seriousness, I do agree. We're going to suffer some more unpleasant times before we get where we want to be. But I have a really good feeling about CSB too.

Would you rather be a stepping stone for whoever the geek we could schedule as an independent and not have the final 4 and two baseball national championships SEC money and peetoge helped us win just because your aren't patient enough to trust that this is the best place for the stars to align for us eventually? That is of course unless you simply think we can never have the stars align for us to win anywhere in which case you should stop caring what happens at all. What some of y'all need to realize is that we were working out of offices and facilities from the sixties and seventies with a nearly bankrupt Athletics Department until Hyman and Spurrier dragged us into the modern Era. Our year zero was '08 for even being positioned to attract talent to begin to compete for anything, ultimately we've had our three greatest seasons ever since then and everyone wants to burn it directly because we made one really bad hire in Muschamp. Clemson went on the run they did because their fans got pissed about losing to us, y'all watch your rivals have their greatest success and want to give up. That's damned shameful, thankfully Beamer doesn't think like some of you.

“ If Clemson can do it so can we “?? What does this mean?

Go back and look how long Florida was in the league before they were a force.

Reactions: surfincock
Would you rather be a stepping stone for whoever the geek we could schedule as an independent and not have the final 4 and two baseball national championships SEC money and peetoge helped us win just because your aren't patient enough to trust that this is the best place for the stars to align for us eventually? That is of course unless you simply think we can never have the stars align for us to win anywhere in which case you should stop caring what happens at all. What some of y'all need to realize is that we were working out of offices and facilities from the sixties and seventies with a nearly bankrupt Athletics Department until Hyman and Spurrier dragged us into the modern Era. Our year zero was '08 for even being positioned to attract talent to begin to compete for anything, ultimately we've had our three greatest seasons ever since then and everyone wants to burn it directly because we made one really bad hire in Muschamp. Clemson went on the run they did because their fans got pissed about losing to us, y'all watch your rivals have their greatest success and want to give up. That's damned shameful, thankfully Beamer doesn't think like some of you.

I've been around for a long time and you sound just like we have when we get a new coach for the first 2-3 seasons. Sold on him until season 4-5. I remember when Brad Scott was the talk of Columbia. So I get it...live your your fantasy. Its happened over and over.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I've been around for a long time and you sound just like we have when we get a new coach for the first 2-3 seasons. Sold on him until season 4-5. I remember when Brad Scott was the talk of Columbia. So I get it...live your your fantasy. Its happened over and over.
Budget and money are the reasons the 90s would never be good, chief, keep living your defeat. Every national championship we've won in every sport has happened since 2008. Let go of history, it's all that's holding you back.

Budget and money are the reasons the 90s would never be good, chief, keep living your defeat. Every national championship we've won in every sport has happened since 2008. Let go of history, it's all that's holding you back.
We are celebrating a 7-6 football season and our Baseball and BB team is less than average. Are we talking Women's BB?

We are celebrating a 7-6 football season and our Baseball and BB team is less than average. Are we talking Women's BB?
Did you forget the bowl wins, final four, two baseball championships and multiple minor sport championships. Prior to '08 all we had was a football conference championship, and less than ten conference titles in basketball going back to the southern conference days. If you think of 08 as year zero, we're doing fine. We only look hopeless when you think of all the decades prior where all we had was outside forces working against us

What about the year we finished 3rd, with Clowney and friends. Had that UcheaT receiver caught that crazy azz pass, we may have played for it all

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Did you forget the bowl wins, final four, two baseball championships and multiple minor sport championships. Prior to '08 all we had was a football conference championship, and less than ten conference titles in basketball going back to the southern conference days. If you think of 08 as year zero, we're doing fine. We only look hopeless when you think of all the decades prior where all we had was outside forces working against us

Ok...We are a top 25 team in football, basketball, and baseball now? What outside forces?

Ok...We are a top 25 team in football, basketball, and baseball now? What outside forces?
The agrarian populist running the state prior to ww2 actively working to strengthen clemson and hurt SC because they thought it would help farmers, the working class and protect what was left of the planter social order, clemson has twice as many students as Carolina between 1895 and 1910 and Carolina enrollment was down some 70% from what it was before the 1880s. We didn't surpass Clemson in enrollment until about the 60s.

In the 50s and 60s we were hurt by the fact that SC public schools were bad and the ACC had strict athletic admission standards.

In the 70s and 80s we were unburdened by politics and had our best cutback teams to that point by were also suffering through the financial burdens of Independent athletics. When we joined the SEC we had to gain ground to get out of debt and the last barrier was entirely our fault and that was bad fundraising.

Idgad if the three programs aren't ranked right now because that didn't dictate the ceiling. None of the three are at their all time lows and all three have had their all time highs since 2008 and none of it would've happened without the SEC.

And by the way, we're projected to 25 next year for every publication that have an opinion yet. We will be stronger on offense and defense next year (only one starter won't be a senior next year). And regardless how you feel about him, if you go on reddit the consensus every time Beamer comes up is that all of our rivals are terrified that he'll make us good and they're all convinced he'll get great players to come here because he's too likeable and genuine. And we just doubled what everyone thought we are capable of in football, so why would we leave the SEC over the last few years when our roster next year will already be significantly better than our roster this year?

Just curious but what has patience ever gotten us? Contrary to what some on here think and have said in this thread we are possibly the most patient fanbase in America with nothing to show for it.

Just curious but what has patience ever gotten us? Contrary to what some on here think and have said in this thread we are possibly the most patient fanbase in America with nothing to show for it.
I think you are confusing patience with loyalty.

Being patient enough to allow someone actually build a program instead of changing coaches like some change their underwear because they didn't reach a certain goal in some arbitrary time frame is not the same as still showing up regardless because we love our Alma Mater.

The agrarian populist running the state prior to ww2 actively working to strengthen clemson and hurt SC because they thought it would help farmers, the working class and protect what was left of the planter social order, clemson has twice as many students as Carolina between 1895 and 1910 and Carolina enrollment was down some 70% from what it was before the 1880s. We didn't surpass Clemson in enrollment until about the 60s.

In the 50s and 60s we were hurt by the fact that SC public schools were bad and the ACC had strict athletic admission standards.

In the 70s and 80s we were unburdened by politics and had our best cutback teams to that point by were also suffering through the financial burdens of Independent athletics. When we joined the SEC we had to gain ground to get out of debt and the last barrier was entirely our fault and that was bad fundraising.

Idgad if the three programs aren't ranked right now because that didn't dictate the ceiling. None of the three are at their all time lows and all three have had their all time highs since 2008 and none of it would've happened without the SEC.

And by the way, we're projected to 25 next year for every publication that have an opinion yet. We will be stronger on offense and defense next year (only one starter won't be a senior next year). And regardless how you feel about him, if you go on reddit the consensus every time Beamer comes up is that all of our rivals are terrified that he'll make us good and they're all convinced he'll get great players to come here because he's too likeable and genuine. And we just doubled what everyone thought we are capable of in football, so why would we leave the SEC over the last few years when our roster next year will already be significantly better than our roster this year?
I doubt "all" SC's rivals are "terrified." Despite what Reddit says. We can acknowledge the progress without fear.

Being patient enough to allow someone actually build a program instead of changing coaches like some change their underwear because they didn't reach a certain goal in some arbitrary time frame is not the same as still showing up regardless because we love our Alma Mater.
Not at all. We are extremely patient...to a fault...even in baseball. LSU fired their baseball coach even though he went to Omaha...us...well you know. We settle. Different mindsets here.

Not at all. We are extremely patient...to a fault...even in baseball. LSU fired their baseball coach even though he went to Omaha...us...well you know. We settle. Different mindsets here.
We fired CH after year 5. CMK is only going into his 4th season (2020 doesn't count). It would have been completely asinine to have fired him before now. Omaha is NOT a given, contrary to what many have convinced themselves of. Hosting, as a 1 seed, in the post season is the most realistic goal each season. Omaha, of course, if always a goal, but honestly is just icing on the cake because, again, it is SO very hard to get there. It would be MUCH easier to break into the CFP than get to Omaha every year.

We could easily have had ours many years ago but for our ill fated trip to Annapolis on a windy wintry day before most of y’all were born. And we’d only won eight games in a season I think twice before that. Anything can happen.
That loss to Navy still breaks my heart. That was a special year. I realize Spurrier did more. But in my opinion, he never re-created the "magic" that was 1984!

I doubt "all" SC's rivals are "terrified." Despite what Reddit says. We can acknowledge the progress without fear.
I overstated, I've read a slew of forensic fans that are excited that the rivalry will be competitive again, some that have said they're scared of what he might do and some that think in a few years we'll shift the dynamic between us and hurt them long term. I've seen Georgia fans say Beamer may take some from y'all but also believe Georgia is the dominant power in the East for the next decade and frankly with all the advantages y'all have, who's to argue.

I overstated, I've read a slew of forensic fans that are excited that the rivalry will be competitive again, some that have said they're scared of what he might do and some that think in a few years we'll shift the dynamic between us and hurt them long term. I've seen Georgia fans say Beamer may take some from y'all but also believe Georgia is the dominant power in the East for the next decade and frankly with all the advantages y'all have, who's to argue.
I like Beamer. It's hard not to. I find myself kind of rooting for the guy - obviously except for one game every year. I don't think you can overstate how important this upcoming season is for him and his program. He's gotta keep the momentum.

What about the year we finished 3rd, with Clowney and friends. Had that UcheaT receiver caught that crazy azz pass, we may have played for it all
Exactly this, people are so short sighted. Everyone would love to have the last few years Kentucky had, but the only East teams that have come as close to contending as us since the end of the Holtz tenure is Florida and Georgia both of whom won it. Beyond that, y'all may want Kentucky's record, but I don't think anyone would want to trade then for instate talent, alumni size an enrollment and they only make 10 mil more a year and that's basically with a basketball dynasty and sustained football success. For all Kentucky is doing, we have more natural advantages, just need good coaches that can take advantage, they still have the history in BB though.

7 - 5
8 - 5
6 - 6
7 - 6
7 - 6

If we had fired the coach after that streak, we would have missed

9 - 5
11 - 2
11 - 2
11 - 2

If Spurrier hadn't been honest and not announced he was only going to be here a year or two more, I think that success could have been sustained.

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
LOL- ditto! I'm all for positivity and ascensions, etc. But those of us who have been around have already lived this several times. We wish/hope/pray/try for the best....but ultimately the pedigree and past proven results are the best drivers toward actual program accomplishment (see Holtz, SOS). One reason why I am now so impatient and understanding there is no time to waste.

Totally disagree. I think you're equating loyalty with naivete.
This was a warm and fuzzy SEC football season we just had. We had a lot of good luck...and I'm glad of it. It will only get harder the next two years.
Loyalty, patience, resilience and commitment. If you're a Gamecock fan pre-2011 and still around...you possess all those qualities in relation to USC.
...And those timeframes aren't arbitrary. If you're on the business end of this...you look at what you made, didn't make and effectively lost due to the win column and interest around the football program. There haVE to be time limits in place.

Totally disagree. I think you're equating loyalty with naivete.
This was a warm and fuzzy SEC football season we just had. We had a lot of good luck...and I'm glad of it. It will only get harder the next two years.
Loyalty, patience, resilience and commitment. If you're a Gamecock fan pre-2011 and still around...you possess all those qualities in relation to USC.
...And those timeframes aren't arbitrary. If you're on the business end of this...you look at what you made, didn't make and effectively lost due to the win column and interest around the football program. There haVE to be time limits in place.
The absolute LAST thing I am after 47 years is naïve.

I think the problem is that you old timers have just lived through too much. I turn thirty this year, started following everything in '02. In all the time I've followed Carolina diurnal we've been pretty comparable over that time to Tennessee and Kentucky in terms of relevance over that stretch and that's really not bad, it's average with some crap and glory in it, and frankly Tennessee has cheated its ass off about half that time under the different coaches just to be average in that time. Y'all are looking at decades of pain with a bankrupt athletic department and trying to be relevant as an independent that y'all really don't appreciate how much has changed to actually position us to be able to have success.

Reactions: suncock
LOL- you see I don't see wisdom as a problem. We have not lived through too much because we're still here.
No - some of us older folks just know which universities are committed to winning football games. Not much of that ever changes. Tennessee, Clemson, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Auburn, A&M...the list continues....these programs have been committed to winning football games for 50 plus years without question. Serious commitment. Even during times when they hired the "wrong" guy....at the time he was "right" and had a lot of promise and hype.
Maybe you hire a 33 year old Ray Goff...but he gets Emsfinger to run the Offense because you're trying to keep up with UF's "new" coach named Spurrier. E. Zeier and company did some big numbers. Wasn't the perfect fit...but they tried like h#ll. It was a good fit though...and they were a good program but didn't make as crucial a hire as UF and Bama did in the 90-93 timeframe. It's all nuance with a lot of greys....but the programs that are intent on winning in the SEC are easy to see.

Good post. Will Muschamp's 5 years derailed progress significantly and at a critical juncture. He should never have been at USC for that long with the product he was fielding. At year 3, it was painfully obvious that any momentum we had from the Spurrier era was lost.

We've been in the Top 20 of recruiting for quite some time in football with consistent Top 50-70 finishes. That an in-house issue which hopefully is being addressed with the Beamer hire. Time will tell.

Yep, and the doormats are the same teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT